General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Helios518 wrote:What are some ways to make a character stronger besides regular training and transformations?
Hmm, tough one. I'd have to go with the sappy answer and say determination (sorry ekrolo :P). Or for Saiyans, you could always go Zenkai.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Helios518 wrote:Here's my question, What are some ways to make a character stronger besides regular training and transformations?
Learning techniques that work like the Kaio-ken. It's either that or things like Guru and Old Kai's potential unlocks (or more lore-based unlocks like the water Goku drank in Ball). If we're talking one-time boosts, it's also possible for people to lend one person their energy.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Or just use the power of friendship, like every good story does, just look at Fairy Tail!

*runs for the hills*
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Helios518 wrote:Here's my question, What are some ways to make a character stronger besides regular training and transformations?
Maybe consider using magic and technology?

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:05 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Fighting intution
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:08 pm

General Discussion #6:
Another yea or nay one. I have no plans for this, but figured I'd bring it up. Rampant SSJ3s?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Fighting intution
Fighting Intuition? How would that work?

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:15 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Fighting intution
Fighting Intuition? How would that work?
Gintoki vs Benizakaru is a great example
Kuro Tenshi

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:58 pm

I'd say magical power-ups (like elder Guru or the elder Kaioshin), permanent fusions (like Piccolo's), or even through technology, as mentioned before.

I have a question too... there's this fan fiction I still plan on writing some day and I want it to focus on the earthlings by developing them into the main heroes; would you guys find it more interesting if it was more exclusive to them (similar to DBM's universe 9), or if I kept the saiyans (like Vegeta) around but still maintaining focus on the earthlings?
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Rubens wrote:
I'd say magical power-ups (like elder Guru or the elder Kaioshin), permanent fusions (like Piccolo's), or even through technology, as mentioned before.

I have a question too... there's this fan fiction I still plan on writing some day nand I want it to focus on the earthlings by developing them into the main heroes; would you guys find it more interesting if it was more exclusive to them (similar to DBM's universe 9), or if I kept the saiyans (like Vegeta) around but still maintaining focus on the earthlings?

I still like to know the side characters are in the background and see them from time to time
Kuro Tenshi

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Thank you all for answering my question!
Rubens wrote: I have a question too... there's this fan fiction I still plan on writing some day and I want it to focus on the earthlings by developing them into the main heroes; would you guys find it more interesting if it was more exclusive to them (similar to DBM's universe 9), or if I kept the saiyans (like Vegeta) around but still maintaining focus on the earthlings?
So like a world with just the humans like Goku never existed or a world with that's very similar to our DB but just focusing the humans,right? If that's what it is then I find the latter to be more interesting but limits what you can do with the earthlings.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Rubens wrote:I have a question too... there's this fan fiction I still plan on writing some day and I want it to focus on the earthlings by developing them into the main heroes; would you guys find it more interesting if it was more exclusive to them (similar to DBM's universe 9), or if I kept the saiyans (like Vegeta) around but still maintaining focus on the earthlings?
I'd just say Goku's ship never made it to Earth and people like Krillin, Tien, Yamcha had to make due without him. By putting Goku in there, you're immediately gonna limit what the human cast can do in the eyes of the readers.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:07 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Rubens wrote:I have a question too... there's this fan fiction I still plan on writing some day and I want it to focus on the earthlings by developing them into the main heroes; would you guys find it more interesting if it was more exclusive to them (similar to DBM's universe 9), or if I kept the saiyans (like Vegeta) around but still maintaining focus on the earthlings?
I'd just say Goku's ship never made it to Earth and people like Krillin, Tien, Yamcha had to make due without him. By putting Goku in there, you're immediately gonna limit what the human cast can do in the eyes of the readers.
Readers are going to judge whatever you're going to do when you write with the non saiyans in mind, but with good enough planning you can write Goku in the mix and still have the humans as the top heroes.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:25 am

Helios518 wrote:So like a world with just the humans like Goku never existed or a world with that's very similar to our DB but just focusing the humans,right? If that's what it is then I find the latter to be more interesting but limits what you can do with the earthlings.
ekrolo2 wrote:I'd just say Goku's ship never made it to Earth and people like Krillin, Tien, Yamcha had to make due without him. By putting Goku in there, you're immediately gonna limit what the human cast can do in the eyes of the readers.
FoolsGil wrote:Readers are going to judge whatever you're going to do when you write with the non saiyans in mind, but with good enough planning you can write Goku in the mix and still have the humans as the top heroes.
First off, thank you all for your replies; secondly, I would like to apologize because I should have been more clear.

My idea right know consists on having Goku not to turn into a good guy - in other words, he would be just "Kakarot" instead. I've alreary thought out possibilities to keep him around on Earth without inicially becoming the major threat. The question is then, would that be interesting or a bit corny? Especially since the repercussions in the later part of the story (corresponding to the "Z age") would be inevitable. But there's two reasons why I think the saiyans (Vegeta, this version of "Kakarot" and maybe Nappa & Raditz) should be kept around: first, they would be acknowdleged as an ever-present threat, becoming a motivation for the humans to train and improve; second, it could also be usefull to establish a parallel between earthlings and saiyans. On another note, the advantage of Goku being evil is that he wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as his cannon counterpart (due to a different mindset) which I believe it could actually hinder Vegeta's development, for instance.

While there are limits to what I can do with them, I agree with that, I've considered ways to power them up and there's such an array of techniques used throughout the series (including movies, etc.) that may allow them to defeat the main villains - with a bit of a stretch ocasionally. But possible, I think.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 am

Rubens wrote:First off, thank you all for your replies; secondly, I would like to apologize because I should have been more clear.

My idea right know consists on having Goku not to turn into a good guy - in other words, he would be just "Kakarot" instead. I've alreary thought out possibilities to keep him around on Earth without inicially becoming the major threat. The question is then, would that be interesting or a bit corny? Especially since the repercussions in the later part of the story (corresponding to the "Z age") would be inevitable. But there's two reasons why I think the saiyans (Vegeta, this version of "Kakarot" and maybe Nappa & Raditz) should be kept around: first, they would be acknowdleged as an ever-present threat, becoming a motivation for the humans to train and improve; second, it could also be usefull to establish a parallel between earthlings and saiyans. On another note, the advantage of Goku being evil is that he wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as his cannon counterpart (due to a different mindset) which I believe it could actually hinder Vegeta's development, for instance.

While there are limits to what I can do with them, I agree with that, I've considered ways to power them up and there's such an array of techniques used throughout the series (including movies, etc.) that may allow them to defeat the main villains - with a bit of a stretch ocasionally. But possible, I think.
Goku turning out weaker due to his mindset would actually fit in really well within the established series. It's implied but never outright stated that the reason the Saiyan's never advanced anywhere close to the heights its few remaining survivors in U7 are is because they had no concept of self-improvement. All they did is just fight as much as they could and if their power grew from it, cool if not whatever.

Vegeta pretty much spent almost 30 years fighting and he reached the towering height of 18 000 when we first meet him. Within the next few years after some good hard training? He was in the hundreds of millions at the very least by age 35.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 am

I've been trying to write a sequel to the manga using the next generation as the main characters. Problem is that obviously Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are so ridiculously above everyone else that having them not fight any enemy would be stupid. So, I figured I had to get rid of them somehow.

I thought about a new enemy coming in and Goku doing something so reckless that Vegeta gets killed off permanently (as in, body and soul). Of course, he'd get closure before then. This would also let me explore more mature themes in the series without being unnecessarily edgy. Goku would blame himself for the situation and quit martial arts as a result (at least until a certain point in the story). Which only leaves Gohan. I figured I'd go the Super/GT route and just have him lose his power due to not training, but that'd piss a lot of people off, wouldn't it? :lol:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:08 am

Doctor. wrote:I've been trying to write a sequel to the manga using the next generation as the main characters. Problem is that obviously Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are so ridiculously above everyone else that having them not fight any enemy would be stupid. So, I figured I had to get rid of them somehow.

I thought about a new enemy coming in and Goku doing something so reckless that Vegeta gets killed off permanently (as in, body and soul). Of course, he'd get closure before then. This would also let me explore more mature themes in the series without being unnecessarily edgy. Goku would blame himself for the situation and quit martial arts as a result (at least until a certain point in the story). Which only leaves Gohan. I figured I'd go the Super/GT route and just have him lose his power due to not training, but that'd piss a lot of people off, wouldn't it? :lol:
You would most definitely piss some people off but I'd argue those people don't get that Gohan was always more of a nerd than fighter :P

I don't know if Goku would quit under those circumstances but you could bring up an interesting point if Goku's recklessness comes from him knowing in the back of his head that he can fix everything with the DBs when everything's said and done.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:09 am

Doctor. wrote:I've been trying to write a sequel to the manga using the next generation as the main characters. Problem is that obviously Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are so ridiculously above everyone else that having them not fight any enemy would be stupid. So, I figured I had to get rid of them somehow.

Since I am already doing that very thing, I can tell you that doing something so drastic really isn't necessary to bring in the younger fighters. Since Goku and Vegeta are at that universal level of power now that they have Blue, it's easy to make reasons for them to not be around all the time. Not just "They're busy training with Whis", but things like "They're off fighting someone in Universe 12". You don't have to kill them off. The very first thing that happens in my fanfic is that Goku and Vegeta go to Zen'ou's tournament right after Z ends. (I came up with that before Resurrection F even existed.) That's enough of an excuse to let other people get the focus for a while.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:11 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't know if Goku would quit under those circumstances but you could bring up an interesting point if Goku's recklessness comes from him knowing in the back of his head that he can fix everything with the DBs when everything's said and done.
Probably not, but I really wanna write something unexpected with Goku. Him quitting martial arts is about as unexpected as you can get.
Alruneia wrote:

Since I am already doing that very thing, I can tell you that doing something so drastic really isn't necessary to bring in the younger fighters. Since Goku and Vegeta are at that universal level of power now that they have Blue, it's easy to make reasons for them to not be around all the time. Not just "They're busy training with Whis", but things like "They're off fighting someone in Universe 12". You don't have to kill them off. The very first thing that happens in my fanfic is that Goku and Vegeta go to Zen'ou's tournament right after Z ends. (I came up with that before Resurrection F even existed.) That's enough of an excuse to let other people get the focus for a while.
Yeah, but I'd be following the manga, so no GT or Super.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 am

Doctor. wrote: Yeah, but I'd be following the manga, so no GT or Super.
Weeell... Super's manga.
But I get where you're coming from.