General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Kanassa » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Next Question: Pilaf Gang. Yay or nay?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Kanassa wrote:Next Question: Pilaf Gang. Yay or nay?
Yea if utilized well. If they're kids, just make Mai as adorable as you possibly can.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Yea if utilized well. If they're kids, just make Mai as adorable as you possibly can.
My fic is set in Future Trunks's timeline, so they're adults... With the joke being that they were such bad villains back in the day that Bulma can't recognise them.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, little Mai is the cutest! In fact, replace Pilaf and Soba with clones of little Mai.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 pm

I vote yay. Seeing them use their underdog villain status to mess with the gang has lots of comedic potential
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:20 am

I've become biased against them because of Super, but I'm sure it's possible to write them in a way that would make me say yay... somehow. Their depiction in Super has been so bad that the first thing that comes to mind about "Pilaf Gang" is "annoying" now, but all it takes to fix that is to change that characterisation, if only slightly, and show it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:33 am

Yay, but Super has taught me that they're definitely best off in moderation. The Pilaf Gang is like your favorite candy... you always love it when you eat it, but you shouldn't be eating it every day.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:57 pm

General Discussion #5:
Zen-chan; yea or nay?

(I don't know why I'm keeping track of this...)
MyAnimeList | AniList

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
(I don't know why I'm keeping track of this...)
Because you're weird, ike the rest of us. Now go read your god damn fanficton!

Kanassa wrote:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Zen-chan; yea or nay?
An overpowered character such as Zen'ou can be difficult to write plot around. You have to be careful when using him, since he can easily end any arc immediately. Super is tackling this problem in the Black arc, since Goku can summon him at any time. The easiest solution in Super's case is to have a reason (mostly Goku's personality) for Goku to not summon him, because otherwise, he has an "End the Arc" button every time things get dire. Any fan fiction including Zen'ou in the plot would also have to come up with a reason for him to not end the arc immediately, which is not easy to get right. Basically: For fun, yay. During serious plot, nay.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:56 pm

I guess his biggest relevance would have to be giving directions, but on a bigger scale, like, "Looking for X? Go to Universe Y and you'll find Z to help you!"

Also, a random note, for anyone who IS actually reading my fic, you could ask me if I'm going to be using this or that character, and there's a chance I'll tell you. Depends on how interested you are. :D
MyAnimeList | AniList

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Does anyone else find writing fight scenes the most boring part of any story? I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I could write a story about two guys just shooting the shit on a couch or something for the whole thing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else find writing fight scenes the most boring part of any story? I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I could write a story about two guys just shooting the shit on a couch or something for the whole thing.
Honestly, most fights bore me to tears. Even in visual mediums, unless it's done unusually well, I could easily fall asleep. As someone who isn't a writer, that's my take.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else find writing fight scenes the most boring part of any story?
Only the most difficult, but not boring. It's much easier to do so in a comic or manga adaptation, though. Still, it's a good way to develop your characters' fighting styles.
MyAnimeList | AniList

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else find writing fight scenes the most boring part of any story?
Only the most difficult, but not boring. It's much easier to do so in a comic or manga adaptation, though. Still, it's a good way to develop your characters' fighting styles.

That works for other series but for DB? Not very well from my experience. Must have something to do with them all having two types of attacks, punches and slight variations on planet cracking lasers :P

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone else find writing fight scenes the most boring part of any story? I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I could write a story about two guys just shooting the shit on a couch or something for the whole thing.
I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!
I am dreading writing the final fight of the arc I'm currently working on. Not because it isn't tense or anything, but simply because it's boring to write. Counting all the phases of the battle, and there are many, it'll last for around 10 chapters. That's about 26,000 words to write (my chapters are all exactly 2600 words long). It's just extreme to even think about. I'm almost at the point where I have to begin, too. Once I introduce Universe 8's Goddess of Destruction (she's not the enemy), which is what I'm almost at, there's as good as nothing left before it all kicks off... I'll cut myself off before I spoil my plot. :P

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:29 pm

Alruneia wrote:I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!
I am dreading writing the final fight of the arc I'm currently working on. Not because it isn't tense or anything, but simply because it's boring to write. Counting all the phases of the battle, and there are many, it'll last for around 10 chapters. That's about 26,000 words to write (my chapters are all exactly 2600 words long). It's just extreme to even think about. I'm almost at the point where I have to begin, too. Once I introduce Universe 8's Goddess of Destruction (she's not the enemy), which is what I'm almost at, there's as good as nothing left before it all kicks off... I'll cut myself off before I spoil my plot. :P
I found myself in a similar position with my rewrite fic of Resurrection F. From Freeza and his armies arrival to the end of the story, there's exactly 10 chapters worth of fighting :P

The best way not make it a total drag was to invent different situations for the characters to deal with. For the humans, Freeza's army attacks the city meaning Krillin, Yamcha, Tien,... had to fight in a city full of people who they could kill if they went all out so that handicapped them. 17 and 18 had to use sneaking tactics to beat Aka,... Basically varying up what each fighter had to do is what I'd recommend for you to keep things as fresh as possible.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:30 pm

It's not boring, it's just difficult. Even as I finish writing up my Android 13 fight for my fic, I'm constantly getting stumped on how to make the fight seem less repetative...

Kanassa wrote:

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Here's my question, What are some ways to make a character stronger besides regular training and transformations?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Helios518 wrote:Here's my question, What are some ways to make a character stronger besides regular training and transformations?
Through the power of friendship and determination!

In all seriousness, though, if you want to diversify how a character gets stronger that's outside the standard for DB, I'd suggest focusing on giving them new techniques. This is kind of tricky without coming off as completely off for the series you're writing but it'll make more interesting training sequences and fights later down the line if you break off from the standard punch, kick, laser formula.