DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Ajay » Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Excellent episode!

One of the best in quite a while. Barely any lines that fell flat for me. I laughed from beginning to end.

God, the Cell lips thing slayed me.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat May 30, 2015 8:59 pm

I could be overthinking this, but...was the Krillin/Bulma exchange about 'protection' a reference to a line in this video that someone from the forum made a few years back? Cuz it instantly made me think back to that. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 30, 2015 10:27 pm

The end made me laugh, and the part with Tien as well
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:09 pm

The Kikoho scene was amazing! What was the music used during it?

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Sun May 31, 2015 12:12 am

Oh man, I feel plain spoiled at this point with all those episodes coming out so close together. Waiting for 49 is going to be so hard, especially since I only caught up to Abridged a little before 47 was released.

I love that Cell is still a giant mess of a creature, even after the upgrade. He's basically a psychopathic manchild taken to the extreme, it's great. The lips thing slayed me, as did EXTREME early 1990s 17, and the exchange concerning the frequency of deaths in the Z Warriors' company. But then, Krillin receiving the detonator from Bulma... That was surprisingly heavy.

Can I talk about the characterization of 16, 17 and 18 for a second? How the hell does TFS make the three of them so damn lovable? There's some really genuine affection between them in the abridged series that wasn't really there in the manga or anime. Their last scene in episode 47 was actually sweet, and I literally went "aww" when 16 and 18 both expressed their sadness about 17's fate. I came for the laughs and suddenly I have feels.

(That unavoidable Ebisawa footage though...)

violadude
Beyond Newbie

Post by violadude » Sun May 31, 2015 5:46 am

I love the foreshadowing in this episode of Goku assuming that him and Gohan are the ones that are going to be saving the day and Piccolo calling him out on his bullcrap.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun May 31, 2015 6:45 am

Epic episode! I totally liked Tien kikoho screams. I was laughing hard when we saw what Goku was thinking of Vegeta's speech. :clap: The music with that was a nice touch

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun May 31, 2015 1:22 pm

Goku's "pop" got me good. :lol:

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sun May 31, 2015 1:38 pm

CaBrPi wrote:Goku's "pop" got me good. :lol:
Second. Reminded me a lot of Episode 30 and Kai Episode 2. lol

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:54 pm

"You know what? FUCK POWER LEVELS!! FUCK SUPERSAIYANS!! AND FUCK YOU!!!!!!!"

If that isn't a screed towards how humans have been portrayed in the regular series, I don't know what it. Fuck yeah, Tien is the best character.

Can I talk about the characterization of 16, 17 and 18 for a second? How the hell does TFS make the three of them so damn lovable? There's some really genuine affection between them in the abridged series that wasn't really there in the manga or anime. Their last scene in episode 47 was actually sweet, and I literally went "aww" when 16 and 18 both expressed their sadness about 17's fate. I came for the laughs and suddenly I have feels.
It's crazy how in the last couple of years how TFA has gone from outright parody to straight-up sincerity. This is simply another (arguably better) retelling of the same story, and despite knowing how each of these characters end up, it still feels as if I'm watching DBZ for the first time. It's a testimate to how amazing the writing is for an abridged series.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am

Best episode in a while. I feel this episode went back to more of what it should be (to me): a parody.
It was still a parody before, but it seemed much more of a quasi-official fandub with jokes in there in earlier episodes of season 3 of abridged.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:22 pm

Just watched episode 48 and I find pretty funny oh god, Semi-Perfect Cell is amazing

"so that's how feel to have lips" lol

But I didn't get... Why did you guys try to use original names in this parody? I didn't get used to Super Kikoho instead of Neo Tri Beam, it's sound so better for us that are used to Funnimation dub, using the original names make the parody looks somewhat serious for what it should be a comedy, but that's not a criticsm, just my opinion after all
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Noah wrote:Just watched episode 48 and I find pretty funny oh god, Semi-Perfect Cell is amazing

"so that's how feel to have lips" lol

But I didn't get... Why did you guys try to use original names in this parody? I didn't get used to Super Kikoho instead of Neo Tri Beam, it's sound so better for us that are used to Funnimation dub, using the original names make the parody looks somewhat serious for what it should be a comedy, but that's not a criticsm, just my opinion after all
Because they are trying to be a parody of DBZ, not Funimation's DBZ. There's plenty of influence of Funimation's dub in their parody, of course, but it's not limited to it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:43 pm

rereboy wrote:Because they are trying to be a parody of DBZ, not Funimation's DBZ. There's plenty of influence of Funimation's dub in their parody, of course, but it's not limited to it.
I don't know, they could establish a pattern... I mean they call ROSAT by HTC and they prefer Spirit Bomb instead of Genki Dama and Special Beam Cannon instead of Makankosappo, so I didn't get it why they used Kikoho, but this is a small thing, just arguing about it
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Noah wrote:
rereboy wrote:Because they are trying to be a parody of DBZ, not Funimation's DBZ. There's plenty of influence of Funimation's dub in their parody, of course, but it's not limited to it.
I don't know, they could establish a pattern... I mean they call ROSAT by HTC and they prefer Spirit Bomb instead of Genki Dama and Special Beam Cannon instead of Makankosappo, so I didn't get it why they used Kikoho, but this is a small thing, just arguing about it
That's actually a running joke in the series since Piccolo can't pronounce Makankosappo right. He tried in Episode 2, but failed 3 times and just went "screw it." Since he still calls his attack by the Funi name it's safe to say he still can't pronounce Makankosappo right. King Kai also called his Spirit Bomb technique "Genki Dama" when he told Yamcha and co. he wouldn't teach it to them after Yamcha pronounced Kaio-Ken wrong in a Stinger.

Also funny is that Mr. Popo uses Hyperbolic Time Chamber, especially since he told Goku it was called "The Room of Spirit and Time." My guess is that they use Funi terms for simplicity sake (like Galeck Gun for example), or as part of a joke.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:06 pm

I wonder about one thing, did Cell knew about Super Saiyans? In series, robo bug insect stopped observing Z-Warriors after fight with Vegeta, and only added Freeza and Cold DNA after they arrived. In future, they ignored Trunks, because they had enough data about Saiyans
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:11 pm

coola wrote:I wonder about one thing, did Cell knew about Super Saiyans? In series, robo bug insect stopped observing Z-Warriors after fight with Vegeta, and only added Freeza and Cold DNA after they arrived. In future, they ignored Trunks, because they had enough data about Saiyans
I would say so since he knew about Future Trunks. He did kill the guy and steal his Time Machine after all.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:33 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
Noah wrote:
That's actually a running joke in the series since Piccolo can't pronounce Makankosappo right. He tried in Episode 2, but failed 3 times and just went "screw it." Since he still calls his attack by the Funi name it's safe to say he still can't pronounce Makankosappo right. King Kai also called his Spirit Bomb technique "Genki Dama" when he told Yamcha and co. he wouldn't teach it to them after Yamcha pronounced Kaio-Ken wrong in a Stinger.

Also funny is that Mr. Popo uses Hyperbolic Time Chamber, especially since he told Goku it was called "The Room of Spirit and Time." My guess is that they use Funi terms for simplicity sake (like Galeck Gun for example), or as part of a joke.
In that episode, where Yamcha mispronounced Kaio-ken, Tenshinhan's response to Kaio refusing to teach them it, was "fucking weaboo."
So I thought Tenshinhan would refrain from the original japanese names and go with English equivalents.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:53 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
coola wrote:I wonder about one thing, did Cell knew about Super Saiyans? In series, robo bug insect stopped observing Z-Warriors after fight with Vegeta, and only added Freeza and Cold DNA after they arrived. In future, they ignored Trunks, because they had enough data about Saiyans
I would say so since he knew about Future Trunks. He did kill the guy and steal his Time Machine after all.
I can't believe i forget about that :oops:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:33 pm

dbgtFO wrote:So I thought Tenshinhan would refrain from the original japanese names and go with English equivalents.
And yet he uses the Japanese name for Kikoho instead of Funi's Tri-Beam. Hell he did so before he made that weaboo comment.