Does DBZ have the most over-hyped anime English dub of all time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Does DBZ have the most overhyped anime english dub of all time?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:When you compare it to other anime dubs in the 90s, I'd say the hype is justified. It was one of the best of its time, imo.

Nowadays, I feel the Buu and Cell sagas hold up well. Kai dub is great, minus the horrific soundtrack.
One of the best of its time? Not even close.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:When you compare it to other anime dubs in the 90s, I'd say the hype is justified. It was one of the best of its time, imo.

Nowadays, I feel the Buu and Cell sagas hold up well. Kai dub is great, minus the horrific soundtrack.
Even in the 90's and early 00's it wasn't special, Evangelion and ghost in the shell where dubbed in 96 and set the standard for accuracy in dubs, the Bebop came in 99 and set the standard for good voice acting. The old dub had neither, but your free to like it if you want.
8000 Saiyan wrote:

One of the best of its time? Not even close.
Correction: one the best that debuted on Toonami at that time, along with Yu Yu Hakusho.

It holds no candles on the Cowboy Bebop dub.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 am

I think it's a good possibility.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:23 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The YYH dub is alright, I feel fans should check out the Japanese version of the show. Watching YYH in Japanese made me love the series 100X more.
The thing that did it for me was that the voice of Ocarina of Time Link voiced Hiei.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:18 am

I would say yes. The dub is too often referred to as one of the few anime dubs people would watch in English. The way I see it is that compared to other dubs of its time like Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop the Dragon Ball Z dub doesn't hold up. It's really no different from how 4Kids, Saban and other companies of the late 90s and early 2000s treated their anime dubs. In terms of writing, accuracy and presentation the DBZ dub simply doesn't meet the standards I hold good dubbing to. The Pioneer movies do, but Funimation's in house crew didn't get that good until Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:32 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I never found the English dub to be "overhyped". On the contrary, it gets its fair share of flack, and is nearly universally agreed to be Funimation's weakest dub.
That's the general consensus only here on Kanzenshuu. If you go anywhere else the Funi DBZ dub is immune from hate and its fans are the strong majority while Japanese fans are the minority.
That's not what I've seen. Of course everybody will have their own opinion and different places might have more people leaning toward one way or the other. However I have never really noticed any place with a majority "Funi can do no wrong" kind of view. And I used to post on the Funi forums...

If anything I think its the other way around. The dub gets tons of hate still, despite the fact that its original run ended almost 15 years ago and has since had a newer version of the show released.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 am

Agreed 100%,DBZ is easily the most overrated Dub infact I was literally going to make a thread on this same Topic but I am glad someone else made it. As far as my opinion is concerned, I do think YYH and Cowboy Bebop Dubs are kind of Overrated as well but still their dubs never butchered the Show that badly and overall captured the Correct personalities of the Characters but on the other hand DBZ Dub is literally just a Butchery.

FUNimation Ruined DBZ for an entire generation of fans without them even knowing it. terrible out of place acting,ridiculous and Dumbed down Script changes (often times making characters say something they would never say) and unheard of, extremely unfitting Music.
For the ones who defend the FUNi Z Dub by saying Big Green and Malaysian Dubs are worse than it, let me tell them that The Big Green and Speedy dubs only encompass the movies, at least the scripts are more or less accurate to the original from what I've seen, even if the English is a mangled mess and haven't destroyed the heart and soul of what Dragon Ball is in the US.

Besides, you don't see Goku going on about how he's the hope of the universe in the Big Green or Speedy dubs and saying lines like "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE!" "Mondo cool" "Your father was an average warrior, BUT A BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!" "Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah!" I'm just going to point out that even the voice actors agree that the Z dub is an abomination and be done with it. In my opinion the FUNimation's Z dub is easily the worst dub ever produced.
dario03 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I never found the English dub to be "overhyped". On the contrary, it gets its fair share of flack, and is nearly universally agreed to be Funimation's weakest dub.
That's the general consensus only here on Kanzenshuu. If you go anywhere else the Funi DBZ dub is immune from hate and its fans are the strong majority while Japanese fans are the minority.
That's not what I've seen. Of course everybody will have their own opinion and different places might have more people leaning toward one way or the other. However I have never really noticed any place with a majority "Funi can do no wrong" kind of view. And I used to post on the Funi forums...

If anything I think its the other way around. The dub gets tons of hate still, despite the fact that its original run ended almost 15 years ago and has since had a newer version of the show released.
I disagree, I think the DBZ Dub is only Critisized here on Kanzenshuu otherwise on all other Platforms they Litreally mention DBZ Dub as one of the Best Dubs to be ever produced and having a Crappy Subbed Version. Most people outside kanzenshuu prefer Faulconer over Kikuchi, Sean over Nozawa and DBZ Dub over Sub and they all make the Sub fans of DBZ look like a Minority and they don't care for Quality but Nostalgia even to this day there are many YouTube channels who reccomend DB Dubs over Sub because they can't stand the High Pitched Voices of Japanese version and dated "Circus Music" that plays in it.
Also, there are so many Forums which keep on mentioning that DBZ Dub is great like This one or The one here and in Latest Watchmojo Top 10 Best Anime Dubs Video you can see which Dub was voted as No.1 which says something about Opinion of Majority of fans.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm

I wouldn't go as far to call it the worst dub of all time, I'm sure if you dig hard enough you can find much more butchered anime dubs but DBZ is a special case. DBZ can get away with butchering the product anyway it wants as long as adult goku as a male voice actor and they replace the "lame Jap music". Makes you think how differently that dub would be recieved if a male actor voiced goku in Japan and the Faulconer music was the Japanese OST.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Agreed 100%,DBZ is easily the most overrated Dub infact I was literally going to make a thread on this same Topic but I am glad someone else made it. As far as my opinion is concerned, I do think YYH and Cowboy Bebop Dubs are kind of Overrated as well but still their dubs never butchered the Show that badly and overall captured the Correct personalities of the Characters but on the other hand DBZ Dub is literally just a Butchery.

FUNimation Ruined DBZ for an entire generation of fans without them even knowing it. terrible out of place acting,ridiculous and Dumbed down Script changes (often times making characters say something they would never say) and unheard of, extremely unfitting Music.
For the ones who defend the FUNi Z Dub by saying Big Green and Malaysian Dubs are worse than it, let me tell them that The Big Green and Speedy dubs only encompass the movies, at least the scripts are more or less accurate to the original from what I've seen, even if the English is a mangled mess and haven't destroyed the heart and soul of what Dragon Ball is in the US.

Besides, you don't see Goku going on about how he's the hope of the universe in the Big Green or Speedy dubs and saying lines like "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE!" "Mondo cool" "Your father was an average warrior, BUT A BRILLIANT SCIENTIST!" "Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah!" I'm just going to point out that even the voice actors agree that the Z dub is an abomination and be done with it. In my opinion the FUNimation's Z dub is easily the worst dub ever produced.
dario03 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: That's the general consensus only here on Kanzenshuu. If you go anywhere else the Funi DBZ dub is immune from hate and its fans are the strong majority while Japanese fans are the minority.

I disagree, I think the DBZ Dub is only Critisized here on Kanzenshuu otherwise on all other Platforms they Litreally mention DBZ Dub as one of the Best Dubs to be ever produced and having a Crappy Subbed Version. Most people outside kanzenshuu prefer Faulconer over Kikuchi, Sean over Nozawa and DBZ Dub over Sub and they all make the Sub fans of DBZ look like a Minority and they don't care for Quality but Nostalgia even to this day there are many YouTube channels who reccomend DB Dubs over Sub because they can't stand the High Pitched Voices of Japanese version and dated "Circus Music" that plays in it.
Also, there are so many Forums which keep on mentioning that DBZ Dub is great like This one or The one here and in Latest Watchmojo Top 10 Best Anime Dubs Video you can see which Dub was voted as No.1 which says something about Opinion of Majority of fans.
Pretty much anytime I see somebody say the dub is great there are plenty saying it is not. Plus the OP said " It seems that even among hardcore subbies who say that 99% of all dubs are awful DBZ, YuYuHaksho, and Bebop are the exceptions." which would potentially exclude a lot of the pro dub comments that you are seeing. Somebody that only watched the dub is of course going to prefer the dub.
The first link you posted didn't work for me, skimmed the first page of the second and it seems to be more pro sub than dub, or just go with whatever you like and is more sub vs dub in general.
And was the watchmojo list a voted list, or just their picks? Because it says it is their picks which would not say something about the opinion of the majority of fans since watchmojo isn't the voice for the majority of fans. And even if it is a voted list...who voted? Was it only people that watch both subs and dubs? Was it based on a percentage of sub/dub vote or just a whatever anime got submitted the most?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Strange to think that kids that watch DBZ on CN never watch the series fully in Japanese, but they end up watching the other Shonen series that they enjoy like One Piece, Naruto, Digimon, Bleach and several others in Japanese. Later go on how the dubs for those shows are so terrible and watch it subbed instead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Strange to think that kids that watch DBZ on CN never watch the series fully in Japanese, but they end up watching the other Shonen series that they enjoy like One Piece, Naruto, Digimon, Bleach and several others in Japanese. Later go on how the dubs for those shows are so terrible and watch it subbed instead.
You say that like its a absolute. It isn't, some do that, some don't.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Agreed 100%,DBZ is easily the most overrated Dub infact I was literally going to make a thread on this same Topic but I am glad someone else made it. As far as my opinion is concerned, I do think YYH and Cowboy Bebop Dubs are kind of Overrated as well but still their dubs never butchered the Show that badly and overall captured the Correct personalities of the Characters but on the other hand DBZ Dub is literally just a Butchery.

dario03 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: That's the general consensus only here on Kanzenshuu. If you go anywhere else the Funi DBZ dub is immune from hate and its fans are the strong majority while Japanese fans are the minority.

I haven't heard anyone else actually praise the Z dub as one of the best dubs ever. Even the majority of YouTube comments I've read don't say that. The Z dub isn't held as some masterpiece of dubbing outside of Kanzenshuu. It has a pretty shoddy reputation in general. There are people who look back at it fondly the same way they look back fondly on the 4Kids dub of Pokemon, but I've never seen it get brought up in any serious discussions about the best English dubs of all time. WatchMojo isn't indicative of popular consensus.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm beginning to think it's not that people believe DBZ had a great dub, but more so they believe Japanese DBZ is terrible because of Goku's voice and the music sounds old.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

EZsensei

Post by EZsensei » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:34 pm

As one who has only seen the dub for manyy years and only learned of its problems relatively lately (a year ago). Now I prefer the Japenese and I feel I do greatly understand the problems with the changes and butchering of the series in the dub. (Americanizing, etc...). I've actually watched a few arcs of the original dragon ball in Japenese and other parts of Z here and there. (Super too)

I can still definitely understand why people prefer the dub. The cheesy and cartoonish voices in the dub have great chemistry at times and the characters feel close. People connect to these voices and its hard to let go of them. I myself still cannot imagine the characters without they're English voices in the manga.
the Americanized writing does have its charm. It's easier to get into the plot by watching a random episode. I think this works because Dragon Ball is light-hearted in it's core and isn't deep for the most part if at all, this cartoonish dub can be appealing. Some people enjoy the nostalgia and some people just view the series differently than others. For example, some people think of DBZ as inspiration to become jacked or whatnot... Goku being a hero and this version created by the dub is easier for people to relate to. It's easier for Americans to connect to something more American, no?

Even if people understand that the dub is unfaithful, they prefer the dub because of its meaning to them (their childhood, their inspiration) and it's hard to try and change the way you viewed the series for so many years. From my personal experience watching a random episode in Japanese especially from Z is quite off-putting. Nozawa as Goku seems so foreign and misplaced at first, the rest of the voices don't seem nearly as memorable (also because Nozawa voices a few of them XD). The Music is silent and "old".

I only appreciated it after watching in Japanese from the start of Dragon Ball and got used to it. keep in mind I'm only 16 now, so maybe i'm just young and dumb XD :crazy: :D

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:50 pm

EZsensei wrote:As one who has only seen the dub for manyy years and only learned of its problems relatively lately (a year ago). Now I prefer the Japenese and I feel I do greatly understand the problems with the changes and butchering of the series in the dub. (Americanizing, etc...). I've actually watched a few arcs of the original dragon ball in Japenese and other parts of Z here and there. (Super too)

I can still definitely understand why people prefer the dub. The cheesy and cartoonish voices in the dub have great chemistry at times and the characters feel close. People connect to these voices and its hard to let go of them. I myself still cannot imagine the characters without they're English voices in the manga.
the Americanized writing does have its charm. It's easier to get into the plot by watching a random episode. I think this works because Dragon Ball is light-hearted in it's core and isn't deep for the most part if at all, this cartoonish dub can be appealing. Some people enjoy the nostalgia and some people just view the series differently than others. For example, some people think of DBZ as inspiration to become jacked or whatnot... Goku being a hero and this version created by the dub is easier for people to relate to. It's easier for Americans to connect to something more American, no?

Even if people understand that the dub is unfaithful, they prefer the dub because of its meaning to them (their childhood, their inspiration) and it's hard to try and change the way you viewed the series for so many years. From my personal experience watching a random episode in Japanese especially from Z is quite off-putting. Nozawa as Goku seems so foreign and misplaced at first, the rest of the voices don't seem nearly as memorable (also because Nozawa voices a few of them XD). The Music is silent and "old".

I only appreciated it after watching in Japanese from the start of Dragon Ball and got used to it. keep in mind I'm only 16 now, so maybe i'm just young and dumb XD :crazy: :D
I'm 22 now and I'm the same as you, I only appreciated Nozawa after watching the second half of dragon ball in JPN. Yes it's a weird voice but that's what I like about it, there's really nothing like it that I've come across in anime.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:52 pm

The Japanese version can be an acquired taste much like Led Zeppelin for me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:43 pm

dario03 wrote:
The worst dub ever produced? I disagree. The dubs from Animax and Odex are way worse.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:37 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:

dario03 wrote:
The worst dub ever produced? I disagree. The dubs from Animax and Odex are way worse.
Atleast those dubs never butchered the Heart and Soul of the Show and turning their main Protagonist into a cliche Superhero bragging about Justice all the time and villains saying "whatever turn you on" or "pop goes the weasel"
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Atleast those dubs never butchered the Heart and Soul of the Show and turning their main Protagonist into a cliche Superhero bragging about Justice all the time and villains saying "whatever turn you on" or "pop goes the weasel"
Sure, but the voice acting in Odex and Animax dubs make the voice actors of the old dub look like Frank Welker.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: The worst dub ever produced? I disagree. The dubs from Animax and Odex are way worse.
Sure, but the voice acting in Odex and Animax dubs make the old Z dub look like Laurence Olivier.
What anime's did they dub, for research purposes?