What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:01 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Well when you think about it, if the Super Saiyan God form had looked God-look and very cool as everybody was hoping it would be, then the form would have been even more underwhelming as it proved to make no difference in terms of the battle. Beerus still won and quite comfortably. Resulting in rendering the Super Saiyan God form as incredibly anticlimactic, as for all it's flash and abnormal aesthetics, it didn't change the outcome or the plot in the grand scheme. It would have been Super Saiyan 3 all over again.
Not really since Godku gave Beerus more of a fight.
SSJ3 Goku also gave Kid Buu a real fight but it didn't make difference.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:It's a power up with red aura.

Obviously it isn't an actual rip-off, but it is reminiscent to the a kaio ken in appearance. Many peopl across the internet have made the comparison. =P
Kaioken:

Super Saiyan God:

I can kinda see the similarities but not enough to say it's a rip off.
That photo comparison reeks of Cherry picking, Goku sometimes has the same hairstyle when he uses Kaio-ken

And to top it off there's also "False super saiyan" and "Super Kaio-ken" which resemble both SSJ God and Kaio-Ken

Thanks to SSJ God we now have FOUR Goku transformations which look exactly the same.

I have nothing against the concept itself, it's just the design was a massive letdown.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Exactly the same? Super Saiyan God looks totally different to all the pictures shown. I just dont see the resemblance. God Goku has a totally different aura colour and hell the red is different on God Goku too.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Exactly the same? Super Saiyan God looks totally different to all the pictures shown. I just dont see the resemblance. God Goku has a totally different aura colour and hell the red is different on God Goku too.
God Goku's hair doesn't even look red. It looks more pinkish red.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:07 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Lack of understanding for Mystic Gohan. How hard is it to NOT colour him gold. I guess since Goku stole that gimmick from him then "RIP Mystic".
Just because you don't understand something that was already mentioned in the original manga, just not shown, does not mean the franchise owners don't understand it.

"Shall we fuse as Super Saiyajin?"

chpt. 502, vol. 41
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: God Goku's hair doesn't even look red. It looks more pinkish red.
Your argument is that being pinkish red instead of red makes it look completely different?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

rereboy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: God Goku's hair doesn't even look red. It looks more pinkish red.
Your argument is that being pinkish red instead of red makes it look completely different?
Looked to me like their arguments are that it doesn't look exactly the same, which is what the complaint being responded to was claiming.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 pm

How is SSGod a ripoff of Kaio-ken? Toriyama created both, so how can you rip yourself off? At worst it's a retread, but you can't steal from yourself.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Bullza wrote:
Battle of Gods. 2nd Worst Dragonball movie.
It was the best movie by far with none of the others coming even remotely close.
Bojack Unbound, Fusion Reborn and Wrath Of Dragon are way better than BoG, for sure.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
It was the best movie by far with none of the others coming even remotely close.
Bojack Unbound, Fusion Reborn and Wrath Of Dragon are way better than BoG, for sure.
Bojack Unbound is basically Cell saga all over (hell they even had a tournament before hand!).The main protagonist of Fusion reborn didn't turn up until the end and only got two lines, the villain lacked any real personality. Wrath of the Dragon is a good one, I will give you that.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Looked to me like their arguments are that it doesn't look exactly the same, which is what the complaint being responded to was claiming.
I think what was the discussion was on it being similar, not exactly the same. Any comment saying that it was exactly the same was surely an hyperbole.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Not even close. Battle of Gods cast, it's villain, it's fight scenes, it's humour, it's animation and it's score all put any of the other movies to shame. Not to mention things like it being about twice as long as most of the other movies and not being completely predictable.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
These three are my favorites in exactly that order.

Honestly, I liked Dead Zone, Tree of Might, World's Strongest, Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, and Super 13 more than BoG too. It's in my bottom 5, beating the Broly movies, and Cooler's 2nd one.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Bullza wrote:
Not even close. Battle of Gods cast, it's villain, it's fight scenes, it's humour, it's animation and it's score all put any of the other movies to shame. Not to mention things like it being about twice as long as most of the other movies and not being completely predictable.
Batte Gods cast? What is the importance of a cast if they are useless? Pretty vague argument, eh?

Fight scenes? Goku getting slammed by Beerus in less than 4 minutes, Beerus knocking out all Z-Fighter with in less than 7 minutes? The only decent fight scene was SSJGod x Beerus, the rest was pretty lame

BoG just was not predictable because TOEI and Toriyama planned to do a sequel and the movie indicates that in the very end of the movie

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:BoG just was not predictable because TOEI and Toriyama planned to do a sequel and the movie indicates that in the very end of the movie
FnF is not a sequel to BOG in any way.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kakarot9001 wrote:BoG just was not predictable because TOEI and Toriyama planned to do a sequel and the movie indicates that in the very end of the movie
FnF is not a sequel to BOG in any way.
Goku's seyuu: "Based on the way “Battle of Gods” ended, I figured they were definitely going to make a sequel sooner or later, but I never thought it would be so soon."

Kanzenshuu: "The story for Revival of “F”, opening nationwide in Japan 18 April 2015 in 2D and IMAX 3D, is being crafted by original manga author Akira Toriyama, who stated he is writing it, “…as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization,” and that while it will, “…of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods,”

:)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Batte Gods cast? What is the importance of a cast if they are useless? Pretty vague argument, eh?

Fight scenes? Goku getting slammed by Beerus in less than 4 minutes, Beerus knocking out all Z-Fighter with in less than 7 minutes? The only decent fight scene was SSJGod x Beerus, the rest was pretty lame.
I really don't get this. So Battle of Gods suffers for doing A) What every other Dragon Ball Z movie does, only less so by acknowledging more characters in memorable ways than any of its predecessors, and B) Not being a prolonged fight movie. Which is a novelty in itself and something anyone who loves Wrath of the Dragon was kind of clamoring for. Yes, it was unpredictable- that was not a gimmick, that was to its credit. That's not to say one cannot find it a bust for those thing, nor do we necessarily need more movies like it, but that hardly dismisses the right of the movie series to revive itself by differentiating itself.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:Goku's seyuu: "Based on the way “Battle of Gods” ended, I figured they were definitely going to make a sequel sooner or later, but I never thought it would be so soon."

Kanzenshuu: "The story for Revival of “F”, opening nationwide in Japan 18 April 2015 in 2D and IMAX 3D, is being crafted by original manga author Akira Toriyama, who stated he is writing it, “…as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization,” and that while it will, “…of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods,”

:)
Oh, crap. I forgot that original news release. :shifty:

Had a bit a brain fart there. How could I forget that?! :)

I guess FnF just doesn't feel like a sequel to me because it's concept is kinda random and doesn't tie into the lore the Battle Of Gods introduced with the 11 other universes. Which I assumed would have been explored in the sequel. But who knows. We don't really know much about the plot of the movie and it's gonna be at least two hours, so God only know what the full extent of the plot is going to be.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Batte Gods cast? What is the importance of a cast if they are useless?

Most of them have been useless throughout most of the series but it's still nice to have them in there and involved in some way. Except for the movies where Goku wasn't in it most of the characters in the other movies were just as useless anyway.
Fight scenes? Goku getting slammed by Beerus in less than 4 minutes, Beerus knocking out all Z-Fighter with in less than 7 minutes?

Why are you putting an emphasis on the time? It's a movie how much time do you expect it to take up? Why does them losing even matter as that again is something that happens in most of the other movies.
The only decent fight scene was SSJGod x Beerus

Which is the one that matters and that fight scene largely thanks to the animation and also the lenght made every other fight scene in a DBZ movie look like complete and utter trash in comparison.
BoG just was not predictable because TOEI and Toriyama planned to do a sequel and the movie indicates that in the very end of the movie

Not necessarily as they didn't know whether the movie would succeed or not after such a long time. The ending that brought the notion of all these other universes with potentially stronger people doesn't even appear to have anything to do with this upcoming film.

Either way it doesn't stop it's unpredictability from being a good thing.

Majin Vegeta Fan

Post by Majin Vegeta Fan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Even Bio-Broly is better than BoG.... Yeah, i went THAT far.