So are we biased?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: So are we biased?

Post by xmysticgohanx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Skin color wise he's tan. Tan is close to Black. His facial features are nowhere close to an Asian's

Close to Black >>>> nowhere close to Asian
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:12 pm

@ SSJ Human: This whole topic is just ridiculous. If you disagree with someone you call them a racist if you do agree with them you say, 'Exactly! Glad you're not a racist like everyone else here!'. Get your attitude in order man. I'm out. There's no point in debating with someone who refuses to acknowledge anyone that isn't parroting their own opinion.

The whole which race is Goku is a bit ridiculous. He's a cartoon character in a world where humanoid pigs are the norm as well as people with purple hair. Personally, I don't see Goku as being black if anyone else does that's fine, whatever. Personally based on his origins I tend to gravitate towards Asian if I had to choose, but honestly even then I don't really care.

@xmysticgohanx: Tan Asians do exist you know? Heck I'm Korean and when I was a kid I used to swim everyday and got really tan because of it. Like GT Goku levels of tan. There are even Asian people who are normally tan like Filipinos.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm

His face is completely different than an Asian's. Like 2000000% different
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:His face is completely different than an Asian's. Like 2000000% different
That's because he's a cartoon character! Honestly, this entire discussion is pointless (and I mean that in no way of disrespect) due to the fact Goku is a cartoon character--there's no way to accurately portray him. Goku was never depicted, in any official media (barring all live action movies), realistic enough for anybody on Earth to look like him.

For God's sake, he looked like this in the beginning of the manga and looked like this by the end!

Unless Planet Vegeta is real, no one is going to look like Goku. No one whose White, Asian, Black, etc.

xmysticgohanx, this post was in no way an attack on you. I apologize in advance if this post offended you.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:59 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:His face is completely different than an Asian's. Like 2000000% different
Define Asian because something tells me you're only talking about east Asia. Not the entire continent.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Define Asian because something tells me you're only talking about east Asia. Not the entire continent.
Oh yeah, I was also going to mention that in my previous post as well. When looking at Asians under racial profiling, it seems as if they ALL have "squint-y" eyes when in reality, some have almost Caucasian-like eyes; perhaps even just Caucasian-like eyes.
I tend not to post here anymore because what I say doesn't add to the conversation.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Instead of Don't trust them new niggas, how about "Don't trust them new Saiyans" by Master Roshi? I'd imagine a black version of DB doing that. :lol:

And yes, I'm black(Haitian descent).
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:19 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Instead of Don't trust them new niggas, how about "Don't trust them new Saiyans" by Master Roshi? I'd imagine a black version of DB doing that. :lol:
If DaBlackGoku.com was still around, maybe something like that might exist. :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a black actor portraying DaBlackGoku. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good old freaking times man, I tells ya.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 pm

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:If DaBlackGoku.com was still around, maybe something like that might exist. :lol:
There was a website called "DaBlackGoku.com"? Please enlighten me. :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:If DaBlackGoku.com was still around, maybe something like that might exist. :lol:
Derek Padula (who is an user on this forum, I just forgot his username) made a pretty good article detailing the phenomena of Da Black Goku.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 pm

ThatGuyNamedChancey wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Derek Padula (who is an user on this forum, I just forgot his username) made a pretty good article detailing the phenomena of Da Black Goku.
Looks like a good read. Thanks for the link!
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:52 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: 1. Please fix your attitude. Trust me as a former banned member. You'll regret it.

2. The alternative universe Superman... Is NOT KAL-EL or Clark Kent. The black Superman is not a DIFFERENT version of Clark Kent. It's a different Superhero who took the name Superman after Earth 2 Superman died. He has his own name and personality. Compared to Son Goku where's there 1 Son Goku. Big difference pal. Big difference. The darker skin Goku is at BEST a very light skin black or South Africa. Not really close to a black skin color or stereotypical African skin. So I wonder how you got black from a Hulk Hogan tan? Goku never been displayed as having a dark skin color except for MAYBEV certain episodes of GT.

3. Looking black. Black people come in multiple shades but let's simple it down to 3. Dark Skin. Brown Skin. Light Skin. Goku don't look like any of these in any of his tanned appearance. Goku can be played by a black actor. But unless they make him a very very light skin black. It'll be obviously a PR stunt that'll people will hate it. Similar to what Marvel did with Miles.

4. You're using racist wrong once again. Racist is racial superior. Saying Goku can't be black is not racist. While we're at it. USSJ was displayed as red in a certain panel. Should SSJ now be red?
1. Then fix your outlook on this whole situation. Admit that you were racist for trying to omit black actors from playing Goku solely for their race and discriminating against them.

2. You just made my point for me. It's a counterpart. Goku doesn't have that so why try to make it unacceptable for him to be played by a black person?

3. Correct. He can, but you have a problem with that and it's why you are racist.

4. Yeah. You think a person of a different race would be a better Goku solely because of their race. That is racist. You think they are superior.
dae428 wrote:@ SSJ Human: This whole topic is just ridiculous. If you disagree with someone you call them a racist if you do agree with them you say, 'Exactly! Glad you're not a racist like everyone else here!'. Get your attitude in order man. I'm out. There's no point in debating with someone who refuses to acknowledge anyone that isn't parroting their own opinion.

The whole which race is Goku is a bit ridiculous. He's a cartoon character in a world where humanoid pigs are the norm as well as people with purple hair. Personally, I don't see Goku as being black if anyone else does that's fine, whatever. Personally based on his origins I tend to gravitate towards Asian if I had to choose, but honestly even then I don't really care.
Not exactly. There were three users on here that I didn't agree with per say, but respected their opinion. I wasn't concerned with the skin tone that Goku as a few of them were, but I didn't see them as being like a few of you since they gave a quota for what would make a black person suitable in their eyes to play the character which included their skin color. Sure it's not what I wanted, but it's still respectable because that allows us a chance at finding a black person that could suit them.

So I have acknowledged those not in agreement with me in a positive light.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:12 am

You want a black Goku?

There you go problem solved.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:41 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:You want a black Goku?

There you go problem solved.
Yeah. Let's go hire him.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:50 am

WHOA NELLY! This thread is just AWFUL now. What happened to not calling people racist SSJ Human?

I do agree that the guy with that red hair could be our black goku. Or at least a more talented experienced black man with that skin tone.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:52 am

1. Then fix your outlook on this whole situation. Admit that you were racist for trying to omit black actors from playing Goku solely for their race and discriminating against them.

2. You just made my point for me. It's a counterpart. Goku doesn't have that so why try to make it unacceptable for him to be played by a black person?

3. Correct. He can, but you have a problem with that and it's why you are racist.

4. Yeah. You think a person of a different race would be a better Goku solely because of their race. That is racist. You think they are superior.
1. :| Dude...chill and calm. How exactly am I racist? Why would I be racist at all let alone towards my own race.

2. Your point was that there's a black superman. When there's not. They're two separate people. Goku has officially been giving a yellow skin description and in almost all media is pale or pink . Rare is he ever Hulk Hogan tanned. If it's okay for to use rare references. Then SSJ can be RED

3 and 4. Not racist. Stop calling people that. Shit getting annoying. Goku is an iconic character. He's someone even someone who NEVER seen Dbz can accurately describe. No one will say that hes tanned. Only Asian (casual fans we're talking about) or white. Why? Because it's well known what Goku's skin color is. Maybe if a minor or semi important character like Red Ribbon Army generals or something but a ICONIC character. No it won't work. It's like if Man of Steel was Clark Kent but black (Not Val-Zod. Who you thought was a counterpart). Maybe Yamcha would work. But not Goku. Goku has an iconic appearance and fans would want to see that . I NEVER said Goku couldt be played by a black character. Well..a light skin black actor. I just PREFER something closer to the source.

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:53 am

@SSJ Human: I haven't been lurking around this thread, so I haven't seen any previous posts past the last two pages. But one thing I see re-occurring in these posts is the fact you repeatedly have called some users and their posts, racist.

Now, being a Black male myself, I can understand why you may call this racism. I don't agree, but at the same time, I don't have all the answers. Therefore, I, myself, cannot give you a definitive definition of the word, 'racism'. At first, I thought the definition I posted awhile ago could be considered the absolute, definite definition for 'racism' (which is, and I quote, "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races"). But after thinking about it, I typically see people refer to racism as form of bigotry--a form of hatred. And after evaluating your posts about these users being racist, I have concluded that it isn't racism. Or at least, not intentional racism.

To give an example of real life racism, I will use a story of someone I know. It's pretty bare-bones but this is all I've heard of the story.
An African American male and his friend of Asian and Caucasian descent walk out of the club. They see two empty cans of beer sitting on the sidewalk. So, they each pick up one can. Suddenly, a cop comes from behind them and asks them what they're doing. The African American male says that they were both throwing out the beer cans, but the cop doesn't care. So, he gives the African American male a ticket and the Caucasian-Asian gets a warning. Then, the cop walks away.

That's racism. Singling out a race because you think they are inferior is racism. Saying that a cartoon character with no race (as you put it) should not be portrayed by someone is Black when said character does not resemble someone who is Black is NOT racism. It is just being blunt, but subjective. Or maybe, it's unintentional racism. I don't know, I don't have all the answers.

TL;DR: The previous posts mentioned are not racist since racism is intentional hatred towards a race that said individual believes are inferior.

Hopefully, this post changed your perspective on the matter.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:56 am

Not that its of any importance, but there actually has been a black Superman.

Meet Val-Zod, president of the US and black Superman
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

ThatGuyNamedChancey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThatGuyNamedChancey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:04 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Not that its of any importance, but there actually has been a black Superman.
Meet Val-Zod, president of the US and black Superman
Well, DC can get away with a Black Superman because that's an AU Superman. If DC did to Superman like what they did to Wally West in the New 52, we would have a problem. :)

If Val-Zod was portrayed in Live Action as anyone other than someone who's Black (or at the very least, dark-skinned), though, the "true racists" would be happy.