Camera Pans!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Camera Pans!

Post by DHM211 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:It does look like it was taken from the TV. But I think its a good try! What episode is this from?
DBZ Kai episode 44.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:18 am

Okay, I just watched the corresponding Z episode, and found out that it, indeed, is not a camera pan. You took two separate images and spliced them together, which is not the purpose of this thread:

These are camera pans (click for full size):

A camera pan is what it sounds like: it's when the camera is panning (or sliding) in any given direction across a shot.

However, despite not being for this thread, what you did is a nifty idea if done right:

(Click for full size)

However, no matter how cool it is, it is not, and never will be a camera pan, no matter how much you desire it to be. It's just not meant to be this way. I'm sorry. Please, just... let it go... It's for the best, and then it will all be over with, and when the thing is finally done, you will truly understand.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

...I think...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:00 am

Well, despite it not being a pan, I think it's pretty cool that the skies line up in both shots, to create one seamless image.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 am

sumpter360 wrote:Well, despite it not being a pan, I think it's pretty cool that the skies line up in both shots, to create one seamless image.
Which one? Mine or DHM211s? Because I can clearly see a difference in DHM211s image. The images they used don't go together either, as Goku and Freeza aren't looking at each other in that image, but off to each others side slightly, and the light sources are inconsistent between Goku and Freeza. However, I'm not denying it was a neat idea, it's just that it wasn't executed quite as well as it could have been.

However, if mine is the one you're referring to, it's because I edited it.

I took the colors of the top and bottom of the sky, used the wand tool to select the sky between Goku and Freeze, followed it up by using the gradient tool to replicate the sky, then I added a small amount of noise and blurred it to imitate 16mm film grain. Finally, I erased the gradient layer by hand where the clouds were, and then saved it as a relatively high quality JPEG, but still slightly low enough quality to slightly compress the new grain, making it slightly compressed like the actual US Dragon Box grain.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:12 am

I'm confused. How do you guys stitch together the frames to make one complete image? I would love to do this, they all look awesome but I dont know how! Its only possible on camera pans with absolutely no movement is that correct?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:19 am

Corpsecreate wrote:I'm confused. How do you guys stitch together the frames to make one complete image? I would love to do this, they all look awesome but I dont know how! Its only possible on camera pans with absolutely no movement is that correct?
Quoted from 2 pages back
Pokewhiz7 wrote:It's when you see an image on screen, and the "camera" is slowly moving to the other side of the image. People here are threading those together to get the full picture. As an example, the red box is the only thing you see on screen at one time.
(This might not be exactly the amount that is seen in the show. I just cropped that to 4:3 and put a box around it. You should get the idea, though.)
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 am

Ah right, so its done that way, seems a little time consuming but well worth it :)

Heres one I tried.

Left = Dbox, Right = Dbox with some of my filters.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:46 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:Well, despite it not being a pan, I think it's pretty cool that the skies line up in both shots, to create one seamless image.
Which one? Mine or DHM211s?

Oh... well you did a great job! It fooled me :lol:
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:Ah right, so its done that way, seems a little time consuming but well worth it :)

Heres one I tried.
It's okay (though I dislike the filtered one. Those are some awfully smudged clouds), but the bottom image needs to be shifted up and to the left a bit. Also, it would be great if you could provide full-sized versions as well. I don't know if Imageshack resizes based on file size like Photoshop does, but if it does, then saving it as a high quality JPEG (quality 10 and up in Photoshop, and quality 90 and up in Irfanview) would suffice for these kinds of images.
sumpter360 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Which one? Mine or DHM211s?

Oh... well you did a great job! It fooled me :lol:
Thanks. 8)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:09 pm

There you go! Much better now! :)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:There you go! Much better now! :)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 pm

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:45 pm

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 am

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 am

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Has anyone done a camera pan of Freeza after he transforms into his second form?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Sorry for necroposting, but I wanna add one as well.

From DBZ Blu-Ray
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Awesome, but do you have the full resolution one? :P

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Don't worry about necroposting in this thread. It's better to have these all in one place than to create 100 threads about it.

Anyway, yours is pretty small (and not well spliced together, unfortunately), so I did the same shot, but with the Season One set footage.
(Click for full size)

Why use that crappy footage you might ask? Well, some vertical pans I think look a bit cramped (as images, not within the context of the show), and I think the added horizontal frame helps give them some breathing room, which I think helps the pans as general images.