Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition *On Going* - Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition *On Going* - Review

Post by rereboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 pm

As some of you may know, I collect Viz`s Vizbigs Dragon Ball (and Z) volumes. And I`m happy with them. However, Edições ASA has started publishing the Dragon Ball Tankoubon in Portuguese and I just couldn`t stop myself from buying the first volume.

Here is my review/dissection on the Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition, Volume 1, by ASA, for those of you who might be interested.

ImageImageImage

1 - History

This is not the first time the Dragon Ball manga is published in Portugal. A few years ago, around 2001 I believe, Planeta Agostini published the entire 42 Tankoubon Volumes in Portugal, based on (and translated from) the spanish version of the manga. However, they went very quickly out of print and nowadays they are very hard to find. Also, their quality wasn`t very good. I didn`t actually own any volumes of that collection, but from what I heard, the translation wasn`t very good and neither was the paper. So, is this new version better? How does it compare to the american version? Lets find out.

2 - Paper/Print

The quality of the paper and print is actually very good.

The paper is a white high quality paper very much like the paper used in the Vizbigs. Perhaps the paper used on the Vizbigs is a bit thicker but its very similar, in my opinion. So, in short, the paper is pretty much similar in terms of quality to the Vizbigs. But its definitely better than the paper used on the american Tankoubons, which is a greyish paper.

How about the print? Ah, this is where we start to see some differences. The quality of the print on the Vizbigs is very good almost all the time, except on the color pages that aren`t presented in color. In those, the quality decreases significantly. In the portuguese Tankoubon the print is also very good and it doesn`t decrease its quality on the non-colored pages. Here are a few examples of what I`m talking about:

portuguese Tankoubon
Vizbig

portuguese Tankoubon
Vizbig

That`s why I feel confident in saying that the print in the Portuguese Tankoubon is actually superior (overall) to the Vizbigs and to the american Tankoubon (I don`t own any american DB Tankoubon and I don`t seem to remember if the quality of print in the non-colored pages also decreases. I`m assuming it does. If someone knows that this is not the case, than please correct me).

3 - Translation

I had heard that these new volumes would be based on the french translation. However, I believe this is incorrect. This portuguese volume clearly states that the translation rights were arranged by Viz.

Therefore, I`m sure the translation is based on Viz`s translation. This becomes even more obvious when we analyze and compare to Viz and read Herms` review on Viz`s translation (http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9759) (awesome read by the way).
A full in-depth comparison would take too long, so here`s what you need to know: the translation is pretty much on the same level as Viz`s translation. Herms once said he would give 7 stars out of 10 to Viz`s translation, and I would consider the Portuguese translation equivalent/comparable. Which is pretty good.
However, they did screw up two lines in this volume (that Viz didn`t).
The first one (and also the worst one): they used the dialog and a footnote to tell us that Bulma comes from Blommers, but they said that Blommers translated to "macacos do nariz". This is wrong, I believe. "Macacos do nariz" translates to boogers (those things that come out of your nose...). Unless I missed something, I don`t really understand why they made this mistake. Its rather silly, actually.
The second one: when Yamcha sees Bulma in the shower, in Viz he says "a sight beyong imagination". This comment in neither positive or negative, it just implies that its a vision of great impression and importance, but, in the original japanese, its implied to be an amazing sight (positive). However, instead of translating this line literally, the portuguese translator decided to interpret the line, and because of that, he added a negative twist to it. He translated it into something like "the worst vision in the world", which, faced with the original line that he didn`t have access to, its a mistake.
But overall, its pretty good and I believe that its much better than the translation of the last collection.

4 - Censorship

One of the great things of the portuguese Tankoubon... There isn`t any censorship. At least not any visual censorship. As I stated, they translated from Viz so some lines are toned down a bit (which can`t be helped), but as far as the visual censorship goes... There isn`t any.

5 - Content

Well, obviously its size and length are consistent to that of a Tankoubon release. It includes the cover pages to all the 11 chapters at the end of the volume, it includes the spine art of the first Tankoubon (which is not included in the Vizbigs but its included in the american Tankoubon) and it also includes unique images that came with the first Tankoubon.

Some of these unique images, don`t exist on the Kanzenban and they also don`t exist on the Vizbigs. However, I`m not sure if they exist on the american Tankoubon (please let me know is you do).
Sadly, the portuguese Tankoubon does not include the Toriyama comment (and its image) of the first Tankoubon and it also doesn`t include the Toriyama "ask me anything corner" that exist on the american releases. Its possible that the "ask me anything corner" will be included in future volumes, but its doubtful that they would do that with the comment, so chances are that the Toriyama comments will not be included in this release, which is a shame.
The covers of the volume itself are paperback but it looks nice.
Also, the portuguese volume reads from right to left (its not inverted).

6 - The price

Its pricey. The retail price is €9,60 per volume. But Viz`s Tankoubon volumes are sold here for about €8,00, so its not too bad, even if it is pricey. Definitely a disadvantage compared to the Vizbigs, which basically are unbeatable in terms of price.

6- Final thoughts

A very good release overall. The translation could be closer to the original, but since its being translated from Viz, the best they can do is be as good as Viz, which they pretty much did (even if those two mistakes were really unnecessary).
Its also a shame that they didn`t include Toriyama`s comments and perhaps his "corner", but I`m not sure if that`s their fault.
Everything else is awesome. The paper, print, the lack of censorship... If this keeps up it will be a pretty solid release in a country with almost no manga releases.
Compared to the Vizbigs, it has paper of equivalent quality, slightly better print, a few unique images that the Vizbig doesn`t have, no censorship and comparable translation, but its missing Toriyama`s comments, his "corner" and of course the pages printed in color that the Vizbig have. Also its much more expensive than the vizbigs. So, in my opinion, its not better than the Vizbigs but not exactly worse either... Their advantages and disadvantages kind of even the score. However, I consider the portuguese Tankoubon superior to the american Tankoubon (because of the paper, print and lack of censorship) and also superior to the previous portuguese Tankoubon collection.

ASA will be releasing the second volume this month and it will then keep a release schedule of 1 volume per month.
Last edited by rereboy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: Portuguese Dragon Ball Tankoubon Edition, Volume 1 - Review

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Gotta love some good 'ol Portuguese Bulma shower scene.

If the U.S. would release a full uncensored versoin as well, I'd own them.

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for the review, it made me consider buying it. I already own all the Japanese kanzenban, so this seems the perfect opportunity to get what they lack but is included in the tankoubon, not to mention, of course, it's in Portuguese :D

Now, if at least they did the same about the anime...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:13 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:If the U.S. would release a full uncensored versoin as well, I'd own them.
They did for this part of the series. I own them.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Did they do a full run of DB and Z full uncensored? I'm too [idk what it is] to not own a full set.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:21 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Did they do a full run of DB and Z full uncensored? I'm too [idk what it is] to not own a full set.
All the first printings of Dragon Ball Volumes 1-16 are uncensored. Dragon Ball Z Volumes 1 to 12 1st printings are uncensored. It was around Volume 12 where internal changes began to happen in Viz where they got rid of all cussing and started art edits i.e. Goten putting his finger up to Buu.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:22 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Did they do a full run of DB and Z full uncensored? I'm too [idk what it is] to not own a full set.
They never released the entire manga fully uncensored in the USA. Some editions have more censorship and others have less, but there are things that were never released uncensored.

For example:

The nipples in this panel never saw the light of day in any american release, I believe. They were always censored.
However, the Bulma shower scene was released uncensored in some editions (and censored in others).
PuppetDoctor wrote:
All the first printings of Dragon Ball Volumes 1-16 are uncensored. Dragon Ball Z Volumes 1 to 12 1st printings are uncensored. It was around Volume 12 where internal changes began to happen in Viz where they got rid of all cussing and started art edits i.e. Goten putting his finger up to Buu.
I`m under the impression that those nipples never saw the light of day, as I`ve just said. But I can be wrong.

Of one thing I`m certain. The manga was never fully released uncensored in the USA.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm

I just checked my 1st Printing of Dragon Ball Volume 1 and you are correct. That specific scene you posted doesn't show the woman's nipples in the Viz Edition. And here I thought the 1st printings were 100% uncensored. The image is really small anyways but still another reason to hate Viz.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

PuppetDoctor wrote:I just checked my 1st Printing of Dragon Ball Volume 1 and you are correct. That specific scene you posted doesn't show the woman's nipples in the Viz Edition. And here I thought the 1st printings were 100% uncensored. The image is really small anyways but still another reason to hate Viz.
Thanks for looking it up :wink:
Toriyama-sama wrote:Thanks for the review, it made me consider buying it. I already own all the Japanese kanzenban, so this seems the perfect opportunity to get what they lack but is included in the tankoubon, not to mention, of course, it's in Portuguese :D

Now, if at least they did the same about the anime...
You are welcome :mrgreen: . However, remember that this release apparently won`t include Toriyama`s volume comments or their images (which I think aren`t in the Kanzenban).
But there is a easy way to have all the Toriyama comment images. Daizenshuu 1 includes all those images (and Viz has released that Daizenshuu). But the comments themselves are not in that Daizenshuu.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Bah, based on Viz? And here I was hoping it was based on the excellent French translation... This also means we will probably be getting Vegerot and Herсule.

Where is this being sold? I may get this.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Puto wrote:Bah, based on Viz? And here I was hoping it was based on the excellent French translation... This also means we will probably be getting Vegerot and Herсule.

Where is this being sold? I may get this.
I was as surprised as you. They will probably keep those names but they may surprise us. The portuguese translation is not a carbon copy of the Viz translation. So I guess we`ll have to see. But I advice you to get it. From what DNA has already told me they are light years away from the old Planeta Agostini volumes in terms of quality.

I got mine with "Diario de Noticias" today. It was a pre-launch thing to promote it. But it will start to hit bookstores this week, I believe. Fnac is sure to have it very soon.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:16 am

That King Kong image made me laugh. I've never seen it before. :P

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:07 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:That King Kong image made me laugh. I've never seen it before. :P
You can check kanzentai to see the unique images of the Tankoubon. Here is the link to the first Tankoubon: http://www.kanzentai.com/tankoubon.php?id=01 (the unique images are at the bottom of the page).

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:All the first printings of Dragon Ball Volumes 1-16 are uncensored.
And then later, they came out with some "special edition" Vol.1 with a shiny cover and each one was numbered. That was uncensored too.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
PuppetDoctor wrote:All the first printings of Dragon Ball Volumes 1-16 are uncensored.
And then later, they came out with some "special edition" Vol.1 with a shiny cover and each one was numbered. That was uncensored too.
I`ve already stated (and PuppetDoctor has confirmed) that at least one panel of the first Taukonbon was never released uncensored, as far as I know.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Huh? What panel are you talking about?

Edit: Oh... I see. Funny how they edit those nipples out but left in Bulma's.

Vegeta's Wire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta's Wire » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Wonderful news! Thank you for that wonderful piece of information! Does anyone know what portuguese retails are selling it (maybe Fnac?)? It's definitely a buy for me.

Edit: Oh, never mind. This is what you get for not reading every post...
How many Scouters has Vegeta broken already?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Vegeta's Wire wrote:Wonderful news! Thank you for that wonderful piece of information! Does anyone know what portuguese retails are selling it (maybe Fnac?)? It's definitely a buy for me.

Edit: Oh, never mind. This is what you get for not reading every post...
Fnac doesn`t have yet, I believe. I went by there today and I didn`t saw it.

However I did see it on Bertrand. They already have Volume 1. You can buy it online cheaper and go pick it up at the Bertrand store that you choose on http://www.bertrand.pt/catalogo/detalhe ... ?id=275467 .
Or you can just go to one of their stores and pick it up for the retail price.

Btw, Volume 2 will also be released this month so it will also became available soon. After that, its 1 volume per month apparently.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Just bought Volume 1 off Bulhosa. The translation is okay, I think. Definitely much better than the dub anyway. Kinto-un, the Japanese ball names, Shenlong, and the words "Dragon Ball" (referring to the objects) were left as-is. There is also one mention of "Kame-Sen'nin" in there. I think Nyoibô wasn't kept, though.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Puto wrote:Just bought Volume 1 off Bulhosa. The translation is okay, I think. Definitely much better than the dub anyway. Kinto-un, the Japanese ball names, Shenlong, and the words "Dragon Ball" (referring to the objects) were left as-is. There is also one mention of "Kame-Sen'nin" in there. I think Nyoibô wasn't kept, though.
It is. Yamcha refers to it as Nyoibo when Goku attacks him with it. And Kame-Sen'nin is also refereed to as Muten Roshi by Gyuumao.