DBZ Opening: 3 Incomplete Versions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

DBZ Opening: 3 Incomplete Versions

Post by kei17 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Recently, I noticed there are 3 versions of DBZ opening which have never been released on DVD.
They were broadcast only on the original broadcast.

Notice: These images are from the betamax tapes recorded in a remote area. They have very faded colours because of poor reception.

Episode 1-3 Left: Original Run / Right: DBOX

Bigger credits
ImageImage

Colouring error
ImageImage

Kinto'un comes in earlier
ImageImage

No highlight
ImageImage

Disappearance of upper right shadow
ImageImage

Different rolling speed of the back ground
ImageImage

Episode 4-16

Credits become normal

Highlight added

Rolling speed fixed

Other differences do not change in this version. Actually, on the original broadcast, the complete version of the 1st opening that DBOX has in episode 1 to 21 was used during episode 17 to 21, only in 5 episodes. You can check out these differences with a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08tjv9F_7o

Episode 200-201

No cloud in the beginning
ImageImage

There is no more difference in this except the speed of Shenlong's move. I made a video for this, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16uL4Yy9Kh4
Last edited by kei17 on Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Opening: 3 Incomplete Versions

Post by PuppetDoctor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Wow, that was very interesting and thanks for sharing the differences.

No clouds at the beginning of We Gotta Power was the strangest to watch though out of them all.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Weirdness! But this is pretty cool. It's like how they messed up on DBGT's eye-catches.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Things get changed throughout broadcast histories all the time, but it's still really cool to have them documented like this.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm

This happens quite a bit with televised anime, I believe. Credits or scenes will have different or incomplete animation that is usually corrected or changed for reruns or home releases. I remember my 9 year old fansubs of Hellsing TV had incomplete animation for certain episodes, but was completed for the DVD releases.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I remember my 9 year old fansubs of Hellsing TV had incomplete animation for certain episodes, but was completed for the DVD releases.
The broadcast version of Hellsing has some really different shots from what ended up on the home release. We're talking about entire scenes being redrawn.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Sigh. It's a shame that the DBox didn't preserve these differences and present them the way they originally aired. Thanks for pointing this out, kei17!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:00 pm

I knew of the incomplete openings for Episodes 1-3, but never knew of "We Gotta Power" not having the clouds in the beginning. Nice find kei!
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Wow, that was nice to know

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Woooow, great topic, thanks!! :D

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:02 am

I forgot to mention this. There is one country received and broadcast these incomplete openings.
It's Hongkong. TVB Pearl broadcast the Japanese version of DBZ with English and Chinese subtitles, and it had them.

ImageImage

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Oh wow. Chinese and English subtitles. Could you please show us a bit more of these? I'm curious about the quality of the translation. Also, it's a bit weird having the subtitles cover almost half of the screen.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Hey Kei! the video keeps telling me it's private buddy. any help? I think you gave me a copy of the clouds in the beginning intro anyways.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

I second this... very interested in this!

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 pm

Very interesting, it's nice to share that, Kei.Why the hell Toei/Pony Canyon didn't include those openings in the Dragon Boxes ? :(
EDIT : Can you unlock the second opening, please ? :shock: :FANBOY MODE ACTIVATED:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Very interesting, it's nice to share that, Kei.Why the hell Toei/Pony Canyon didn't include those openings in the Dragon Boxes ? :(
My guess is that they consider them as incomplete versions and thought that they're not worth including.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:15 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Very interesting, it's nice to share that, Kei.Why the hell Toei/Pony Canyon didn't include those openings in the Dragon Boxes ? :(
There's a few possible reasons they didn't include them in the DBOX.

1. They couldn't find these openings at the time and were too lazy and didn't want to bother tracking them down. (Toei is known for being lazy so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what happened in this case)

2. The openings are in such bad shape that Toei/Pony Canyon weren't able to restore them to the DBOX standard of quality (highly unlikely but possible).

3. Toei/Pony Canyon didn't realize there were slight differences in the opening for the early episodes (don't forget over 10 years had passed since DBZ aired when the DBOX's were produced so it's possible they thought there was only one version of the DBZ 1st opening animation and only used the fixed version as a result).

4. Toei threw them out after the fixed versions were finished (this one is the most likely since Toei is notorious for throwing stuff out without making backups first).
kei17 wrote:My guess is that they consider them as incomplete versions and thought that they're not worth including.
That wouldn't make sense very much considering the DBOX's were advertised as being complete with original opening and ending animations, it was probably just something that slipped under the radar for the possible reasons I listed above.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

lolman196

Post by lolman196 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 pm

I have a couple Pearl tapes as well, and I noticed something strange on one of them.

Sadly this tape only has one opening on it, with the rest of them cut out, but the one that is there is creditless.

I'm not sure if this was even done for the broadcast version ever, and I'm wondering how/why TVB Pearl used a creditless opening. In later episodes, the opening is normal.

Not that big of a deal, but interesting nonetheless. I've taken the opening from this tape and uploaded it to YouTube:

http://youtu.be/HKXtaGaoJn0

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks for sharing the video, lolman196.

By the way, I recently noticed that BS Fuji's rerun has the first opening only on episode 1.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:33 am

kei17 wrote:Thanks for sharing the video, lolman196.

By the way, I recently noticed that BS Fuji's rerun has the first opening only on episode 1.

That's good because now those who recorded the BS Fuji re-run of DBZ episode 1 will have access to a higher quality version of DBZ's "real" first opening sequence which is at least to me a piece of DBZ's history (I wish I could get my hands on this higher quality opening).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).