Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Just how accurate are the Dragon Box colors?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Man, those colors look so much better. I guess the thought is that the Dragon Boxes were for purists, but...Toei could have at least done some minor color correction.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm not sure if decent color correction technology was readily available back when the Dragon Boxes were made.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I prefer watching the age.. But seeing a guide to change that would be pretty cool.
You do know you could easily change the color on the TV with your remote right?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Puto wrote:I'm not sure if decent color correction technology was readily available back when the Dragon Boxes were made.
Yeah, I guess it might not have been. If it was though, I would have rather seen it like those screenshots. Regardless, I have a custom setting on my TV, so it doesn't bother me too much.

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm

So... about TV color adjustments, is there any way to make the skies look more "correct"? I would think boosting the blue would mess up the rest of the picture. I've adjusted monitors with RGB pots, but don't have much experience with actual TVs.

And honestly, unless Toei goes back and does proper color corrections themselves, I think this might be the best the show is going to look in terms of a complete home release of the entire series. Maybe Funi's Blu-rays will prove me wrong, but... I'll just say I'll be surprised if they actually turn out much better.

It's funny how everybody seemed to be so into the DragonBoxes and their colors back in they day and now we whine about the colors :roll:.
Last edited by jnj13 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

AgitoZ wrote:You do know you could easily change the color on the TV with your remote right?
Not all of them have that option, mine doesn't.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:34 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Original Film
Is that a big honking piece of Scotch Tape on the top of the screen there? Yeowza. Just how badly damaged are the original film reels?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:28 am

I said this in another thread already, but basically the Dragon Boxes are near perfect. The best the series can be found in nowadays. A very slight tweaking of the colors fixes the age damage to the film too.

VLC media player has a nifty function where you can change the colors and it plays that way.

The following was done without Photoshop. ALL that I did was use the built-in color shifting function in VLC media player. I turned down the red level and then turned the brightness down 10% (To compensate for the NTSC/U vs. NTSC/J brightness difference)

To me, this is the best Dragon Ball Z will ever look without Toei giving the ENTIRE series the same video treatment as Kai. Which would never happen. Too much money.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:22 am

If you have an HDTV, then you should be able to. On mine, there are tons of video options that basically let me make it look like Kai color-wise. Just play around with it and make it your "user" or "custom" setting if your TV allows for that.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:40 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Hell, check these side-by-side comparisons done by Metalwario after tinkering with the colors
Heh, I didn't even really do anything other than removing the red color casts from them, which there is a tool for in Photoshop. I also manually reduced the reds from black with the RGB editor tool.

Recently, I've discovered how to edit certain colors of the spectrum individually in Photoshop, and I've taken some Dragon Box shots, and tried to match the colors with kei17's VHS rips as close as I could:
Dragon Box:

VHS:

Corrected DBOX:

Dragon Box:

VHS:

Corrected DBOX:

Dragon Box:

VHS:

Corrected DBOX:

As can be seen, the corrected Dragon Box shots look more natural, whereas the original shots look like they were tinted towards red on a TV.

Although I have no VHS rips to compare these to, I have attempted to correct a few more shots just for fun, and the shots I did above gave me a close enough idea as to how the colors should look:
Dragon Box:

Corrected DBOX:

Dragon Box:

Corrected DBOX:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 am

I like those corrected DBOX shots very much, but the sky must be slightly duller than that. According to many official cel & background scans provided by Toei, the blue of the sky in episode 30 roughly looks like this:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:51 am

kei17 wrote:I like those corrected DBOX shots very much, but the sky must be slightly duller than that. According to many official cel & background scans provided by Toei, the blue of the sky in episode 30 roughly looks like this:
Hm. Well, I'm not redoing all of them, since I think the one I used the VHS as a comparison seem close. Though the second to last one looks more saturated than the rest looking back at it, so I went back and toned down the sky and Goku's gi for that one:

Is that about right?

[EDIT]
Also, I decided I would attempt the scene that the cel is from:
Dragon Box:

Color Corrected Dragon Box:

And for fun, here is the image with the cels colors (half size due to artifacts that popped up due to the extensive color editing):

I didn't want to make the colors match 100% because it would take too long, and I don't like tampering with the brightness or contrast. I think mine is somewhat around how it had looked originally when it was first put on film, which already changes the colors.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Not a 100% accurate representation, but these are the results from a crappy Admiral CRT and my Toshiba HDTV.

The picture should look better on the LCD player. No scanlines. I'll have pics for the Toshiba later today. The Admiral CRT's were quick and dirty, but the results are good enough for me. No more pink hue.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:My T.V. Settings: (All of my settings are default, except for two). What can I do to fix the red tint if I ever wanted to try it out?
I just attempted to remove the color cast manually in Photoshop, and what I did was increased the green level a bit, then lowered the blue level some. That got the same results as automatically removing the color cast. Try doing that in the "White Balance" section on your TV's settings.

The problem is that certain episodes have different color casts, so some will have yellow color casts and some have green tinted ones. I think I even saw one episode that had a slightly blueish color cast.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:44 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I'm curious though.. The color temperature set to "cool," heightens the white colors you say?
What it does is adds a bit of a blue tinge to the image, which should make the warmer colored episodes (usually red and yellow tinted episodes) look a bit more natural.