Dragon Box vs Original Broadcast - The Audio

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Box vs Original Broadcast - The Audio

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Awesome stuff, really hope you keep us updated. Would be a really cool thing to see the background progress on a possible release, as it unfolds.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:20 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:After exchanging emails with Christopher Sabat, I've finally gotten to meet him at Clear Creek High School after the panel and he agrees to meet me tomorrow! I'm planning on taking him out to lunch so that we can discuss plans for the original broadcast audio. He seemed very excited when I gave him some samples on a flash drive. If there's enough time, I'm hoping we can go to my house and listen to them with my stereo equipment. My goal is to convince him with enthusiastic eyes :thumbup:

It's very possible we may see a future DBZ release sometime in the near future.
Cool. Hope you also suggest for them to stop ruining the picture quality with crushed blacks and so on.

2015 could be the Year of Dragon Ball Z. :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:21 am

LordCrumb wrote:Awesome stuff, really hope you keep us updated. Would be a really cool thing to see the background progress on a possible release, as it unfolds.
Just received an email from Sabat! :thumbup: He's confirmed meeting me tomorrow and picking up the broadcast audio for Dragon Ball Z. Awesome.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:27 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Awesome stuff, really hope you keep us updated. Would be a really cool thing to see the background progress on a possible release, as it unfolds.
Just received an email from Sabat! :thumbup: He's confirmed meeting me tomorrow and picking up the broadcast audio for Dragon Ball Z. Awesome.
I don't know how your arranging anything, or if you are getting anything in return at all.. but you should try and get on some kind of possible Special Feature.. like commenting on DBZ as a fan?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:46 am

LordCrumb wrote:I don't know how your arranging anything, or if you are getting anything in return at all.. but you should try and get on some kind of possible Special Feature.. like commenting on DBZ as a fan?
Have you ever heard a fan commentary?

It would drive you insane.

Just sit next to a friend or two during the movie and discuss it with them. It'll sort of emulate the experience, but be more fun.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:17 am

MarcFBR wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:I don't know how your arranging anything, or if you are getting anything in return at all.. but you should try and get on some kind of possible Special Feature.. like commenting on DBZ as a fan?
Have you ever heard a fan commentary?

It would drive you insane.

Just sit next to a friend or two during the movie and discuss it with them. It'll sort of emulate the experience, but be more fun.
I didn't mean a commentary, I meant a comment. A featurette of a fan commenting on their love of the franchise, and in AnimeMaakuos case, how long it took them to track down these recordings etc etc

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 pm

The lack of excitement in this thread after AnimeMaakuo said he/she is meeting with Sabat is surprising..

I've always watched Z in English due to the incredibly bad quality of the Japanese audio, so i'm excited as Goku before a fight :D

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:38 pm

LordCrumb wrote:The lack of excitement in this thread after AnimeMaakuo said he/she is meeting with Sabat is surprising..

I've always watched Z in English due to the incredibly bad quality of the Japanese audio, so i'm excited as Goku before a fight :D
Updates from today:

After having prepared everything for Chris Sabat at 9 AM, he responds back apologizing for not being able to make it. Apparently, he had to leave very early this morning as his wife needed help back in Dallas. Chris told me that if they can use the Fuji (or Ishikawa/Tokai) audio, he will specifically make a trip down to acquire them from me. Chris also mentioned that it's very apparent that the audio is a much higher quality than what has been used previously. Chris plans to present what I've given him to some of the mixers at FUNi to see if they have interest in it.

My plan is that when he comes back down here, I'm able to leave an impression about everything. Hopefully by that time, I'll have all of the material from Kei. Chris seemed really eager to hang out earlier and I'm hoping everything pans out accordingly. I've already explained the differences between the sources (except not in the way I had hoped), and I'm confident that he'll pass this information down to the right people.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Very, very exciting if something could potentially come from this. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but it's very cool for you to reach out to Sabat about this, AnimeMaakuo.

How much of the broadcast audio do you actually have, if you don't mind me asking? All 291 episodes? Both TV specials? DB or GT as well? Did you collect it all from reruns?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:11 pm

MagicBox wrote:Very, very exciting if something could potentially come from this. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but it's very cool for you to reach out to Sabat about this, AnimeMaakuo.

How much of the broadcast audio do you actually have, if you don't mind me asking? All 291 episodes? Both TV specials? DB or GT as well? Did you collect it all from reruns?
Right now, Kei and I are trying to get the audio into the right hands. That's all I'm going to say. If, in fact, FUNi can use this audio, Chris will specifically make a trip down to acquire them from me.
My YouTube

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:17 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
MagicBox wrote:Very, very exciting if something could potentially come from this. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but it's very cool for you to reach out to Sabat about this, AnimeMaakuo.

Right now, Kei and I are trying to get the audio into the right hands. That's all I'm going to say. If, in fact, FUNi can use this audio, Chris will specifically make a trip down to acquire them from me.
Wow, i think this is testament to how much of a Dragon Ball fan Chris is himself. Good on him. It's always good to know the people in charge are actually genuinely interested about the show themselves.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:

Toei gave the OK?! (dont have to share if your not allowed too) This would be so awesome though it's kind of sad considering they gave Kei the cold shoulder :(
I hope this means we can have Next Episode preveiws and Japanese title cards :D That would be instant buy!
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:

Toei gave the OK?! (dont have to share if your not allowed too) This would be so awesome though it's kind of sad considering they gave Kei the cold shoulder :(
I don't think Toei can exactly say "No, don't use it", because it's technically the same audio, just from a different source, and Funimation clearly still has distribution rights to it.

If Toei isn't interested in using it themselves, then to hell with them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:54 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
I don't think Toei can exactly say "No, don't use it", because it's technically the same audio, just from a different source, and Funimation clearly still has distribution rights to it.

If Toei isn't interested in using it themselves, then to hell with them.
True, but it's not from a legal source, so TOEI could get legal on them. But if they don't care that yay!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:15 am

On one hand, I can't help but be skeptical that Toei would actually allow Funimation to put out a product with superior quality to that of the Dragon Boxes. On the other hand, the Level sets were allowed to come into existence, and popular opinion seems to be that those were superior to the Dragon Boxes in terms of video quality, so...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:18 am

Theophrastus wrote:On one hand, I can't help but be skeptical that Toei would actually allow Funimation to put out a product with superior quality to that of the Dragon Boxes. On the other hand, the Level sets were allowed to come into existence, and popular opinion seems to be that those were superior to the Dragon Boxes in terms of video quality, so...
Plus we had a DVD release (w/Japanese) way before Japan so it's possible. But we'll see what comes of this. In case they can't, FUNi's current audio restorations not bad at all. Slap that on some grained filled 4x3 goodness and I'll take it! lol

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:28 am

Theophrastus wrote:On one hand, I can't help but be skeptical that Toei would actually allow Funimation to put out a product with superior quality to that of the Dragon Boxes. On the other hand, the Level sets were allowed to come into existence, and popular opinion seems to be that those were superior to the Dragon Boxes in terms of video quality, so...
By the sounds of it, Toei probably make more money from Funimation releases than they do from their own.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:50 am

LordCrumb wrote:
By the sounds of it, Toei probably make more money from Funimation releases than they do from their own.
Seeing how FUNi keeps constantly re-releasing the series whereas Toei only released the series once as a series of extremely limited edition boxes, followed by one series of six-episode singles which don't seem to be all that readily available anymore (during my stay in Japan I saw the odd single being sold here and there in stores, but the only places I found anything even close to a complete set was in second-hand stores)... yeah, they probably make more money off FUNi. Or international markets in general. I mean, it's only because of said international markets that they ended up making Kai: The Final Chapters, right?

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:

You and Kei :shock: good luck.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:41 am

Toei's okay with FUNimation accepting the Japanese Broadcast Audio from a fan/stranger? :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray