Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by yugidmx5 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Does anyone know how to export color correction preferences from the Virtual Dub to a AVIsynth script?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:13 pm

yugidmx5 wrote:Does anyone know how to export color correction preferences from the Virtual Dub to a AVIsynth script?
I'll try to help you out... or maybe I should make a video or something or type up a guide in this thread. It's pretty easy once if you can remove the color caste within VirtualDub itself (you hit Contrl-S and "Save Processing Settings"... that generates a text file with pieces you'll copy and paste into your AVISynth script).

It's a holiday weekend though, so I'm sure I won't be too quick with a response.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Enigmo wrote:Oh no, I did do PNG. But this isn't the first time that, for some reaso,n imgur has converted them to JPG. (and screenshotcomparison wouldn't let me upload those images either)
Not sure... but in my opinion we should all be using http://www.imgur.com for pics. (For others: It's great. Make an account - it's free... and unlimited storage and it's a high bandwidth site).

I'm guessing maybe you weren't logged into your account when you uploaded the pic then. You can upload random things... but if it's an anonymous upload, I'm thinking they convert to JPEG for their own sake.

Here is the direct link to my previous image on imgur and it is clearly PNG - http://i.imgur.com/nynz7SW.png
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Ajay wrote:I'm vehemently against excessive grain removal, so you're not alone. While Kai looked nice, it was too much.
Maybe it's just me, but I thought Kai's grain removal was as much as I would be comfortable with. I understand grain is down to personal taste, but if you are able to remove grain to the extend Kai did and retain image fidelity and detail, then I personally have no problem with it. It was also nice that it varied depending on the scene, with quick action scenes retaining their grain to preserve detail instead of destroying the image.

Enigmo
Banned

Post by Enigmo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:07 pm

man, what's with all the trouble with remastering DBZ.

mobile suit gundam--made like a decade before dbz--had a perfect remaster:
sure, those might have been from 35mm films but i don't think Toei achieved maximum quality for DBZ in Kai 1.0. the colours were nice etc, but the blur isn't desirable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxXExmbu6qU

If hat clip is 16mm film, then I know db kai could have been better. not that this video is better than kai, but doing a higher quality film transfer than that, and then some post-processing can give results better than kai i'd say

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 am

ect5150 wrote:
yugidmx5 wrote:Does anyone know how to export color correction preferences from the Virtual Dub to a AVIsynth script?
I'll try to help you out... or maybe I should make a video or something or type up a guide in this thread. It's pretty easy once if you can remove the color caste within VirtualDub itself (you hit Contrl-S and "Save Processing Settings"... that generates a text file with pieces you'll copy and paste into your AVISynth script).

It's a holiday weekend though, so I'm sure I won't be too quick with a response.
If you have time to do it, it would be great! Take your time I'm patient. In the meantime, I played with some of the colors and I applied Smdegrain filter and I can say that the filter is quite good at reducing grain while preserving details. Also, I sharpened a video one tiny bit. I know it's not perfect I can see some of the artifacting in the dark areas but for the first time the result is not that bad I think. Tell me what you guys think! Here's the sample:

https://mega.nz/#!lksnDBaJ!Uwny0gvzGA7k ... kki3HDwJbM

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:09 am

Sorry for double posting but I needed a help with color correcting of the OP/ED. I tried to correct the colors from the creditless version (left picture) to look more like colors from the raw version (right picture though that one also needs color correcting but much less than the left one) but I always end with either artifacts or weird color tint. Here's some screenshots from the ED (untouched ones):
Any help is appreciated!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 am

I honestly think the one on the right needs more color correction than the other one. The only significant problem with the left one is the colors are a little faded.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:23 pm

The left looks far better than the right. The whites on the right side are just far too white.

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Yeah the contrast is overkill I agree. But here's the better example of what I want the left picture is Creditless version the right is from toei scans:
Is it possible to make colors from left one more close to ones from the right one?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Yup!

Using After Effects: Selective Color, Color Balance, Levels, Vibrance.

I just played with those until I was reasonably happy.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Ajay wrote:Yup!

Very nice color correction! Is it possible to do it with Virtual Dub filters?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:54 pm

yugidmx5 wrote:
Any help is appreciated!
One thing I always did myself was remove the color caste to a particular luminance level. The guide at the beginning essentially says to use the highest values or something. I find I get more consistent results picking my own luminance levels. For me it's L of 83 (or RGB values of 207, 207, 207)... and I almost always pick a normal scene and use a saiyan's eyes for this. Also, you should balance out the blacks (which is the one of the other eyedroppers in photoshop). The guide focuses on the whites, but the blacks need balancing too... otherwise you see a yellow tinge in Goku's / Vegeta's hair... Again, I use a consistent black level myself (RGB equals all 11's I think). You might want to play around with these values as your milage may vary. This can "crush" the blacks just a tad and some people here fuss about it (if you make an area black that wasn't meant to be that dark... it will get rid of details in other scenes... so use with caution... but the exact same can be said for the whites as well).

I find that some episodes are just too bright across the DBox releases. This brings though bright episodes down to normal in eyes. But play around with it yourself and decide what is best for you. I think I picked the above white levels (207's) from looking at the luminance from FUNI's Level BluRay sets and measuring a few eyes in photoshop and averaging the value out.
ect5150

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Ajay wrote:Yup!

The pictures look like they have some grain removal too... or is that a jpeg issue?
ect5150

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:54 am

here a new try with dragon ball gt episode 62 who have strong red tint

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Hey, I was looking for cels and broadcast footage the other day so that I could try to color correct the Dragon Boxes. While searching for footage, I came across this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aFl6ydm7O-w. Does anyone know where this footage came from? It says in the title of the video that it's apparently "rare" but I'm not sure if it's real or not.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Hey, I was looking for cels and broadcast footage the other day so that I could try to color correct the Dragon Boxes. While searching for footage, I came across this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aFl6ydm7O-w. Does anyone know where this footage came from? It says in the title of the video that it's apparently "rare" but I'm not sure if it's real or not.
This thankfully now banned user called Enigmo used to post his terrible remasters here. This is yet another example of his destructive work. He doesn't seem to grasp that trying to pull dark detail out of areas where it does not exist only introduces artifacting. He has a very poor grasp of colour correction. Not really worth discussing.

But yeah, it's not real.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:15 am

Ajay wrote:This thankfully now banned user called Enigmo used to post his terrible remasters here. This is yet another example of his destructive work. He doesn't seem to grasp that trying to pull dark detail out of areas where it does not exist only introduces artifacting. He has a very poor grasp of colour correction. Not really worth discussing.

But yeah, it's not real.
I'm rather interested in how he managed to get that creditless version of the second opening though.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 am

^^ It's from the second DBZ Level set.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:24 am

thejeremymenace wrote:^^ It's from the second DBZ Level set.
Thanks! :thumbup:

Regarding color correction, is Avidemux a good program to use? I've been tinkering around with the color tools on there and I can't tell if I'm satisfied with the results or not. I'll try to post some screens later. One particularly obnoxious thing I have noticed about the program however is that it puts the audio out of sync, even if you mux another track onto it. It's like it adds an extra frame or two, something like that.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.