Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:13 am

Freeza saga is the weakest in the whole series next to Cell. It just becomes so fucking boring after the Ginyu come to Namek. Awful pacing, a stupid parody, a boring battle, and like 10 chapters of charging up. It's bad, not Cell levels, but it's close.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:29 pm

emi_b7 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Haven't been on this for a while. Is saying Jiren is an awful character an unpopular opinion? Because he is.
At this point, he is barely a character, he is just an obstacle. That could change eventually but, yeah, right now that isn't an unpopular opinion at all.
He's a literal wall, hell he even has a big unbreakable barrier. I would be surprised if he's somehow relevant in the future.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Hold my beer.

Ok.

I love Goku's 'Big Green' dub voice. It does not fit his character at all, but gosh darn it, I love listening to the sound of it. Heck, I enjoy the sound of it more than Schemmel's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbLRPSE-iU

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:23 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Ultimate Gohan at the beginning never worked for me. The theme of Dragon Ball is training and Gohan just sitting there and Old Kai just dances around him really undermines it
Gohan big moments in Z never worked for me. SS2 transformation and fight? Ultimate Fight? Some of the worst moments in Z where Gohan loses all his good aspects for the sake of being 'cool' and 'badass'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Kanassa wrote:Gohan big moments in Z never worked for me. SS2 transformation and fight? Ultimate Fight? Some of the worst moments in Z where Gohan loses all his good aspects for the sake of being 'cool' and 'badass'
And how would you improve that?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Freeza saga is the weakest in the whole series next to Cell. It just becomes so fucking boring after the Ginyu come to Namek. Awful pacing, a stupid parody, a boring battle, and like 10 chapters of charging up. It's bad, not Cell levels, but it's close.
i enjoyed the frieza saga a lot more in dragon ball kai
My English is poor .

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Weejus wrote:I love Goku's 'Big Green' dub voice. It does not fit his character at all, but gosh darn it, I love listening to the sound of it. Heck, I enjoy the sound of it more than Schemmel's.
Big Green Goku's voice was one of the better Big Green voices. I think one of Gasman Goku's best moments was in DBZ Movie 8 involving the "get Gohan to prestigious school" subplot. He actually kind of covered his childish side nicely there.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:59 am

Weejus wrote:Hold my beer.

Ok.

I love Goku's 'Big Green' dub voice. It does not fit his character at all, but gosh darn it, I love listening to the sound of it. Heck, I enjoy the sound of it more than Schemmel's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbLRPSE-iU
I don't think this is unpopular. I think the whole reason Big Green is as well known as it is, is because a lot of the performances were genuinely very charming.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Noah wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Gohan big moments in Z never worked for me. SS2 transformation and fight? Ultimate Fight? Some of the worst moments in Z where Gohan loses all his good aspects for the sake of being 'cool' and 'badass'
Gohan not developing an ego against Cell and Buu would be a great start. People spent a long time talking about how Super ruined Gohan, but the ToP has made Gohan likeable again.

Before Super; Gohan was remembered for was being the dude that got tricked twice for the same reason - his ego. Now Gohan is winning fights and staying humble. Massive improvement.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:21 pm

That would be okay if it were an intentional arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Weejus wrote:I love Goku's 'Big Green' dub voice. It does not fit his character at all, but gosh darn it, I love listening to the sound of it. Heck, I enjoy the sound of it more than Schemmel's.
Big Green Goku's voice was one of the better Big Green voices. I think one of Gasman Goku's best moments was in DBZ Movie 8 involving the "get Gohan to prestigious school" subplot. He actually kind of covered his childish side nicely there.
David Gasman's performance in movie 8 is actually pretty solid. He is somewhat hamstrung by the deep voice and bad script, but he manages to pull off the childish aspects of Goku very well in that film.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 pm

I actually didn't have a problem with Gohan's green tracksuit. I thought it looked good on him, especially when he went Super Saiyan, and it made him stand out from the others.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:00 pm

TheDipDap1234 wrote:I actually didn't have a problem with Gohan's green tracksuit. I thought it looked good on him, especially when he went Super Saiyan, and it made him stand out from the others.
I actually wish Gohan got to wear something different like the track suit for the TOP rather than wearing the kame gi trying to look like a Goku clone. I always liked his blue red belted gi he wore while training Goten and Videl.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:28 am

I think the most well developed character in the series is Goku.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:40 pm

nickzambuto wrote:I think the most well developed character in the series is Goku.
This is me right now. -> :silent:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:12 pm

AloversGaming wrote:
Noah wrote:
Gohan not developing an ego against Cell and Buu would be a great start. People spent a long time talking about how Super ruined Gohan, but the ToP has made Gohan likeable again.

Before Super; Gohan was remembered for was being the dude that got tricked twice for the same reason - his ego. Now Gohan is winning fights and staying humble. Massive improvement.
Gohan never had an ego issue against Super Boo in the manga.
nickzambuto wrote:I think the most well developed character in the series is Goku.
He's very inconsistently written. I'd say the character with the best developed arc in the series is actually Mr. Satan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:02 am

He's very inconsistently written. I'd say the character with the best developed arc in the series is actually Mr. Satan.
How is he inconsistently written?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:52 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:He's very inconsistently written. I'd say the character with the best developed arc in the series is actually Mr. Satan.
Also real people are not always consistent with their actions so sometimes I don't see the logic in stating that 'x' was OOC because he acted a bit differently than he usually was.
Last edited by Noah on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:02 pm

ABED wrote:
I want to hear as well. Most of the commonly proposed inconsistencies, like his floating moral scale between prioritizing fights and prioritizing protection, I would call complexities.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 pm

I think he might be reffering to Goku showing to care about Vegeta when they fought in the Boo arc instead of finishing the whole thing as a SSJ3, which I disagree.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs