Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:The Spectacular Spider-Man fandom is just as bad as the Batman TAS fandom. They'll hate you for not thinking the show is a flawless masterpiece.
#SpiderManUnlimitedIsBestSpideyShowFuckYouFiteMe

Nah in all honesty Spectacular Spider-Man is fine, I just don't really bother with it cause I'm not a Spider-Man guy and Spidey tropes executed well are still worn out Spidey tropes. There's only so many times Peter can screw up his social life because of the mask before my brain just checks out.

Now, Young Justice can get fucked.
Kanassa wrote:Damn, you must loath Dragon Ball as whole.
Nah, you guys on Kantenshuu and dbzf make it alright. Although, I imagine I would loathe all of it if I frequented YT comments.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:29 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:The Spectacular Spider-Man fandom is just as bad as the Batman TAS fandom. They'll hate you for not thinking the show is a flawless masterpiece.
Everyone knows the est Spiderman Show is Ultimate Spiderman!

Never got a chance to watch Unlimited though, was it good? Did it have a good them song- Actually, did it HAVE a theme song? Any Spiderman show worth a damn needs to have a theme song that consists of 50% repeating 'Spiderman'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Kanassa wrote:I love Spectacular Spider-Man, but I laugh at calling it a Masterpiece. Thankfully, I've never seen the fandom interact with detractors.
Sometimes I hate the show for creating this fandom. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the show, even if there are things I don't like about it. I like it as much as I like TAS.

They're pretty prevalent in NeoGAF. A lot of people there will tell the people who prefer Spider-Man TAS how they're wrong for preferring TAS over Spectacular.

Anyway, if you wanna know my three problems with the Spectacular fandom:

1. They complain about Ultimate Spider-Man replacing Spectacular when the former never replaced the latter in the first place.
2. They think Josh Keaton should reprise Spider-Man. While I have no problem with that, they think he should play Spidey until the day he dies. Kind of like Conroy and Hamill. Sure, it'd be good to hear him as Spider-Man again, but it'd be tiring to hear him in the role over and over again. By having Keaton playing Spidey over and over again, you're not giving other voice actors a chance. They should know that. Personally, I always preferred CDB and Rino Romano in the role.
3. They can be hypocrites. A big fanboy of the show and Greg Weisman called GregXB, once said that he wouldn't judge someone for what they like that he doesn't.

Here's his hypocrisy that he showed on his blog I believe:

Commentor: "I still liked their Deadpool episode."

Greg: "There's the door."

It shows that this guy can't stand different opinions.

God damn it, it feels good to get these gripes with the Spectacular fandom off my chest.
Kanassa wrote:IEveryone knows the est Spiderman Show is Ultimate Spiderman!

Never got a chance to watch Unlimited though, was it good? Did it have a good them song- Actually, did it HAVE a theme song? Any Spiderman show worth a damn needs to have a theme song that consists of 50% repeating 'Spiderman'
No it wasn't good, but it had potential. It had the Ocean voice actors providing the voices.

It had a theme song, but they never uttered Spider-Man, not even one time.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 pm

How did this become about something other than DB?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:12 pm

ABED wrote:How did this become about something other than DB?
I know, right? :D
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 pm

I've expressed that I think the driving episode is overrated. I'll go further - it's not funny, not even a little. There are a few somewhat amusing bits, but nothing I even chuckled at.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm

ABED wrote:I've expressed that I think the driving episode is overrated. I'll go further - it's not funny, not even a little. There are a few somewhat amusing bits, but nothing I even chuckled at.
i only liked it when i was a kid .
My English is poor .

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:15 am

ABED wrote:I've expressed that I think the driving episode is overrated. I'll go further - it's not funny, not even a little. There are a few somewhat amusing bits, but nothing I even chuckled at.
It is the only episode where i think the Dub made it more enjoyable. Only because it pushed the absurdity even further, with crappy synth playing in the background and horrendous voice acting. It all made the episode cross into the its so bad its good territory. Where as with the Japanese original it just felt like a standard filler episode.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 am

I've never been a big fan of the driving episode either (DBZ #125). It seemed that DB was trying to be somewhat trendy around this time, with this episode's attires and the earlier "BadMan" shirt that was slapped on Vegeta. It could've worked better as a fun separate side-story mini special rather than being dropped right into main anime series continuity. Just like the "Fake Namek" mini-arc, Vegeta got some good scenes that helped it. Actually, the opening with Chi-chi's ordeal was pretty good, imo. I guess that it was just the driving content that wasn't my thing.

I think that this was the last time that we see Haiya Dragon.

Scorpio Kardia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Scorpio Kardia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Vegeta isn't a "badass" in my eyes. He is just an insecure little man with a huge inferiority complex towards Goku, because when things go bad everyone looks up to Goku not Vegeta, including his own wife. That's why he feels the need to constantly talk about his pride, being a saiyan, how he's the prince, and blah blah blah...He's like the Donald Trump of Dragon Ball in terms of being insecure. Also he isn't Goku's rival, he likes to tell himself that to the point that a lot of his fans actually believe it. But let's face it he really isn't. He's just player number 2.

He's been that way since the end of the Namek saga and it's sad. I liked him back then.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Scorpio Kardia wrote:Vegeta isn't a "badass" in my eyes. He is just an insecure little man with a huge inferiority complex towards Goku, because when things go bad everyone looks up to Goku not Vegeta, including his own wife. That's why he feels the need to constantly talk about his pride, being a saiyan, how he's the prince, and blah blah blah...He's like the Donald Trump of Dragon Ball in terms of being insecure. Also he isn't Goku's rival, he likes to tell himself that to the point that a lot of his fans actually believe it. But let's face it he really isn't. He's just player number 2.

He's been that way since the end of the Namek saga and it's sad. I liked him back then.
Haha, wow. This is all soooooo true! I love it. It's why I have a hard time respecting Vegeta after the Freeza Arc as well and why part of me wished he could have kept the amazing exit he had in that arc rather than being brought back to life. Because most everything after that felt like the same tired tropes being milked for all they were worth, over and over and over again.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Scorpio Kardia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Scorpio Kardia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Scorpio Kardia wrote:Vegeta isn't a "badass" in my eyes. He is just an insecure little man with a huge inferiority complex towards Goku, because when things go bad everyone looks up to Goku not Vegeta, including his own wife. That's why he feels the need to constantly talk about his pride, being a saiyan, how he's the prince, and blah blah blah...He's like the Donald Trump of Dragon Ball in terms of being insecure. Also he isn't Goku's rival, he likes to tell himself that to the point that a lot of his fans actually believe it. But let's face it he really isn't. He's just player number 2.

Haha, wow. This is all soooooo true! I love it. It's why I have a hard time respecting Vegeta after the Freeza Arc as well and why part of me wished he could have kept the amazing exit he had in that arc rather than being brought back to life. Because most everything after that felt like the same tired tropes being milked for all they were worth, over and over and over again.
Thank you, I'm glad someone shares the same opinion. I've recently bought the colored version of the manga, and while I was reading the start of the Namek saga I found myself asking "Hey whatever happened to this Vegeta?". I suppose part of my opinion comes from Dragon Ball Super, where characters seem to only really be known by one or two traits. Vegeta is jealous of Goku and desperately wants to be better than him even though that will never happen, Goku is a sad moron who can only find excitement in life if he is battling someone powerful, Piccolo is Gohan's stepdad and personal trainer, Krillin is Goku's personal hype man, and so on...

I suppose with Vegeta it didn't really bother before until Super came around, especially because I felt that at the end of the Buu saga he came to terms with his own insecurities. Super just threw all of that out of the window though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Wanting to be better than Goku doesn't inherently mean his development was ruined.
Because most everything after that felt like the same tired tropes being milked for all they were worth, over and over and over again.
What tropes?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:27 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:

Nah in all honesty Spectacular Spider-Man is fine, I just don't really bother with it cause I'm not a Spider-Man guy and Spidey tropes executed well are still worn out Spidey tropes. There's only so many times Peter can screw up his social life because of the mask before my brain just checks out.

Now, Young Justice can get fucked.
Kanassa wrote:Damn, you must loath Dragon Ball as whole.
Nah, you guys on Kantenshuu and dbzf make it alright. Although, I imagine I would loathe all of it if I frequented YT comments.
Not a fan of Young Justice, eh?

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:15 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Not a fan of Young Justice, eh?
Sounds like he's not a fan of Greg Weisman. :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 am

Another unpopular opinion, I liked DBGT- A Hero's Legacy
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:24 am

Wizard Sesame wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Not a fan of Young Justice, eh?
Sounds like he's not a fan of Greg Weisman. :lol:
He did say he thinks Spectacular Spider-Man is a fine show, but I don't know what he thinks of Gargoyles.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't like the sixth ending theme of Super.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm

HEY!!! DONT YOU DARE INSULT VEGETA WITH THAT FILTH's NAME!!!

I agree that he feels insecure. But what is he going to do? A bumbling clown always gets one step ahead of him no matter what he does???

I'm surprised he doesnt have Depression

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 pm

After SSG, SSGSS and now Utlra Instinct, the regular yellow SS forms just look so plain in comparison hack even compared to SSR too, I totally get the out-verse reasoning of why but now Toriyama is writing for DB intended to be seen in the colour we get some pretty great looking stuff and maybe he is doing things he intended to do before who knows, either way I love these modern transformation over the old ones anyday.