Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by King-K9 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
King-K9 wrote:Goku is the best character in anime history.
Why do you think so?
1. Awesome design
2. Solid backstory
3. Significant character development
4. Fun personality
5. Good balance of fighter and hero
6. Influenced the development of Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, and Tien
7. Great friend
8. Simple characterization
9. Determined
10. Brave
11. Optimistic
12. Goes through significant changes throughout his life, while retaining the same goals and personality
13. Is able to adapt to changes easily
14. Cool powers
15. Has his priorities straight at all times
16. Dragon Fist is the coolest attack in the history of fiction

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 pm

There are many characters in Dragon Ball alone that share most of those characteristics, they're very vague.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:There are many characters in Dragon Ball alone that share most of those characteristics, they're very vague.
Maybe, but I feel Goku uses them the best

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 pm

I think it's better when DB games have a few characters ( the most important ones ) & everyone feels different from the other instead of having an overly huge roster with different variations of one character wasting some slots.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:49 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:I think it's better when DB games have a few characters ( the most important ones ) & everyone feels different from the other instead of having an overly huge roster with different variations of one character wasting some slots.
Agreed, I'd rather have a game with around 25 or 30 characters who ay distinctly over a game with 100+ characters who all play almost the exact same.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:21 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:In English the words "mortals" and "humans" clearly have different meanings, and Gog used "humans", Gaffer Tape most likely intentionally misinterpreted it as some sort of joke since that sort of confusion only works in Japanese.
I wasn't intentionally misinterpreting anything. I don't at all agree with the idea of translating "ningen" as "mortal." It just doesn't work. At all. In Dragon Ball's context, "human" is the best translation. And I never heard anyone put up a fuss about it until Zamasu came along. Granted, most people never thought of it before then, but it is a concept that had been discussed on the forums long before that. But there was never any discussion, to my knowledge, that it should be "mortal" instead. Because, as far as I can tell, the only justification for it to be "mortal" was when Zamasu, a god, suddenly started using it to refer to non-gods. Dragon Ball uses the term "human" more broadly than we use it in real life. So, yes, I was purposely feigning ignorance because I was hoping to get around to the point that "human," in my humble opinion, does not mean what he is intending it to mean.

#TeamHuman
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:22 am

Gog wrote:Yeah. Actually I have Frost, I have Cabba, I have Hit, I have the god's, and Tien's not human :P
Huh? Where did you got that?
King-K9 wrote:Goku is the best character in anime history.
Nah, I think it's probably Kenshin Himura is, also Goku's character is the worst of all in Super.
Gaffer Tape wrote: And I never heard anyone put up a fuss about it until Zamasu came along...
You've been following Super? That's neat, can we expect a DBS dissection in the future? :P
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:30 am

Well that's only in Super. In DB through GT he has great characterization.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:31 am

King-K9 wrote:Well that's only in Super. In DB through GT he has great characterization.
He barely has any characterization in either. More often than not, he's a catalyst for the development of others.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
King-K9 wrote:Well that's only in Super. In DB through GT he has great characterization.
He barely has any characterization in either. More often than not, he's a catalyst for the development of others.
Goku has characterization. I think you are confusing that with Character Development. Goku doesn't change very much but he has a very defined personality.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:In English the words "mortals" and "humans" clearly have different meanings, and Gog used "humans", Gaffer Tape most likely intentionally misinterpreted it as some sort of joke since that sort of confusion only works in Japanese.
I wasn't intentionally misinterpreting anything. I don't at all agree with the idea of translating "ningen" as "mortal." It just doesn't work. At all. In Dragon Ball's context, "human" is the best translation. And I never heard anyone put up a fuss about it until Zamasu came along. Granted, most people never thought of it before then, but it is a concept that had been discussed on the forums long before that. But there was never any discussion, to my knowledge, that it should be "mortal" instead. Because, as far as I can tell, the only justification for it to be "mortal" was when Zamasu, a god, suddenly started using it to refer to non-gods. Dragon Ball uses the term "human" more broadly than we use it in real life. So, yes, I was purposely feigning ignorance because I was hoping to get around to the point that "human," in my humble opinion, does not mean what he is intending it to mean.

#TeamHuman
I don't think we ought to define human as anything that isn't a God, and in any case the context of his post clearly showed he was talking about humans in a biological sense, and Hit, Frost etc. certainly wouldn't fit that definition.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:06 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:I don't think we ought to define human as anything that isn't a God, and in any case the context of his post clearly showed he was talking about humans in a biological sense, and Hit, Frost etc. certainly wouldn't fit that definition.
It's not about how "we" define it. It's how Dragon Ball defines it. It's how Dragon Ball has ALWAYS defined it. As far as I can tell, there has never been a usage of ningen in the series where "mortal" would be a better translation than "human." For example, why would Raditz say to Goku, "You are not one of this planet's people who have a finite lifespan"? Is that what he's telling Goku? I don't think so. Likewise, when #17 and #18 patronize Vegeta for being a ningen, are they likewise making fun of him for not having immortality? Should "jinzoningen" be translated as "artificial mortal"?

And the real kicker, the whole scenario that caused people to break out the "mortal" translation in the first place, because we're talking about gods versus non-gods, is the case where it makes the least sense. Zamasu is going on a universe-wide purge because mortals are so inferior to him... even though he is also naturally mortal? Even though him becoming immortal (literally: not mortal) is a major plot point? It's not like Dragon Ball has set a precedent that mortality means something different or broader than we accept it in the real world. Characters seeking immortality has been a plot point ever since Vegeta came on the scene. Gods being able to die has been a fact in Dragon Ball ever since God first came on the scene.

Human makes the most sense, especially since we still have a term that Dragon Ball has always used to specify people from the planet Earth: Earthlings.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:I don't think we ought to define human as anything that isn't a God, and in any case the context of his post clearly showed he was talking about humans in a biological sense, and Hit, Frost etc. certainly wouldn't fit that definition.
It's not about how "we" define it. It's how Dragon Ball defines it. It's how Dragon Ball has ALWAYS defined it. As far as I can tell, there has never been a usage of ningen in the series where "mortal" would be a better translation than "human." For example, why would Raditz say to Goku, "You are not one of this planet's people who have a finite lifespan"? Is that what he's telling Goku? I don't think so. Likewise, when #17 and #18 patronize Vegeta for being a ningen, are they likewise making fun of him for not having immortality? Should "jinzoningen" be translated as "artificial mortal"?

And the real kicker, the whole scenario that caused people to break out the "mortal" translation in the first place, because we're talking about gods versus non-gods, is the case where it makes the least sense. Zamasu is going on a universe-wide purge because mortals are so inferior to him... even though he is also naturally mortal? Even though him becoming immortal (literally: not mortal) is a major plot point? It's not like Dragon Ball has set a precedent that mortality means something different or broader than we accept it in the real world. Characters seeking immortality has been a plot point ever since Vegeta came on the scene. Gods being able to die has been a fact in Dragon Ball ever since God first came on the scene.

Human makes the most sense, especially since we still have a term that Dragon Ball has always used to specify people from the planet Earth: Earthlings.
In this case human effectively has the same meaning as mortal, the distinction is meaningless since both are used to describe someone who is not a God, except human isn't used that way at all in modern English, and it wasn't really used that way in archaic English either, rather it was mortals that could be used to mean humans rather than the other way around.

Also, there are many deities who can be killed yet are not classified as mortals in religion/mythology, mortal doesn't necessarily have to mean one who is not immortal.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:02 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:In this case human effectively has the same meaning as mortal, the distinction is meaningless since both are used to describe someone who is not a God, except human isn't used that way at all in modern English, and it wasn't really used that way in archaic English either, rather it was mortals that could be used to mean humans rather than the other way around.

Also, there are many deities who can be killed yet are not classified as mortals in religion/mythology, mortal doesn't necessarily have to mean one who is not immortal.
Again, please stop bringing the real world into this. This is only about Dragon Ball. In this case, human does not effectively h ave the same meaning as mortal because this is not just about gods versus non-gods. If you look back at my original response to Gog, I listed other character besides gods who are typically not lumped into the human category in Dragon Ball. Even in the post you just quoted, I referred to the group that includes characters like #16, #17, and #18. And they consider themselves to be separate from "ningen." Is that because they're gods? Certainly not. Is it because they can't die? Also certainly not.

Now I'm not even going to pretend that the usage of ningen across the franchise is completely consistent. For example, Pilaf is not considered a human-type earthling but a monster-type earthling. Does that mean that he's exempt from Zamasu's Zero Human Plan? I would guess probably not. But Pilaf not being considered a "ningen"-type earthling also probably doesn't mean he's immortal (unless, since Super has still yet to establish why he's a kid, maybe we're to believe he is immortal and transformed himself into a kid). But looking at all the examples across the franchise, human has always been and continues to be the best way to translate it, quite simply because there's really no context in Dragon Ball in which mortal isn't either completely nonsensical or simply contradictory.

I guess the reason this grinds my gears so much (oh, crap, I'm in the wrong thread!) is that this seems to be a reactionary argument in the first place due only to the fact that the majority of the English-speaking fandom hadn't been introduced to this usage until now. No one in the English-speaking world ever put up much of a fuss about this before Dragon Ball Super came along, despite the fact that #17 and #18 were referring to Vegeta as a "ningen" 25 years ago! But this was also the first time that the entirety of the English-speaking fanbase was watching the series together, subtitled, with the same Dragon Team translation rather than the loosey-goosey dub they were used to. And now, all of a sudden, human is too confusing a term and must be fudged around with as if it's some kind of brand-new concept. Well, it's not. And I chafe at the thought of being expected to suddenly change this convention, not for any real benefit, but simply because, "Well, we've always used the term 'human' to talk about Kuririn and the others, so this is confusing me!" Well, when this very forum brought the subject to my attention several years ago, I was one of those people who used the term "human" to refer to Earthlings. But upon getting the actual facts, I changed the way I did things!

Don't get me wrong. Compared to other terrible mistranslations and mischaracterizations introduced to the English-speaking fandom, translating "ningen" as mortals is small potatoes. It's not like people are advocating translating it as "peanut butter" or "a brilliant scientist" or some other term ningen could never legitimately be translated as. Out of this context, mortal could be the go-to translation for this. But in Dragon Ball, in my opinion, it really does not fit. And that's probably something you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on because I really have nowhere else to go with this.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:In this case human effectively has the same meaning as mortal, the distinction is meaningless since both are used to describe someone who is not a God, except human isn't used that way at all in modern English, and it wasn't really used that way in archaic English either, rather it was mortals that could be used to mean humans rather than the other way around.

Again, please stop bringing the real world into this. This is only about Dragon Ball. In addition, this is not just about gods versus non-gods. If you look back at my original response to Gog, I listed other character besides gods who are typically not lumped into the human category in Dragon Ball. Even in the post you just quoted, I referred to the group that includes characters like #16, #17, and #18. And they consider themselves to be separate from "ningen." Is that because they're gods? Certainly not. Is it because they can't die? Also certainly not.

Now I'm not even going to pretend that the usage of ningen across the franchise is completely consistent. For example, Pilaf is not considered a human-type earthling but a monster-type earthling. Does that mean that he's exempt from Zamasu's Zero Human Plan? I would guess probably not. But Pilaf not being considered a "ningen"-type earthling also probably doesn't mean he's immortal (unless, since Super has still yet to establish why he's a kid, maybe we're to believe he is immortal and transformed himself into a kid). But looking at all the examples across the franchise, human has always been and continues to be the best way to translate it, quite simply because there's really no context in Dragon Ball in which mortal isn't either completely nonsensical or simply contradictory.

I guess the reason this grinds my gears so much (oh, crap, I'm in the wrong thread!) is that this seems to be a reactionary argument in the first place due only to the fact that the majority of the English-speaking fandom hadn't been introduced to this usage until now. No one in the English-speaking world ever put up much of a fuss about this before Dragon Ball Super came along, despite the fact that #17 and #18 were referring to Vegeta as a "ningen" 25 years ago! But this was also the first time that the entirety of the English-speaking fanbase was watching the series together, subtitled, with the same Dragon Team translation rather than the loosey-goosey dub they were used to. And now, all of a sudden, human is too confusing a term and must be fudged around with as if it's some kind of brand-new concept. Well, it's not. And I chafe at the thought of being expected to suddenly change this convention, not for any real benefit, but simply because, "Well, we've always used the term 'human' to talk about Kuririn and the others, so this is confusing me!"
The meaning isn't clear at all then. Does it refer to purely biological organisms? Only to biological organisms that possess sentience? If adding some cybernetic parts to 17 and 18 was enough to cause them to be classified as something other than ningen, would getting a cyborg arm or something save Trunks from Zamasu's wrath? Or at least make Zamasu wrong when he calls Trunks a ningen?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:32 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote: The meaning isn't clear at all then. Does it refer to purely biological organisms? Only to biological organisms that possess sentience? If adding some cybernetic parts to 17 and 18 was enough to cause them to be classified as something other than ningen, would getting a cyborg arm or something save Trunks from Zamasu's wrath? Or at least make Zamasu wrong when he calls Trunks a ningen?
I didn't write the story. I'm not here to fix the story. That's not my place. Nor is it a translation's job to fix those perceived "flaws." As I said, I don't think it's perfect. I do think it's consistent enough within its own universe to make at least 90% sense. And across the board, it seems to refer to naturally humanoid, sentient beings, regardless of planet of origin. Gods are not human. Demons are not human. Humans can become gods (or demons), at which point they cease to be humans.* I certainly can't delve into the minutiae of the exact point at which a human ceases to be a human and becomes an artificial being, because that's not a level of detail the series has cared to go into. However, even so, it does seamlessly tie into the oft-used idea that a person becoming a machine is losing his humanity.

*By the way, this reminds me of something, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to bring it up because I usually do when I engage in this debate. The way Dragon Ball uses the term "god" is also a bitter pill for a lot of English-speaking fans to swallow. Because it's not the way we use the term "god" in the real world, particularly the Western world. And as such, fans who realize that the big green guy in the sky is not actually named "Kami" but that Kami means "god" have likewise, for years, chaffed at the idea of using god in such a way. "It's confusing," they say. "We should replace it with the term 'guardian,'" they say, because that's more in keeping with what we see him do, it's weird to see "god" as a job title instead of a permanent state of being, etc. Obviously, there's also a religious backlash in this case in terms of what we consider appropriate to call "God." But it really boils down to the same kind of argument we see here: Let's just change the "confusing" term we're not used to rather than simply accept that this fantasy world defines things marginally differently than the real world. Because while the green guy may not fit exactly into any real religion's definition, it's pretty clear that he serves a similar function. Likewise, most of the aliens we see in Dragon Ball are humanoid and really only aesthetically different from natives of Earth. They're bipedal, have fingers and toes, mouths and eyes. To use a video game term, they're us but skinned differently. Hell, Earthlings and Saiyans are almost completely identical and have no trouble reproducing together. It's really not that far of a stretch to think of them all as human.

Super Saiyan Ikari

Post by Super Saiyan Ikari » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am

I actually love the Black star dragon ball arc. I find it really strange that so many people HATE it. I can't tell you anything I dislike about it. I love goku as a kid, it's entirely slice of life esque, it absolutely does remind me of the first arc of dragon ball. It is my favorite arc in GT, a series I love which may also be considered an unpopular opinion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:17 am

Because while the green guy may not fit exactly into any real religion's definition, it's pretty clear that he serves a similar function.
Not really. It's not clear what the hell he does. If there was ever world building to be done, it's with Kami. I know it's not his name, but I like it. What purpose do Kamis serve? That's a question that needs answering.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:26 am

ABED wrote:
Because while the green guy may not fit exactly into any real religion's definition, it's pretty clear that he serves a similar function.
Not really. It's not clear what the hell he does. If there was ever world building to be done, it's with Kami. I know it's not his name, but I like it. What purpose do Kamis serve? That's a question that needs answering.
It's beena while since I've watched that portion of Dragonball, but... What does Kami do? He just seems to watch the Earth. He doesn't do anything with what he see's, he just watches. Doesn't report these to anyone, just watches.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am

With the state of the world these days, I think a good portion of religious people "in real life" are wondering WTF their god (God?) actually does and is good for, so I don't see how different that is from Earth's God in Dragon Ball.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::