Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ProtoTrunks76

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:27 am

This might be the most unpopular opinion on this site, from what I find, but I'm just gonna come right out and say it:

In my honest opinion, the musical score for DBZKai 2014 (and by extension, DB Super) is utter shit. Part of the reason as to why that is is probably the reason why the Yamamoto score for the various video games as well as DBZ Kai (plagiarism notwithstanding) is my absolute favourite.

Whereas Yamamoto's tracks are way more varied and ranged (for lack of a better word), Sumitomo's tracks feel minimal and repetitive. It's actually worse with DBZ Kai 2014, where he just falls flat in instances where he tries to compose tracks of another genre, but it instead sounds like kittens cringing in pain having to listen to nails on a chalkboard. What makes Sumitomo's score so bad to me is that there are several instances in Kai that I feel Yamamoto would've made a completely new track for that Sumitomo didn't do for some reason.

What I feel is the perfect example of this is the ever-so-famous Super Saiyan 3 transformation scene. As many grievances I have with the Faulconer score, I do think that there are some legitimately good tracks, and I do like how they composed a track specifically for this transformation (very rarely is it used anywhere else). I feel like Yamamoto would've done the same, and he has with other scenes in DBZ Kai (Gohan's SSj2 transformation and Vegeta's insert theme, for example). But, that wasn't the case with the score of TFC. Now, I may just be taking it as it is instead of considering what could happened behind the scenes; maybe he did compose a unique track for that scene, and they just didn't use it for some reason. But, as it stands, they didn't even bother to even so much as use one; instead, just reuse another generic musical track that was in pretty much any other scene. It just lessens the impact of this scene if I'm just getting the same exact feeling anywhere else. :yawn:

When Dragonball Super rolled around, and word came out that Sumitomo would be composing music for it, I was skeptical, considering the aforementioned issue I have with TFC's score.... and the instant I saw the first 15 or so episodes of it, it was clear that my skepticism wasn't misplaced at all, since more than half of the musical tracks used in Super was just recycled from DBZ Kai 2014. Only (what feels like) three or four extra music tracks were composed for Super, and even those new tracks feel too samey.

In short, here's how I'd rank the Anime OSTs we've had over the years from favourite to least
1) Yamamoto
~ High point: Nice and Varied, made Dragonball feel fresh & new again
~ Low point: Plagiarism

2) Kikuchi
~ High point: Very nicely composed orchestral soundtrack
~ Low point: Somewhat dated by today's standards

3) Faulconer
~ High point: Fit the scenes they were used for, and some decent variety
~ Low point: IT NEVER SHUTS UP!

4) Sumitomo
~ High point: Better-sounding, and high quality
~ Low point: Variety? What's that taste like?
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

the dragon ball z level sets looks much better than both kai and the dboxes
My English is poor .

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:45 am

Don't know exactly how unpopular this is, but I do think the 'Yamcha is the ultimate loser' joke has not only run its course, its been run into the ground. I think we have reached a point where something unexpectedly good needs to happen to him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Michsi wrote:Don't know exactly how unpopular this is, but I do think the 'Yamcha is the ultimate loser' joke has not only run its course, its been run into the ground. I think we have reached a point where something unexpectedly good needs to happen to him.
I think that qualifies. I've seen a number of people with similar sentiments, myself included, but that's not the prevailing opinion on Yamcha.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Michsi wrote:Don't know exactly how unpopular this is, but I do think the 'Yamcha is the ultimate loser' joke has not only run its course, its been run into the ground. I think we have reached a point where something unexpectedly good needs to happen to him.
Absolutely. It wasn't even funny to begin with, but casual fans seem to still eat it up.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:*snip*
What are your thoughts on GTs Japanese score?

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:*snip*
What are your thoughts on GTs Japanese score?
From the bits I've heard of it, there are some pretty good tracks. Again, I will have to listen to the OST to get a more solid opinion on it. I will at some point.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Absolutely. It wasn't even funny to begin with, but casual fans seem to still eat it up.
I admit I must've laughed once or twice, but it left 'funny' long ago and it's well into 'cringey' territory now.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Norio Sumitomo score may have sounded awful in DBZ Kai TFC and DB Super but i think it still sounds better than most of the Bruce Faulconer Music.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 pm

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:This might be the most unpopular opinion on this site, from what I find, but I'm just gonna come right out and say it:

In my honest opinion, the musical score for DBZKai 2014 (and by extension, DB Super) is utter shit.
I couldn't watch Kai because they changed the score. To me is Kikuchi or nothing. I tried with Kai, but I definitely dropped it when they put some bad jazz or smth similar during freeza transformation, awfully off.
Don't really get why you mention Super? Not all tracks are good in Super but some really are.

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Norio Sumitomo score may have sounded awful in DBZ Kai TFC and DB Super but i think it still sounds better than most of the Bruce Faulconer Music.
Considering that you're pretty much anti-FUNimation in general, I can't say that I'm shocked. 8)

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:This might be the most unpopular opinion on this site, from what I find, but I'm just gonna come right out and say it:

In my honest opinion, the musical score for DBZKai 2014 (and by extension, DB Super) is utter shit.
I couldn't watch Kai because they changed the score. To me is Kikuchi or nothing. I tried with Kai, but I definitely dropped it when they put some bad jazz or smth similar during freeza transformation, awfully off.
Don't really get why you mention Super? Not all tracks are good in Super but some really are.
I was talking about the musical score as a whole. A whole slew of tracks in Super were simply recycled from Kai-2014, and even in Super, a lot of the musical tracks feel samey more often than not. Are there good tracks in Super? Yes, of course. But, unlike with Yamamoto, Kikuchi, or even Faulconer (at least in my honest opinion), almost none of them were all that distinguishable from one another. Only exception is when he tries to go to a different genre, but even then, the tracks themselves were pretty hit-or-miss.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 pm

In my honest opinion, the musical score for DBZKai 2014 (and by extension, DB Super) is utter shit. Part of the reason as to why that is is probably the reason why the Yamamoto score for the various video games as well as DBZ Kai (plagiarism notwithstanding) is my absolute favourite.
Are you kidding right? I don't think that's impopular at all, many people feel the same way about Kai 2.0 soundtrack and Super in the very first arcs, but by the Champa arc, Future Trunks arc and owards we got plenty of good music in the show.
Last edited by Noah on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Norio Sumitomo score may have sounded awful in DBZ Kai TFC and DB Super but i think it still sounds better than most of the Bruce Faulconer Music.
I'd rather take generic syth rock over just bad music.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:29 am

Yah, the Kai 2.0 soundtrack is considered by most the worst from all shows (not counting American OST's). I wouldn't really call it unpopular.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 am

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:
Considering that you're pretty much anti-FUNimation in general, I can't say that I'm shocked. 8)
if you think replacing Original Intended OST with a generic Cheap Synthesizer Music means anti-FUNimation then i can't do anything. by the way i like their Dub of Kai, BoG and RoF. also Faulconer Production's Best don't even compare to
Best Scores of Sumitomo.

Soppa Saia People wrote:
I'd rather take generic syth rock over just bad music.
i think that's bad misconception by Faulconer Fans that it's bad music when most of the faulconer score sounds way more unfitting and like some music in Arcade than the Orchestra music which fits Dragon Ball.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:
by the way i like their Dub of Kai, BoG and RoF.
Then, why are more than 75% of your comments passive-aggressively trash-talking the FUNimation dubs of both those movies, the voices, and the increasingly minor localization?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:06 am

ProtoTrunks76 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
ProtoTrunks76 wrote:
by the way i like their Dub of Kai, BoG and RoF.
Then, why are more than 75% of your comments passive-aggressively trash-talking the FUNimation dubs of both those movies, the voices, and the increasingly minor localization?
no, i don't remember trash talking about newer FUNimation Dubs but Only being critical of it and mostly that of Dragon Ball Z Dub because let's be honest, the localization is not "increasingly Minor" in those older dubs.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 pm

I feel Vegeta is done and as a character has outstayed his welcome, only reminding due to fan popularity.

Son Goku is Vegeta's rival. Vegeta is not Son Goku's and hasn't been since the Cell Games. Goku has continued to show he is out of Vegeta's reach.

Hit, Jiren, and possibly Freeza are closer to Goku's equal than Vegeta will probably ever be again. I also wouldn't be surprised if Caulifla and Kale become more of a threat to Goku in 2-3 arcs time.

Vegeta is the Android arc Piccolo of ToP and has been getting the appropriate amount of screen time to match it.

I'm not just talking about power level. Vegeta feels more like Goku-lite now than he does his own person. Where as despite currently being weaker; Hit still is his own character that gives a sense that maybe he can match Goku once more.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:59 pm

AloversGaming wrote:I feel Vegeta is done and as a character has outstayed his welcome, only reminding due to fan popularity.

Son Goku is Vegeta's rival. Vegeta is not Son Goku's and hasn't been since the Cell Games. Goku has continued to show he is out of Vegeta's reach.

Hit, Jiren, and possibly Freeza are closer to Goku's equal than Vegeta will probably ever be again. I also wouldn't be surprised if Caulifla and Kale become more of a threat to Goku in 2-3 arcs time.

Vegeta is the Android arc Piccolo of ToP and has been getting the appropriate amount of screen time to match it.

I'm not just talking about power level. Vegeta feels more like Goku-lite now than he does his own person. Where as despite currently being weaker; Hit still is his own character that gives a sense that maybe he can match Goku once more.
Freeza isn't Goku's rival. He was gone from the story for years and even Vegeta surpassed him long ago. Vegeta could definitely have defeated Golden Freeza. He knew the weakness of Freeza's golden form. Vegeta is a step below Goku but he always is. Nearly every accomplishment Goku has achieved, Vegeta has as well.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.