Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Noah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:06 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I've heard this said before but it might be unpopular: I love all of Nozowa's roles except Bardock and I think that Chiba should have voiced him, so that way he looks like Goku but sounds like Raditz since his personality is closer to Raditz.
Funny that you mentioned, but the brazilian portuguese dub is exactly like that: Raditz VA is the same who dubs Bardock and it feels better for the same reasons you listed, but I have no problems with Nozawa Bardock, I can't picture Chiba doing it :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Noah wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:I've heard this said before but it might be unpopular: I love all of Nozowa's roles except Bardock and I think that Chiba should have voiced him, so that way he looks like Goku but sounds like Raditz since his personality is closer to Raditz.
Funny that you mentioned, but the brazilian portuguese dub is exactly like that: Raditz VA is the same who dubs Bardock and it feels better for the same reasons you listed, but I have no problems with Nozawa Bardock, I can't picture Chiba doing it :think:
Given that Chiba has played serious roles, I can easily see him playing Bardock.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
Given that Chiba has played serious roles, I can easily see him playing Bardock.
Someone dubbed over Bardock with Chiba's Raditz dialogue, here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NWveUczH8U .
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
Someone dubbed over Bardock with Chiba's Raditz dialogue, here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NWveUczH8U .

It actually sounds very fitting and since Nozawa already voices Gokū and his sons, if Bardock was voiced by Chibha it would have made sense that Bardock's aggressive Saiyan genes were passed on to Raditz.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 am

Unpopular DB opinions, you say?

Dragon Ball GT is canon, as is Bojack Unbound.

Wrath of the Dragon was canon until Bulma stated in Super she didn't know how to make a time machine.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Noah wrote:
I've seen that video before. Pretty good stuff.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Unpopular DB opinions, you say?

Wrath of the Dragon was canon until Bulma stated in Super she didn't know how to make a time machine.
DBZ Movie 9 to me is the only DBZ movie that fits now. The only error in DBZ Movie 9 that I can think of is that Goten is nowhere to be seen or mention. I guess Chi Chi had someone like Gyumao (Ox King) to look after him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Watanabe is not a bad Chi Chi, yeah sure she sounds like a raging housewife nowadays because both Chi Chi and the actress are old now. But back in the original run of Z she sounded a lot like Shou, but just a bit older. I honestly could not tell the difference if I didn't look it up. She was still able to sound cute and sweet when the moment required it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzD7M7P_SvE
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Watanabe is not a bad Chi Chi, yeah sure she sounds like a raging housewife nowadays because both Chi Chi and the actress are old now. But back in the original run of Z she sounded a lot like Shou, but just a bit older. I honestly could not tell the difference if I didn't look it up. She was still able to sound cute and sweet when the moment required it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzD7M7P_SvE
Agreed, she was the most closest voice to Sho's Chi Chi and the main thing is her chi chi spoke just like Sho's chi chi with a Hick Tone which other dub voices of her completly forget.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 am

DragonBallKing wrote:Watanabe is not a bad Chi Chi, yeah sure she sounds like a raging housewife nowadays because both Chi Chi and the actress are old now. But back in the original run of Z she sounded a lot like Shou, but just a bit older. I honestly could not tell the difference if I didn't look it up. She was still able to sound cute and sweet when the moment required it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzD7M7P_SvE
Maybe I underestimated her when I said that she lacked something Sho had.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:54 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Maybe I underestimated her when I said that she lacked something Sho had.
Sho had a little more cuter and Childish Tone of speaking compared to Watanabe.

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:26 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Unpopular DB opinions, you say?

I'd say the whole canon/non-canon dispute is kind of unnecessary, it's up to everyone to decide which series do they like or don't like and create their very own, subjective experience by that. If anything, THAT's an unpopular opinion.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 pm

The issue of canon isn't about preference. We can watch whatever we want and believe whatever we want works better for the story, but canon is simply a matter of what the powers that be consider to be in continuity, and the powers that be ain't the fans.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:36 pm

ABED wrote:The issue of canon isn't about preference. We can watch whatever we want and believe whatever we want works better for the story, but canon is simply a matter of what the powers that be consider to be in continuity, and the powers that be ain't the fans.
And why is it so important what's canon and what isn't? It's not like it affects either the popularity or the amount of appearance of a character. Broly is (by today's standard) non-canon, yet he's one of the most recurring characters by far in the series.

And speaking of power levels... they are and always were bullshit.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:25 pm

hunduel wrote:
ABED wrote:The issue of canon isn't about preference. We can watch whatever we want and believe whatever we want works better for the story, but canon is simply a matter of what the powers that be consider to be in continuity, and the powers that be ain't the fans.
And why is it so important what's canon and what isn't? It's not like it affects either the popularity or the amount of appearance of a character. Broly is (by today's standard) non-canon, yet he's one of the most recurring characters by far in the series.

And speaking of power levels... they are and always were bullshit.
People do put more importance on it than I think they should, but it is something I think is interesting - what is canon and not.

Broly's appearances are certainly high profile, but in terms of screen time, he doesn't have as much screen time as say someone like Zarbon.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 pm

I don't know how popular opinion is this but I personally think Nozawa's Teen/Adult Gohan has actually improved specially in Kai and Super.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am

Ripper 30 wrote:I don't know how popular opinion is this but I personally think Nozawa's Teen/Adult Gohan has actually improved specially in Kai and Super.
I don't think her voice changed that much for Kai and Super. It has stayed the same.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 pm

I like jiren design,i appreciate the grey alien vibe & is way better than having an overcomplicated trash or a bootleg cell design
    These screenshot speak for itself [spoiler]ImageImageImage[/spoiler]
    Mostly active on discord.

8000 Saiyan
    I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
    8000 Saiyan wrote:While they aren't perfect, I prefer Big Green Kaio and Roshi's voices to Funimation's.
    Agreed, currently Bang Zoom Dub Kaiō has the best English Voice.
    He does have the best voice for Kaio, but unfortunately, the scripts aren't helping McConnohie's performance.

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:03 pm

The gr wrote:I like jiren design,i appreciate the grey alien vibe & is way better than having an overcomplicated trash or a bootleg cell design
      These screenshot speak for itself [spoiler]ImageImageImage[/spoiler]
      Not much a fan of his design/character, but you got points. Hope to start enjoy Jiren more after the TV Special.
      乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?