Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 am

Bansho64 wrote:I think you're going a bit too far with what you're saying in regards to Gog.
How so? All I did was relay my sentiments as someone who has, if intermittently, been in a pseudo-parental role before. I can usually get where people come from when they say I'm too... enthusiastic, let's say, but unless I accidentally threatened his dog somewhere in my post, I'm at a loss for where I went "too far".
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:17 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: How so? All I did was relay my sentiments as someone who has, if intermittently, been in a pseudo-parental role before. I can usually get where people come from when they say I'm too... enthusiastic, let's say, but unless I accidentally threatened his dog somewhere in my post, I'm at a loss for where I went "too far".
Crap, I probably threw you off with the "in regards to Gog". I mainly meant the part where you were talking about the parental thing disregarding everything else. I was kinda iffy in regards as to what you meant, but I figured it out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:33 am

And even then she's not meant to be likeable in the Saiyan Saga, and at the start of the Namek Saga as well.

Which is why I also like her as well, she has a role to fill in as a character, and she fills it well.
I don't think she fits it well. She's offputting. I understand what the point of the role is, I just don't have any interest in it, which is the opposite of what you want.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:51 pm

When it comes to DBZ parodies, I find TFS to be hit and miss and I never found WeeklyTubeShow and ARDBZ funny.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Gog wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: I addressed everything you said in that one post. Do you want me to give an extended version.
You really didn't it was only during the second post that you apparently replied to my points.
Her husband was killed and her 4-year-old son kidnapped by Satan... leaving her not knowing what her 4 year old son was going through for an entire year (damn) and the next she sees of him, he's on the battlefield with her husband's hardened warrior friends with the TV stations and Baba's crystal ball constantly breaking down. After that was done she find him all of a sudden naked, bloodily-battered, conscious but when the boy recovers in the hospital he wants to join Krillin and Bulma to travel to a distant planet for 2 months (in top of the whole year he was kidnapped) just so he can revive Satan. The boy felt his heart was to his task as the Z-Warriors died protecting Earth so he must be the one to bring back Piccolo and he has the strength to at least make some difference... a fact she concedes with.
And? I'll state it once more, her complete lack of concern for anybody but Gohan is completely disgusting in the Saiyan Saga. She doesn't give a rats ass about all of the fighters who gave up their lives to save the Earth, not even a single panel of sadness, she never gives a single sly fuck about the near dead condition of her husband - A fact of which Yajirobe acknowledges - Chi-Chi couldn't care less about the fact Piccolo saved her son, she couldn't care less about the fact her Son was hell bent on going to Namek, and that he wasn't a weakling anymore. And she never once accepted the idea of Gohan going to Namek being a good idea, what really happened is Chi-Chi after freaking out tells Gohan "I won't allow it. I absolutely forbid it!!" In refrence to him wanting to go to Namek, and following it up with.

"Who cares about Piccolo?!" And "You're a little kid!! You should act like one!!" Followed by Gohan shouting at her to be quiet.

And after that she's in shock, and thinks to herself that her son is now a delinquent. She never once concedes with Gohan going to Namek once. And Gohan overcoming this is portrayed as a good thing as well.
I'd say Chi-Chi definitely wasn't meant to be hated during the Saiyan Saga. I don't even think she was even meant to be taken seriously for the most parts. Either you find it funny or not.

BTW nobody except those with first-hand experience even knew Piccolo was dead. And ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome?
Considering the light she was consistently portrayed in. The fact that Gohan was meant to overcome her, and it was considered to be a great moment for her character. Yajirobe's comment on can I hit her, she's not meant to be set up in a good light for the Saiyan Saga. She's meant to be unreasonable here, and she was a serious element of the arc as well.

And, it should have been obvious considering that they were going to Namek to revive their friends. And really Stockholm Syndrome? Considering the fact that Gohan and Piccolo continued to train with one and another with Gohan himself gaining a respect for Piccolo, and Piccolo himself being corrupted by Gohan's goodness I wouldn't chalk it up to something like that.
I addressed everything already in the post. Most of her scenes were for comedy either you find it funny or not, not to be hated.

Immediately after Chi-Chi freaked over Gohan's rebellion, Gohan explained himself in a way showing surprising maturity for his age which was the good thing and Chi-Chi just gave in there apparently seeing he has a point.

You're looking at things in a narrow perspective here. It's only after the allies came to the battlefield knew Piccolo was dead and everyone except Goku and Gohan saw Piccolo as evil.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:He has an actually relatable motivation and backstory, he's the closest we'll ever get to a "good person turned bad" (I'm aware he was still a Saiyan, so basically a genocidal cunt, hence "closest")

You didn't feel like Zamasu was that way?
he isn't even that bad of a father for Saiyan standards and he completely broke down Vegeta with his schemes in a way only Freeza had ever surpassed.
How so?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Noah wrote:You didn't feel like Zamasu was that way?
Yes, Zamasu too.
How so?
By manipulating Vegeta to come to his planet and witnessing Broly. Broly may have been the trigger but it was Paragus who had Broly under his control all that time and put the plan into motion for the two to meet.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:30 pm

He didn't have Broly under his control, he had Broly muzzled at best. I don't think it was part of Paragus's plan to make Vegeta go almost catatonic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: I addressed everything already in the post. Most of her scenes were for comedy either you find it funny or not, not to be hated.

Immediately after Chi-Chi freaked over Gohan's rebellion, Gohan explained himself in a way showing surprising maturity for his age which was the good thing and Chi-Chi just gave in there apparently seeing he has a point.

You're looking at things in a narrow perspective here. It's only after the allies came to the battlefield knew Piccolo was dead and everyone except Goku and Gohan saw Piccolo as evil.
You really didn't. She's never portrayed as comedic, she's not shown to be a gag outside that one moment where Kuririn told her Goku's dead. Outside of that she's treated as a completely serious character from there on out. Gohan overcoming her is treated as a serious moment, her complete lack of care for everyone, but Gohan is treated as a moment where we're not meant to like her, she's not treated as a likeable character for most of the arc.

And? By the time everyone's in the hospital they should be well aware of Piccolo's death.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:43 pm

You really didn't. She's never portrayed as comedic, she's not shown to be a gag outside that one moment where Kuririn told her Goku's dead. Outside of that she's treated as a completely serious character from there on out. Gohan overcoming her is treated as a serious moment, her complete lack of care for everyone, but Gohan is treated as a moment where we're not meant to like her, she's not treated as a likeable character for most of the arc.

And? By the time everyone's in the hospital they should be well aware of Piccolo's death.
I think she is meant to be a comedic character. There are different types of comedy. In this case, it's how obsessed she is with Gohan's education.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:45 pm

ABED wrote:He didn't have Broly under his control, he had Broly muzzled at best. I don't think it was part of Paragus's plan to make Vegeta go almost catatonic.
His plan was to take revenge on Vegeta for what his father did to him. This works.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:29 pm

ABED wrote:Agreed. Do you think it's a time/resource issue with Dragon Ball, something in particular about the story/setting/universe, or just a matter of poor execution? Are there any self-contained arcs that you feel worked out well?
I think it's a matter of poor execution as opposed to anything inherent in DB. I like a number of the self contained filler episodes, such as the Gohan and the robot episode or the dinosaur episode. They are very similar and in both cases, I find their friendships sweet and heartbreaking when he loses both.[/quote]
Good point, and agreed with both examples. I actually don't mind one-off episodes a ton. I wasn't a fan of Fake Namek, but I did like the space orphans thing that preceded it. Like the Gohan/robot episode, it felt organic and fit well with the setup for the following arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 am

I forgot about the mirrored space ship episodes. Great example.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I've already said it once but i just wanted to confirm it after rewatching the future Trunks arc.

I don't have any problem with the time travel shit, not because i don't care but because i don't find it non sensical.

According to Toei Charts Zamasu stole Goku's body in the main timeline and went to Mirai Trunks's, making him travel to the past and after a lot of things happened.Beerus would end up deleting present Zamasu and thus separating the story in two branches, in one Zamasu survives and becomes Black and in the other not.

I cannot see any time paradox. Black said that he lost to Goku in a fight; and from what i've seen people consider it a paradox because if Goku and Zamasu fought in the first place was because Black using the time ring in ep 49/50.But the thing is that both Goku and Zamasu could have still met and fought under other situation given the fact that both Beerus and Whis knew him .
For me this could have only been a dumb paradox if there was no way for the two to meet under any circumstance. "But the shot from ep 53 is reused?" Well that could easily have been bank animation and knowing super's Schedule state, it would have made sense to reuse a little shot with Zamasu being defeated instead of re animating it and wasting time.

So yeah, Zamasu and Goku fight- Zamasu steals Goku's body and becomes Black to then go to the future - making Future Trunks go to the past with Goku Black following his path -thus triggering his own creation and at the same time his own destruction- and thus splitting the timelines.

The only two things that don't make any sense is the fact that the split should have happened right in the moment Trunks went to the past; and Black's line about the time ring which it's just weird and i really can't get what was he talking about.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Analytical Delusion wrote:Good point, and agreed with both examples. I actually don't mind one-off episodes a ton. I wasn't a fan of Fake Namek, but I did like the space orphans thing that preceded it. Like the Gohan/robot episode, it felt organic and fit well with the setup for the following arc.
I also share this opinion. Many fillers in DB/Z are great for providing build up for the following arc and for character development
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 pm

I like the Para Para Brothers and thought they were hilarious.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ThatFanaticJackatoo

Post by ThatFanaticJackatoo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Even though gohan seems lame from where I am in DBS (ep 51 to be exact), I can understand why he gave up fighting.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm not a big fan of Sonny Strait's Krillin. He's good IMO, certainly better than Klassen, but not great as Mayumi Tanaka.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm not a big fan of Sonny Strait's Krillin. He's good IMO, certainly better than Klassen, but not great as Mayumi Tanaka.
Agreed
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm

General Blue was the superior villain to Tao Pai Pai.