Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote: To be fair, it was like that before F. If Vegeta or Goku actually learned from their past mistakes, the Buu saga could of been easily avoided.
Vegeta did learn by the end and Goku wasn't at fault for Buu.
Goku. Was at fault for Buu, so was Vegeta and Babiddi. Goku could have ended the threat of Buu before it even began.
If Toriyama had created Super Saiyan 3 back then, you'd be right, but he didn't so it's a complete retcon.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 pm

ABED wrote:
Gog wrote:
ABED wrote: Vegeta did learn by the end and Goku wasn't at fault for Buu.
Goku. Was at fault for Buu, so was Vegeta and Babiddi. Goku could have ended the threat of Buu before it even began.
If Toriyama had created Super Saiyan 3 back then, you'd be right, but he didn't so it's a complete retcon.
Unfortunately Retcon's are what stick. Not what comes before them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:47 pm

And when morally evaluating the characters, I'm not obligate to only consider material post-retcon.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:54 pm

ABED wrote:And when morally evaluating the characters, I'm not obligate to only consider material post-retcon.
Wwhy? When evaluating a character we look from an In-universe perspective, and from an in-universe perspective retcons just means it still happened.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:And when morally evaluating the characters, I'm not obligate to only consider material post-retcon.
Wwhy? When evaluating a character we look from an In-universe perspective, and from an in-universe perspective retcons just means it still happened.
Feel free because I can't when it creates a complete inconsistency in both story and character. How can you hold it against a character for acting immorally if it's not in character?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Feel free because I can't when it creates a complete inconsistency in both story and character. How can you hold it against a character for acting immorally if it's not in character?
Because the character still did it. The writer wrote that they did it and that their character would do so.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Because the character still did it. The writer wrote that they did it and that their character would do so.
But it's not consistent with the character he created.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm

ABED wrote:
And yet the character still did it. That fact doesn't change. Goku still did it.

Kanassa wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
And yet the character still did it. That fact doesn't change. Goku still did it.
It absolutely matters because there's no in universe explanation for why Goku did what he did. You can't correctly morally evaluate a character because of bad writing. So no, Goku didn't just do that, he also fought Vegeta when he was on a level playing field, but you are intentionally dismissing that because it doesn't fit your thesis.

If a character was written to be totally honest and above board, but one day cheats on his spouse, would you say the character is immoral or would you say the writer wrote inconsistently?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:19 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote: But it's not consistent with the character he created.
It absolutely matters because there's no in universe explanation for why Goku did what he did. You can't correctly morally evaluate a character because of bad writing. So no, Goku didn't just do that, he also fought Vegeta when he was on a level playing field, but you are intentionally dismissing that because it doesn't fit your thesis.?
Intentionally dismissing? I;m not dissmissing it, I just don't know what that has to do with this.
If a character was written to be totally honest and above board, but one day cheats on his spouse, would you say the character is immoral or would you say the writer wrote inconsistently
The character is immoral because of the writer's inconsistency, because he's the writer.

Kanassa wrote:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Okay ABED Goku's an idiotic, moronic, naive, uneducated, asshole, who is perpetually happy. His super incarnation, is just most true to that. Actually unpopular opinion. Super Goku is not only the best version of him, but he's also a natural progression of him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote: And yet the character still did it. That fact doesn't change. Goku still did it.
It absolutely matters because there's no in universe explanation for why Goku did what he did. You can't correctly morally evaluate a character because of bad writing. So no, Goku didn't just do that, he also fought Vegeta when he was on a level playing field, but you are intentionally dismissing that because it doesn't fit your thesis.?
Intentionally dismissing? I;m not dissmissing it, I just don't know what that has to do with this.
If a character was written to be totally honest and above board, but one day cheats on his spouse, would you say the character is immoral or would you say the writer wrote inconsistently
The character is immoral because of the writer's inconsistency, because he's the writer.
No, the writers is just inconsistent. I find your responses ridiculous. You can't morally evaluate a character that is all over the map because the writer needs to be what he needs him to be at any given moment. You'd be cherry picking. I can just as easily say that Goku fought Vegeta because he was forced into it. He couldn't have stopped Vegeta because they were about even. We would both be correct.

You are absolutely dismissing it and the fact that you don't know what it has to do with this issue isn't my fault. I've used plain English.
Okay ABED Goku's an idiotic, moronic, naive, uneducated, asshole, who is perpetually happy. His super incarnation, is just most true to that. Actually unpopular opinion. Super Goku is not only the best version of him, but he's also a natural progression of him.
And why should we care as long as he's interesting? It's a story, not real life.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Gog wrote:Okay ABED Goku's an idiotic, moronic, naive, uneducated, asshole, who is perpetually happy. His super incarnation, is just most true to that. Actually unpopular opinion. Super Goku is not only the best version of him, but he's also a natural progression of him.
So 5 steps back are progression ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:Okay ABED Goku's an idiotic, moronic, naive, uneducated, asshole, who is perpetually happy. His super incarnation, is just most true to that. Actually unpopular opinion. Super Goku is not only the best version of him, but he's also a natural progression of him.
In a way yes, by that you mean, when you walk 5 steps back, you walk forward. 5 steps 8)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
In a way yes, by that you mean, when you walk 5 steps back, you walk forward. 5 steps 8)
Okay ?
How is Super Goku better then Boo saga Goku or Saiyan saga Goku or Kid Goku ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: So 5 steps back are progression ?
Okay ?
He's a natural progression of the Buu saga, he has fully embraced his stupid, assholishness, Nativity. Too many freebies can do that to a man

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:08 pm

Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
Okay ?
He's a natural progression of the Buu saga, he has fully embraced his stupid, assholishness, Nativity. Too many freebies can do that to a man
How is that good ?

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Okay ?
How is that good ?
Its an interesting development, rarely done. I'm glad to see it

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Gog wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Gog wrote:
How is that good ?
Its an interesting development, rarely done. I'm glad to see it
It's more of a regression.
I doubt that Toei or Toriyama looked back on the Boo saga and were like "Hey, why don't we just completely ruin this character and call it development". You're looking for something that isn't there.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Super!Goku is the worst portrayal of Goku by far, it makes the character less appealing to me, which is sad considering he's the main deal.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?