Are there any celebrities that like Dragon Ball/Z/GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Are there any celebrities that like Dragon Ball/Z/GT?

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:48 pm

That's absolutely what I mean.

Don't give me that "Well, it's the same basic plot and characters" bullshit. So was the 4Kids dub of One Piece. Getting the bare minimum right and still screwing up characterization, motivation, and mood, still makes it a pretty different show.

My reasoning is completely sound. When characters are skewed almost completely differently then intended, they cease being who they are, and thus the show isn't... well, the show.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 pm

penguintruth wrote:That's absolutely what I mean.

Don't give me that "Well, it's the same basic plot and characters" bullshit. So was the 4Kids dub of One Piece. Getting the bare minimum right and still screwing up characterization, motivation, and mood, still makes it a pretty different show.

My reasoning is completely sound. When characters are skewed almost completely differently then intended, they cease being who they are, and thus the show isn't... well, the show.
Are fans of Dragonball Z Kai in english real fans? The dialogue (and music, of course) is more faithful to the japanese version than the original Z version was.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 pm

As brusque as penguintruth may be about it, he's making a worthwhile point. But it's a little more complex than one can express with just "if you like the dub, you don't really like DBZ." I think the point is more that if you claim to love the old FUNimation dub, but then hate or can't at least appreciate the original version alongside it, then you're exclusively a fan of something that's very different, and so you can't truly be called a fan of "Dragon Ball Z" in general.

I'll use another franchise as an example: Star Trek. The two newest movies portray "updated" versions of the original 60's series characters, universe, and so forth. These latest films have drawn in a lot of attention and new fans because of how they were written, produced, marketed, and so forth to present everything in a shiny new 21st-century coat. Now while the new Star Trek films don't have a blatant disrespect for their source material like the old FUNi DBZ dub did (at least they give themselves an in-universe reason to do things differently), it's still a different product from the original 60's show in a lot of big ways. If someone loved the new movies, but just disregarded anything that came before them as "old crap" or "not worth watching" or "omg the musik is so ghey," then it'd be pretty difficult to call them a real fan of Star Trek in general, right? The same goes for DBZ. How can you call yourself a fan of something if you can't at least know and respect its roots and where it comes from?

But that goes both ways, too. To use Star Trek again, there's a lot of closed-minded older fans who like to say "bah, humbug," and fold their arms and insist that the new films "aren't really Star Trek." But they're just as flawed in acting that way as any new fans might be for doing the opposite. Despite their differences, the new films are at the very least an extension of the original. They're a new product which have their role in the greater franchise and mythos, and they fulfill that role as well as can be expected of them.

To say again, that same concept holds true for DBZ. The old FUNimation dub is a different version of DBZ, and an extension of the franchise if nothing else. But it's not "Dragon Ball Z" in and entirely of itself. If that version is the only thing you like or have any regard for, then you're not really a fan of DBZ in any wider sense. You're just a fan of one specific "reversioning" of the show, which in the broader scale of the franchise is next to nothing.

And that doesn't just go for badly-done "reversions" of the show, either. If someone liked the FUNi dub of DBZ Kai, but ONLY that particular dub, and they still trash-talked all the original material for some banal reason or another... then they're still no more of a real or broader Dragon Ball fan than someone who only liked anything else.

As a personal example... I like Power Rangers. But my affinity for it is on a very small scale. I have a nostalgic connection to the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers show because I watched it a lot as a young child in the 90's. I don't mind watching reruns of that show with a grin on my face now and then, and I have the first movie on DVD and an action figure of the original Megazord because... well, because I still find both those things cool.

But that's it. That's the extent of my fandom. I don't pretend to be a fan of further Power Rangers iterations, Super Sentai shows in general, or even just the original "Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger" that Saban or whoever "borrowed" elements from to make the original MMPR. Because I'm not a fan of any of those things. Not because I find any fault with them, or want to pretend that MMPR is or was better than any of them. But just because I don't really care. I never had any real reason to.

And that's how it is for DBZ too. If you're a fan of one specific little part of it, then you're a fan of that one specific little part of it. It doesn't automatically make you a fan of the entire wider franchise. But that's not necessarily a good or bad thing.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Kaboom wrote:As a personal example... I like Power Rangers. But my affinity for it is on a very small scale. I have a nostalgic connection to the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers show because I watched it a lot as a young child in the 90's. I don't mind watching reruns of that show with a grin on my face now and then, and I have the first movie on DVD and an action figure of the original Megazord because... well, because I still find both those things cool.
But that's it. That's the extent of my fandom. I don't pretend to be a fan of further Power Rangers iterations, Super Sentai shows in general, or even just the original "Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger" that Saban or whoever "borrowed" elements from to make the original MMPR. Because I'm not a fan of any of those things. Not because I find any fault with them, or want to pretend that MMPR is or was better than any of them. But just because I don't really care. I never had any real reason to.
[irony]So then you're not a true Power Rangers fan! Everyone who doesn't like "Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger" isn't a true fan!!!!!!![/irony]
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Avenged wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I bet most of the American celebrities that like it are English dub-only fans. :problem:
You're an English dub fan too. So stop pretending to be this "true hardcore" fan because there isn't such a thing.
I think he is a English fan that prefers the Japanese version just like me and most people here. A English dub fan would be someone who is a fan of the English dub of the series. They can like the English dub only or like the Japanese version as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 pm

One thing I neglected to mention in my post is... let's try not to be rude about it, okay?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Kaboom wrote:One thing I neglected to mention in my post is... let's try not to be rude about it, okay?
Couldn't easily have gone to hardcore fan topic? I mean besides saying celabrities watched Eng dub. Is a fan of the series or not debate fitting here? This is for celebrity fans not dub wars

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Rapper MF Doom sampled a DBZ Kukichi track on one of his beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_e8dY1n6w

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Some AKB48 members (pretend to) love the show.

Well they did do a song for the series, so maybe they did like it before or check it out afterwards and loved it. Why are they only pretending?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I think Christina Aguilera is fan. in her music video ''What a girl wants'' we see a picture of Goku and Super Saiyan 4 Goku in the background
I don't believe she's a fan but it's random that it's there :lol:
Christina had small brother back then, quite possible she was watching with him. Maybe she isn't a fan herself but probably knows the show and characters because of little brother

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed May 28, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm pretty sure the What A Girl Wants cameo is simply just some poster that was imported from Japan to fit the hip alternative MTV themed room they had going on.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:05 am

Just throwing a random reference does make you a fan of something. I can throw a reference to MLP or Sex and City in a show or comic, but that does mean I'm a fan. DBZ is popular enough that you can make a reference to it without knowing anything about it.
She/Her

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu May 29, 2014 2:20 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Rapper MF Doom sampled a DBZ Kukichi track on one of his beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_e8dY1n6w
Pretty rad track.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 31, 2014 5:48 am

They're not really celebrities but the Mega64 guys are into DBZ, I know Rocco watches it in Japanese too. They make some funny stuff too, here, here and definitely watch this.

Garrett's Piccolo impression in that last video kills me.

Oh yeah, and this.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Just throwing a random reference does make you a fan of something. I can throw a reference to MLP or Sex and City in a show or comic, but that does mean I'm a fan. DBZ is popular enough that you can make a reference to it without knowing anything about it.
that's possible but i'd like to believe she is a fan.

anyways, anyone ever notice vegeta in a marvel comic?

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:55 pm

That's awesome, maybe it's supposed to be a costume of just a regular guy dressed as him, but that is still awesome, and if it is supposed to be him, it makes me happy to see Z character pop up in a true american comic. by the way really good eye by you. :clap: who knows maybe the woman next to him is Bulma... and she's a friend of Mr. Fantastic :lol:

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:18 am

Vegeta's night life. I love it lol.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:18 am

616 Vegeta confirm :) ! Vegeta in the Marvel movie universe :P!
She/Her