Saban/Konami's proposed purchase of 4Kids' assets

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Saban/Konami's proposed purchase of 4Kids' assets

Post by Ashura » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:33 pm

I figured I'd post this because it's kind of interesting. Kidsco -- which is essentially Saban -- is looking to split 4kids' assets with Konami. Konami obviously wants YuGiOh mainly, while Saban... well, it's kind of ironic, but the second title on the list is Dragonball:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... posed-deal

From this I'm guessing it's probably one of the more important titles, next to YuGiOh. Important enough that they'd purchase it, anyway, since I think they want the block of time itself more than anything.

Either way, it's sort of funny how circular things can be... considering how DBZ started in the US. I wonder if we'll see Kai on a newly branded Saban Kids block? Will we see a return of the children of death!? It looks like Saban's aiming to take over the Saturday Morning kids game all over again.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Saban/Konami's proposed purchase of 4Kids' assets

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:45 pm

If they have the rights, they'll probably air it. I do wonder if they will renew those rights, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:47 pm

very interesting. If they get Dragonball, what does that mean? Another dub? Another Kai dub? But, interesting!

Now only if we could figure out what company contracted ocean to dub kai....

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:very interesting. If they get Dragonball, what does that mean? Another dub? Another Kai dub? But, interesting!

The only rights they're inheriting from 4Kids is the rights to air Dragon Ball Kai on their block, not actual production rights.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:03 am

JulieYBM wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:very interesting. If they get Dragonball, what does that mean? Another dub? Another Kai dub? But, interesting!

The only rights they're inheriting from 4Kids is the rights to air Dragon Ball Kai on their block, not actual production rights.
Oh lol

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:13 am

Maybe Konami can make something good for once. This is interesting.

Thanks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 am

JulieYBM wrote:The only rights they're inheriting from 4Kids is the rights to air Dragon Ball Kai on their block, not actual production rights.
Exactly. And I'll note that's why this is so interesting; this is the exact same kind of rights Saban had to the show way back when DBZ first started airing.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:19 am

Talk about full circle.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Ashura wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:The only rights they're inheriting from 4Kids is the rights to air Dragon Ball Kai on their block, not actual production rights.
Exactly. And I'll note that's why this is so interesting; this is the exact same kind of rights Saban had to the show way back when DBZ first started airing.
Didn't they also have some input with censorship and music as well?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:27 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Maybe Konami can make something good for once. This is interesting.
For once? Are you really young, or not familiar with the greatness that was Contra, Castlevania, or the TMNT arcade game or its followup Turtles in Time?

On topic, don't know if it'll effect Kai or not.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Super Sonic wrote:On topic, don't know if it'll effect Kai or not.
Spoilers: it won't.

Even if it did, there's already an uncut release so...yeah.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Didn't they also have some input with censorship and music as well?
Yep, and so does Toonzai and Nicktoons. At least the editing, anyway.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 pm

On the topic and subject of the 4Kids split and bankruptcy, another example of the company split who was bankrupt which was Canwest Global Communications Corp. (now 2737469 Canada Inc.) leading to their sale and split their business operations with newspapers (Postmedia, spun off) and broadcasting (Shaw Media). Afterwards, their asset-less shell then began bankruptcy proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, which they already ceased to carry on business. Since 4Kids is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, they could suffer the same fate as mentioned above with the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise sold off to 4K/Konami and the rest of their business to KidsCo/Saban.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

DBfan4life
Beyond Newbie

Konami wins CW and 4kids assets including DBZ

Post by DBfan4life » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:31 am

Yeah so Konami, or Kidsco actually, now has the rights to DBZ with the agreement made between Funi and Toei animation. This also includes DBZ Kai. So what does this mean for the franchise now? Will they still be airing DBZ Kai or any Dragonball related things on the air?

Here is the article:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ami-kidsco

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Re: Konami wins CW and 4kids assets including DBZ

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 am

It's amazing how often people can misread/misinterpret things, especially when they haven't been paying attention.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:24 am

They only have the airing rights for DBZ Kai on a non-cable channel, nothing more.

Funimation still owns the rights to Dragon Ball as they have beforehand.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBfan4life
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBfan4life » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Gonstead wrote:They only have the airing rights for DBZ Kai on a non-cable channel, nothing more.

Funimation still owns the rights to Dragon Ball as they have beforehand.
I know Funi still owns the rights. I was asking what you guys think will happen to Dragon ball being on the air. Will they still show it on the same channels or are they going to take it off and put it in another network or what? I know it isn't exactly a great question and maybe I didn't word it right, but that is what I meant to ask basically.
MarcFBR wrote:It's amazing how often people can misread/misinterpret things, especially when they haven't been paying attention.
Well the only thing where I think you are saying I might have misinterpreted is where it probably looks like I said that Funi doesn't have dragon ball anymore and Konami now has it. Which isn't true and like I said I know Funi still has it. If you don't mind though, can you explain to me what it is I misread. I'm just curious not trying to start anything.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Just FYI, there's another thread where we've been discussing this whole thing here:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=20630

^_^

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Let's see how Konami's airing of DB goes.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:40 pm

The most important thing here is that if Pokemon's exclusivity contracting is still the norm at 4kids, which is probably is, Yu-gi-oh! just lost it's entire American voice cast. I doubt there will be any crossovers or callbacks any time soon given that the Yu-gi-oh! spin-offs are narrative advertising basically by NAS's own admission, but now the knowing few will have to explain to the (better off) ignorant many why Dan Green isn't coming out of Yugi's mouth anymore.

But that has nothing to do with Dragon Ball, but then Dragon Ball really wasn't what this was ever about, given that Nicktoons is the one reaping most of the Kai ratings.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada