Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Retan wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Image
"Toriyama forgot Mystic Gohan" confirmed.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Still, it's not a fact that Cell can't destroy the Solar System. This is Dragon Ball, not real-life.
I agree, it isn't a fact and you are indeed entitled to your opinion but again stuff like this only matters when comparing who is stronger than who. Since stuff like that has to be determined by the given, we can't use such unprovable statements like the one Cell made. Death Battle for example didn't take Cell's statement into account because thy couldn't prove it's validity with an official statement or feat. If you feel Cell can really destroy a solar system, more power to you but it can't be taken seriously when comparing 2 characters.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
"Toriyama forgot Mystic Gohan" confirmed.
How so?

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

kei17 wrote:Someone on 2ch pointed out that Birusu and Uisu are puns for these:

http://www.feedem.co.uk/images/products ... 443300.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SY450_.jpg

Hill's is spelled ヒルズ (Hiruzu) in Japanese, so it becomes ビルス (Birusu) if you move the ゛ mark, and whiskas is spelled ウィスカス (Uisukasu/Wisukasu).
So, this makes Bills (and Whis) more accurate than Beers.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Marco Polo wrote:"Toriyama forgot Mystic Gohan" confirmed.
How?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Storm101 wrote:
How so?
His eyes are not entirely circled like Ultimate Gohan:

Left: not Ultimate, right: Ultimate

ImageImage

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Storm101 wrote:
How so?
His eyes are not entirely circled like Ultimate Gohan:

http://i.imgur.com/pSDQR8N.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/k48eqa.jpghttp://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... DH/194.jpg
Who cares?

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm

cloud1414 wrote:Who cares?
Obviously you don't. Others do. If you don't have anything interesting or informative to say, please refrain from posting.
Last edited by Marco Polo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Okay, this is a general message to everyone... please stop leaving big images in your quotes. It makes the page cluttered and harder to scroll through and read.

See these tags?

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
When you see them in something you're quoting, all you have to do is change them to THIS instead.

Code: Select all

[url][/url]
It's that easy.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Just to confirm, we are still awaiting translations for the interview in the official movie guide, and the most recent interview discussing the inclusion of gods in Toriyama works was from V Jump?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 pm

The Toriyama Poster: Pu-erh balancing on Marron balancing on #18 is too cute. It's great to see Bee, too. I hope he shows up in the movie itself.

The "Official Movie Guide" Book: Is it really only 36 pages? This was mentioned a few pages back, but I find that really, really hard to believe. If those images from the previous page are indeed from that guide, though, then I'll be picking it up regardless of its length. It's nice to see that the other voice actors (Tanaka, Horikawa) have little mini-interviews!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks for posting that image of the group shot! And that clip from itunes is pretty good! Really shows how weak Goku is compared to the god of destruction.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Yeah, didn't notice that. Seems logical, since he forgot that Kaioshin merged with Kibito, thought that Super Saiyan 3 was actually Super Saiyan 2, and completely forgot Taopaipai. But either way, none of these matter anymore, since Toriyama read the whole manga again! :clap:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Marco Polo wrote: His eyes are not entirely circled like Ultimate Gohan:
So you're treating a fan-interpretation of the art as an established, in-universe fact?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Zephyr wrote:So you're treating a fan-interpretation of the art as an established, in-universe fact?
No, he just said that Toriyama forgot Ultimate Gohan, not that Gohan lost the power-up.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Zephyr wrote:
So you're treating a fan-interpretation of the art as an established, in-universe fact?
To be fair, it's a very consistent trait.
Anyway, I think it's less to do with Toriyama forgetting the power-up itself, but just him forgetting the eye thing. Maybe it was just a honest mistake when he was drawing it.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 pm

I still don't understand the obsession with whether or not Gohan was meant to be a Super Saiyan in the film originally and was fixed to Ultimate, or not. At least, I don't get it from a 'how strong is he in this movie' perspective. It's a curiosity to be sure, if you like to follow a movie's development and the background of it, but in movie he's getting his butt handed to him either way, so it makes no difference. Now maybe, if he'd been shown as a Super Saiyan and was holding his own, I'd be more concerned with him doing better than Goku without his Ultimate state...but that doesn't happen.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Ryuman wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
To be fair, it's a very consistent trait.
Anyway, I think it's less to do with Toriyama forgetting the power-up itself, but just him forgetting the eye thing. Maybe it was just a honest mistake when he was drawing it.
This. And even if he read through the entire manga to refresh his memory, he probably wouldn't notice that little detail. Not to mention that picture is in a different art style.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:35 pm

shonenhikada wrote: - Goku punches a hole through a planet 10x more dense than Earth when battling Bill.
And that planet is King Kai's planet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAmtkSraJaE

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:35 pm

shonenhikada wrote:Can anyone confirm or deny these claims for this movie
Oh god you're back :problem: . I don't why you want Universe destroying powers so badly in DBZ when destroying Planets is already good enough. I think the galaxy destroying claim came from Piccolo in the trailer which I'm going to take a grain of salt. No one in DBZ shown the power to up wipe out a galaxy completely, so I doubt Birusu can do it even with power scaling.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/