Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 am

The 2ch regular BOG thread jumped three threads while I was sleeping! o_O
*Has reading to do*.

Also new artwork is definitely popping up on Pixiv. X3 It looks like Birus was well-liked.

EDIT: 3 2ch threads later. @_@

Has this interview been translated or seen yet? http://www.asahi.com/culture/update/032 ... 90330.html
I think it's an interview. @_@
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:51 am

Chuquita wrote:Has this interview been translated or seen yet? http://www.asahi.com/culture/update/032 ... 90330.html
It's an interview... and behind a paywall. :problem:

Anybody subscribe to the Asahi Shimbun...?

From the part that can be read, this quote stands out:
また、ハリウッド映画、実写版のドラゴンボールのとき、脚本があまりにも世界観や特徴をとらえておらず、更にありきたりの面白いとは思えない内容だったので、注意をしたり、変更案を提示したりしたにもかかわらず、向こうは妙な自信があるようであまり聞き入れてもらえませんでした。結局できあがったのは、案の定な出来のドラゴンボールともいえないような映画でした。
-------
"Also, at the time of the Hollywood movie, the live-action Dragon Ball, the script had too little of a grasp on the world and its characteristics, and on top of that, it had a conventional content that I couldn't find interesting, so I cautioned them, and suggested changes; but in spite of that, they seemed to have a strange confidence, and didn't really listen to me. What came out in the end was, sure enough, a movie that I could not think of as Dragon Ball."
So I was right about Toriyama's comments at the time being thinly-veiled disappointment, but what I didn't expect was how deeply it apparently struck a nerve with him. Going on record to be this negative about Evolution means that he must have despised it.

Then there's this:
ビルスという名前はあらすじにあったものをそのまま使いました。どうやらビールスというかウイルスから取った名前だったようですが、僕は酒のビールからと勘違いし、付き人の名前はウイスキーから取ったウイスと名付けてしまいました(※集英社から正式に「ビルス→ビール」「ウイス→ウイスキー」に由来すると補足説明あり)。
-------
The name "Birus"[/"Beers"], I used as-is from the story outline. Anyway, it's apparently a name that was taken from "virus", but I mistakenly thought it came from "beer", and gave his attendant the name "Whis", which I took from "whiskey". (Shueisha gives a supplemental explanation that officially, "Beers" comes from "beer", and "Whis" from "whiskey".)
So it looks like technically, the "virus" and "alcohol" theories were both right... because Toriyama screwed up. It certainly explains why Watanabe has been so adamant on Twitter that they're not alcohol-based puns. Shueisha seems to officially disagree with him, though: the theatrical program uses the romanizations "Beers" and "Whis".
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:55 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Has this interview been translated or seen yet? http://www.asahi.com/culture/update/032 ... 90330.html
It's an interview... and behind a paywall. :problem:

Anybody subscribe to the Asahi Shimbun...?
The same interview was on Yahoo too http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130 ... asahik-ent . Is that one also subscribe-only? Looks like it might be.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 pm

Guys, you can still call him Beers.

A new interview with Toriyama:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130 ... asahik-ent

It says that Watanabe named Birus after virus, but Toriyama mistakenly assumed that it's pun for beer and named Uis after whiskey.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Brilliant. You go, Toriyama.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 pm

kei17 wrote:Guys, you can still call him Beers.

A new interview with Toriyama:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130 ... asahik-ent

It says that Watanabe named Birus after virus, but Toriyama mistakenly assumed that it's pun for beer and named Uis after whiskey.
Hah, nice! :) I like Beer and Whiskey over Virus...and it sticks with the food puns of Dragonball :)
Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 pm

So Birusu from virus and Uisu from whiskey. Nice xD

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Oh, thank Dende.

*kicks "Uis" out the door*

"Viirus" and "Whis" it is. :)

EDIT: Also, that Toriyama interview where he talks so badly about Evolution is extremely fascinating stuff.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 pm

That little snippet doesn't sound like he was very upset about Evolution. Maybe disappointed they didn't take any of his suggestions seriously, but I'm still feeling that general Toriyama apathy. "It would have been nice if they listened to me, but thems the breaks. And I got paid. Why are you asking me about lunch? I've already ate."

And hooray for Beers and Whis!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Aha, that's hilarious. I guess I'll go with the intended puns.... so Birus and Whis, I guess. Funny how it all sorta works out both ways though.
MagicBox wrote:Also, that Toriyama interview where he talks so badly about Evolution is extremely fascinating stuff.
What?! Didn't he say how amazing it was in another recent intervirew? Toriyama, you two-faced bastard. :lol:

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Ryuman wrote:What?! Didn't he say how amazing it was in another recent interview?
Just take a look at Sir Julian's post at the top of this page. He was kind enough to translate a snippet. :)

Anyway, I'm still beyond pleased with this reveal of the "true" name puns. This works especially well for me, since I really love "Viirus" but I hated "Uis," and I really hated "Beers" but I loved "Whis." And now, guess what? Both of the ones I love have been confirmed to be correct! Awesome.

I wonder if the Kanzenshuu staff will alter their "official" spelling of "Uis" to "Whis."

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Ryuman wrote:What?! Didn't he say how amazing it was in another recent intervirew? Toriyama, you two-faced bastard. :lol:
Well, he describes it in the Mandō Kobayashi Q&A as tondemonaku sugoi in Japanese, which does not necessarily have a positive connotation. It could be read as "incredibly amazing", or "unthinkably terrible". Toriyama was obviously playing with the ambiguity inherent in the phrasing, but he apparently meant the latter.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

The name puns working for both the virus and beer puns because of confusion is great. X3

I like the alcohol ones more because of how the final version of the plot turned out with the party and all.
In terms of personal spellings I think I'll go with Birus and Whis.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:28 pm

So, apparently...

Whis: ウイス

Whiskey: ウイスキー

Toriyama just chopped off the ending. So, in the end, was the whole "original Latin pronunciation of "virus"" thing just a coincidence?

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:31 pm

MagicBox wrote:So, apparently...

Whis: ウイス

Whiskey: ウイスキー

Toriyama just chopped off the ending. So, in the end, was the whole "original Latin pronunciation of "virus"" thing just a coincidence?
Apparently so, but it's interesting that they end up working with both possible origins.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Well, he describes it in the Mandō Kobayashi Q&A as tondemonaku sugoi in Japanese, which does not necessarily have a positive connotation. It could be read as "incredibly amazing", or "unthinkably terrible". Toriyama was obviously playing with the ambiguity inherent in the phrasing, but he apparently meant the latter.
Ah, I see. That still makes me laugh.
I cautioned them, and suggested changes; but in spite of that, they seemed to have a strange confidence, and didn't really listen to me. What came out in the end was, sure enough, a movie that I could not think of as Dragon Ball."
Hollywood in a nutshell.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Just when I was getting used to 'Birus', it seems 'Beers' really is legit too? GAH. This is so confusing. :lol:

Okay, I'm out. Full synopsis. Must...read...must absorb. Everything. Then return with thoughts. Yes. Cannot. Speak properly. Excitement overload. Eeeeee.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
The name "Birus"[/"Beers"], I used as-is from the story outline. Anyway, it's apparently a name that was taken from "virus", but I mistakenly thought it came from "beer", and gave his attendant the name "Whis", which I took from "whiskey". (Shueisha gives a supplemental explanation that officially, "Beers" comes from "beer", and "Whis" from "whiskey".)
So it looks like technically, the "virus" and "alcohol" theories were both right... because Toriyama screwed up. It certainly explains why Watanabe has been so adamant on Twitter that they're not alcohol-based puns. Shueisha seems to officially disagree with him, though: the theatrical program uses the romanizations "Beers" and "Whis".
That is hilarious! so Watanabe is telling his version on his side, Toriyama, meanwhile is saying he screwed up, and Shueisha is thinking that even the mistakes of Toriyama have more weight that Watanabe original idea. Awesome! :lol:
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:08 pm

I think I'll be most comfortable with "Beers" and "Whis," especially since that's our first, long-awaited "official" romanization from the film's program/pamphlet/whatever. For one, I like my name-puns consistent. But also, while the "virus" pun may have worked well for the original concept of the character who infected people with evil, the more goofy food-based option seems to better fit the character in his final, Toriyama-reimagined form.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Kaboom wrote:I think I'll be most comfortable with "Beers" and "Whis," especially since that's our first, long-awaited "official" romanization from the film's program/pamphlet/whatever. For one, I like my name-puns consistent. But also, while the "virus" pun may have worked well for the original concept of the character who infected people with evil, the more goofy food-based option seems to better fit the character in his final, Toriyama-reimagined form.
I think that your argument for Beers/Whis just synched it for me Kaboom. You're right, the virus name pun doesn't really fit with the characters we actually have now...so I'm going back to Beers/Whis.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)