"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Post by dprez » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:35 pm

I just read that message from Toriyama...It is kind of sad, but this man must be tired of this by now. Gotta understand and respect that. It's nice knowing he really is doing this "all by himself" like when he started Dragon Ball, which makes me want to finish reading it even more.

This is Akira Toriyama's final manga that is completely from his own mind. I love how he talks about it that way, and how once we finish it we will really understand him and his thought process these days. It's a good time to be alive folks.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Mousey wrote:The biggest mystery is, who's speaking at the beginning? I notice a lot of folks thinking it's Jaco but it seems to me like it's Omori.
I think it's definitely Omori, I mean the narrator is talking about "that alien" and how he lives on the small island by himself.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Definitely happy the connection is confirmed, and I can't wait to see how it actually plays out. I think a lot of us are on the right track, but Toriyama could always throw us a curve ball. It feels like a decent way for Toriyama to step out of the manga world as a solo act though. From the way that foreword was written, he's writing a story that he wants to tell, how he wants to tell it, and having it tie into his biggest work that changed the Jump world. It's nice to have a new set of characters from his imagination, but having them in this universe that is so untapped, that's what I want. The Dragon Ball connection doesn't even need to be anything overwhelming. I don't know what he's planning, but I'd be happy with just references alluding to the connection, and then having it pop up for only like one panel at the end. (For example, say the baby Goku idea is right. Jaco can decide not to kill him and leave the planet's fate in the hands of the Earthlings themselves, with the final panel being Gohan finding Goku at his pod.)
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Ok, this has a Dragon Ball connection... :o

I'm... so happy! :D That "DB-11" thing seamed weird, and after reading through this thread, all I can say is hell yes. This is a prequel to Dragon Ball!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:42 pm

It is a bit much to advertise it as the revival of Dragon Ball already if the connection is supposed to be something small we find out at the very end. Toriyama's comment is kinda vague so maybe the connection will show up sooner than we expect? Or maybe they are just trying to get more readers hooked.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

dprez wrote:I just read that message from Toriyama...It is kind of sad.
If anyone wants to read it:
medama_oyaji wrote:Here's Toriyama's comment in Viz's Shonen Jump:

http://i.imgur.com/7z8sNfA.jpg
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 pm

I think the dangerous alien race Jaco is talking about are the Saiyans. I'm just really exited to see the tie-in, and I can't wait for the second chapter!! :D
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 pm

I myself didn't catch any hints to the DB tie-in at all, save for the scene where Jaco defeats the giant shark reminding me of the first chapter of Dragon Ball where Goku defeated the large, talking fish. in any case, however, I did enjoy it very much, as it did feel very Toriyama-esque what with the aliens and science-fiction aspects. I think this will be a fun ride, and I'm looking forward to more, and especially on how it's all connected to Dragon Ball.
So mondo lame.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 pm

The old man reminds me of a character in one of Toriyama's manga. I first thought it was Rao from Sand Land, but they don't look like that much.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Well this is awesome. I'll definitely be keeping up with this.

And if time travel is prohibited by intergalactic law (assuming this is the in the same universe as DB), Trunks and Cell are criminals many times over. :lol:

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:03 am

The one thing that doesn't seem to connect that well with DB is how the "government" is described as having possibly shady intentions. The King didn't really seem shady at all in DB. Plus Oomori seems to equate "Earthlings" with "humans" even though there were tons of animal people in early DB (hell the King himself is a dog).

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:06 am

Marco Polo wrote:The one thing that doesn't seem to connect that well with DB is how the "government" is described as having possibly shady intentions. The King didn't really seem shady at all in DB. Plus Oomori seems to equate "Earthlings" with "humans" even though there were tons of animal people in early DB (hell the King himself is a dog).
To be fair, Toriyama forgot the furries even during the original manga's run.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:28 am

Maybe...wans't there an interview somewhere that had him saying that he started to use less of them as the story became more serious, as he didn't think they fit in anymore too? Or am I just confusing everything after memory overload with all the Battle of Gods interviews we'd gotten?

EDIT:
Herms wrote:
Adamant wrote:I believe he was asked this in an interview once, and his quite Toriyama-esque answer is that he just forgot about them.
Herms?
He was asked that in one of his interviews in US Shonen Jump. I don't have the issue on hand and the only thing I remember is that he says their frequent appearances at the start of the series was due to him coming off of Dr. Slump and being influenced by that. He might have gone on to say that he forgot about them.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 am

I feel like it's in a timeline somewhere, but isn't there an official year listed when DB's Earth's ruler came into power?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 am

In fact, there are no clear references to Dragon Ball in this first chapter. There are even contradictions to Dragon Ball.
The flying object sent on Earth from a planet of malicious aliens, with a quite a terrifying alien on it, may be maybe not a reference to the Saiyans and Goku.
But Time Machines, scientists, aliens, superheroes from space, etc. exist in a lot of Toriyama's manga, starting with Dr. Slump.
Chuquita wrote:I feel like it's in a timeline somewhere, but isn't there an official year listed when DB's Earth's ruler came into power?
It takes place three days before the arrival of the malicious alien. If the alien is Goku, it takes place in Age 737. Furry becomes the new king in May 8, Age 733.
But maybe the alien is King Nikochan.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 am

Chuquita wrote:I feel like it's in a timeline somewhere, but isn't there an official year listed when DB's Earth's ruler came into power?
Piccolo Daimao attacked during the King's 20th year if I recall, right? If this is set prior to DB when Goku is a baby, then he'll have only been in power for about 5 years at that point. And who knows how long ago Omori's original experiments may have been?

Besides, who's to say that someone else running the particular governmental department funding it didn't have shady intentions even if the King is upfront? He can't monitor everything that happens beneath him constantly.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:49 am

Just for those who are curious, Oomori's name 大盛 literally means "a large serving (of food)", keeping that Dragon Ball tradition of culinary punning-nomenclature alive.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:45 am

Shoryuken wrote:Just for those who are curious, Oomori's name 大盛 literally means "a large serving (of food)", keeping that Dragon Ball tradition of culinary punning-nomenclature alive.
And having piqued my curiosity with that, I pulled out my Weekly Jump (Viz's version) and took a close look at Omori's wife's gravestone. As far as I can tell her name was "大盛飯子", there's no indication of what the reading of the kanji might be, but the first character of her given name is the same character as the "han" in "Gohan", meaning "rice" and the second one is "ko", meaning "child", which is a common character to see on the end of girl's names. So... "Omori Hanko" was her name? ("Meshiko"? "Iiko"?)

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Shoryuken wrote:Just for those who are curious, Oomori's name 大盛 literally means "a large serving (of food)", keeping that Dragon Ball tradition of culinary punning-nomenclature alive.
And having piqued my curiosity with that, I pulled out my Weekly Jump (Viz's version) and took a close look at Omori's wife's gravestone. As far as I can tell her name was "大盛飯子", there's no indication of what the reading of the kanji might be, but the first character of her given name is the same character as the "han" in "Gohan", meaning "rice" and the second one is "ko", meaning "child", which is a common character to see on the end of girl's names. So... "Omori Hanko" was her name? ("Meshiko"? "Iiko"?)
Well there's an actual name using those characters which is pronounced as Mamako.

Perhaps she has a connection to Gohan (siblings?) seeing as they both share the same kanji in their names?
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am

I don't know how I'd feel about his wife being related to Son Gohan. It makes the world feel small.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.