"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Even if it's just a one-shot rather than a new series, I'm still intrigued, since new Toriyama is always good.

Am I the only one getting Freeza vibes from the little alien thing in-between the girl and the old man? I think it's the purple dome.

I'm getting a Kid Boo vibe mixed with Cashman (who looks like Coola).

He also kind of looks like Bebi.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I know this is unlikely, but I hope the girl with the awesome hat is the protagonist.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Scarz wrote:I know this is unlikely, but I hope the girl with the awesome hat is the protagonist.
I fear she might be in a Bulma like role (like in the first arc).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
Scarz wrote:I know this is unlikely, but I hope the girl with the awesome hat is the protagonist.
I fear she might be in a Bulma like role (like in the first arc).
*sigh* I have a feeling she is. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm just wondering how pervy or not the old man character is gonna be. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:47 pm

If this does end up being a serial, what was his longest post-DB work? Sandland? Neko Majin? I'm kind of in awe...
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Sandland was 14 chapters, pretty sure that's his longest recent work.

Don't expect this new series to be more than that.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:07 am

Maybe Battle of Gods got him wanting to create some (short) manga, but it's always nice to see Toriyama come out with new stuff occasionally.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 am

Very happy about this.

Toriyama is one of the best sequential artists in our lifetime. But I'm preaching to the choir here, aren't I?

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 am

I'm guessing it'll be another one-volume long story. And I'm totally happy with that! His shorter works that are written with a more solid beginning, middle, and end are really strong.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was pitched as a short series, and that Toriyama has been working slowly on it for some time, so he won't exactly be working at the hectic pace that a weekly author has to keep.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm just wondering how pervy or not the old man character is gonna be. :P
I think it's Toriyama law that all old men must be perverted in his manga.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm just wondering how pervy or not the old man character is gonna be. :P
You mean the shonen action anime/manga law. To be fair, Grandpa Gohan wasn't sexually perverted.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:
You mean the shonen action anime/manga law. To be fair, Grandpa Gohan wasn't perverted.
Yes he was. Watch the episode where he goes back to heaven.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Jord wrote: Yes he was. Watch the episode where he goes back to heaven.
What happened there?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:21 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jord wrote: Yes he was. Watch the episode where he goes back to heaven.
What happened there?
Goku suggested he wish him back to life, and he said that he didn't mind being dead because of the women in heaven. :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:24 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:
You mean the shonen action anime/manga law. To be fair, Grandpa Gohan wasn't sexually perverted.
There's Guru. He's not particularly perverted. Admittedly, he's a member of a race of asexual slug people, but still.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:There's Guru. He's not particularly perverted. Admittedly, he's a member of a race of asexual slug people, but still.
And he's also pretty much on his death bed. Who knows what he would have been like had he been in better health.

...I'm sure there's an off-color TFS-style joke I could make here (Nail...NAIL!), but I won't.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I just hope that there's a small DB crossover. Not too much to ask for, right?
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
...I'm sure there's an off-color TFS-style joke I could make here (Nail...NAIL!), but I won't.
Nail is his bitch.

There. I said it.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Roshi is a pervert, Jiraiya is (Naruto), Netero is (Hunter X Hunter)....I think the only ones who aren't that perverted are those from One Piece, so people like Garp, Rayleigh etc unless Brook counts. Genkai from YuYu Hakusho might count as an exception, because she's a woman. Zeno from Hunter X Hunter too.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DirtyOldMan
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ