Akira Toriyama and DB/Other landscape designs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kerunou

Akira Toriyama and DB/Other landscape designs

Post by Kerunou » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 pm

As of late, I've become somewhat enthralled with the landscapes/setting designs that are in correlation with Toriyama's many artistic endeavors, dragonball included. As a traditional artist myself, I've actually started recreating some of these designs and have had a good time doing so. I wanted to explicitly point out a few and ask about them.

^This one has really peaked my interest, does anyone know if Toriyama did this design? Or someone well-versed in his style? Because this screams original Dragon ball to me. I really love this one and I've been working on a recreation/interpolation of it for a couple days. Really fun stuff. Are there any more DBO designs like this?

Everyone has seen this one at one time or another, but it's another incredible example of these setting/landscapes he's done.

In addition to all this, are there any Blue Dragon concepts similar to these? Because the settings in Blue Dragon were arguably one of the better design aspects of the game in my opinion.

If any of you know of similiar designs by Toriyama, designs showcasing the landscape, please feel free to throw 'em up here. I'd really love to see more of this kind of thing.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama and DB/Other landscape designs

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

I suggest looking at the RRA arc panels. A lot of them have beautiful landscapes to admire. Some Dragon Quest artwork may pique your interest too, which is also illustrated by Toriyama.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kerunou

Re: Akira Toriyama and DB/Other landscape designs

Post by Kerunou » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I suggest looking at the RRA arc panels. A lot of them have beautiful landscapes to admire. Some Dragon Quest artwork may pique your interest too, which is also illustrated by Toriyama.
Of course! Dragon Quest totally slipped my mind, thank you. I'll check out that and the panels, thanks again.