Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Back to tie topic at hand, I was watching the Season 1Blu-Ray, and it physically made my eyes ache until I turned the brightness down on my TV.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:44 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Back to tie topic at hand, I was watching the Season 1Blu-Ray, and it physically made my eyes ache until I turned the brightness down on my TV.
It's not as bright as th Orange Bricks that's for sure. Did they use the same process to remaster blu rays that they used for the Orange bricks?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Did they use the same process to remaster blu rays that they used for the prange bricks?
Sort of. I suppose saying that they approached these sets with the same mentality as the Orange Bricks would be more accurate.

It's all about zero grain, bright colours, high contrast, and widescreen. Their methods were certainly more effective this time around, but the results are pretty much just as horrible.

Whether you pick the bricks or the Blu-rays, you're going to be met with equal a number of issues. The Blu-rays have issues with line-clarity in everything but close-ups, and the "manual" 16:9 cropping is occasionally terrible. But they do have far less obnoxious colours and feature significantly improved Japanese audio. On the other side of things, the bricks over over-contrasted for a majority of arcs, and feature compromised line-art in the earlier arcs.

You can't win, even though I'd still recommend the Blu-rays for the sake of better colours and the mostly improved cropping.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:18 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Watch his Home Video video with Super Jaiyan. Tons of misinformation
Hmm I suppose you are referring to this: https://youtu.be/waOT0LCDiqY
He does indeed mention Kei17's audio at around 17 minutes in. Don't know where exactly that comes from.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Watch his Home Video video with Super Jaiyan. Tons of misinformation
He does indeed mention Kei17's audio at around 17 minutes in. Don't know where exactly that comes from.
Okay, yeah. That's entirely wrong.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Ajay wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:
Okay, yeah. That's entirely wrong.
Yeah, it is. I can't defend that one, I have never watched that video before.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:49 pm

The guy who spoke seriously implied that Kei's audio recordings were featured on these Blu-rays? :crazy: It's not. Funimation cleaned up the audio tracks they already have (the good ol' muffled audios) because if it were the broadcast audio tracks they'd need to ask permission to Toei. I think it's unrealistic for Toei to greenlit Funimation or any other foreign company to have anything superior than they do themselves. Bar the Level Blu-rays.

Whilst I can't read Japanese there's a 5 star review on Amazon Japan so that's great. I did attempt to read the translation via Google but it left me more confused than anything.
It was released Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray abroad. In Japan, now the only current DVD,

Blu-ray of the TV story is this is the first? I think.
Overseas animation company called Funimation? There seems to be subjected to the HD remastered with the help of film from Toei.

I might have watched several episodes in, such as BS and rental but, anyway image quality was good enough might be another dimension (indeed exaggeration?) With it.

Because just a still old work, it rash noise is not ginger Well located in the main part but OP is beautiful. However it may be deducted it. This would be good! (Or have reddish skin of the character is slightly, blue sky, etc. or have faded green) drawing of color at the time of the DVD or in a dark place, dust and scratches stand out in the BS broadcasting, such as dust. Release the past, unfortunately places of broadcast video has finished in beautiful.

And the most amazing is, that can be purchased at 2,000 yen Choi in 17 episodes. In spite of was a consuming task this time, but it is Japan 's first no price. Overseas production was purchased for the first time, but I'm glad I bought it. I like a constantly buy even broke student!

By the way, the voice is three. Also the guy of English different BGM, BGM only and the guy of the same English and Japanese, Japanese voice Manma of. But Japanese voice is probably mono? I think that it is sound. (Not the same as DVD)

The last is to supplement, but 2013 now you are now write a review,
Mr. distributor of Funimation is why indefinitely postponed the release of 2.1, 2.2, 1.2 or later? It seems to be.

Story Saiyan later that it is the present stage is unknown whether to sell because it is. Why ...'m.

Since the Well is a 17-years of the theater version of "God and God" in also published now, please try to look back the battle of the Z warriors Come quality this opportunity!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:Back to tie topic at hand, I was watching the Season 1Blu-Ray, and it physically made my eyes ache until I turned the brightness down on my TV.
It's not as bright as th Orange Bricks that's for sure. Did they use the same process to remaster blu rays that they used for the Orange bricks?
My eyes never felt strained when watching the orange bricks, however, so if it's not brightness, then I don't know what it is.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:18 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
My eyes never felt strained when watching the orange bricks, however, so if it's not brightness, then I don't know what it is.
I could see getting eye strain from the Blu-rays, because the lines are "sharp", but they also look very out of focus, oily, and unnatural. The "pan and scan" also makes me feel motion sickness, like when movies have unnecessary shaky cam.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 am

after all this time guess funi are still silent on this

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:33 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
gokaiblue wrote: My eyes never felt strained when watching the orange bricks, however, so if it's not brightness, then I don't know what it is.
I could see getting eye strain from the Blu-rays, because the lines are "sharp", but they also look very out of focus, oily, and unnatural. The "pan and scan" also makes me feel motion sickness, like when movies have unnecessary shaky cam.
I honesty started to get a headache when I first started watching 'Season 1' on Blu-Ray.. it just felt so weird.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Well i just bought season 1 and I guess after seeing kai so much the funimation dub doesn't appeal to me it just isn't that good to me anymore. Plus I see what people mean about the cropping. The only thing I can tolerate about the dub is that johnsons music isn't that bad.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:15 pm

I was looking through the prices of the season sets and it seems that Funni is basically selling them at 60 cents per episode whereas the Level sets were at what? $2 per episode? That undoubtedly played into their decision. The show has been released time and time again. If the content were still relatively fresh maybe they could pull that off(Attack on Titan for example sells 13 episodes on blu ray for $28) but that not really feasible with DBZ. I suppose the damage to the way the series was consumed was already done back when the Orange bricks came out. Now 7 years later we still don't have a proper release that can be easily attained.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

supersaiyan DbZ fan
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyan DbZ fan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Hello Everybody
Does anyone know when these blu ray seasons will be released in the UK? (region 2) Or has it been released already?
Someone hit me up when Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu :lolno:, Goten, Buu, and Gohan :!: :!: :!: become relevant again :?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:56 pm

supersaiyan DbZ fan wrote:Hello Everybody
Does anyone know when these blu ray seasons will be released in the UK? (region 2) Or has it been released already?
MangaUK announced some time ago they have no plans to release the season Blu-Rays because of the criticisms they've gotten.

For now, your best bet is to import them, they work in UK Blu-Ray players anyway.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
MangaUK announced some time ago they have no plans to release the season Blu-Rays because of the criticisms they've gotten.

For now, your best bet is to import them, they work in UK Blu-Ray players anyway.
Really? I thought it was due to that poll they did Season BD's or Kai. Thought Kai won because why.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Really? I thought it was due to that poll they did Season BD's or Kai. Thought Kai won because why.
BlackCatScott linked it earlier in this thread, but here it is:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz ... 6862908416

And this was after Manga announced Kai so presumably the plan was to release both Kai and Z on Blu-Ray, and the poll was used to indicate which would be released first.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

BlackCatScott linked it earlier in this thread, but here it is:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AskJeromeMaz ... 6862908416

And this was after Manga announced Kai so presumably the plan was to release both Kai and Z on Blu-Ray, and the poll was used to indicate which would be released first.
Oh that's interesting. I don't think it'll sell well enough anyway for a license especially after Kai. Manga tried releasing Fairy Tail on BD a few years after releasing it on DVD. It sold really poor and now Manga don't have the license anymore.

Season BDs are region B portable too. I think they made the right call definitely.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Have you guys seen the recent price of the Level sets?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ba ... ray/26859/

$34.98 $1098.05 - now they could definitely afford all the restoration job! :lol:

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:23 pm

*cradles my Level Set like it was my own progeny*