Inconsistencies created by filler

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Inconsistencies created by filler

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:52 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:" I know that Freeza destroyed the Saiyan Race "

Or was that a dub error?
Dub error. In the subbed version, it fits with the canon just fine. Nappa brings up the rumors, and Vegeta simply says "I don't care if he did". It all comes together when Dodoria confirms the rumors.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Yesterday I came across the one dragon ball inconsistency in episode 33 of the original Dragon Ball anime. It was quite amusing to see Kame-Senin's explanation in the episode and I loved every second of it! I wonder who decided to come up with this (inconsistent) origin of the dragon balls? :think:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 pm

In the pendulum room episode, it looks like Planet Vegeta is war torn, but in the Bardock special, it's an advanced technological society. Granted, it could just be a different part of the planet, but I think the war torn part is a more accurate depiction of what Vegeta would be like. They don't have the qualities necessary for an advanced civilization. They aren't civilized.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:17 pm

ABED wrote:In the pendulum room episode, it looks like Planet Vegeta is war torn, but in the Bardock special, it's an advanced technological society. Granted, it could just be a different part of the planet, but I think the war torn part is a more accurate depiction of what Vegeta would be like. They don't have the qualities necessary for an advanced civilization. They aren't civilized.
Since when does the requirement for an civilization in necessary for Anime? Besides Freeza could had some influence of the tech they had there.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:09 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It was never stated that Gohan can't go SSj after turning mystic anyways. Another one created by filler is that the whole world knew about Nappa and Vegeta, but no one seem to recognize Vegeta during the Cell Games or the 25th Tenkachi Budokai. Won't people point out saying "Hey he looks like the same evil Alien invader from a few years back! Why he is helping to save the Earth then destroy it like Cell?!".
The general populace of DB Earth have very short memory spans.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:14 am

Another one I remember is that Roshi's turtle once had its power level read with a scouter and came to be like 0.0001 or something, then in a filler episode featuring Krillin's girlfriend Maron, the turtle beat up a bunch of thugs, which would make no sense as the average human (farmer's) PL was 5.

Unless the turtle knows how to suppress his power... :think:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:26 am

Since when does the requirement for an civilization in necessary for Anime?
Not sure what your question is about.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:42 am

ABED wrote:In the pendulum room episode, it looks like Planet Vegeta is war torn, but in the Bardock special, it's an advanced technological society. Granted, it could just be a different part of the planet, but I think the war torn part is a more accurate depiction of what Vegeta would be like. They don't have the qualities necessary for an advanced civilization. They aren't civilized.
It's possible that the entire pendulum room was created from their ideas about the Saiyans and Planet Vegeta, and not being real in any way.
However, if they really went into a "projection" of how the planet was a hundred years ago, it doesn't have to be a plothole. If we take the fact that both Saiyans and Tsufurs lived in the planet as canon, we could think that the planet Vegeta we see is in the middle of a war that won't end until decades later. After winning the war thanks to King Vegeta, they could have blasted off into space (if they didn't come from space in the first place, as some OVAs claim) and come into contact with Freeza, who would have given them technology. The flashback episode in DBZ depicts primitive Saiyans contacting an alien race while wearing a primitive version of their suits (and the pendulum room episode shows the two illusion Saiyans in full armor), which they supposedly didn't get until meeting Freeza. However, I think that's a minor detail.
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Another one I remember is that Roshi's turtle once had its power level read with a scouter and came to be like 0.0001 or something, then in a filler episode featuring Krillin's girlfriend Maron, the turtle beat up a bunch of thugs, which would make no sense as the average human (farmer's) PL was 5.

Unless the turtle knows how to suppress his power... :think:
I like to think that he can supress his power.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:19 pm

ABED wrote:
When does the requirement for a civilization. Well...an advance one applied to Anime? I'm sure in Anime and especially DBZ the standers are different.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:32 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I like to think that he can supress his power.
Maybe, although I vaguely recall that he was disappointed/upset at having such a low PL.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:25 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ABED wrote:
When does the requirement for a civilization. Well...an advance one applied to Anime? I'm sure in Anime and especially DBZ the standers are different.
I wasn't referring to the requirements in anime. I don't think writers think of something like that. My point was that I think a war torn Vegeta is a better interpretation of what Vegeta would be like.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
It's possible that the entire pendulum room was created from their ideas about the Saiyans and Planet Vegeta, and not being real in any way.
However, if they really went into a "projection" of how the planet was a hundred years ago, it doesn't have to be a plothole. If we take the fact that both Saiyans and Tsufurs lived in the planet as canon, we could think that the planet Vegeta we see is in the middle of a war that won't end until decades later. After winning the war thanks to King Vegeta, they could have blasted off into space (if they didn't come from space in the first place, as some OVAs claim) and come into contact with Freeza, who would have given them technology. The flashback episode in DBZ depicts primitive Saiyans contacting an alien race while wearing a primitive version of their suits (and the pendulum room episode shows the two illusion Saiyans in full armor), which they supposedly didn't get until meeting Freeza. However, I think that's a minor detail.

In the timeline there is a year that says there were civil unrest or civil wars among the saiyans. So it's probably to address the events of that particular episode.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:41 pm

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet but wasn't Goku space pod near where Piccolo and Gohan trained in filler? Which for some odd reason turn Gohan into an ape due to an Moon image.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:02 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I haven't seen this one mentioned yet but wasn't Goku space pod near where Piccolo and Gohan trained in filler? Which for some odd reason turn Gohan into an ape due to an Moon image.
Beat ya to it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 pm

http://youtu.be/zFwmAkHBcfA?t=2m11s

^ Trunks's flashback filler had Future Bulma dead.

TTC817

Post by TTC817 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:37 am

It isn't Planet Vegeta. At no point in the original Japanese subtitled version do they say that this is Planet Vegeta. Any reference to that being the planet they are on is dub only and not canon. It is either another world the Saiyans were fighting on to conquer for Frieza, or simply an illusionary planet that didn't exist, for the sake of Kami giving them a chance to fight Saiyans.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:39 pm

TTC817 wrote:
It isn't Planet Vegeta. At no point in the original Japanese subtitled version do they say that this is Planet Vegeta. Any reference to that being the planet they are on is dub only and not canon. It is either another world the Saiyans were fighting on to conquer for Freeza, or simply an illusionary planet that didn't exist, for the sake of Kami giving them a chance to fight Saiyans.
Well... it had saiyan statues on it. And as I said before, there was somekind of civil war/unrest in Planet Vegeta.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:11 pm

When I read the title, it came to my mind right away the filler where Yamcha Tien and Chaozu beat the Ginyu force on Kaio-sama Planet.
Even knowing Vegeta got 2 power boosts after his loss agaisnt Recoome, this filler still makes him look ridiculous.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:When I read the title, it came to my mind right away the filler where Yamcha Tenshinhan and Chaozu beat the Ginyu force on Kaio-sama Planet.
Even knowing Vegeta got 2 power boosts after his loss agaisnt Recoome, this filler still makes him look ridiculous.
It's not really an inconcistency. Piccolo was implied to get a massive boost from a week of the same training, and V-Jump supports such a boost for the humans on the page where it gives power levels for post-zenkai Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, and 1st form Freeza.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Training gains were never consistent anyway, so I don't mind it. I mean, let Chaotzu have one damn victory in this whole thing.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.