Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 am

So thanks to the Twitter feed, she uh...seems to have a name now thanks to Toriyama's interview in the Saikyou Jump for the Episode of Bardock "Super Kanzenban", and we're apparently going to be able to see her as well...
@M1120A wrote:The name of Goku's mother has been revealed in Saikyo Jump. She is Gine (pronounced like ghi-neh).
@PharaoDopazo wrote: Toriyama has said that the mother of Goku is Gine (ギネ).
She can be found in the bonus pages of the Ginga Patrol Jaco volume out in April.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku's mother...

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 am

Finally.I thought that Toriyama completely forgot about Goku's mother.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 am

For your information, it also says that she was not cut out for fighting due to being gentle. She used be a member of Bardock's team and "developed some feelings for" Bardock after being saved by him for several times. It was a rare case for Saiyans who normally don't develop male-female relationships except for for "breeding purposes".

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:16 am

kei17 wrote:For your information, it also says that she was not cut out for fighting due to being gentle. She used be a member of Bardock's team and "developed some feelings for" Bardock after being saved by him for several times. It was a rare case for Saiyans who normally don't develop male-female relationships except for for "breeding purposes".
Seriously? I always love new tidbits of information! Here I was only thinking we weren't going to get anymore on her besides a name until Jaco's volume release.

Minor question. Is her pun easy to determine; do we know what she is named after already?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Goku's mother...appearing soon?!

Post by Blade » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:26 am

Future Super Saiyan form in Dragonball Heroes?

Calling it already.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 am

Ignore this post, I was incorrect.
Last edited by Patrick on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Minor question. Is her pun easy to determine; do we know what she is named after already?
She's named after spring onion, which is "negi" in Japanese
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:44 am

Ugh, why? This sounds so pointless.

Unless they actually do another Bardock special or something :/

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:46 am

Not going to lie, I thought this thread was an April Fools joke for a second until I realized it's still cold as fuck.

I wonder what kind of response this will get; especially by those who are adamantly against the series needlessly ruining the ambiguity of the story's lore.
Last edited by Insertclevername on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:48 am

Marco Polo wrote:Ugh, why? This sounds so pointless.

We already had a Bardock special that covered the important events surrounding Goku's birth (minus Gine or Raditz being around). I think having her appear in the supplemental Jaco pages is better than anything they could squash in that short, already depicted time frame.
Insertclevername wrote:Not going to lie, I thought this thread was an April Fools joke for a second.
Being February, it's way too early for April Fools... =P

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 am

Both this, and the other topic about the new DBZ movie w/ Vegeta sound really interesting.

I have a theory...since its gonna focus on Vegeta, and Goku's mom might appear, it could be a movie about Vegeta as a kid before Planet Vegeta exploded?

Regardless I'm excited. I'm sorta against a complete full-on new series, but any new movies or specials I'm all for it!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:52 am

Marco Polo wrote:Ugh, why? This sounds so pointless.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I enjoy little tidbits of lore like this, it might not serve a larger purpose but it provides some information which expands the universe as we know it, and at least it puts the Selypa rumour to rest. I wonder if she'll resemble Raditz at all, if it is that Goku and Raditz even share the same mother.

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:53 am

kei17 wrote:For your information, it also says that she was not cut out for fighting due to being gentle. She used be a member of Bardock's team and "developed some feelings for" Bardock after being saved by him for several times. It was a rare case for Saiyans who normally don't develop male-female relationships except for for "breeding purposes".
Wow, I am surprised. Bardock was a real gentleman 8) .

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 am

I don't know if the Bardock TV Special is canon or not but he ignored his son because he was a weakling and that as a father showed he was a dick without any concern for his son. Even Vegeta hugged Trunks before his farewell.

Still, caring about his wife means he wasn't the world's worst father.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:01 am

Adamant wrote:She's named after spring onion, which is "negi" in Japanese
Oh yeah, skipped over this on my last reply. Thanks a lot.

So far the interview is proving to be fairly interesting. Revealing Goku's mom and talking about potential plans for a future film. I wonder if there is anything else worth reading on it, or if the rest are generic questions? Seems like every new Toriyama interview is 90% rehash of previous information from repeated questions, and then 10% window of chance for new material.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Still, caring about his wife means he wasn't the world's worst father.
I took that to mean he was saving her because she was his comrade on the battlefield, and most Saiyans have the brothers in arms thing going on. It only says she developed feelings for Bardock, but not that he did as well...

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:02 am

Always love it when Toriyama drops bombshells like this out of nowhere. 8)

I wonder if she'll appear in a new movie?
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:03 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It only says she developed feelings for Bardock, but not that he did as well...
Woops, it says that they both developed feelings for each other.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 am

So we all thought Goku became a good guy because of the head bump, but it is turning out that both his parents actually had some good in them :think:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 am

But is falling in love "good"? Horrible people can fall in love with other horrible people. All this proves is that they're a little more human than the average Saiyan.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 am

kei17 wrote:Woops, it says that they both developed feelings for each other.
Well then...I stand corrected. That does just make Bardock a huge jackass in regards to Goku (until the whole vision thing started). lol

Also, it says she is too nice for fighting. So she's too nice to be suited for fighting, but that doesn't mean she was born with a low battle power. So. I wonder if that means she's weak too, like Tarble?