Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Liking DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Liking DBZ?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 am

In the start of my freshman year at high school we had an assembly about something ( IDK I forgot what it was about lol) and the guy who was doing most of the talking could actually sing a little so after showing off his vocal skills a bit he asked if any of us could sing. So low and behold he picks me out of the hundreds of other kids and when he asks me my name, I said it was Goku and struck a Kamehameha pose and proceed to sing Alive and Kicking by Nonpoint lol. Afterwards I had people calling me Goku for like the following two months.

Also when I graduated I Krump danced on stage and ended it with a really dramatic Kamehameha, the entire hall/auditorium went into a frenzy, you woulda thought I was some big music star or something lol.

So no, I've never been shy or ashamed of my love for Dragon Ball.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:09 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Please, spare me your psychoanalysis.

While I'm sure you're able to glean a great deal of information about who I am as a person from the scant three posts I've made in this thread, I'll stop you right there. I have no doubt that your advice was well intended, however that doesn't negate the fact that it reads like some poorly regurgitated rhetoric you heard from a high school counsellor. You know absolutely nothing about me, which makes your attempted insight into my personality insulting, and more than a little pathetic.

Hiding my Dragonball collection isn't some Freudian indicator of a lack of self-confidence, it's simply that it doesn't define me, so I don't feel the need to advertise it.

And at this point I could jump in with some personal details about who I am as a person, and what I do in my day to day, but y'know what? I don't need to, because I'm a confident person :roll:.
That's great. Truly. But I wasn't saying that you in particular have abnormal confidence in every aspect of your life and I never assumed anything like that at all.

The phrase you quoted from me is just me saying that if a person intentionally hides one harmless entertainment interest, then that person is not very comfortable and confident in letting other people find out that interest. I never talked about other aspects of life at all, nor was that my intention. What I was talking about was that particular aspect and I never strayed from that aspect in my posts. If the general tone of the phrase you quoted from me lead you to think that I was implying stuff about every aspect of one's life, I'm sorry for unintentionally misleading you with the tone, but that wasn't my intention.

My comments were directed to a person's confidence in not hiding his harmless non-mainstream and geeky entertainment from other people, and I stated what I think should be the rule in that aspect because its the option that has more merits to everyone, in my opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine, if you agree, that's fine too.

Either way, I just discussing the matter and sharing my opinion on the matter. I wasn't criticizing you or assuming stuff at all like you are implying. So spare me the defensive posture. I wasn't attacking you at all.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:21 am

I'm more than willing to dismiss this as a misunderstanding and let bygones be bygones, however next time you're speaking generally, perhaps refrain from using the pronoun you.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 am

I'm sorry, but its usual to use "you" even when we are referring to any single person, especially in a interrogative tone. I did nothing actually wrong at all in that regard. You just assumed I was attacking you or whatever and apparently became slightly offended by it. Once again, I'm sorry, but I did nothing wrong to warrant such a reaction. I'm not even sure if I could safely write my opinion on the matter while commenting your posts without running the risk of you interpreting it as me attacking you or that I was assuming stuff about you, so...

EDIT: In review, I honestly could have phrased it a little better since you were talking about the difference about being confident in general and being confident in displaying the hobby. My response can be easily be interpreted as me disagreeing with you, when I actually wasn't, I was just trying to say that someone can't be confident regarding their interests if they hide it. So, in that aspect, I do agree that my phrase could have been clearer in making you realize that I wasn't disagreeing with what you meant. I did nothing actually wrong but I could have been clearer.

In conclusion, in my opinion, being confident enough to actually not hide you harmless non-mainstream entertainment hobbies is a good thing and is the option with most advantages to everyone. If you agree, fine, if you don't, that's fine too. Its just my opinion. And generally, that's also true to a bunch of other stuff, especially in a relationship. Once again, if you agree, fine, if you don't, that's fine too.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 pm

As a little girl, I used to be ashamed of watching Dragonball Z because my brothers liked it and they though it would be strange for a female to like it, but now we are older and we watch it together.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:51 pm

I was never ashamed but I'm generally not exactly proud of liking it either.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Dumb popular girls would laugh at me for wearing DBZ shirts back in like 4th and 5th grade... They would hear the Saturday Morning kids cartoon vibe when they would see it on TV. They thought it was uncool to where cartoon shirts. I didn't where those shirts to school anymore lol. Stupid girls didn't know crap. I also played pokemon religiously up until mid 6th grade and kept that hidden more or less as well. These days I openly do that stuff and nobody cares. It's great lol.

Kids just try to act grown up because they want to be seen as cool by others. The C.S. Lewis quote that was a posted a while back explains the situation perfectly.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:13 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Most know my answer already, so I won't go into that. But what about you? Ever feel ashamed for liking DBZ?
Please stop exerting such self-loathing over your interests. You are not a bad person for liking Dragon Ball. I'm honestly beginning to feel bad.

dodge2461
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodge2461 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:17 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:In the start of my freshman year at high school we had an assembly about something ( IDK I forgot what it was about lol) and the guy who was doing most of the talking could actually sing a little so after showing off his vocal skills a bit he asked if any of us could sing. So low and behold he picks me out of the hundreds of other kids and when he asks me my name, I said it was Goku and struck a Kamehameha pose and proceed to sing Alive and Kicking by Nonpoint lol. Afterwards I had people calling me Goku for like the following two months.

Also when I graduated I Krump danced on stage and ended it with a really dramatic Kamehameha, the entire hall/auditorium went into a frenzy, you woulda thought I was some big music star or something lol.

So no, I've never been shy or ashamed of my love for Dragon Ball.
So that's where your username comes from :lol:

Anyway, maybe at the beginning, when I first got into it, but now? Absolutely not.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:but that isn't how adults do things, we lie to one another until it's too late to back out and then start letting the truth out in small discrete portions.
I actually laughed out loud at this until I realized there probably wasn't even a hint of irony in this statement. Then it just made me really sad for humanity in general because I think you're right. But it just blows my mind that not only do a large number of people do this, not only are people aware they do this to other people, but then they label it the "adult" thing to do.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I was never ashamed but I'm generally not exactly proud of liking it either.
Yeah, I'd still be embarrassed to tell people my age I still watch it. I'm not also proud of the fanbase.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:07 pm

I try to keep my anime love in general secret from family and the like because they just see cartoons. They don't get that it's mature. Well...not DBZ so much but you get my point.

I consider DBZ a guilty pleasure though. It's something I will re-watch semi-frequently but I'd never go so far as to consider it one of my favorite anime. It's simply...well, not that well-written compared to my other fave series like Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) and so-on.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Not since graduating high school. Not even a little.

Well, sometimes a little in college. But not at all since graduating. The older you get,the more you realize everyone has their quirks. Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 pm

I've always an outspoken and obvious fan of Dragon Ball. I went to a pretty diverse middle school and high school, student-wise. Naturally, there were plenty of people who criticized me for liking anime, but there were plenty who were into the same nerdy stuff I am, so it all evened out. I never pretended to be someone I wasn't, and I think I touched a few peoples' lives who respected that aspect of me.

Nowadays, as an adult, if I'm doodling DBZ on my papers or wearing a DBZ shirt, I'll occasionally get a passer-by who notices and says "Nice shirt, man! I used to watch that show!"
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 pm

I've never been ashamed of liking DB I won't ever allow myself to be. A few years back I was scarred to listen to Vocaloid music unless nobody was home or I was in a corner with headphones because it always came with a huge barrage of teasing from my family if I even mentioned it. I let them get to me and as a result it took away the fun, now I openly listen to Vocaloid music, have Vocaloid pictures as my wallpapers talk about it on Twitter etc without giving a single f..k what my family thinks.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 pm

I'm not ashamed of liking Dragon Ball Z because I love chatting amongst my friends on facebook and twitter about the series. It's the fighting action and the story in Dragon Ball Z is the reason why I will never be ashamed of it.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:but that isn't how adults do things, we lie to one another until it's too late to back out and then start letting the truth out in small discrete portions.
I actually laughed out loud at this until I realized there probably wasn't even a hint of irony in this statement. Then it just made me really sad for humanity in general because I think you're right. But it just blows my mind that not only do a large number of people do this, not only are people aware they do this to other people, but then they label it the "adult" thing to do.
Grown ass fallible human beings are no less fallible human beings, including making all kinds of bad decisions (some of which we don't even catch as bad) acceptable. Be it to save face, even in places where addressing a problem is the much more advantageous thing to do, whatever. Not really a platitude to say it, I think everyone on this forum is old enough to see it in themselves wherever it pops up.

On topic, no. Me liking Dragon Ball isn't an upfront thing, nor is it a disruptive one (Closest thing to it is probably my being on this forum!), and I'd agree it's a childhood thing I haven't shaken and totally acknowledge the personal weakness in that. Not the only reason I still enjoy it, but it's plain why the concept is silly!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:42 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Grown ass fallible human beings are no less fallible human beings, including making all kinds of bad decisions (some of which we don't even catch as bad) acceptable. Be it to save face, even in places where addressing a problem is the much more advantageous thing to do, whatever. Not really a platitude to say it, I think everyone on this forum is old enough to see it in themselves wherever it pops up.
Maybe I'm misreading you, but I think you're missing my point. I see nothing wrong in recognizing and admitting our foibles. But that's not what I read in that statement. It was being aware of a fault, praising that fault, and labeling that fault as the mature thing to do.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Grown ass fallible human beings are no less fallible human beings, including making all kinds of bad decisions (some of which we don't even catch as bad) acceptable. Be it to save face, even in places where addressing a problem is the much more advantageous thing to do, whatever. Not really a platitude to say it, I think everyone on this forum is old enough to see it in themselves wherever it pops up.
Maybe I'm misreading you, but I think you're missing my point. I see nothing wrong in recognizing and admitting our foibles. But that's not what I read in that statement. It was being aware of a fault, praising that fault, and labeling that fault as the mature thing to do.
I read that statement exactly the same way. I was trying to add to your statement with one example of why that's an uncomfortable thing to admit, that being when our socially-constructed sense of face tells us to hide personal problems that much better revealed so they can begin to be resolved.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Ah, okay. Well, in that case, I definitely misread you. :P :silent: