Out of Character Moments in the series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Out of Character Moments in the series

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 pm

I know this has been debated a few times, but how do you guys feel about characters being out of characters. Such as:

* Goku giving Cell a Senzu Bean.
* Vegeta in one Broly movie moping around and Piccolo snapping him out of it.
* I know this is filler, but when Goku angrily refused food from Annin ("I'm not hungry!!!") because he was trying to save Chi-Chi's castle. Also, he was being rude to Grandpa Gohan.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Out of Character Moments in the series

Post by penguintruth » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 pm

I swear to Kaioshin, the first person to retread "Gohan during the Cell Games" is going to get a living room full of napalm. :evil:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 pm

I don't think Vegeta was out of character in Movie 8, it's not to different from his meltdown against Freeza or his "I'LL NEVER FIGHT AGAIN" meltdown against Cell.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:51 am

Goku posing a threat to Kaioshin-sama for trying to stop Goku fight Majin Vegeta.

I know "action speak louder than word", but for Goku to threaten a being superior to him is so unGoku.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 am

I like how characters occasionally not acting like static automatons and exhibiting human characteristics is "out of character."

Seriously, people don't always respond to the same situations in the same way every time. People are not machines. Circumstances determine people's actions just as much as personality and precedence do.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 am

Vijay wrote:Goku posing a threat to Kaioshin-sama for trying to stop Goku fight Majin Vegeta.

I know "action speak louder than word", but for Goku to threaten a being superior to him is so unGoku.
Really? It's not as though he was ever that respectful of them to begin with.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Vijay wrote:Goku posing a threat to Kaioshin-sama for trying to stop Goku fight Majin Vegeta.

He's always been casual to Gods, but not reaching the point he threatens them with Ki-beam aimed at their faces.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I like how characters occasionally not acting like static automatons and exhibiting human characteristics is "out of character."

Seriously, people don't always respond to the same situations in the same way every time. People are not machines. Circumstances determine people's actions just as much as personality and precedence do.
I wholeheartedly agree.
penguintruth wrote:I swear to Kaioshin, the first person to retread "Gohan during the Cell Games" is going to get a living room full of napalm. :evil:
Sorry, I don't fear your wrath, Gohan spends so much time being eager to help, and then he's "I don't like fighting, this is pointless." that feels like a step back for his character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:07 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I like how characters occasionally not acting like static automatons and exhibiting human characteristics is "out of character."

That's what it's called. Plus, I do think that Characters acting that way adds depth in their characters, and I don't mind them.
ABED wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I swear to Kaioshin, the first person to retread "Gohan during the Cell Games" is going to get a living room full of napalm. :evil:
Sorry, I don't fear your wrath, Gohan spends so much time being eager to help, and then he's "I don't like fighting, this is pointless." that feels like a step back for his character.
To be fair to Gohan, he only wanted to fight because he needed to. I do think he was eager to fight for the goodness of his heart and to protect others, not for the thrills that Saiyans seek when fighting. You did make a point though.
Last edited by MediaFanGirl93 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 am

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:

That's what it's called. Plus, I do think that Characters acting that way adds depth in their characters, and I don't mind them.
ABED wrote:
To be fair to Gohan, Gohan only wanted to fight because he needed to. I do think he was eager to fight for the goodness of his heart and to protect others, not for the thrills that Saiyans seek when fighting. You did make a point though.
I acknowledge that Gohan's desire to fight is less about the competition, and more about protecting his loved ones, but I don't see how that doesn't apply to Cell, especially in light of his reaction to other moments. For instance, he seemed gung ho about helping fight the Cyborgs when plans were being made even though Bulma's plan to use the Dragon Balls to stop Gero was the only reasonable one.

Actually, I need to add a caveat to the first post, circumstances don't determine people's behavior. How people react is a matter of their ideas, and if they have inconsistent ideas, different circumstances will bring different actions. So, even inconsistency is coming from a consistent place, I guess you could say.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 am

Gohan at the Cell Games. Completely irrational OOC behavior.
Why? They're not wrong.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am

Plenty of people have provided countless, detailed, rational, polite responses as to why they believe you are wrong. You need to understand that your opinion is not the sole opinion and analysis of the series. So far, you seem to be unable to realize this, and naturally, other members are getting incredibly frustrated with you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am

ABED wrote:I acknowledge that Gohan's desire to fight is less about the competition, and more about protecting his loved ones, but I don't see how that doesn't apply to Cell, especially in light of his reaction to other moments. For instance, he seemed gung ho about helping fight the Cyborgs when plans were being made even though Bulma's plan to use the Dragon Balls to stop Gero was the only reasonable one.

Actually, I need to add a caveat to the first post, circumstances don't determine people's behavior. How people react is a matter of their ideas, and if they have inconsistent ideas, different circumstances will bring different actions. So, even inconsistency is coming from a consistent place, I guess you could say.
Okay, I'll admit that that was a legit OOC moment, but for the whole plan with the Cyborgs, I do think that's because Gohan's not the type to argue with others, which may be why he just rolled with what the Z Fighters did.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:41 am

Honestly I could see Goku's POV that since the guy hadn't done anything bad yet there was no reason to go and kill him. I mean, that seemed pretty in character at least for a reasoning coming from Goku and Gohan (obviously discounting that the main reason why Goku didn't want to kill him was that he wanted to fight the androids later). And I also agree that Gohan isn't the type to argue with others whether he agrees or not.

I don't think Goku threatening Kaioshin was out of character in that moment, because he was enraged and it served to get the point across that he really REALLY wanted to fight in that moment. He even apologizes for it IIRC.

Goku giving Cell a senzu bean is his typical behavior, he gave one to Piccolo after all. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, especially considering that he never thought about the fact that Gohan doesn't think like he does about fighting, but it was still in character imo.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 am

garnetjester wrote:Honestly I could see Goku's POV that since the guy hadn't done anything bad yet there was no reason to go and kill him. I mean, that seemed pretty in character at least for a reasoning coming from Goku and Gohan (obviously discounting that the main reason why Goku didn't want to kill him was that he wanted to fight the androids later). And I also agree that Gohan isn't the type to argue with others whether he agrees or not.

I don't think Goku threatening Kaioshin was out of character in that moment, because he was enraged and it served to get the point across that he really REALLY wanted to fight in that moment. He even apologizes for it IIRC.

Goku giving Cell a senzu bean is his typical behavior, he gave one to Piccolo after all. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, especially considering that he never thought about the fact that Gohan doesn't think like he does about fighting, but it was still in character imo.
Okay, don't kill the guy, but you can still find out where he is and stop him.

It's one thing for Gohan to not argue the point, but he seems very on board with the plan.

I always thought giving the senzu to Cell was simply making a point - that Gohan is so much stronger that even a full powered Cell wouldn't make a difference. He was right.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:56 am

Yeah, Goku was right about Gohan being stronger than perfect Cell, but like Piccolo said, he didn't take into account that Gohan isn't a fight maniac like him.

I love how in the fight against Cell, everything that could go wrong did, it was very dramatic.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:34 am

VegettoEX wrote:Plenty of people have provided countless, detailed, rational, polite responses as to why they believe you are wrong.
And then they proceeded to get responses from other users that completely destroyed their arguments.

Until I see a post that makes me go "Oh hey, this guy is right. No one could possibly refute this." about Gohan not being OOC, I will stand by what I say.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:36 am

Vijay wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:

He's always been casual to Gods, but not reaching the point he threatens them with Ki-beam aimed at their faces.
And yet he threw a ki-blast right into the Old Kaiōshin's face.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Until I see a post that makes me go "Oh hey, this guy is right. No one could possibly refute this." about Gohan not being OOC, I will stand by what I say.
Nobody has a problem with your opinion; the problem is you come in and say your opinion as fact, provide zero insight, facts, or back-up to what you said. Seriously:
thatdbzguy wrote:
Why? They're not wrong.
How is anyone supposed to respond to this without going over the same things already said in at least five other threads?

... Anyway, I'm at a loss for scenes where a character is so flagrantly out-of-character it can't be ignored or disputed. Such a thing has never happened in Toriyama's manga. Yes, everyone's an idiot in the Cell arc. Because they're idiots.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:* Goku giving Cell a Senzu Bean.
I'd say that's perfectly in line with Goku's character. Goku likes to fight opponents when they're a their fullest, surely his son would too, right? He's his son after all. Goku's not the most rational individual. He doesn't seem to be the kind of person to understand through his own critical reasoning skills that not everyone gets off on fighting a life or death battle for the fate of the universe. Let alone his own child who should be just like him, right?