Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Comic Natalie has a write-up, as well. Might any new bits of information be contained within?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:15 pm

It covers the song, the origin of the movie's name, mentions its release date,
and moves on to the comment from Toriyama that we've already seen.

The only new bit is what Kanzenshuu covered, the song will be in the movie.
They refer to it as a “バトルソング” battle song.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Metal give me a headache these days. If they're literally just inserting the original version of the song, I think my ears are going to lead to me disliking that portion of the film.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Luckily I'm not stuck in the past just yet.

I love campiness, so I'm looking forward to hearing this obnoxious song blare
as we watch one of the most anticipated fights in the series.

Fortunately, the song doesn't take itself seriously, or I'd be cringing
like I was back in the Funimation Drowning Pool days.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:31 pm

FindKenshi wrote:Wat? Episode of Bardock "doesn't count?" That's so disappointing! I'm going to consider it fanon anyway.
Ooishi herself said that it's a what-if story.
Naho Ooishi wrote:I recorded “A Lonely, Final Battle” on video, and as I watched it over and over as a kid, I would be brought to tears at its regret, and at Freeza’s fearsomeness. So I was just absurdly happy and fired-up to be able to draw a Bardock what-if story! I want Bardock to keep playing a big role in video and card games from here on out!
Plus, EoB is a what-if sequel of the TV Special, so even if it wasn't a what-if, it gets contradicted by Toriyama's statement about Bardock's battle power & his recent Dragon Ball Minus.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I wouldn't have minded if 「F」were a rock song. I'm not stuck in the notion that DB can only have certain types of music (though some types fit it better than others), my ears just can't handle the metal screaming and shrieking anymore. Not all of the song is like that though, so it kinda depends on what part they use, if they don't just remix it entirely for the film or something.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 pm

The only thing Minus contradicts is that Bardock had special powers and fought Dodoria. He still apparently resisted until the end when Freeza attacked, though. So at least that scene can still stand. And EoB with it.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I hope they go with the 「F」 instrumental; it sounds infinitely better without the painful, mindless screaming. As the guitar itself isnt that bad.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:49 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:EoB was based off of Ooishi's spinoff manga with no input from Toriyama outside of Chilled's design.
We don't know the extent of Toriyama's involvement on EoB, but we do know he designed not only Chilled but the Plantians as well.
FindKenshi wrote:Wat? Episode of Bardock "doesn't count?" That's so disappointing! I'm going to consider it fanon anyway.
Technically, everything that doesn't come from Toriyama (specially story wise) is fanon. Some of it is just licensed. We don't know if it counts though. What we know is that it was conceived as a "what-if" continuation of the TV special.
FindKenshi wrote:The only thing Minus contradicts is that Bardock had special powers and fought Dodoria.
Minus doesn't contradict that, but it does contradict many other things from the TV special.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:51 pm

FindKenshi wrote:The only thing Minus contradicts is that Bardock had special powers and fought Dodoria. He still apparently resisted until the end when Freeza attacked, though. So at least that scene can still stand. And EoB with it.
There are more contradictions than that. For example: Goku being ~3 when sent off instead of a baby? Planet Vegeta being destroyed in AGE 739 instead of 737? Bardock and Gine being part of a 4 man squad in the past, and Bardock only having one partner in the present? Bardock's DB- power not being anywhere close to 10,000? Etc.

Episode of Bardock doesn't have many ties to the TV Special just reading it, but there are a few and it is outright stated to be a continuation of that story. Can you do whatever you like with it as a fan? Sure, but officially? They don't mesh.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:55 pm

FindKenshi wrote:The only thing Minus contradicts is that Bardock had special powers and fought Dodoria. He still apparently resisted until the end when Freeza attacked, though. So at least that scene can still stand. And EoB with it.
DB- takes place 3 years after the TV Special. Bardock's team apparently doesn't exist in Minus, yet they were shown in flashbacks in EoB. Toriyama also says that Bardock is a low-class warrior, and heavily implied that his battle power wasn't high enough for him to get promoted, while the TV Special shows Bardock to have a battle power at nearly 10.000 (he is still a low-class, but the idea about promotions wasn't introduced at that point, so it seems that Toei assumed that a low-class always remains a low-class, no matter how strong he is), and in EoB, he gets strong enough to become a Super Saiyan.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:00 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:DB- takes place 3 years after the TV Special.
No, it doesn't. But most of the events shown (e.g: Goku being sent to Earth) directly contradict the TV special.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:DB- takes place 3 years after the TV Special.
No, it doesn't. But most of the events shown (e.g: Goku being sent to Earth) directly contradict the TV special.
He's talking about when they occur on the timeline, not that one happens after the other. DB- is in AGE 739 and the TV Special is in AGE 737.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:04 pm

FindKenshi's Fantheories on how Freeza became so strong
  • Enma Daio denied him reincarnation as punishment. As a result, a Makaioshin adapts Freeza in Hell, and trains him.
    ---
    Beerus grants Freeza God-Ki in order to further Goku's training.
    ---
    The Green Fluid is the evil of all the past villains pouring into Freeza, to turn him into the God of Evil.
    ---
    Freeza watched every battle in Hell and trained to keep up with Goku all along!
    ---
    Freeza was reincarnated in another universe as that universe's God of Destruction, and wish summons him back.
    ---
    No explanation in the movie will be given! He'll just be strong
What do you guys think of my fantheories? Which one is your favorite?
Last edited by FindKenshi on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution!" -Evil Lord Freeza
The best and most powerful villain in Dragon Ball

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Reincarnation as a god of destruction in another universe is interesting.

But personally, I like the idea of seeing Freeza do a Rocky Balboa-style montage of training for his revenge (with a borderline rip off of Eye of the Tiger playing...or Hell, license the song, it'd be amazing).

Also, F being in the movie is the greatest thing, I am so pleased by this.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I hope they go with the 「F」 instrumental; it sounds infinitely better without the painful, mindless screaming. As the guitar itself isnt that bad.
I didn't think their was that much mindless screaming in the song.

How can you not like "Phowa! Phowa! Phowa!"? :lol:

Speaking of which, I really hope they don't redo the song for this film or have to record an 'Engrish' for the international versions. I imagine when I hear this song playing in the theatre, the audience's reaction will be absolutely hysterical.

Makes me wonder what we'll get for the ending song and who will be performing it.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Makes me wonder what we'll get for the ending song and who will be performing it.
I heard that Toriyama was recently spotted at a Linkin Park concert.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Not sure what to make of the song being in the movie myself. It makes sense given that it inspired the movie, and it is a pretty cool song...but it doesn't really fit Dragon Ball very well. Heck, for all the complaints against them, all the dub scores from the older movies fit the franchise better really. Ah well - they can't all be 'Hero' caliber I guess. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Re: "F", the song

I probably haven't listened to this since it first came out.
Got an instrumental playing now, will jump to on vocal after.

Initial thoughts: Wow, I remember Death Note. Conjures up mental images of the Death Note anime instantly. I'm digging this instrumental. It's definitely something you need to be in the mood for though, imo. This definitely fits the "zetsubou" theme. Long song too (anything past the radio 3 minute mark is long to me). This is almost 5 minutes long; if they use the whole thing that'd be a dense battle this plays over. How are the characters going to talk over this?

*Starts up the on vocal one*.

Wow, how are the characters going to talk over this? XD
So Death Note opening song. Ryuk, apples, minimalist yet high-contrast colors.
Freeza Freeza Freeza Freeeeeeza.

Liking the guitar riff thing inbetween lyrics 2 & 3.
I hope this has mood lighting going on when it plays. I feel like it kinda needs some desperate/despair type mood lightining during it or else it'll be too out of place.

Song over.

I wonder if Funi will be able to keep the song in their release? I imagine this song would be difficult to dub well without skilled singers. If they just keep the song in Japanese in both the sub and dub, I'd be fine with that. I wonder what the YouTube/Twitter crowd will think of this song? Death Note was popular, and they kept Maximum the Hormone's songs so it's not like people aren't familiar with them (or at least the style of song).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Heck, for all the complaints against them, all the dub scores from the older movies fit the franchise better really.
How long has it been since you watched them? Try the first Coola movie. I couldn't make it to the end.