Happy 15th Anniversary to UK Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Happy 15th Anniversary to UK Dragon Ball

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 pm

March 6th 2000 was the day the 'Saiyan saga' first began in the UK. It aired in one hour blocks before swapping to a 5pm timeslot.

I'm always surprised by how late we got the series but I thought this might be a nice place for UK fans to talk about their time with the Cartoon Network broadcasts. I have very fond memories of getting home from school at 3:30pm and putting off homework until the last minute before the show began. The all-day marathons were great, too. Watching the entire Saiyan arc in a day was eye-strainingly awesome!

I'm not sure if anyone remembers the short-lived CNX. It was eventually replaced by Toonami:

Do any of you distinctly remember all the cast changes? I was always so confused as to why Goku and Kuririn sounded so different between arcs. You'd be watching the Cell Games as it aired and then you'd get hit with a repeat from another arc during the day and everything would sound so strange.

Do any UK members have any similar memories to share?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Happy 15th Anniversary to UK Dragon Ball

Post by NitroEX » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Despite all the random dub changes I wouldn't trade my UK viewing experience for any other, was a truly fun ride while it lasted. It's a shame it isn't properly available on home video but at least the fans of the time were smart enough to record it all and for that I'm incredibly thankful. If I had to make a toast it would be to all those guys, their stacks of VHS tapes and their persistence. You did us proud :thumbup:

Oh and you can't talk about the UK broadcasts without mentioning the epic promos we got. This one stuck with me for years until I finally found it again on Youtube. The Imperfect Cell promo also deserves a mention for being so weird and disturbing for a kids show, shame I can't seem to find it though.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Holy shit, has it really been 15 years!? :shock:

Where did the time go? :crazy:

I still remember the days where I would rush home from school and watch the DBZ marathons of the Namek, Freeza and Android saga on good old Toonami. :)

It was fun to be young. :P Then you had to grow up. :(

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm

NitroEX wrote:This one stuck with me for years until I finally found it again on Youtube.
Oh man, that is a blast from the past. What an incredible promo! I'd love to see someone repurpose Fukkatsu no F footage to recreate it for the new film.

Deadtuber.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:55 am

It's really been 15 years. :)

The franchise has certainly had quite a complicated history on UK TV. Basically it went as follows:

-Saban Ocean dub for episodes 1-53
-Funimation inhouse dub for episodes 54-107 (and for the Fusion saga during its first few runs on CNX)
-Westwood Ocean dub for the rest of Z
-Blue Water dub for GT and the original Dragonball
-Big Green dub for the Movies and Specials
-Funimation dub for Kai

I remember watching bits and pieces of the Saiyan and Namek sagas on Cartoon Network UK and liking what I saw. Then when the fight with Frieza aired I distinctly remember seeing Vegeta's death scene and getting completely hooked on the series. Goku vs Frieza still remains my favourite fight of the series to this day. I remember not being able to wait to get home from school to see if Goku would complete the Spirit Bomb, and then seeing the preview for Transformed at Last and getting even more hyped. I then continued watching until the episode were Trunks warns Goku about the Androids only for it to go back to Raditz. They would repeat the Saiyan-Trunks sagas for what felt like the longest time until the Android saga finally aired in early 2001.

I have really happy memories of watching daylong marathons of the Saiyan and Frieza sagas many times. For some reason whenever they restarted the series they would air the first couple of episodes during school time, so I would always miss the Arrival of Raditz and would come home when Goku and Piccolo were already fighting him, or sometimes after the fight was already over.

When the Android saga finally did air, although I didn't like the switch to Westwood dub I was happy to finally see new episodes. It continued on Cartoon Network UK until the end of the Fat Buu saga. Then after a long wait, in October 2002 CNX started and we got the rest of Z. I remember them showing promos for GT before we'd even finished the Kid Buu fight, and then GT immediately airing on a Monday after Z ended on the previous Friday. Outside of Kid Goku, Trunks and Pan, and a few villains, I really didn't like the Blue Water dub of GT.

Eventually CNX turned into Toonami and then we got the original Dragonball around September 2003. I actually found the Blue Water dub of DB to be much better than their GT dub. The entire series aired in just over a year but was only shown in full a couple of times unfortunately.

2005 was truly the beginning of the end for Toonami UK. DB and GT got taken off, and for some strange reason they would only air the first half of the Imperfect Cell saga for Z and then start that saga again over and over again. I remember during the May half term when the Big Green movies aired and they promised to show the greatest episodes of Z along with them, only for them to air half of the Imperfect Cell saga and then restart it(again). In the end it almost felt like they were trying to kill the show off, as crazy as that sounds.

But on the whole DBZ still made my childhood a great one that I still look back on fondly.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 am

I think CNX introduced me into Dragon Ball GT (Blue Water Dub) back in Summer 2003. I do remember seeing Ocean Dub version of Dragon Ball Z on there too and opportunity to watch the rest of Majin Boo Saga up to the Kid Boo Saga. Happy 15th anniversary to DB in UK :D

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:44 am

Man, I feel old now! :shock:

But yeah, many happy memories of getting home from school and putting on Cartoon Network to watch Dragonball Z endlessly cycle through the Saiyan and Freeza arcs, usually followed by (Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo) making it feel like all of my Christmasses came at once when the Android arc, even with the Westwood dub, finally hit.

I remember chewing my cheeks through the cringe-worthy 'Skatoony' competitions that used to air before the Cell saga episodes, and how when 'CNX' launched and Dragonball Z moved over during the 'Fusion Saga', we mysteriously got the Funimation dub back for a little while, before unceremoniously switching back. Or the online buzz in UK Dragonball circles caused when low key promotion for Dragonball GT started during the final week of Dragonball Z episodes, before turning to initially violent hatred for the mysterious Blue Water dub. Of course, I used to love the marathons that they used to air during half-term school holidays, and even though I was a little bit older at this point, I used to die inside every time they aired 'Big Green' dub Movie on Friday nights after the catastrophic Toonami relaunch, which slapped in a load of crappy 1990's kid American comedy live action shows.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Found a couple more screenshots from the UK broadcast that I thought were cool. I have such a thing for seeing the old Sky programming guide pop-up.

There's one VHS rip I have that includes an entire few minutes of adverts from back then. Very strange to watch nowadays.

Deadtuber.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Was this really the intro for the Westwood dub? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZpWP2He_w

What did you guys think of it at the time and how did you like it compared to Rock the Dragon (which I'm assuming you saw during the Ocean episodes 1-53 and Funimation episodes 54-107)? It kind of copied the "lyrics" and animation from Rock the Dragon though didn't it lol

When the episodes switched back to the Funimation dub, did they retain the Westwood dub intro or did they switch to one of the Funimation intros?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Yup! That intro was amazing(ly awful).

At the time, I loved it. I loved Rock the Dragon, too. I didn't know what the original series was nor did I know that the music had been replaced. It was just a really catchy theme tune that even my Mum remembers to this day.

I have no recollection of the FUNi intros so I'm pretty sure they kept with what we were used to. I may be wrong but I'm so sure I'd remember something like that. The show was still just as much my baby then as it is now (albeit now I exclusively watch in Japanese).

Deadtuber.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:43 pm

I knew I remembered seeing it on youtube somewhere.

Here's a compilation of UK DBZ ads from that era including the Cell one mentioned earlier (only slightly out of sync).

I find it amusing in hindsight that the actor mentions "death" and "another dimension" in the same sentence. Watching it now I wonder if that was a deliberate inside joke.
thaman91 wrote:Was this really the intro for the Westwood dub? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZpWP2He_w
What did you guys think of it at the time and how did you like it compared to Rock the Dragon
Yes it was. The intro was cheesy but I never used to hate it growing up. My dad used to find it funny and would occasionally sing along with it in a joking manner. The "rock the dragon" intro is of course the more iconic and preferred one but there's a still a charm to the westwood one.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Ahh yeah the All Day Marathons were great! And I totally remember CNX! What happened was we switched cable companies or something and we no longer had Cartoon Network for free, I asked my father and he said we have to pay for it now, and he said he wouldn't because I would be watching DBZ all say :lol: This was after the Cell Arc finished, and months later I was bored flicking through channels and found CNX, airing DBZ, I believe it was the bit where Buu turned Vegetto into candy that was like the second happiest day of the life! (first being watching ep 1 of DBZ of course!) I believe CNX also aired GT too I didn't like it at all and never bothered with it lol

I didn't notice any voice changes at all, guess it was the excitement of watching DBZ I guess, hell I didn't realize there were two dubs until like a few years ago!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:15 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Yup! That intro was amazing(ly awful).

At the time, I loved it. I loved Rock the Dragon, too. I didn't know what the original series was nor did I know that the music had been replaced. It was just a really catchy theme tune that even my Mum remembers to this day.

I have no recollection of the FUNi intros so I'm pretty sure they kept with what we were used to. I may be wrong but I'm so sure I'd remember something like that. The show was still just as much my baby then as it is now (albeit now I exclusively watch in Japanese).
My Mum remembers the Westwood intro funnily enough. :)

Faulconer's intro was always used for the Garlic Jr and Trunks episodes btw. This one was definitely used, as the Westwood intro didn't exist at the time those episodes first aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-bZojyxIE

When the Funi Fusion saga first aired they would occasionally use Faulconer's Buu saga intro too, although for the most part they used the Westwood intro even for the Funi version. I also remember them using the Westwood intro for the Saban episodes during later runs, and even using Rock the Dragon for the Westwood episodes.

Another interesting thing is how we got a different intro/ending for Blue Water DB to Canada despite it being the same dub. They would sometimes use the Canadian intro at random, and sometimes even have both intros one after the other.

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:34 pm

I can't believe it's been 15 years. As a kid, I didn't even realise that the dub changed haha. I remember rushing to the TV to watch DBZ after school, I think this thread has just re-ignited my love for DBZ :lol:
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 am

I can't believe it's been 15 years, I posted about it on reddit last week too. I'm still as big a fan now as I was back when I first started watching it, and that's amazing to me when all of my friends who did have an interest in it seemed to drop it at some stage and go off with the rest of the sheep with whatever was cool at that time. I'm quite proud of myself in a way for sticking with my favourite series, because I did used to get stick from it off people and I've seen that through and I still love the series as much as ever.

I was telling people in my family to get me a card and cake to celebrate my 15th Anniversary with Dragon Ball, they didn't. I was disappointed.

I like the screenshots from the UK footage. If there's any others it'd be cool to see.

Edit: Here are a couple more UK DBZ ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWS-GDVVK0I

and here's one from CNX for the final saga... the feels when this came on and I had to accept this was the end game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajeOaWb2qs

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 am

That intro just screams "80s saturday morning cartoon"
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 am

BlackCatScott wrote: Edit: Here are a couple more UK DBZ ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWS-GDVVK0I

and here's one from CNX for the final saga... the feels when this came on and I had to accept this was the end game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajeOaWb2qs
I remember those. :) That first one you posted, they also had similar ones for DB and GT which can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQwIxQ3jrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Srt4086xoQ

And here's one I remember very fondly which was for the Funi Fusion saga when CNX launched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4b6jG-pmY

And here another really cool one for DB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdsaJURm4U

And I'm not sure if anyone else remember Toonami Hero Files, but go to 9:41 here for Goku.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgRCxk5iW4

And 6:21 here for Gohan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_IsgTbg1s

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Holy crap! Just for this occasion I have uploaded a few adverts that have been lying around on my hard drive:

Earliest Dragon Ball GT promo when it first aired on CNX:
http://youtu.be/Tx03AOZgXIE

Android Saga promo from back in 2001:
http://youtu.be/cC-SceUX2SE

I was only 7 when I first got into the series, I can remember how it changed from Cartoon Network to CNX in 2002. We didn't have a subscription to CNX, and they began airing the Fusion Saga, and the adverts would come on Cartoon Network teasing Gotenks firing 'Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack'. I had no Idea what the hell it was, but the advert teasing it just gave it such a air of mystery as a child my imagination went haywire!

The adverts that aired when they transitioned from Cartoon Network to CNX were like this:

Line-up of what is airing on Cartoon Nework, CNX and Boomerang (2002):
http://youtu.be/-Es5Y8nk9zI

I was far too young to notice the difference in dub cast, I loved the show for the characters and they always sounded amazing to me. My earliest memories of Dragon Ball Z are waking up on Saturday mornings watching the Android Saga/Cell Saga absolutely terrified that imperfect Cell was going to absorb me. Haha! With my Game Boy color in hand i'd sit through the whole Toonami block even though I didn't understand Gundam Wing back then or Tenchi Muyo. It was totally out of respect for Tom that I'd watch the whole block. Such fond memories, it truly feels like yesterday. :')

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:46 pm

:clap: Brilliant stuff DBZimran, it's great to see all these old ads again.

I don't suppose you have anymore? I've been trying to find the original version of this for a while (the uploader replaced the music and sound). It was originally accompanied by this song and a bunch of stock sound effects. I vividly remember the ad during reruns of the Trunks/Android saga here in the UK and would always get a laugh out of it because of how random it was. It would be great if someone still has a copy.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:45 am

NitroEX wrote::clap: Brilliant stuff DBZimran, it's great to see all these old ads again.

I don't suppose you have anymore? I've been trying to find the original version of this for a while (the uploader replaced the music and sound). It was originally accompanied by this song and a bunch of stock sound effects. I vividly remember the ad during reruns of the Trunks/Android saga here in the UK and would always get a laugh out of it because of how random it was. It would be great if someone still has a copy.
Here you go buddy: http://mudra.tv/view_video.php?viewkey= ... ategory=no I have loads of adverts i'll just swift through them, most of them are on Youtube though. Just been downloading the adverts on Youtube over the years. Haha!