Toriyama Manga Theater Fourth Volume?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Toriyama Manga Theater Fourth Volume?

Post by Dayspring » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:49 am

I was trying to track down info/scanslations/anything on Bubul (on account of how it's supposedly set in Maikai) when I discovered that it was apparently reprinted in Japan. Apparently, back during the kanzenban craze, everything Toriyama had published up to that point was getting reprinted in kanzenban form. However, the Manga Theater supposedly got a fourth volume under the kanzenban edition in 2010. It apparently contained Dr Mashirito and Abale-chan, Wolf, Lady Red, Tokimecha, Bubul, Hyowtam, Alien X Peke, and Mysterious Rain Jack.

Can anybody find this? I was able to find a picture for the "coming soon" advert as well as pictures of the kanzebans for the first three, but I can't find anything on the fourth volume.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Toriyama Manga Theater Fourth Volume?

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 am

Where is your source for this info? As far as I know this does not exist. A good tool to use is to go here http://books.shueisha.co.jp/ and plug in 鳥山 明 or go straight to the author listing for a more concise list. The 3 original "Manga Theater" volumes are listed, as well as the 2 newer "Mankanzenseki" (or "Yum Yum Toriyama" :lol: ) collections, none of which contain many of those strays (including Bubul).

I would LOVE for this to be true. If you have any info leading you to believe otherwise, I'd love to see the source!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 am

Unfortunately, no fourth volume of Akira Toriyama's ______piece Theatre has been announced. It's been 18 years since the last one, and there are plenty of one-shots that could be collected by now. Excluding his two "adult" four-panel gag strips (Super Jump #1, November 1986; never republished) and the infamous Lady Red (Super Jump #2, March 1987; available in An Emperor's Feast of Akira Toriyama [Toriyama Akira Mankanzenseki], vol. 1), we still have a bunch of things that have yet to see tankōbon format:
  • Alien Peke (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1996 #37/38 & #39; August 1996)
    • It's available in one of the Mankanzenseki volumes (in bunko format), but has yet to be released in a proper Jump Comics tankōbon.
  • TokiMecha (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1997 #03/04, #05/06, & #07; December 1996 – January 1997)
    • Toriyama's first attempt at applying shading digitally, and the origin of the character design for the boy who appears in the Neko Majin Z chapters.
  • Bubul of Demon Village (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1997 #22/23; April 1997)
    • Toriyama's first entry in the Jump Readers’ Cup competition since 1982, and his first winning entry since Pola & Roid in 1981. It also forms an early prototype of COWA!, his short-term serial immediately following.
  • Mahimahi the Lungfish (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1999 #04/05; December 1998)
    • A nine-page, full-color exploration of the everyday life of a lungfish. An atypical work of an "educational" bent.
  • HYOWTAM (e-Jump; December 1999)
    • A full-color, storybook-esque tale in a special edition of V-Jump that also included two PlayStation-exclusive CD-ROMs with menus designed by Masakazu Katsura. The magazine also included a feature showing off Toriyama's drawing process at the time (drawing and inking by hand and coloring by computer).
  • Dr. Mashirito — Abale-chan (Monthly Jump 2007 #04; March 2007)
    • The first and only Toriyama-drawn sequel to the original Dr. Slump manga. Dr. Mashirito Junior creates "Abale", an "evil" facsimile of Arale, in order to avenge his father. However, much like Obotchaman before her, Abale is not truly evil, and she manages to save the Earth from would-be invading aliens in spite of her bad attitude. This formed the basis of the animated short of the same title, which played before One Piece movie #8, and actually opened before the manga version officially went on sale.
  • Kintoki: Toki of the Golden-Eyed Tribe (Weekly Shōnen Jump 2010 #50; November 2010)
    • A short tale of apparent discrimination against people with "golden eyes", as well as the redemption(?) of a self-proclaimed Venusian who is a transparent fraud of a fortune-teller. The latter character makes a cameo in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.
There are also two joint works, which may be disqualified by their nature as collaborations with other authors, but would still be nice to see:
  • This is the Police Station in front of Dragon Park on Planet Namek (with Osamu Akimoto; Super Kochikame, September 2006)
    • A special gag chapter in celebration of Kochikame’s 30th anniversary, with Ryō-san encountering Freeza on Planet Namek. It's a semi-sequel to a two-page "epilogue" from Weekly Shōnen Jump 1990 #17, available in Kochikame volume 69.
  • Cross Epoch (with Eiichirō Oda; Weekly Shōnen Jump 2007 #05, December 2006)
    • A "dream team" collaboration nearly four years in the making, and well-loved by fans of both series. It's been reprinted a few times in various places since then, including the One Piece 10th Treasures "mook", and the digital edition of the Weekly Shōnen Jump 45th anniversary issue (which also contained the first chapter of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:19 pm

It's entirely possible (cough*PROBABLE*cough) that I misread what was mentioned on this page. That's my third language and I haven't used it in over a decade. http://murugarren.blogspot.ca/2010/05/l ... icion.html
Alien Peke (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1996 #37/38 & #39; August 1996)
It's available in one of the Mankanzenseki volumes (in bunko format), but has yet to be released in a proper Jump Comics tankōbon.
TokiMecha (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1997 #03/04, #05/06, & #07; December 1996 – January 1997)
Toriyama's first attempt at applying shading digitally, and the origin of the character design for the boy who appears in the Neko Majin Z chapters.
Bubul of Demon Village (Weekly Shōnen Jump 1997 #22/23; April 1997)
Toriyama's first entry in the Jump Readers’ Cup competition since 1982, and his first winning entry since Pola & Roid in 1981. It also forms an early prototype of COWA!, his short-term serial immediately following.
Have you read any of those? Would you be able to give a more in-depth synopsis?

By prototype of COWA! for Bubul, do you mean he re-uses designs or themes? I ask because it looks like Jose's family playing a prominent role in the strip, with Jose's brother specifically being Bubul's friend. Is that the case or was Toriyama just re-using the Rodriguez family's designs?

I found this, but can't read a word of it: http://ameblo.jp/dragonbird-z/theme-10074823325.html
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:03 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote: An Emperor's Feast of Akira Toriyama [Toriyama Akira Mankanzenseki]
Ok, a better translation of that title, I just love how they say "Yum Yum Toriyama" in English on those books.