Who did it better (SUB vs. DUB)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Who did it better (SUB vs. DUB)

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 pm

If you're like me you love both the Japanese and English dub equally. However, there are some Japanese VA's that I think do a better job voicing a character than their dub counterpart and vice versa. I made this thread because I want to know who you guys think voiced their character better. I'm both curious and excited to see what your guys opinions are. :D

I myself will add my list once I've heard what you fine people have to say. :)
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Who did it better (SUB vs. DUB)

Post by Adamant » Tue May 12, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm having an extremely hard time thinking of a single English dub voice that wasn't terribly miscast and/or terribly acted. Usually both. Let's not pretend this was anything other than a cheap, bottom-barrel dub here.

What's up with all these "what did the English dub not suck at here? What did the English dub not suck at there?" threads lately, anyway? It's getting a bit overwhelming.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 12, 2015 6:12 pm

It took me ten minutes to come up with this and I may not even actually believe it, but Chris Sabat as Reacoom is better than Seiji Sasaki. More or less what Adamant said.

Expecting people to chime in with Goku, Freeza, Babidi, and Uranai Baba.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue May 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Adamant wrote:What's up with all these "what did the English dub not suck at here? What did the English dub not suck at there?" threads lately, anyway? It's getting a bit overwhelming.
Welcome to my world :problem: ...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Truhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Truhan » Tue May 12, 2015 6:39 pm

I like the Portuguese Dub (from Portugal), because it helped turn DBZ into a national product that is still appreciated today (the subbed Kai episodes bombed), with all the pop culture references and gags.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Both did a great job at bringing the characters to life but I think the English dub cast fits the characters better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue May 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Adamant wrote:I'm having an extremely hard time thinking of a single English dub voice that wasn't terribly miscast and/or terribly acted.
Cell, though outdoing Norio Wakamoto is just not humanly possible.

And Mr Satan too, I guess. FUNimation have always been good at doing gag characters.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Nothing really compares to the original JPN VA cast for DB or Z. But I will say that Chris Ayres does a magnificent Freeza, Sabat has really honed his Vegeta and Piccolo, Schemmel's Goku has evolved brilliantly so much over the years and Dameon Clarke's Cell since Kai has been brilliant.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu May 14, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Anyways, my personal list...

English Performances I Prefer...
-------------------------------------------

Bardock (I hate how they had Nozawa voicing him despite them being totally different characters. Plus, Sonny Strait is really good as Bardock)

Goku (Nozawa is awesome at the ACTING part...but I think Schemmel has the more fitting voice. Plus, Schemmel is much better at screaming)

Bulma (only Monica Rial though)

Gohan (both child and adult Gohan. It's...kind of distracting to hear Gohan and Goku having essentially the same voice in Japanese, just with different inflections, and a minor pitch difference)

Krillin (Japanese Krillin is voiced by a woman...and unlike Japanese Goku, it's pretty obvious that Krillin is voiced by a woman).

Raditz

Vegeta

Frieza (only Chris Ayres though. Linda Young was kind of a pain to listen to at times, even if she did do a great job as Genkai)

Android #17

Android #18 (only Meredith McCoy though. Laura Bailey is essentially just an imitation of the Japanese voice)

Cell (aside from Semi-Perfect Cell. I will admit that Norio gave much better acting there, if only because of how forced Dameon sounded)

Mr. Satan/Hercule

Babidi

Super Buu (Japanese actor sounded kind of generic, while Justin Cook is just SO good at emoting, as he proved with Yusuke)

Japanese Performances I Prefer...
--------------------------------------------

Chi-Chi (I really wish Cynthia Cranz used a bit more of her Botan performance in her Chi-Chi performance. She just sounds too unreasonably angry there.)

Yamcha

Tien (English Tien always seems to sound agitated and nervous or something)

Nappa

Recoome

Ginyu

Trunks (Adult Trunks has that rasp from Eric Vale, and Child Trunks is voiced by a woman in the English version. So kudos to Japanese Trunks for having a male who's able to voice for both Child AND Adult Trunks!)

Fat Buu (English Fat Buu is kind of annoying to listen to sometimes)
Last edited by Fionordequester on Tue May 12, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Overall the dub was much better.

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Post by Captain Sauza » Tue May 12, 2015 8:14 pm

If we're counting movies, I think Andrew Chandler's Cooler was much more fitting than Ryusei Nakao's.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue May 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Korean Goten and Kara Edwards are much better than Noza
WA's Son Goten. By default the Korean and English Gotenks was better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 12, 2015 9:05 pm

With rare exceptions, the original is better.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 pm

I'd argue Raditz has a much more distinct voice in Funimation's dub. It helps that Justin Cook started out as a pretty decent actor compared to his fellow cast members. I also have a soft spot for Bardock's dub voice, though Sonny Strait's delivery in TV special is a little rough around the edges.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:25 am

Adamant wrote:I'm having an extremely hard time thinking of a single English dub voice that wasn't terribly miscast and/or terribly acted. Usually both. Let's not pretend this was anything other than a cheap, bottom-barrel dub here.

What's up with all these "what did the English dub not suck at here? What did the English dub not suck at there?" threads lately, anyway? It's getting a bit overwhelming.
Well, no. I agree that most of the Japanese VA`s does a better job than the US cast, but every single English VA was NOT terribly miscast and/or terribly acted. Some, yes, but not every one! That is just ignorant!

Do you think Dameon Clarke as Cell, Vic Mignogna as Broly, Chris Ayers as Freeza, Chuck Huber as 17, Meredith McCoy as 18, Chris Sabat as Yamcha, Sonny Strait as Krillin, Sean Schemmel as Goku, Eric Vale as Trunks, Justin Cook as Buu, Jason Douglas as Beerus, Brina Palencia as Chaotzu, Ian Sinclair as Whis and Brice Armstrong as Ginyu are horrible choices? Do you think every one of these actors are horrible actors, and were terribly miscast? Because that`s what you just said.

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Wed May 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Nowadays, i prefer the sub for the old series. But i love the voices in the newer movies(especially Beerus) and mostly watch them in English. Though I do feel they should recast Kaio-Sama. Sean's awesome, but that isn't how Kaio's supposed to sound :lol:
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:52 pm

I like the VAs in Kai better than all the Japanese ones, tbh.

Z was them starting out. I still prefer a lot of the voices, but there's no denying that they simply were not as refined as they are now, let alone the Japanese cast. Also, the dialogue they had to deal with was pretty bad, especially Frieza.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Wed May 13, 2015 6:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I like the VAs in Kai better than all the Japanese ones, tbh.

Z was them starting out. I still prefer a lot of the voices, but there's no denying that they simply were not as refined as they are now, let alone the Japanese cast. Also, the dialogue they had to deal with was pretty bad, especially Freeza.
"Pop goes the weasel....""

Argh, ma dick....
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 pm

ParkerAL wrote:I'd argue Raditz has a much more distinct voice in Funimation's dub. It helps that Justin Cook started out as a pretty decent actor compared to his fellow cast members. I also have a soft spot for Bardock's dub voice, though Sonny Strait's delivery in TV special is a little rough around the edges.
I don't agree on any count. Shigeru Chiba has a very distinct voice and Cook is an awful actor. Jason Grey Stanford was far better as dub actors go. If you've ever seen Monk, Grey plays Randy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 am

sintzu wrote:Both did a great job at bringing the characters to life but I think the English dub cast fits the characters better.
Indeed. Listening to any of the Japanese cast try grunting (such as when Goku is about to fire the Warp Kamehameha at Cell) is painful. It sounds like they're choking on their own blood in their deathbed. FUNimation got it right with the grunts of effort Goku had in that scene right before Cell yells "No!"

I do like Masako Nozawa though. Awesome lady. If feminists were smart, she would be their idol.