Big Green voice cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Big Green voice cast

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:49 pm

I've looked in the Dragon Ball Wiki a few hours ago, and in the space for "Voice Actors", there are some voices credited for some characters in "AB Group Dub", like David Gasman for Goku and Paul Bandey as Vegeta.

When I searched for "Paul Bandey" I had saw some videos in youtube, and his voice is really close to the "Old Bastard" one(who voices Vegeta in the Big Green dub), just look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBMp-m8LMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RnGJDTItX8

So, could be that(the voices in the Wiki) the correct cast of the Big Green dub?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Big Green voice cast

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:36 pm

They certainly sound similar, but there's probably no way to know for sure.

Speaking of which, what information is there about the Big Green dub? I know there's probably numerous threads about it, but I don't think I've seen any. What information is out there about it?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:03 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:They certainly sound similar, but there's probably no way to know for sure.

Speaking of which, what information is there about the Big Green dub? I know there's probably numerous threads about it, but I don't think I've seen any. What information is out there about it?
According to some informations I searched, the Big Green actors did other works like the english dub of "Code Lyoko"....and the voices are very similar. Just look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk_5R_XEybc

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:14 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:They certainly sound similar, but there's probably no way to know for sure.
If it's the same actors, Code Lyoko definitely had a better voice director.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:26 am

Kuwabara wrote:
Well, Code Lyoko doesn't have so many action scenes(with screams, fight scenes, attacks' names and other things), and the Big Green dub of DBZ was did based in the french one, that was bad by itself.

Also, the voices of Code Lyoko and the Big Green dub are VERY similar. Now I just can't think that are not the same voice actors.

Well, if that is all right, the Big Green dub cast probably is:

Goku - David Gasman
Gohan - Barbara Scaff(child/teen)/David Gasman(adult, in Trunks Special)
Piccolo/Big Green - Paul Bandey
Bulma - Jodi Forrest
Kami - Paul Bandey
King Kai - Paul Bandey
Vegeta - Paul Bandey(Movies 7-9)/Doug Rand(Movie 6 and Trunks' special)/Sharon Mann(child)
Krillin/Clearin - Sharon Mann
Chi-Chi - Jodi Forrest
Bardock - David Gasman
Frieza - Paul Bandey
Dodoria - Paul Bandey
Zarbon - Matthew Géczy
Turles - Paul Bandey
Garlic Jr. - Doug Rand
Yamcha - Matthew Géczy/Doug Rand(Movie 9 only)
Tien - Doug Rand(first movies)/David Gasman(last movies)
Slug - Paul Bandey
Cooler - Doug Rand(Movie 5)/Paul Bandey(Movie 6)
Salza - David Gasman
Android 13 - Doug Rand
Dr. Gero(appearance in movie 7) - Paul Bandey
Broly - Doug Rand
Paragus - Paul Bandey
Bojack - Doug Rand
Zangya - Jodi Forrest
Mr. Satan - Paul Bandey
Trunks - Doug Rand/Matthew Géczy(Movie 7)
Android 17 - Matthew Géczy
Android 18 - Mirabelle Kirkland
Shenron - Paul Bandey
Narrator - Paul Bandey

I can't confirm with 100% of sure, but probably this is the cast of the Big Green dub.
Last edited by SaintEvolution on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SatoshiCT

Post by SatoshiCT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:16 am

It's safe to say for sure that the "Big Green" dub was produced in France much like Code Lyoko's english dub. Hearing various clips from the DBZ movies I definitely recall hearing Sharon Mann's(Jeremy and Aelita) and Matthew Geczy's(Odd) voices for various characters. It's been a while since I've watch any of the Big Green movie's but after watching Trunk's special recently it's easy to hear Sharon Mann as 18 and Matthew Geczy as 17.
Last edited by SatoshiCT on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:39 am

I'm the one who added all those BG dub credits to the wiki.

This is the source which all but confirms who voices who:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/for ... hp?t=15614

Only one VA has actually been officially confirmed (Sharron Mann as Clearin and a few other characters) but all the evidence points to people like David Gasman, Paul Bandey and Doug Rand appearing in this dub.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:17 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Also, the voices of Code Lyoko and the Big Green dub are VERY similar. Now I just can't think that are not the same voice actors.

• I can't confirm with 100% of sure, but probably this is the cast of the Big Green dub.
Thank you! Finally a full list! :D
I've been saying for years that the two shows likely had the same voice actors, but no one ever looked into it, and i never felt like watching Code Lyoko (or whole movies of the AB Groupe dub), so I could never say who voiced who. ...Except for Jodi Forrest. Her voice for Sissi stood out to me the most. But even then, I couldn't find her online to confirm. Instead I ended up asking a DIFFERENT Jodi Forrest who happened to once live in France, and once do some voice acting, but she said she'd never done anything for those two shows.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:06 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:
Well, Code Lyoko doesn't have so many action scenes(with screams, fight scenes, attacks' names and other things), and the Big Green dub of DBZ was did based in the french one, that was bad by itself.

Also, the voices of Code Lyoko and the Big Green dub are VERY similar. Now I just can't think that are not the same voice actors.

• I can't confirm with 100% of sure, but probably this is the cast of the Big Green dub.
Thanks for the interesting information, SaintEvolution! :)
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:57 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I know there's probably numerous threads about it, but I don't think I've seen any. What information is out there about it?
Not a lot in the way of official information (as you've probably already read here), but a few things in the way of educated guesses.

In all likelyhood, it was recorded in France. A few reasons to suspect this...

-A few of the suspected voice actors lived in France.
-The dialogue is strikingly simmilar, and often identical, to the French dub script.
-Why would the Big Green dub be based on the French dub? Well, the AB Groupe are the ones behind the Big Green dub for one, and in addition to that, they also own the international distribution rights for DBZ in most of Europe, meaning most European dubs are based on their dub.
-One of the things the Big Green dub is notable for is how long-winded and quickly-spoken the dialogue is. This is, in all likelihood, is the result of a poorly-prepared rhythmo-band, which is France's method of dubbing.*

*Basically, the engineer takes a blank strip of film and writes out the revised dialogue by hand onto the film strip. This film strip, the “rhythmo-band,” is then projected onto a separate TV screen beneath the main TV screen that shows the visuals that the dubbing actor will dub. Towards the left end of the rhythmo-band screen, a static red line is projected. As the visuals of the main screen move along, so does the rhythmo-band. Because the engineer took the time to precisely calculate how long everything should be pronounced, and adjusted the size and length of their handwriting accordingly, the rhythmo-band’s text scrolls from right to left in sync with the picture, and the dubbing actor then reads the rhythmo-band’s moving text as it intersects with the static red line. Here's some behind-the-scenes footage of the French dub of BoG to demonstrate how it works...fast-forward to the 4:58 mark.

With that in mind, listen to this clip and tell me you don't hear an actor struggling to keep up with the super-fast pace of a sloppily-prepared rhythmo-band.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:06 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:is the result of a poorly-prepared rhythmo-band, which is France's method of dubbing.*

*Basically, the engineer takes a blank strip of film and writes out the revised dialogue by hand onto the film strip. This film strip, the “rhythmo-band,” is then projected onto a separate TV screen beneath the main TV screen that shows the visuals that the dubbing actor will dub. Towards the left end of the rhythmo-band screen, a static red line is projected. As the visuals of the main screen move along, so does the rhythmo-band. Because the engineer took the time to precisely calculate how long everything should be pronounced, and adjusted the size and length of their handwriting accordingly, the rhythmo-band’s text scrolls from right to left in sync with the picture, and the dubbing actor then reads the rhythmo-band’s moving text as it intersects with the static red line. Here's some behind-the-scenes footage of the French dub of BoG to demonstrate how it works...fast-forward to the 4:58 mark.
This is super fascinating to me, in Portugal most anime (and even movie I believe) dubs are done the old fashioned way of having the actors read the lines from its script pages (or in case of Sailor Moon Crystal, a tablet) to a TV with the visuals and nothing else, do you know of other countries that use this "rhtyhmo-band" method or something similar?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:13 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

Thanks for the interesting information, SaintEvolution! :)
You are welcome! :)

Also, a sad thing about that is...those actors are experienced and they have some good works in their curriculum. They could be amazing additions to the franchise, but the very bad scripts and the poor dubbing direction ruined most part of the dub.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I know there's probably numerous threads about it, but I don't think I've seen any. What information is out there about it?
Not a lot in the way of official information (as you've probably already read here), but a few things in the way of educated guesses.

In all likelyhood, it was recorded in France. A few reasons to suspect this...

-A few of the suspected voice actors lived in France.
-The dialogue is strikingly simmilar, and often identical, to the French dub script.
-Why would the Big Green dub be based on the French dub? Well, the AB Groupe are the ones behind the Big Green dub for one, and in addition to that, they also own the international distribution rights for DBZ in most of Europe, meaning most European dubs are based on their dub.
-One of the things the Big Green dub is notable for is how long-winded and quickly-spoken the dialogue is. This is, in all likelihood, is the result of a poorly-prepared rhythmo-band, which is France's method of dubbing.*

With that in mind, listen to this clip and tell me you don't hear an actor struggling to keep up with the super-fast pace of a sloppily-prepared rhythmo-band.
That's really interesting! I've never heard of that before.
SaintEvolution wrote:Also, a sad thing about that is...those actors are experienced and they have some good works in their curriculum. They could be amazing additions to the franchise, but the very bad scripts and the poor dubbing direction ruined most part of the dub.
That's a shame... :(

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Somebody had added the Big Green actors in Anime News Network too!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=987

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Somebody had added the Big Green actors in Anime News Network too!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=987
And IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1197229/

Well at least now we won't have to keep referring to Mr. Bandey as "Old Bastard" :lol:
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Quebaz wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:is the result of a poorly-prepared rhythmo-band, which is France's method of dubbing.*

This is super fascinating to me, in Portugal most anime (and even movie I believe) dubs are done the old fashioned way of having the actors read the lines from its script pages (or in case of Sailor Moon Crystal, a tablet) to a TV with the visuals and nothing else, do you know of other countries that use this "rhtyhmo-band" method or something similar?
Glad you find it fascinating--I do too!

The Big Green dub is not a good demonstration of how effective the rhythmo-band can be. When it works well, it works better than any other method. If you'll notice, French dubs in general tend to have extremely precise lip-syncing, not only because of the ease of the method for the actors, but because the writers are trained to take lip shapes into account and adapt the dialogue accordingly. In addition, it allows for group recordings, which almost every other method of dubbing prohibits, requiring instead that every single actor, no matter how small their part, record their lines one actor at a time.

Unfortunately, while the rhythmo-band is the best method if done well, that's a big "if." The method is not perfect, it does still require a good writer who knows how to adapt the script (and write) properly. Someone who can stay loyal to the script while at the same time re-phrasing it as necessary so that it doesn't sound weird, unnatural, or forced.....like the Big Green dub's dialogue.

While the rhythmo-band is the exclusive method of dubbing in France, it didn't take off much beyond there. The reason is because it takes a looooooong time to prepare. It saves the actors a ton of time, but it's a hellish process--not to mention a long process--for the writer to prepare a rhythmo-band effectively. You need to not only be good at adaptation-writing, but also be good with your handwriting so that the handwriting can be adjusted as needed while still being legible. Most studios outside of France who have tried it decided it just wasn't worth the effort. A few studios in Los Angeles tried it briefly, but stopped for the following reasons:
-The actors were focusing too much on the rhythmo-band, and not enough on the visuals of what they were dubbing.
-The handwriting of the rhythmo-band writers was not particularly good.
-It works well for French, where words flow very seamlessly together...but for other languages that aren't like that, like English, it's another story.
-Like I said, it takes a long time to prepare if you're not skilled in a number of areas. The writers weren't trained on how to do this, and it was costing them way too much time to try and figure it out.

Some companies, like Synchronos, tried to address this problem by creating digital programs that replicate the rhythmo-band's function and work in sync with recording software like Pro Tools. If you want to try out a brief 20-second clip for yourself, here are some examples (scroll down a little bit), rhythmo-band included.

That's not to say that France is the only country to use it, though. French Canada uses it a lot, and there are a few other places in Canada that do it that way for English dubs as well. For example, while Sailor Moon is getting re-dubbed in Los Angeles now, the first English dub we had was recorded in Toronto, Canada, and they used the rhythmo-band for that English dub.

Most English dubs have either paper scripts or, far more commonly nowadays, scripts on a computer monitor that the actor looks at. The cool thing about this is that it's linked to a computer in the mixing room that the director can control, and they can make adjustments to the scripts if it isn't working. For example--and I'll be brief about this--I dubbed a few characters for an anime called Doraemon not too long ago, and there were two or three times where there weren't enough words in the dialogue to fit the lip flaps, so the director would make small adjustments, like changing the word "it's" to "it is," to get a small extra syllable in there, stretching out the dialogue a bit, and in effect making it fit the lip flaps more effectively. Since they could do this from where they were sitting, I just watched on my monitor as they went into the Microsoft Word doc script, and made the adjustment right before my eyes. Quite efficient!

This is the typical dubbing method for English dubs.

And no, I'm not Johnny Yong Bosch. But anyway, how do they do it in Portugal?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 am

WOW! Black Paladin I didnt know you were a voice actor! That's cool! I did know we had some bona fide anime voice actors but I never knew you were one of them.

Also wow, "an anime called Doraemon" its weird for me to read this, since Doraemon has been so present here in Paraguay and abroad and that wording is for anime that is very unknown. But I guess its very obscure in the states.

ALSO LOL VEGETA YAMCHA AND MR POPO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Do you guys know if the Big Green cast had dubbed another anime?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:03 am

^
Code Lyoko. And probably any other English dubs produced in France.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Glad you find it fascinating--I do too!

The Big Green dub is not a good demonstration of how effective the rhythmo-band can be. When it works well, it works better than any other method. If you'll notice, French dubs in general tend to have extremely precise lip-syncing, not only because of the ease of the method for the actors, but because the writers are trained to take lip shapes into account and adapt the dialogue accordingly. In addition, it allows for group recordings, which almost every other method of dubbing prohibits, requiring instead that every single actor, no matter how small their part, record their lines one actor at a time.

Unfortunately, while the rhythmo-band is the best method if done well, that's a big "if." The method is not perfect, it does still require a good writer who knows how to adapt the script (and write) properly. Someone who can stay loyal to the script while at the same time re-phrasing it as necessary so that it doesn't sound weird, unnatural, or forced.....like the Big Green dub's dialogue.

While the rhythmo-band is the exclusive method of dubbing in France, it didn't take off much beyond there. The reason is because it takes a looooooong time to prepare. It saves the actors a ton of time, but it's a hellish process--not to mention a long process--for the writer to prepare a rhythmo-band effectively. You need to not only be good at adaptation-writing, but also be good with your handwriting so that the handwriting can be adjusted as needed while still being legible. Most studios outside of France who have tried it decided it just wasn't worth the effort. A few studios in Los Angeles tried it briefly, but stopped for the following reasons:
-The actors were focusing too much on the rhythmo-band, and not enough on the visuals of what they were dubbing.
-The handwriting of the rhythmo-band writers was not particularly good.
-It works well for French, where words flow very seamlessly together...but for other languages that aren't like that, like English, it's another story.
-Like I said, it takes a long time to prepare if you're not skilled in a number of areas. The writers weren't trained on how to do this, and it was costing them way too much time to try and figure it out.

Some companies, like Synchronos, tried to address this problem by creating digital programs that replicate the rhythmo-band's function and work in sync with recording software like Pro Tools. If you want to try out a brief 20-second clip for yourself, here are some examples (scroll down a little bit), rhythmo-band included.

That's not to say that France is the only country to use it, though. French Canada uses it a lot, and there are a few other places in Canada that do it that way for English dubs as well. For example, while Sailor Moon is getting re-dubbed in Los Angeles now, the first English dub we had was recorded in Toronto, Canada, and they used the rhythmo-band for that English dub.

Most English dubs have either paper scripts or, far more commonly nowadays, scripts on a computer monitor that the actor looks at. The cool thing about this is that it's linked to a computer in the mixing room that the director can control, and they can make adjustments to the scripts if it isn't working. For example--and I'll be brief about this--I dubbed a few characters for an anime called Doraemon not too long ago, and there were two or three times where there weren't enough words in the dialogue to fit the lip flaps, so the director would make small adjustments, like changing the word "it's" to "it is," to get a small extra syllable in there, stretching out the dialogue a bit, and in effect making it fit the lip flaps more effectively. Since they could do this from where they were sitting, I just watched on my monitor as they went into the Microsoft Word doc script, and made the adjustment right before my eyes. Quite efficient!

This is the typical dubbing method for English dubs.

And no, I'm not Johnny Yong Bosch. But anyway, how do they do it in Portugal?
Very interesting, kind of a shame it didn't take off into other countries tho, however it seems it does require too much work for both the actors and directors iof they aren't accostumed to it, so I guess I can understand why. (I spent aproximately about an hour just toying with the examples you posted, I can't do it xD).

Yup, dubbing in Portugal is mostly like you described, however instead of having the script on a computer monitor, it's on paper or a tablet,Here's the "making of" of Fairy Tail's dub if you're interested, funny what you say about making small adjustments to fit the mouth flaps, according to the Portuguese actors, that's what inicially caused the "Pearls" in our dub. (Also holy cow you were in Doraemon? Who were you?)
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr