A dub family tree.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A dub family tree.

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:17 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:The Japanese original dub
Not to be nitpicky, but the Japanese version isn't a dub...
Its still a dub, to be honest. The characters don't talk without voice actors.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:The Japanese original dub
Not to be nitpicky, but the Japanese version isn't a dub...
Its still a dub, to be honest. The characters don't talk without voice actors.
That doesn't qualify it as a dub, though. To dub means to replace the original soundtrack ("soundrack" in this case referring to the entire original audio mix, not just the original musical score). It's for this reason that they differentiate the terms "dub" and "pre-lay."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Why do I have a feeling that this has been discussed several times before?
I personally don't think that the original version of anything a 'dub', but since I've even seen the term used in official media, I consider it a lost cause.
People just say "Japanese dub" to refer to the Japanese version. Let's stop being so finicky.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I don't know about the schedule of when things were dubbed, but if it's any indication of anything, the first Budokai game came out in Europe and North America before Japan, and the European release apparently had only English voices.
The first Budokai was released in Europe on November 2, 2002, the US on December 3, 2002 and Japan on February 13, 2003. However, the European release had only the Japanese audio, meaning that it was definitely recorded in Japanese before the game launched in the US.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:08 pm

gregoryluis09 wrote:Brazilian Dub:

1996 DB dub: Based on Mexican dub
DBZ Dub: Based on Mexican dub
DB 2002 dub: Based on Mexican dub
DB 2006 dub: Based on Mexican dub
Unreleased DB 2010 dub: Based on original Japanese
DB and DBZ movies and specials: based on Mexican dub
Kai dub: Based on Funi Nicktoons dub (With some corrections based on the manga)
BOG and ROF: Based on original Japanese
GT dub: Based on Mexican dub
Until I know, the brazilian DBZ, DB 2002/2006, old movies and GT Dubs had corrections based in the manga too. Characters like Krillin, Chichi, Vegeta, Frieza and others had their japanese names and pronounces in the brazilian dub, while the mexican one used proper pronounces/changed the names. For example:

(Krillin's pronounciation): Mexican = Krillin / Brazilian = Kuririn
(Chichi's name): Mexican = Milk / Brazilian = Chichi
(Vegeta's name's pronounciation): Mexican = Vegueta / Brazilian = Vejita (probably the most correct pronounce, also the valencian dub used that pronounce too)
(Frieza's pronounciation): Mexican = Freezer / Brazilian = Freeza

Another thing is that the brazilian voices are less deep and more close to the japanese ones than the mexican voices. Maybe they had some contact with the japanese version before.

And....about the 1996 Dragon Ball dub, it was not based in the japanese one? Cause the dialogues had some differences with the latin american dub(and not only names/pronounces' corrections).

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Also, we can talk about most of the european dubs, that were based in the french dub.

Some of them were only based in the french dub for some episodes/movies of the original DB and DBZ too, but not in all the movies/episodes. For those, we can have as example the catalan, galician, valencian, basque, european spanish, german and a few others.

Some of them were based in the french dub, but with corrections based in the manga. For those we can have as examples danish and german dubs.

The malaysian english dub os the movies was partially based in japanese and in cantonese dubs too.

The vietnamese dub of Kai was based in the Uncut FUNimation dub.

The indonesian dub has some similarities with the tagalog/filipino english one. But I'm not sure if one was based in the other.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46 am

SaintEvolution wrote:

Until I know, the brazilian DBZ, DB 2002/2006, old movies and GT Dubs had corrections based in the manga too. Characters like Krillin, Chichi, Vegeta, Freeza and others had their japanese names and pronounces in the brazilian dub, while the mexican one used proper pronounces/changed the names. For example:

(Vegeta's name's pronounciation): Mexican = Vegueta / Brazilian = Vejita (probably the most correct pronounce, also the valencian dub used that pronounce too)
(Freeza's pronounciation): Mexican = Freezer / Brazilian = Freeza

Another thing is that the brazilian voices are less deep and more close to the japanese ones than the mexican voices. Maybe they had some contact with the japanese version before.

And....about the 1996 Dragon Ball dub, it was not based in the japanese one? Cause the dialogues had some differences with the latin american dub(and not only names/pronounces' corrections).
About the corrections: Wendel Bezerra (Goku) said in an interview that the corrections were actually based on some fans he asked at the time the dub was made.

About the 1996 dub: If you search for recordings of the time this dub aired you will see Spanish credits.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:05 am

gregoryluis09 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

Until I know, the brazilian DBZ, DB 2002/2006, old movies and GT Dubs had corrections based in the manga too. Characters like Krillin, Chichi, Vegeta, Freeza and others had their japanese names and pronounces in the brazilian dub, while the mexican one used proper pronounces/changed the names. For example:

(Freeza's pronounciation): Mexican = Freezer / Brazilian = Freeza

Another thing is that most of the brazilian voices are less deep and more close to the japanese ones than the mexican voices. Maybe they had some contact with the japanese version before.

About the corrections: Wendel Bezerra (Goku) said in an interview that the corrections were actually based on some fans he asked at the time the dub was made.

About the 1996 dub: If you search for recordings of the time this dub aired you will see Spanish credits.

About the 1996 dub: yeah, the credits were in spanish, but maybe the audio was the japanese one. There are some considerable differences between this dub and the latin spanish one in the dialogues.

And a funny/curious thing about those corrections in the brazilian DBZ dub, is that because of them, the brazilian dub probably has the closest dialogues with the japanese version compared with most of other dubs around the world. If we have the european dubs for example, most of them have some big and terrible translation errors/changes. The closests european dubs with the japanese one are the italian, and probably, for what I have saw, a few others like the albanian too, and at least the italian dub has some changes/errors(like "Kamehameha" becoming "Onda Energetica" and a lot of unnecessary dialogues).

The asian dubs are more close to the japanese dub, but I don't have much to talk about them cause I'm not fluenty with most of asian languages. What I know is that the Thai dub put many nonexistent dialogues, and others like cantonese, mandarin and korean changed many names to convert to their reading(for example, "Sun Wukong" replacing "Son Gokuu" in cantonese and mandarin dubs).

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:07 am

Oh yeah:

* the Hindi dub was based in english(Ocean for the first seasons and FUNimation for the middle/final seasons and movies) dubs until I know.

* And the swedish/norwegian dubs were based in the Big Green if I'm sure.

I forgetted those two informations before.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:31 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Oh yeah:

* the Hindi dub was based in english(Ocean for the first seasons and FUNimation for the middle/final seasons and movies) dubs until I know.

* And the swedish/norwegian dubs were based in the Big Green if I'm sure.

I forgetted those two informations before.
I need some friends to do a proper Hindi dub of this show. lol

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:33 am

In the Budokai 3 Behind The Screams feature, they're obviously not listening to the Japanese audio as reference so when Schemmel says he didn't hear Nozawa's voice til 2004, he probably means the Ultimate Uncut redub because they probably had the original Japanese ones in storage from when they did it with Ocean and Saban similar to Dragon Ball in 95 even though the Funi dub was based of the Mexican dub, they used the Japanese version for the first 13 eps of DB.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:52 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:In the Budokai 3 Behind The Screams feature, they're obviously not listening to the Japanese audio as reference so when Schemmel says he didn't hear Nozawa's voice til 2004, he probably means the Ultimate Uncut redub because they probably had the original Japanese ones in storage from when they did it with Ocean and Saban similar to Dragon Ball in 95 even though the Funi dub was based of the Mexican dub, they used the Japanese version for the first 13 eps of DB.
I'm pretty sure they to referred to the Mexican dub for the Ocean dub. They didn't have a collection of the japanese audio; really, at all. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they got the 2004 dub based on the Japanese due to the Dragon Boxes being released in Japan at the time.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:17 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:In the Budokai 3 Behind The Screams feature, they're obviously not listening to the Japanese audio as reference so when Schemmel says he didn't hear Nozawa's voice til 2004, he probably means the Ultimate Uncut redub because they probably had the original Japanese ones in storage from when they did it with Ocean and Saban similar to Dragon Ball in 95 even though the Funi dub was based of the Mexican dub, they used the Japanese version for the first 13 eps of DB.
I'm pretty sure they to referred to the Mexican dub for the Ocean dub. They didn't have a collection of the japanese audio; really, at all. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they got the 2004 dub based on the Japanese due to the Dragon Boxes being released in Japan at the time.
I can't say for sure since I wasn't there, but there are a few important things to keep in mind.

Firstly, while Schemmel mentioned not having heard her voice until 2004, it may not have necessarily been 2004. I'm sure he probably didn't mark it down in his calendar the day he heard Nozawa for the first time, so while he said 2004, that could be based on a general recollection, rather than set date. So it might be safer for us to label it "2004ish."

Secondly, FUNimation couldn't get a hold of the Dragon Boxes until 2009. Apparently they looked into it and Toei was adamant--at first--about not giving it to them, because they wanted it to be a Japan-only item. They came around years later, sure, but it was still years later, when FUNimation had already completed a (relatively) consistent, uncensored dub of the whole TV series with their in-house cast and released it on DVD. And dates aside, I've seen people comment that the Japanese audio track found on the FUNimation Dragon Boxes sounded slightly cleaner than the Japanese audio track on the "orange bricks," meaning that the audio tracks were from two different sources. So they couldn't have been using the Dragon Box audio at that time.

Lastly, as stated earlier, the Ocean cast referenced the original Japanese voices in interviews, with Peter Kelamis in particular saying that he couldn't replicate the original voice because it would require him "hitting a note so high," in which case he definitely wasn't referring to the Mexican audio, because Goku's Latino Spanish voice actor has a pretty deep voice. So, again, I don't know for sure, but the evidence at hand suggests that the Ocean dub did have the Japanese audio for the voice actors to reference before each take.

As for what the Westwood dub had, though....that remains a mystery that will likely never be solved.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:10 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:In the Budokai 3 Behind The Screams feature, they're obviously not listening to the Japanese audio as reference so when Schemmel says he didn't hear Nozawa's voice til 2004, he probably means the Ultimate Uncut redub because they probably had the original Japanese ones in storage from wh
en they did it with Ocean and Saban similar to Dragon Ball in 95 even though the Funi dub was based of the Mexican dub, they used the Japanese version for the first 13 eps of DB.
Um, yeah they did. The first 13 episodes of DB and first 60 or so episodes of Z used the Japanese version's video as opposed to the Mexican Spanish dub video and used the Japanese audio for the actors to base their performances off of. This goes for the 1995 Ocean dub of the first 13 episodes of DB and Curse of the Blood Rubies and the 1996 Ocean dub of the first 60 or so episodes of DBZ as well as the Funimation versions of them. 2004 was when they started strictly using the Japanese materials with the Z Ultimate Uncut redub because they had the Japanese materials in storage from when they did them with Ocean and they also did the same for the first 13 eps of DB in 2001. Plus, why would they go and get the materials from Mexico when they already have them in storage? It doesn't make ANY sense and Kelamis already said that he heard Nozawa's voice when recording so it was definitely the Japanese materials when the Ocean dub was being done. Funi stopped using the Mexican materials with the Ultimate Uncut redub and officially shortly thereafter with everything DB related after that.
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:18 am

I'm just going to say that "dub" comes from "dubbing" which refers to adding sound to a film or tape. Thus, dubbing also occurs regarding the original japanese version and I see no real reason why it couldn't be called a dub.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:13 am

Aren't BoG and RoF also based on the Mexican dub? They were released about the same time. Both dubs use "Bills", for example.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Sandubadear wrote:

Aren't BoG and RoF also based on the Mexican dub? They were released about the same time. Both dubs use "Bills", for example.
They were released on the same time because the same company distributed for both Brazil and the rest of Latin America but the dub was definitely based on the Japanese according to a interview with Wendel Bezerra (Goku) that he showed the dub process of BOG and the audio he showed in the studio was the japanese one.