How would YOU have reboot the whole Dragon Ball series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How would YOU have reboot the whole Dragon Ball series

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:40 am

And I mean if you had a chance to reboot the franchise and set its own universe, whether if it's an alternation or whatever, how would you do it. I'll start with mine, but it'd be in spoilers..at least for Z and GT.

Dragon Ball: I say I'd just get rid of Pilaf, the first two sagas, but everything else can stay, especially the final battle(oooh god, that battle was NASTY!) but just have King Piccolo be the main antagonist of the whole thing along with him showing up every now and then. I want the Red Ribbon Army to play more of a major role with them having a vendetta against Master Roshi. And I'd rename Android 8 as Android 11, real name, Franky. Also, Grandpa Gohan will have a major role based on his backstory of him running from the law because he was stealing goods for his home and foreshadows a big event in the future(in Z).

Dragon Ball Z:
For GT, I'll come up with it later, cuz I have a lot to say about chaging GT.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: How would YOU have done the whole Dragon Ball series

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 am

Just for Dragonball alone.

Hindsight is 20/20, know that Goku was to be an alien since the very beginning.

1) Introduce the RR Army in the Pilaf Arc. Instead of Bulma having 2 balls before meeting Goku, she had one. The other ball a RR platoon would have, and Goku with major difficulty, gets the ball before the team heads off to Pilaf. (No Magic Rabbit Sidequest) Bonus points if the CO that Goku kills for the ball, is Gero's son.

2) Puar is like that guy from Soul Eater that can transform into a weapon. Weapon transformations match the weapon properties because we don't want to waste anyone's time.

3) Even with training, Goku does not take out the entire RR Army all by himself. Everyone else shows up to help

4) Chaozu is not a member of the Crane School. Like Nam, Ranfan, and others, he's a one shot fighter.

5) Pomputt is replaced by King Chappa, and King Chappa lasts a great deal.

6) Yamcha doesn't get his leg broken.

7) Cyborg Tao is the secondary antagonist right behind Piccolo in the 23rd Budokai. He defeats Tenshinhan in the preliminaries, and is the last opponent Goku fights before Piccolo, and he mentions Dr. Gero 'sends his regards.'

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:59 pm

FoolsGil wrote: 4) Chaozu is not a member of the Crane School. Like Nam, Ranfan, and others, he's a one shot fighter.'
So you want Tien to just be alone? Just asking.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: How would YOU have reboot the whole Dragon Ball series

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:07 pm

Isn't that more of a retelling rather than a reboot? Reboots tend to be a lot more drastic.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:Isn't that more of a retelling rather than a reboot? Reboots tend to be a lot more drastic.
Meh not all of the reboots though, some can be more of a reboot-retell thing.

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Oooooh, I'm liking this idea for a thread :thumbup:

Dragon Ball

I'd have Tien beat Drum but barely... only for King Piccolo to spawn two more Drum-like children. At least this way Tien isn't as disgraced in the final fight.

Dragon Ball Z

Saiyan Saga

* Gohan's attack after Piccolo dies hurts Nappa a lot more and almost kills him.
*Vegeta references Frieza in some way so we know there's someone above him.

Frieza Saga

Humans and Piccolo learn and master Kaioken.

Cell Saga

* Android 16 is actually stated in the show to be a RR solider Goku killed. Makes the whole mess more chilling.
*Goku recognizes Dr. Gero and actually regrets not finishing him as a kid.

****** Imperfect Cell actually kills Piccolo so Gohan has a reason to want to fight Cell.... but then realizes that fighting is pointless (it was fighting after all that killed his mentor) which makes him go pacifist in the Cell Games.

******** a lot more interaction between Future Trunks and Gohan.

Broly Saga

* This is just a saga that needed to happen. Both and born with great powers they didn't ask for nor want and both are cursed by their power. And Broly should be the Legendary SSJ that Frieza feared.
**** Battle ends with Gohan proving that he can protect the Earth by himself without his father holding his hand.

The end :D

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
FoolsGil wrote: 4) Chaozu is not a member of the Crane School. Like Nam, Ranfan, and others, he's a one shot fighter.'
So you want Tenshinhan to just be alone? Just asking.
Yeah sure, His only accomplishment in series was given Krillin a hard earned fight. I would envision a rebooted Yamcha taking Chaozu's spot in the King Piccolo Saga, and everything else being the same in canon for Yamcha.

NintendoFan28

Post by NintendoFan28 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Only doing the Boo Arc:

-SSJ 2 Gohan, Supreme Kai, Tien, and Piccolo, would fight Fat Boo together, but will fail horribly.

-Goku would stall Fat Boo, using only SSJ 2.

-After fighting Boo, Goku returns to the lookout to teach the boys fusion, and Boo kills Babidi. After a day has passed, Goku returns to the otherworld, and goes to the Supreme Kai planet, after sensing Gohan's energy.

-Once Goku is gone, Piccolo takes over teaching the boys the fusion technique. Once they have mastered the technique, Piccolo sends the boys into Room of Spirit and Time to train.

-Good Boo vs Gray Boo would last longer.

-Gray Boo would not absorb Good Boo.

-Gray Boo would be the main villain of the Boo arc, replacing Super Boo pre absorptions.

-Gotenks can only access SSJ 1, but would be a SSJ 2 tier fighter.

-Gray Boo flies to the lookout, and demands to fight Gotenks.

- Gray Boo would do what normal Super Boo did, and wipe out the earth population with Human Extinction Attack. Only this time, the attack would target kindhearted people.

-Gray Boo vs SSJ Gotenks would be would more serious, compared to Gotenks vs Super Boo pre absorptions.

-Gotenks can only access SSJ 1, but would be a SSJ 2 tier fighter.

-Gotenks would get ass handed to him, causing him to defuse back into Goten and Trunks.

-Good Boo shows up to fight Gray Boo again, but is bested again.

-Gohan, after training with the Elder Kai, shows up and dominates Gray Boo as a powered up and more powerful version of SSJ 2. Seeing that he can't win, Gray Boo powers up to his full power, but is still outclassed by Gohan.

- Gray Boo then uses his ultimate trump card, and absorbs the souls of the earthlings whom possess evil thoughts and malice in their hearts, causing Boo to reach his ultimate form.

-After transforming Gray Boo and Gohan resume their fight, with Gray Boo having a slight edge over Gohan.

-Seeing how he can’t win, Gohan asks Gotenks, Piccolo, Tien, and Good Boo to stall Gray Boo for 5 minutes, so he can charges up his most powerful Kamehameha Wave.

-After the others stall for time, Gohan fires the Kamehameha Wave at Boo, but is countered by Boo’s Planet Burst (The attack used by Kid Boo to destroy the Earth).

-Still not strong enough to win, Gohan is almost engulf by his own Kamehameha Wave, and Boo’s attack, until Good Boo distracts Gray Boo one last time by wrapping his body around the fiend, allowing Gohan enough time to destroy Gray Boo and Good Boo in the process.

-The Dragon Balls are used to restore peace once again.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:50 am

With Toei's new LQ style of animation these days and seeing how Super is done, I don't really think a reboot is a smart idea they only going to degrade the show.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:27 am

I would not want it to be rebooted, just a few consistency errors fixed and movie stuff (Cooler and Broly) be added. As far as it goes for me, Boo can stay home and Broly replaces him. Boo can appear somehow, but not as last villain like in the manga. Of course "remake" is more of a thing for me. With the exception of something like Boo, for example.

As for GT:
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:58 am

Doctor. wrote:Isn't that more of a retelling rather than a reboot? Reboots tend to be a lot more drastic.
LOL everyone here is posting "What if" scenarios not a total conceptual Reboot of the DB series! i would make DRASTIC changes to the canon for ex:-

> Royal Saiyans do have a higher power level and a special ability(Kinda like Goku's kaio-ken it should make Vegeta unique).
> Zenkai boost only applies to a certain power level after that it just STOPS
> Expand the DB mythos by explaining the Freeza's race and how he came to be the tyrant he is or how Saiyans are genetically compatible with Humans.
> Rewrite Majin Buu so that he actually makes some goddamn sense! starting with his insane regeneration&creation.
> Restrict Dragon balls from brining back people from the dead after one time! this actually brings some damn seriousness to the series not only this means that Goku can't come back from the dead twice but also that Earthlings can't be wished back twice.. everyone stays DEAD!
> Keep the power levels balanced so that human are still relevant and give them special weapons or skills like kaio-ken to make the matter even after goku goes super saiyan(NO Goku dickriding!)

I think i've covered the basics but i'm sure there's a shit ton of stuff that needs to fixed in DB universe... just give the series to a competent writer!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 am

I would reboot it the only way you CAN reboot a series! By making it darker, grittier, more realistic and down to Earth!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 am

The last thing I want is gritty Dragon Ball. The perfect example(s) I can point to are the Rurouni Kenshin re-telling movies/OVAs from a couple years back. There's a sex scene with Shishio and Yumi. This is not what I want out of Kenshin. Ever. At all. WTF were they thinking.

While I'm not necessarily opposed to it, I'm just not that interested in a re-telling/reboot of the story. I'm kinda surprised to hear it out of myself, but I actually really love the idea of the Dragon Ball Heroes universe where all that stuff seemingly happened in the past and it's lore to pull from.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I would reboot it the only way you CAN reboot a series! By making it darker, grittier, more realistic and down to Earth!
Are you sure about the realistic part? Image
IDK about you but DBZ would become a horror anime if it had realistic visuals.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am

For DBZ -

Buu Saga > Saiyan Saga > Freeza Saga > Android Saga

-There are no character deaths until the Saiyan Saga. No Super Saiyan until the Freeza Saga

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:09 am

Rockman X wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I would reboot it the only way you CAN reboot a series! By making it darker, grittier, more realistic and down to Earth!
Are you sure about the realistic part? Image
IDK about you but DBZ would become a horror anime if it had realistic visuals.
I was kidding about the gritty, realism part but some of Kikuchi's songs are pretty suspenseful that I would like to see a realistic looking Cell "animated" as he's chowing down on people in Ginger town before Piccolo arrives with say the Dead Zone music in the background, would be a neat little fan project to see happen.
VegettoEX wrote:While I'm not necessarily opposed to it, I'm just not that interested in a re-telling/reboot of the story. I'm kinda surprised to hear it out of myself, but I actually really love the idea of the Dragon Ball Heroes universe where all that stuff seemingly happened in the past and it's lore to pull from.
That's why I really like Heroes too, it just says everything happened, everything counts no matter how little sense it might make and its having fun with it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:04 pm

When I think of a Dragon Ball reboot, I think of scenarios like this:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:21 pm

I'd like a deconstruction of the series. Doesn't inherently mean it has to be all serious business and gritty (even if some dark bits like the future timeline would be appreciated) but instead it pokes fun at the franchise's tropes and clichés and tries to find ways around it. Or just go and pull a Chrono Cross.

Either that, or start fresh with a new cast.

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:58 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'd like a deconstruction of the series. Doesn't inherently mean it has to be all serious business and gritty (even if some dark bits like the future timeline would be appreciated) but instead it pokes fun at the franchise's tropes and clichés and tries to find ways around it. Or just go and pull a Chrono Cross.
Wait you mean like TFS? they're already doing that.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 pm

A Grant Morrison type deconstruction I think would be amazing but like a lot of his work, really out there and potentially divisive.