Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan has been officially renamed.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan has been officially renamed.

Post by PhoenixEX » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:26 pm

One World. 🌐 🕊

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan has been officially rename

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:32 pm

Yes, this has been discussed for days now in the appropriate places. There has (obviously) been no sign of such a rename occurring in the anime since they aren't there yet, but all merchandise is still using the name Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. So, for the time being, this only applies to Toyotaro's Super manga.

Possibly to save speech bubble space? If that's the only reason, the anime would have no need to do so. Saying Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan each time would just be natural padding for the episodes.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:41 pm

>_> Oh look, they found the only name worse than Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Hmm. Since I don't follow Super, I haven't been following the appropriate threads on the board, so this is the first time I've come across this. Hmm. Well, I can't say it's great, but I'd say it's definitely better than Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. I honestly can't believe that name ever made it past derisive laughing in the boardroom. I'm just glad they actually went out of their way to make a joke about how utterly terrible that name is.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm good with Super Saiyan Blue. It looks like Super Saiyan, only the hair is blue. Says what it is on the can. Still gonna call it Blueper Saiyan, but I'm happy to be rid of that unwieldy ssgss name.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:08 pm

It's still a stupid and pointless transformation no matter what name you give it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Now make it that Super Saiyan God becomes "Saiyan Red" or just "Saiyan God" and I'll be happy. Super Saiyan Gold is still my favourite transformation tough.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:21 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:It's still a stupid and pointless transformation no matter what name you give it.
I don't like blueper saiyan either, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere so I've made my peace with it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Quebaz wrote:Now make it that Super Saiyan God becomes "Saiyan Red" or just "Saiyan God" and I'll be happy. Super Saiyan Gold is still my favourite transformation tough.
The thing is, if Toei had actually planned any of their shit from BOG and beyond, that would have been the case. I'm almost certain that BOG was meant to be a one time thing. Instead, it lead to revival of the franchise in Japan and across the world, and Toei decided to strike when the iron was hot and follow up on BOG and Super Saiyan God with something even more over the top. And Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan became a thing as a result.

In regards to the new name, Super Saiyan Blue still sound stupid. But at this stage, it's the lesser of two evils.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Am I the only one that likes the name?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:37 pm

ABED wrote:Am I the only one that likes the name?
I like it too. It's simple, to the point, and makes sense (not that SSGSS didn't, but it's more confusing). Not sure what the complaints are all about, it's not like "Super" Saiyan or Super Saiyan "2" were any peaks of creativity in the franchise when it came to naming.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:
I like it too. It's simple, to the point, and makes sense (not that SSGSS didn't, but it's more confusing). Not sure what the complaints are all about, it's not like "Super" Saiyan or Super Saiyan "2" were any peaks of creativity in the franchise when it came to naming.
Super Saiyan is creative in its simplicity.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Super Saiyan Blue, but I do know it's at least simpler than Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, and that's something to be happy about regardless. Thing is though, we still don't know if it's actually going to stick or if it's a joke at the actual name's expense. It could go either way at this point, honestly - we've yet to actually have 'Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan' stated in the anime proper, so it could be replaced easily enough. At the same time though, in this day and age of the internet, we've already had a while to get used to SSGSS for better or worse, so for it to get renamed now, especially with some recent video games using the name, could be a bit messy.

If nothing else, even if it does get re-named, I'll bet we'll still see SSGSS used in fan circles at least, similarly to how we'll never be 100% freed from 'Bills'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:55 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Super Saiyan is creative in its simplicity.
I would also add that having a number after it was an effective--yes, simplistic, but effective--way of indicating just how powerful the various Super Saiyan forms are in relation to each other. "Super Saiyan God" implies a God-like power, for that matter.

"Super Saiyan Blue," though? It doesn't really say anything other than what color the hair turns to. That'd be like naming the first Super Saiyan form, "Super Saiyan Blonde." So to be honest, I'm not digging the new name just because of how little it says. As laughably over-the-top as I found the name, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan," and as stupid as I thought that name sounded, I think this new name topped it.

It also sets a bad precedent going forward. Just wait until we get to "Super Saiyan Purple."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KonohaKillas

Post by KonohaKillas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:56 pm

I would have liked Saiyan God for red and Super Saiyan God for blue. I would love if the English dub for the anime went that route.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:58 pm

KonohaKillas wrote:I would have liked Saiyan God for red and Super Saiyan God for blue. I would love if the English dub for the anime went that route.
Well, I think the English dub should stick to Japan's naming scheme, regardless of whether it's good or bad. Having said that, I do wish Toriyama went that route, I actually really like that naming structure.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:59 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
KonohaKillas wrote:I would have liked Saiyan God for red and Super Saiyan God for blue. I would love if the English dub for the anime went that route.
Well, I think the English dub should stick to Japan's naming scheme, regardless of whether it's good or bad. Having said that, I do wish Toriyama went that route, I actually really like that naming structure.
Yeah, it would have made a lot more sense to go with Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God, in retrospect, but sadly nobody knew where things would be heading at that point, so we were doomed from the start really.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KonohaKillas

Post by KonohaKillas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Everything you have just said seems perfectly reasonable, I pretty much agree. Although a guilty part of me still would like a change in naming for the sake of how much better I think it fits.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Why couldn't it just be Super Saiyan God. That's it. It's super saiyan with godly powers. Whatever nothing we can do about it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:12 pm

I don't like it. But I don't dislike it either. I prefer it over Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Very simple and works. I just wish they renamed Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Red. You know, for consistency. Then again, SSJG tends to be magenta at times...O_o

Even better, SSJG should have been Super Saiyan God Red and SSGSS should have been Super Saiyan God Blue. Whoo hoo.

Or, or...best of all, SSJG should have been Saiyan God and SSGSS should have been Super Saiyan God! =D
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super