Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:56 pm

The assumption is you have to see a large percentage of it to draw a valid conclusion. In most cases yes, but with DBZA, no. It's a very specific instance. The show follows DBZ's basic plot and characters. I've seen all of DBZ, the ocean and funi dub, so I get the references. The big difference is the dialog and the jokes.

It's like Seinfeld, if you see 5% of the show, I think you can get a pretty accurate reading on its quality. That's 9 episodes and if you pick the right episodes, I think anyone can get a good idea if it's a show for them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm

One of the new Gods of Destruction is named "Iwan" because it's a rearrangement of "wain" (as in wine), but everyone calls him "Ivan" because of an arbitrary decision one of the fan translators decided to make.
Yes I'm partially calling out Kanzenshuu here.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Why are you calling out Kanzenshuu? Did any of its translators come up with that non-sense?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Why are you calling out Kanzenshuu? Did any of its translators come up with that non-sense?
The Kanzenshuu site lists him as Ivan/Iwen (イワン iwan). I don't know much about the translations, but it looks like they haven't decided yet to me.
Retired.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm only collectively calling out Kanzenshuu because I don't know who's responsible in particular.
To be fair for some reason Russian words in the past WERE for some reason transcribed with the "w" sound where a "v" is (rather than the usual "b") into Japanese (like their spelling of vodka, ォッカ, the name Vladimir, ラジーミル, and so on), so maybe that's their reasoning but it was still somewhat arbitrary. More revised Russian transcriptions use the letter ヴ. It's an anagram of wine, no doubt about it.
On a side note "Iwan" is the Polish spelling of Ivan but it's still pronounced "eevan" like in any other Slavic language.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 pm

The whole shit meme "When you're Zamas and your Zero Mortal Plan fails, but the real Goku finishes it" nonsense. Black/Zamasu weren't going to destroy the planets, more over the universes and Goku isn't going either, it's the Omni-King's decision to do so.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:47 pm

All of the human characters besides Bulma being irrelevant by the Buu saga

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Bringing this over from a different thread...

When people bring up their "Foe" list. I find it quite unnecessary to let everyone know who you add to it or how many people are on it, and quite frankly, it annoys me (I don't hold anything against the person for it, of course).
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Bringing this over from a different thread...

When people bring up their "Foe" list. I find it quite unnecessary to let everyone know who you add to it or how many people are on it, and quite frankly, it annoys me (I don't hold anything against the person for it, of course).
We have a foe list?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Kanassa wrote:

We have a foe list?
I don't see the purpose. You are cutting yourself out of the discussion on a website that is all about discussion.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:33 am

PelicanDynasty wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

We have a foe list?
I don't see the purpose. You are cutting yourself out of the discussion on a website that is all about discussion.
I foe people when (IMO) their posts don't add to the discussion, or I just don't like reading their posts, and having it not show up makes it easier for me. There have been cases where I did because I was being a dick head, and did it because I disagreed with their opinions, but I've moved past that.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:02 pm

When people complain about goku black eyeliner in the manga, honestly that's a stupid complaint there,because we all know design≠character.
Mostly active on discord.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:14 pm

The gr wrote:When people complain about goku black eyeliner in the manga, honestly that's a stupid complaint there,because we all know design≠character.
I personally love the eyeliner.It makes Goku Black seem more sinister than he already is & it's also a cool throwback to Majin Vegeta,a supposed evil version of Vegeta.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Goku being called a "sociopath". I've seen this word being tossed around too much recently when people have been trying to articulate what Goku's current characterisation in Super is, and it annoys the fuck out of me how nonchalantly people use that term. Seriously, do some fucking research of what it means to be a "sociopath" before you actually label someone that. It's not a word that should be used lightly.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku being called a "sociopath". I've seen this word being tossed around too much recently when people have been trying to articulate what Goku's current characterisation in Supe is, and it annoys the fuck out of me how nonchalantly people use that term. Seriously, do some fucking research of what it means to be a "sociopath" before you actually label someone that. It's not a word that should be used lightly.
That reminds me of another gear grinder, the notion that you can't have a protagonist who does morally wrong things (This is more general than Dragon Ball specific) because it means they're unlikable. A character not being in-sync with your morals doesn't make them unlikable, it only means that you can't like them on a moral level. Likeability includes more factors than simply if they're a good person or not, or anti-heroes wouldn't be so popular.

Take the Joker for instance, a completely morally reprehensible character, but extremely likeable. He's abusive, petty and has increased the population of orphans by the hundreds, but that doesn't take away from his entertainment value. With the right writer, you could easily have a story with him as a protagonist simply because he's the type of character who's so crazy that you kind of want to see him succeed just to see what he'll do next (Again, if written right).

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:41 pm

The "GOKU SUXS NOW" threads, and the flood of posts like, "GOKOU WAS ALWAYS LIKE THAT YA DUMBO". I'm gonna quote Gaffer on this one, because that really isn't true.
I'm going to go against the grain here, methinks. I'm not a fan of the "hope of the universe" Goku. Even the movie Toei Goku can get a bit outside of the character at times. But I honestly feel the accidental hero, selfish manchild aspect is far too overstated as well. Maybe it's fans pulling against FUNimation's depictions. Maybe it's Toriyama pulling against Toei's depictions. But Goku is (or was at least) very selflessly heroic. I think he, unfortunately, became less so over time as he began inheriting "Saiyan" characteristics that were then claimed to have always been there. But remember this is a guy who abandons his epic quest without hesitation to carry a sea turtle back to his home, with no thought of reward or expectation of fighting, just because it's the right thing to do. He finishes gathering all the Dragon Balls, even the ones he doesn't care about, just to bring an innocent man back to life. Yes, he is driven by battle. Yes, he is simple and is often motivated by his own desires. Yes, he can often make reckless decisions. No, he does not live by an overt code or sit in the Hall of Justice waiting to battle the Legion of Doom. And I love all of those things about him. But that's not all Goku is at all, and it pains me that he continues to be pushed further in that direction as the years go on.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Goku being called a "sociopath". I've seen this word being tossed around too much recently when people have been trying to articulate what Goku's current characterisation in Supe is, and it annoys the fuck out of me how nonchalantly people use that term. Seriously, do some fucking research of what it means to be a "sociopath" before you actually label someone that. It's not a word that should be used lightly.
That reminds me of another gear grinder, the notion that you can't have a protagonist who does morally wrong things (This is more general than Dragon Ball specific) because it means they're unlikable. A character not being in-sync with your morals doesn't make them unlikable, it only means that you can't like them on a moral level. Likeability includes more factors than simply if they're a good person or not, or anti-heroes wouldn't be so popular.

Take the Joker for instance, a completely morally reprehensible character, but extremely likeable. He's abusive, petty and has increased the population of orphans by the hundreds, but that doesn't take away from his entertainment value. With the right writer, you could easily have a story with him as a protagonist simply because he's the type of character who's so crazy that you kind of want to see him succeed just to see what he'll do next (Again, if written right).
Beyond that I think characters just have to be interesting, not necessarily likeable. Likeability is a good quality to have, especially in a hero, but as you say, to limit that to always doing the right thing is narrow-minded.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Another problem is people confuse sociopathy and psychopathy a lot. In that vein, pretty much all Saiyajins have sociopathic traits. That doesn't make them sociopaths.

For comparison's sake:

Psychopaths are cool, calculating and clean. They premeditate what they're going to do before they do it. They have zero empathy and don't feel guilty if they hurt somebody.

Sociopaths are impulsive, reckless and sloppy. They don't premeditate what they're going to do, they make it up as they go along. They have empathy and feel guilty if they hurt somebody they're close to.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psycho ... _Sociopath
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

Beyond that I think characters just have to be interesting, not necessarily likeable. Likeability is a good quality to have, especially in a hero, but as you say, to limit that to always doing the right thing is narrow-minded.
I would say that in this context, being likeable and being interesting are the same.

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Kanassa wrote:

Ditto, this whole idea that a character has to be likable for you to get invested or interested in them is total horseshit. Especially because you've got really famous examples like John Constantine, Elric of Melnibone and yes, Goku, who are far from paragons of virtue and who's most interesting stuff comes from the fact they're really flawed people.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):