Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by The gr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Whoa, are we acting like Gohan at the start of the Boo arc isn't fantastic ?
No he is saying that people still believe on that ridiculous rumour
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It's the start of the whole "Saiyans love battles so they'll do stupid things to have a good one". It's a cop out writing wise that's just sadly now till this day so over used.
?
Yeah that trend is overused, I was ok with it in the Saiyan saga but damn they cross the line in the cell and buu saga,this stupid trait also ruined cell
Mostly active on discord.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
The gr wrote:Yup This is sums up why the cell saga is my least favorite,is that the main cast hold idiot ball too much and I Also hated it because vegeta was at it's worse here.
It's the start of the whole "Saiyans love battles so they'll do stupid things to have a good one". It's a cop out writing wise that's just sadly now till this day so over used.
ABED wrote:Letting the cyborgs be created isn't dumb. I wish you guys would pick another adjective. They weren't out to save the world. The aim was to have a good fight.
Then why where they getting pissy when humans were dying then? Surely by that logic they shouldn't care?
It's not a cop out. It's who those characters are and who they always were. And the Cell arc is NOT the start of the Saiyans doing RECKLESS things for the sake of a good fight.

Are you actually asking for my opinion? Do you really think they are out to save the world? They are reckless, but they aren't dumb. They want a good fight, but they aren't malicious. Goku doesn't want to see innocents die, but that doesn't stop him from doing dangerous things like letting Vegeta and Piccolo go for the sake of a fight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The Android/Cell arc. It is so bad writing wise, the entire arc only happens and gets elongated because the main cast are written like total f**cking idiots. Some being stupidly selfish to foolishly horny for god sake Krillin she kissed you big whoop keep it in your pants the entire Eath rests on you, eurgh.
The whole premise of the Android Saga is dumb and completely nonsensical, the original timeline where everyone dies and stays dead never made sense, when there is a second set of DragonBalls(that don't have a limit to how many times someone can be resurrected), that is a phone call away with King Kai's help, and one day revivals with Baba's, but both of these characters fell into a plothole.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:35 pm

The gr wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Whoa, are we acting like Gohan at the start of the Boo arc isn't fantastic ?
No he is saying that people still believe on that ridiculous rumour
Oh that makes sense. Cause even if you dislike Gohan, the early parts of the Boo saga with him are great.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's the start of the whole "Saiyans love battles so they'll do stupid things to have a good one". It's a cop out writing wise that's just sadly now till this day so over used.
Exhibit A: Goku goes to Zen-oh to get the Tournament of Power started

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 am

I'm sure my posts can indicate me as a Super fan boy but I can't help but feel that, despite Super not giving us that 110% I would like it to bring, that what the majority of the fan base would have done with it or preferred to happen would have been worse with what we got. I feel like a lot of people are deep in the "well I SHOULD be feeling...this SHOULD have..." and its like no no no no buddy, Goku shouldn't need a transformation that looks over designed like AF's Super Saiyan 5 design just because its more unique than SSB being a Super Saiyan with blue hair or trying to apply common sense in our world human logic to a comic / cartoon with aliens with different nature to our world logic. Just because its more creative design wise or what some big youtube name thinks doesn't mean you SHOULD agree to it. I'm not saying people should HAVE to like with what we're getting, even I have my own personal changes but just because its different don't mean its good.

Re-reading it over and over I know it doesn't nail my thought as I want it to be and can sound contradictory and confusing so I'm sorry but had to get it off my chest.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's the start of the whole "Saiyans love battles so they'll do stupid things to have a good one". It's a cop out writing wise that's just sadly now till this day so over used.
Exhibit A: Goku goes to Zen-oh to get the Tournament of Power started
How is that an example? Goku isn't doing anything stupid, the consequences there were unintentional and even then made the situation better.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 am

Pickle_Jar wrote:Hello! I'm a fan who's in her 30's. I got into DBZ in early 2000 and the nostalgic side of me is tickled green about Dragon Ball Super. I've been watching the subbed version on kissanime.

I couldn't figure out where to make my first post, so I decided to voice something I've had on my mind for more than a decade.

Chris Sabat's Piccolo voice bothers me. I got into DBZ via the Ocean dub early in 2000, and somewhere in the Freeza saga it wasn't Ocean anymore.

Chris Sabat's Piccolo sounds like a deeper version of his Vegeta. This is nothing against Sabat-- he's talented, and I think his Vegeta voice is suitable for the character. I'd say he and Brian Drummond are tied in my mind in terms of who's good at voicing Vegeta.

But his Piccolo...it doesn't work for me. I've given Sabat's Piccolo 10+ years, and I can't reconcile it. The voice and the character's (very green) face don't fit for me.

To me, Scott McNeil is Piccolo, hands-down. I miss Piccolo's deep, demonic growl and epic death metal power up screams that made me truly believe he was dangerous even as a "good guy".

Giving me Piccolo with somebody besides Scott McNeil voicing him is like trying to sell me the Michael Bay Transformers movies or Transformers: Prime with somebody other than Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime. Other actors have voiced the boss bot in other versions of Transformers and did great at it, there's something about the way Peter Cullen does it that makes you go "everything's fine here."

I feel like that with McNeil's version of Piccolo. Even now, to this day, I mentally play back an old Piccolo line when I'm scared or uncertain: "Don't worry, kid, I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." Nobody can deliver that line the way McNeil did.

Sorry for the ramble!

:wave:
While I prefer McNeil's Piccolo, I don't find Sabat's Piccolo that bad. He's definitely improved a lot since Kai. Now he doesn't have that ogre-like voice.

Peter Cullen has one of the best voices of all time. I could listen to him all day.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bear

Post by Bear » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 am

The levels against Vegeta in ALL the video games
The fact that I will never be able to watch an uncut, uncropped version of the series in Japanese, without shelling out 1000s of dollars
No good redub
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:41 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Pickle_Jar wrote:Hello! I'm a fan who's in her 30's. I got into DBZ in early 2000 and the nostalgic side of me is tickled green about Dragon Ball Super. I've been watching the subbed version on kissanime.

I couldn't figure out where to make my first post, so I decided to voice something I've had on my mind for more than a decade.

Chris Sabat's Piccolo voice bothers me. I got into DBZ via the Ocean dub early in 2000, and somewhere in the Freeza saga it wasn't Ocean anymore.

Chris Sabat's Piccolo sounds like a deeper version of his Vegeta. This is nothing against Sabat-- he's talented, and I think his Vegeta voice is suitable for the character. I'd say he and Brian Drummond are tied in my mind in terms of who's good at voicing Vegeta.

But his Piccolo...it doesn't work for me. I've given Sabat's Piccolo 10+ years, and I can't reconcile it. The voice and the character's (very green) face don't fit for me.

To me, Scott McNeil is Piccolo, hands-down. I miss Piccolo's deep, demonic growl and epic death metal power up screams that made me truly believe he was dangerous even as a "good guy".

Giving me Piccolo with somebody besides Scott McNeil voicing him is like trying to sell me the Michael Bay Transformers movies or Transformers: Prime with somebody other than Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime. Other actors have voiced the boss bot in other versions of Transformers and did great at it, there's something about the way Peter Cullen does it that makes you go "everything's fine here."

I feel like that with McNeil's version of Piccolo. Even now, to this day, I mentally play back an old Piccolo line when I'm scared or uncertain: "Don't worry, kid, I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." Nobody can deliver that line the way McNeil did.

Sorry for the ramble!

While I prefer McNeil's Piccolo, I don't find Sabat's Piccolo that bad. He's definitely improved a lot since Kai. Now he doesn't have that ogre-like voice.

Peter Cullen has one of the best voices of all time. I could listen to him all day.
But still it sounds like a Deeper version of his Vegeta that anyone can tell that it's Sabat.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:52 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Sorry for the ramble!

But still it sounds like a Deeper version of his Vegeta that anyone can tell that it's Sabat.
Not really. Sabat's Piccolo voice since Kai is closer to his natural voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: While I prefer McNeil's Piccolo, I don't find Sabat's Piccolo that bad. He's definitely improved a lot since Kai. Now he doesn't have that ogre-like voice.

But still it sounds like a Lower pitched version of His Vegeta and its very easy to tell they have the same voice actor but atleast Acting is good.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
But still it sounds like a Lower pitched version of His Vegeta and its very easy to tell they have the same voice actor but atleast Acting is good.
While it's easy to tell Sabat voices them both, not really. Sabat's Vegeta tends to have a regal tone at times while his Piccolo doesn't.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Not really. Sabat's Piccolo voice since Kai is closer to his natural voice.
While it's easy to tell Sabat voices them both, not really. Sabat's Vegeta tends to have a regal tone at times while his Piccolo doesn't.
Yes nowdays atleast he can differentiate well compared to Z Dub in the Context of Speaking tone.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Yeah.

Although, as a side-note, I'd like to add that in my opinion, the majority of the problem with Kaio's voice is the way Schemmel plays it; I always thought Don Brown's Kaio voice from the Ocean dub, despite being very similar to Sean Schemmel's, is actually a lot better, and lacks many of Schemmel's interpretation's failings.
I think most people, even the ones who prefer the Funimation dub, would agree with you that Brown's Kaio is far better than Schemmel's. Schemmel is getting better as Goku, but as Kaio, he's not improving, not even a little.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:

Although, as a side-note, I'd like to add that in my opinion, the majority of the problem with Kaio's voice is the way Schemmel plays it; I always thought Don Brown's Kaio voice from the Ocean dub, despite being very similar to Sean Schemmel's, is actually a lot better, and lacks many of Schemmel's interpretation's failings.
I think most people, even the ones who prefer the Funimation dub, would agree with you that Brown's Kaio is far better than Schemmel's. Schemmel is getting better as Goku, but as Kaio, no.
Doesn't have shit on Malaysian Kaio though, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCUeJ7d_MU sheer perfection. I'm SRS he does have a good voice.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:03 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

I think most people, even the ones who prefer the Funimation dub, would agree with you that Brown's Kaio is far better than Schemmel's. Schemmel is getting better as Goku, but as Kaio, no.
Doesn't have shit on Malaysian Kaio though, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCUeJ7d_MU sheer perfection. I'm SRS he does have a good voice.
I love the Malaysian dub. So bad, yet so funny...

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:06 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I think most people, even the ones who prefer the Funimation dub, would agree with you that Brown's Kaio is far better than Schemmel's. Schemmel is getting better as Goku, but as Kaio, no.
What I'm saying is that Malaysian Kaio sounds kinda like Yanami so I like it, everyone else is terrible though.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Doesn't have shit on Malaysian Kaio though, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCUeJ7d_MU sheer perfection. I'm SRS he does have a good voice.
What I'm saying is that Malaysian Kaio sounds kinda like Yanami so I like it, everyone else is terrible though.
He might sound like Yanami, but he doesn't have the acting talent that Yanami has.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:34 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I love the Malaysian dub. So bad, yet so funny...
He might sound like Yanami, but he doesn't have the acting talent that Yanami has.
Obviously :lol: