Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Piccolo merging with Kami was cool and the fight between him and 17 was a great moment, but he doesn't affect the outcome of the story.
The Artificial Human/Cell arc brought all of these recurring characters back and gave them relevance, and not just in a fighting capacity. They had good use of screentime from beginning to conclusion as each contributed in some form.
For instance?
Toriyama changed his writing style to focus more on the secondary characters.
I don't think he did. Secondary characters always got plenty of focus in DB, and it's not about quantity, it's about quality.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:
rereboy wrote:Falling much more into irrelevance is not the same as having no relevance at all.
Relevance shouldn't be looked at under just a fighting lens.
I'm not talking exclusively about a fighting lens. I'm talking about every single aspect.

Those characters, even when they basically become irrelevant fighting-wise, they don't find very significant relevance in other aspects. In the Cell arc, Piccolo is temporally relevant thanks to his fusion, Krillin gets a moment of focus due to the switch-off remote and #18, and Tenshinhan gets his shin-Kikoho moment and that's about it. The Buu arc is even worse.

Therefore, there's a significant contrast between those arcs and the previous arcs, namely DB and the saiyan and Namek arc.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:25 pm

While some of the older cast falls out of relevance in the Buu arc, new support characters do become relevant. Goten and Trunks, and to a certain degree Mr. Satan and Dende all have important story roles.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:27 pm

LuckyCat wrote:While some of the older cast falls out of relevance in the Buu arc, new support characters do become relevant. Goten and Trunks, and to a certain degree Mr. Satan and Dende all have important story roles.
Goten and Trunks get plenty of screen time, but it amounts to little beyond a few funny moments. Mr. Satan is the only one out of that list that I feel was utilized well and in a very surprising manner. He was given a great character arc.

Maybe this is a little hypocritical, I don't know, but it grinds my gears that the artificial separation of DB has lead to DB vs. DBZ debates. It's all DB and I don't think DBZ changes things any more than DB changed things throughout its run.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:32 pm

ABED wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:While some of the older cast falls out of relevance in the Buu arc, new support characters do become relevant. Goten and Trunks, and to a certain degree Mr. Satan and Dende all have important story roles.
Goten and Trunks get plenty of screen time, but it amounts to little beyond a few funny moments. Mr. Satan is the only one out of that list that I feel was utilized well and in a very surprising manner. He was given a great character arc.
Goten and Trunks get screwed over because Toriyama can't keep them straight, there are moments where they legitimately seem to want to take the thing seriously but he wants them to be the comedic duo (even as Gotenks) so Goten and Trunks wanting revenge on Boo doesn't mean anything for longer than a moment.

It's especially bad in the anime (even in Kai) where it goes out of its way to reinforce this desire for them to get good at this fighting stuff and crush Boo only for them to keep goofing around.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Comedy undercuts tension, which is great if done at the right time in the right manner, but in this case it wasn't. Regardless, the story is what it is.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:43 pm

ABED wrote:
The Artificial Human/Cell arc brought all of these recurring characters back and gave them relevance, and not just in a fighting capacity. They had good use of screentime from beginning to conclusion as each contributed in some form.
For instance?
The secondary characters were all seen deliberating on how best to attempt to go about handling the Artificial Humans/Cell situation all while Goku was out of commission. Were they irrelevant in their actions during that long stretch? They did what they could.They didn't go hide and wait for Goku to wake up. They were being proactive while Piccolo was the most capable in battle, and even Yamucha helping to track down Imperfect Cell. Then it shifted when Vegeta and F.Trunks emerged. When Goku and Gohan had emerged from the RoSaT, along with also having Vegeta's and F.Trunks power to take on Perfect Cell, they didn't go into seclusion. They showed up in support knowing the potential high risks, and ended up even attempting to go down fighting. That's relevant enough for me. They remained present throughout.

A characters role/relevancy shouldn't need to be measured by final outcome of win/loss. It's an accumulation of the entire story. All arcs of DB/Z ultimately build toward Goku VS Big Bad. The entire Namek arc had several characters at Kaio's planet during the entire run in a non-fighting capacity -- how is that being more relevant (according to final outcome) than being active in the field against major threats in the Cell arc? With antagonists all beyond SSJ, all things considered, I think that the secondary group gave a good showing...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Not a single one of those characters has an affect on the outcome of the story. Had they not been there, Cell would've still reached his perfect form. Goku and Gohan are the only two who affect the outcome. Okay, Vegeta helps by distracting Cell long enough for Gohan to destroy him, but before then, Cell was going to become perfect with or without him. I like that they are proactive in looking for Cell, but it doesn't help. They don't find him or even impede his progress. Trunks tells Goku about the Cyborgs, but after that, he doesn't do much in the present. His best moment and most cathartic moment is when he saves his timeline, other than that, he doesn't help out much.
They remained present throughout.
Yeah, they are just kind of there, but they don't amount to much and provide few great moments. The one stand out moments from the supporting characters is the filler moment where they try and help out even though they know it won't amount to much, but they do so because they love Goku and his son.

In the Freeza arc, Kuririn and Gohan are able to affect the outcome of the story. Without them, either Freeza or Vegeta would've gotten their wish.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm

ABED, I kinda get where your view is coming from. It's about the journey, not the destination. But... you know that.

Everything that I type is coming from the view of the anime adaptation.

Kuririn and Gohan had no relevancy on Namek if we're going to chalk it up to outcome. Let's just skip ahead to Goku VS ??? from the Piccolo Daimao arc onwards because the secondary units efforts didn't make a dent in final outcome. It was revealed that the incantation to summon Porunga could only be made in the native language, so the entire race for the DB scenario on Namek was pointless padding in the end, for all involved. Kuririn's entire relevancy on Namek ended up as being a catalyst, just as Yamucha's, Chaozu's, Tenshinhan's, and Piccolo's deaths in the Saiyajin arc. Relevancy through death. Although all of their struggles didn't matter when it needed to, they contributed to the story in their own way, which builds character.

Relevancy through death didn't happen during the Artificial Human/Cell arc, unless we count the future timeline acting as a catalyst for F.Trunks coming to the present. Cell had outwitted all of the good guys at every turn. The scenario was entirely different, and the escalation of threats had increased many times over from the Namek arc. Cell himself had previous knowledge of everyone that he was up against and knew all of their techniques. This required an entirely different way of approaching the big bad, as well as making attempted use of the B-team -- how were their wasted efforts here any different than in any arc starting at Piccolo Daimao? Goku VS Perfect Cell is a highlight fight in the entire story, but it affected nothing about outcome. Gohan could've just been thrown at Cell from the start of the tournament = same outcome, but then the moments with Goku demonstrating to his son, #16, and understanding Gohan's character wouldn't have happened.

The point was to show us why these characters and their world matter to eachother, and seeing Piccolo and co. take action against the Artificial Humans/Cell served to strengthen the bond and the history that was there. Piccolo, for example, had a possibility to disable #17 which could've affected the final outcome had Cell not interfered. #16 could've affected the outcome as well, but Piccolo's regen kept Cell going more than once. F.Trunks arriving at the start gave the good guys a chance to prepare for oncoming threats, but it also allowed for an even bigger threat to appear as a result. I liked how the good guys efforts would bring them two steps forward, but then it would go three steps back against them. That doesn't mean that being actively involved in their screentime (which they had plenty of) was for nothing. It goes back to building character. Vegeta had a necessary run through the gauntlet of humility because his SSJ ability amped up his character traits x10, and his moment in aiding Gohan at the end is standout for the entire series.

As far as anyone not Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan in the Boo arc, there was a noticeable change in active involvement from Piccolo and co. Several other characters were introduced and filled those spots. The Cell arc was more in-line with the previous arcs, and it was refreshing to have everyone actually alive and involved.

It grinds my gears that the Cell arc gets so much mixed to negative criticisms. There's so much good throughout the story, especially once #17, #18, and #16 are activated. It's aged very well thanks to its original overall presentation and all-around use of characters, imo.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 pm

That the Ocean dub of Kai hasn't come out yet. I just want to hear Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil and Saffron Henderson again.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Kuririn and Gohan had no relevancy on Namek if we're going to chalk it up to outcome.
Yeah they do. If they aren't there, Dende's dead and Freeza probably gets his wish. Him or Vegeta. Surely one of them could've made someone talk. Even assuming they didn't get their wish, neither would the Earthlings. Piccolo and everyone else would've stayed dead. It's amazing you consider that padding, but not most of the Cell arc. Piccolo merges with Kami, but nothing comes of it. Without Piccolo, Kuririn and Gohan and Vegeta are dead. The arc begins with them going to Namek to wish their friends back. If they aren't there, they don't achieve that goal.
The point was to show us why these characters and their world matter to eachother
You can do that without having 100 instances of "wow, we got a power up, shit, so did the bad guy". There are only so many times you can do that before it becomes redundant and not a good reversal. Their supposed different ways of approaching the big bad amounted to nothing. Cell was ultimately defeated the same way the others were - overwhelming force.
how were their wasted efforts here any different than in any arc starting at Piccolo Daimao
The sheer number of them and the length of the arc. Besides Tenshinhan and Yajirobe did help out. Both saved Goku's life and Goku wouldn't have gotten to the top of Karin Tower without Yajirobe.
I liked how the good guys efforts would bring them two steps forward, but then it would go three steps back against them
Reversals can be good, but do it too much and becomes redundant and boring. Are you really claiming those same sort of efforts aren't present in the Freeza arc?

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:08 pm

ABED wrote:It's amazing you consider that padding, but not most of the Cell arc.
I don't consider it padding, I used that term in the context of final outcome. Freeza and Vegeta both were not getting their wish after the reveal of the language barrier by any means, so that side of it didn't matter. I'm not disputing that the events of the Namek arc amounted to nothing, because I know that gathering the DB's was the goal. Saving Dende was the key, I agree. Kuririn and Gohan's efforts on Namek had payoff. Piccolo and co. efforts during the Cell arc have to be taken into context. The threat level was too much for anyone to take on until a certain point, and the narrative ebbed and flowed along. I'm fine with their not being a heavy payoff with Piccolo and co. because it was about giving character moments, strengthening bonds, and taking into consideration the history that is there, otherwise they become cardboard to stick in the background. Yamucha was useful in removing Goku from harms way which led to a whole chain of events occurring from there. That small contribution directly impacted the final outcome way later down the line, as minor a blip that it seemed at the time (after Yamucha was near-death a short while before that).
Piccolo merges with Kami, but nothing comes of it.
In the short term, it directly had an impact on Cell's maneuvering and later led to Cell finding #17. Many actions that took place had an inadvertent negative effect, which was a bit different from previous arcs. And then Vegeta's actions added insult to injury on top of that which went in Cell's favor. Things spiraled out of control in spite of their efforts. A good example of "too many cooks in the kitchen". Cell took advantage of every little opportunity. The characters doing more harm for their cause than good is probably a major reason that many take issue with the narrative, but that's one of the strengths that I find about it. They were warned, became exponentially stronger, and things still turned out nearly as bad as the future timeline.
You can do that without having 100 instances of "wow, we got a power up, shit, so did the bad guy". There are only so many times you can do that before it becomes redundant and not a good reversal.Their supposed different ways of approaching the big bad amounted to nothing. Cell was ultimately defeated the same way the others were - overwhelming force.
I don't know how that it is held negatively against the Cell arc. There were more players involved to add some twists and keep things interesting. It wasn't any more overdone as it was with Freeza saying, "Well, I've got even more transformations than my first two. And, I've only been using ??% of my final forms full power. And if that all fails, I can blow up the planet and survive in space in partial physical state too". Piccolo and the Saiyajins getting powerups is not a bad thing, imo, and was presented dramatically. Piccolo's arc came full circle.
Reversals can be good, but do it too much and becomes redundant and boring.
I think the Boo arc suffers more from that. I felt that the Cell arc had good balance, all things considered.

Just to be clear, I like everything in DB/Z consistently until the Boo arc. The Boo arc I'm more 60/40 or 70/30 on. While this has gone kinda back-and-forth, I actually agree with most of what you're saying. The lengthy arcs are a lot to take in when attempting to discuss degree of character relevancy. The series escalated all the time and use of character can get lost in the shuffle with so many things happening, which has made me more fond of the Cell arc as years have passed. It's probably my favorite to revisit for reasons not completely clear to me, but it's mostly about how it goes back through the accumulation of the DB story and its characters. :/

I really don't mean to type so much. :p

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:14 pm

I don't think the character moments you are talking about in the Cell arc were there as much as you say nor did they amount to much. Yamcha removing Goku wasn't a character moment. Gohan saving Dende was neccessary for the plot AND a character moment. Gohan is often ruled by his emotions, so he would be the one to step in and save a stranger.
In the short term
In the long term as well.
Piccolo's arc came full circle.
His reunion is little more than a power up. It's not really a character arc. His arc was complete when he gave his life to save Gohan. I agree that Freeza's transformations were overdone, but his ability to survive in the vacuum of space provided some drama as it was the source of his strategy to destroy the planet and live while his enemy dies.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 am

ABED wrote:I don't think the character moments you are talking about in the Cell arc were there as much as you say nor did they amount to much.
Everyone played a role, for better or worse, and to varying degree. Maybe not the definition of standout moment, but I was throwing Yamucha a cookie. He didn't need to be at the scene after being near-death a little bit before, but he shot over there anyway to inform everyone. It did amount to something, as well as the other characters (Kuririn, F.Trunks) helping to relocate out-of-commission Goku. The element of an outside plot device (the Dragon Balls) to aid a characters relevancy wasn't an option -- the threat(s) were being confronted directly, all while keeping Goku out of the way. He had always come through, now it was their turn to pull some weight in what ever way they could. What mattered was the history between them and their use in the plot, which re-enforced comradery in dire situations in an arc that was more complicated than previous arcs. It was an ongoing part of that narrative until the conclusion. You can't simply remove them completely (Bulma included) and allow the arc to play out as is.

Kuririn and Gohan's role on Namek was great. One of the first things that pops in my head is Piccolo's blindside Superkick!! on Freeza. There was no payoff with the Genki-dama, but Goku continued on to battle it out 'til the end. One moment can make a world of difference, as was with saving Dende which had beautiful payoff by the end.
His reunion is little more than a power up. It's not really a character arc.
The Earth Dragon Balls were lost in the process as well. They went all in with that gamble at a time when there was little to no certainty.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 pm

It did amount to something
It didn't. If it did, I think you are lowering the bar for important moments. Why do you consider moving Goku or taking him off the battlefield such important moments? Compare those to how Piccolo, Gohan, and Kuririn were used in the Saiyan arc and none of them survive. In the Cell arc, any of the characters could've moved Goku and nothing would've changed. The moments you mentioned are so small they are practically insignificant.
There was no payoff with the Genki-dama
No, but it was a nice reversal/false finish when Freeza is still alive.
The Earth Dragon Balls were lost in the process as well.
Fair point, but one that was VERY easily rectified and not some great cause for concern. If Piccolo doesn't fuse with Kami the arc still plays out the same way. Cell still reaches his perfect form.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:50 pm

ABED wrote:

Maybe this is a little hypocritical, I don't know, but it grinds my gears that the artificial separation of DB has lead to DB vs. DBZ debates. It's all DB and I don't think DBZ changes things any more than DB changed things throughout its run.

One thing I find about the Buu saga is that, due to it's events happening in such a short time frame, many significant events happen just in the nick of time. And I think you could argue that they all hinge around Goten and Trunks.

Their action of rescuing Vegeta from Buu leads to the conflict with him and the Majin lasting a while longer before his sacrifice, then some further time for Buu to regenerate afterwards.

All of this would mean that Buu would begin his world wide rampage sooner than before. This would result in the boys being conscious sooner. Maybe it would mean that Goku would get the dragon radar sooner/ wouldn't need to showcase super saiyan 3 to stall for time. if Goku never fought Buu he wouldn't have the idea of rebelling and then his friendship with satan wouldn't happen putting the arc to play out differently.

Alternatively Goku could still decide to stall Buu, but Goten and Trunks need no time to recover. This would mean that mostly everything would play out similar. Except that the events would be brought forward slightly so that as Goten and Trunks defuse, the elder Kai hasn't yet had time to finish his ritual. so maybe Goten and Trunks get wiped out then. Maybe Buu just decides to blow up earth sooner.

Or another alternative is that they have extra time to perfect their fusion.

Dende also has one crucial moment really in healing Gohan, without that Super Buu would've murdered him by that stage. That would mean that there'd be no need for Vegito as Gotenks would unfuse inside. But then perhaps we'd end up seeing a Buugeta fight Goku or something.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Fans having the perception of characters being relevant/better used according to how many blows & punches they traded (regarless how much damage they did) with other characters during certain portions of the story.

This is really irritating when used by some fans that say DBZ used their cast better than DB.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:46 pm

When you try to explain something to someone, but you just end up in a pseudo-argument where your explanation is utterly ignored (probably not even read all the way through). This isn't a Dragon Ball-specific problem, and I haven't seen it happen much here on Kanzenshuu, but I just went through it somewhere else about the Super Saiyan forms, specifically the difference between Ascended/Grade 2 and Ultra/Grade 3.
The initial claim was that Grade 2 and Grade 3 are the same thing, and as a response, I pointed to several statements and facts from the story that shows that there is a difference between the two forms. (the speed issues; Trunks' power-ups against Cell and Goku powering up in the time chamber, which were both shown as multi-step processes in the anime; and finally the fact that Trunks understood that Vegeta had held off on Grade 3 because he knew of its drawbacks) And as a response... I practically just got the initial claim reposted at me. Great. Thanks.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Alruneia wrote:When you try to explain something to someone, but you just end up in a pseudo-argument where your explanation is utterly ignored (probably not even read all the way through). This isn't a Dragon Ball-specific problem, and I haven't seen it happen much here on Kanzenshuu, but I just went through it somewhere else about the Super Saiyan forms, specifically the difference between Ascended/Grade 2 and Ultra/Grade 3.
The initial claim was that Grade 2 and Grade 3 are the same thing, and as a response, I pointed to several statements and facts from the story that shows that there is a difference between the two forms. (the speed issues; Trunks' power-ups against Cell and Goku powering up in the time chamber, which were both shown as multi-step processes in the anime; and finally the fact that Trunks understood that Vegeta had held off on Grade 3 because he knew of its drawbacks) And as a response... I practically just got the initial claim reposted at me. Great. Thanks.
It's not a Kanzenshuu-only problem, but it's more prevalent on here nowadays without a doubt. When you have an argument, many who disagree will either reiterate their opinion without bothering to address your points, or the version of your argument they respond too is so ridiculously distorted that there's no way you can expect them to talk about anything in good faith. When this happens, it's like... How old are you? If you literally don't even know how to discuss properly, why are you even here?
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 am

Alruneia wrote:When you try to explain something to someone, but you just end up in a pseudo-argument where your explanation is utterly ignored (probably not even read all the way through). This isn't a Dragon Ball-specific problem, and I haven't seen it happen much here on Kanzenshuu, but I just went through it somewhere else about the Super Saiyan forms, specifically the difference between Ascended/Grade 2 and Ultra/Grade 3.
I will add more to this, the people who are obsessed over a particular character and refuse to listen any arguments, thoughts or facts against them..
They will insult, belittle, pm, mindlessly argue with you until you are absolutely disgusted by the topic in question, because the other party refuses anything to do with said argument and are grasping at their pseudo logic like loons all the while spewing hot garbage dipped in posion at you..
It's especially bad with a certain android fan I know of..

These people, if don't know how to proper discussion or are mentally not fit enough to hear a counter argument, why even bother with it I wonder
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker