Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Throwing all the old stuff under the bus just so Super's various problems can somehow get excused by basically saying Dragon Ball was always a worthless piece of shit and we're just dumb for not figuring that out until now.
It's infuriating. I think it's exclusive to the Dragon Ball fanbase, too. I don't see any other fanbase throwing the old stuff under the bus to justify underwhelming new material.
I know it's become trendy to bring back old shows, but it's still relatively rare.
Is it? It feels like everything under the yellow sun is being rebooted or resequeled back into existence somehow.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:07 pm

I think he meant its rare that new stuff sucking is justified by bashing the old stuff. To give an example "MUPPET BABIES ALWAYS SUCKED. STOP WHINING ABOUT THE NEW EPISODES YOU HATER!". For example the positive reception of the New Ducktales recently is turning extremely sour and no one is saying the old one sucked.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Recently for me it's the small group of people who complained a lot about Super designs still complaining after Super finally changed its design. Like for me at least I will gladly take these new designs if it means we can get much better animation.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think he meant its rare that new stuff sucking is justified by bashing the old stuff. To give an example "MUPPET BABIES ALWAYS SUCKED. STOP WHINING ABOUT THE NEW EPISODES YOU HATER!". For example the positive reception of the New Ducktales recently is turning extremely sour and no one is saying the old one sucked.
That annoys me a lot considering people always try this with Z in order to validate or disqualify people's problems with Super. Or how pointing out the issues with Super's circular characterizations are, and people claim Z had the same themes thus making it okay out of familiarity. No. Generally though people will use Z's bad episodes to try and claim Super today having inconsistent animation is validated simply because the same production issues existed 20 years ago. Its like people will defend something being mediocre but attack you for just asking for improvement. Like did Super episode 5 & Toriyama's opinion not influence their production to step it up? If people claim Z had bad writing according to them, thus Super's bad writing is just "stupid fun" then, where do the moments of Z's good writing go?
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It's infuriating. I think it's exclusive to the Dragon Ball fanbase, too. I don't see any other fanbase throwing the old stuff under the bus to justify underwhelming new material.
I know it's become trendy to bring back old shows, but it's still relatively rare.
Is it? It feels like everything under the yellow sun is being rebooted or resequeled back into existence somehow.
It's a trend, but it's not the norm. There are thousands of shows, even popular ones, that aren't being brought back. I'm not talking about reboots, I'm talking about revivals. Maybe rare isn't the right word, but it's still relatively speaking not the norm for shows to end and then start up again.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:55 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Throwing all the old stuff under the bus just so Super's various problems can somehow get excused by basically saying Dragon Ball was always a worthless piece of shit and we're just dumb for not figuring that out until now.
Same here.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:22 pm

That annoys me a lot considering people always try this with Z in order to validate or disqualify people's problems with Super.
It is because those who ignored or pseudo-justify it for the old show are acting hypocritical. Either you are okay with both having similiar problems or you are not. If you have a complaint about a show it is not invalidated by it but at least judge both shows truly fair and not with the mindset of "I am fair, I am fair" when you are not - which is the most common mindset one has. If you don't then those complaints get siply non-sensical. There are lots of problems with the old show that cannot be explained away - and no, fan explanations do not count - and still people are okay with it. Why not being okay with both then? It is an anime. Or complain about both. Or simply say it as it is, that both shows have their problems and also their bright sides.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Cetra wrote:
That annoys me a lot considering people always try this with Z in order to validate or disqualify people's problems with Super.
It is because those who ignored or pseudo-justify it for the old show are acting hypocritical. Either you are okay with both having similiar problems or you are not. If you have a complaint about a show it is not invalidated by it but at least judge both shows truly fair and not with the mindset of "I am fair, I am fair" when you are not - which is the most common mindset one has. If you don't then those complaints get siply non-sensical. There are lots of problems with the old show that cannot be explained away - and no, fan explanations do not count - and still people are okay with it. Why not being okay with both then? It is an anime. Or complain about both. Or simply say it as it is, that both shows have their problems and also their bright sides.
Summed it up perfectly, Cetra.

Nobody is trying to throw Z under the bus. People are very well aware of the flaws that Super has. But I think what annoys some people who like Super is when a criticism, whether it be valid or not, is brought against Super under the pretense of "This never happened before in Dragon Ball" when it has happened before in Dragon Ball. Some people get annoyed with that kind of double standard.

Nobody is saying that Super doesn't has issues which are rooted in its own show, because believe me, it has. But at the same time, there are narrative problems in Super that are an extension of what Dragon Ball has already done in previous stories. That's not to say those problems in Super can be defended because of that, with the mindset of "Well... This nonsense was in DBZ, so it's okay", but more of a case of, "This is certainly bullshit that we've seen before in Dragon Ball, but that doesn't make it okay".

And it certainly isn't a case of trying to paint DB/Z in a negative light when compared to Super. Because despite the issues that people have Dragon Ball and Z, a lot of people still enjoy it for what it's worth. And that's the same thing with Super for many other people as well. There quite a few of issues with Dragon Ball's storytelling at times. Some of the issues are mutual to one another (From Dragon Ball to Z to GT to Super) and some of them aren't. All some people are trying do is point out the mutual issues some of the Dragon Ball stories have with each other, not in fashion to degrade Dragon Ball or Z, but to make it clear that some of issues Super have aren't new.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 pm

The fan who compare some things that Dragon Ball Super do to either Power Ranger or Pokemon that start to annoy the shit hell out of me ! And also the people who complained for 131 episodes long, I just want to say to those people don't watch if you don't like it idiot !

Exemple I watched X-Files first season but at the end I find this show boring so I moved on plain and simple.

Watching something you don't like it's like being an addict to BDSM for me. :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Funimation DBZ dub fan boys. Look, it is totally okay if you prefer that version best because you like the Falcouner score and manly voiced Goku, and the filler and what not. And I'm not one to dismiss people's taste in things because of nostalgia. I like the Kanto saga of Pokemon anime the best for having way more cartoon violence toward its human characters and being more up front of its Japanese roots compared to the later watered down PC series ,Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is my favorite Power Rangers series for being the most fun, and I like the 80s cartoon Turtles best for being wacky and not WE'RE SO DARK AND SERIOUS like the 03 4kids Turtles. But saying the voice acting was better in the old Funimation dub is objectively wrong. To think Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel who will fully admit their performances are much better in Kai who had 10 years of voicing the characters and moving away from their bad Ocean cast impersonations roots is asinine Saying Chris Ayres Freeza is worse than Linda Young who made Freeze sound like a woman (the same people who have the problem with Goku being voiced by a woman no less!) is questionable. I can kind of understand preferring Stephanie's Gohan over Colleen's even if I think Colleen is slightly better (neither is very good if we're being honest) but that's really not enough to declare that the Z dub had better voice acting.

There seems to be a general ignorance as well. I saw one user on twitter, for example, claiming that Funimation took over from Ocean which isn't really true. They relocated the ADR work and hiring of voice actors to their in-house studio but the English dub of DBZ was ALWAYS Funimation. Every dialog and edit (admittedly somewhat imposed by Saban Entertainment) was all Funimation. I suppose Funimation's reversionism of the old episodes doesn't help. That same twitter user also claimed the original Funimation's english dub of DBZ was the best anime dub of all time which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGa-2BSFiI

lolololololololol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:The fan who compare some things that Dragon Ball Super do to either Power Ranger or Pokemon that start to annoy the shit hell out of me ! And also the people who complained for 131 episodes long, I just want to say to those people don't watch if you don't like it idiot !

Exemple I watched X-Files first season but at the end I find this show boring so I moved on plain and simple.

Watching something you don't like it's like being an addict to BDSM for me. :lol:
Agreed. I give something 1 to 2 episodes to hook me. After that, I don't care if it gets better eventually. I'm not powering through on the hopes that it MIGHT get better.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:51 pm

ABED wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:The fan who compare some things that Dragon Ball Super do to either Power Ranger or Pokemon that start to annoy the shit hell out of me ! And also the people who complained for 131 episodes long, I just want to say to those people don't watch if you don't like it idiot !

Agreed. I give something 1 to 2 episodes to hook me. After that, I don't care if it gets better eventually. I'm not powering through on the hopes that it MIGHT get better.
Seconded.

If you stop caring about the show you're watching, put that effort of following something you have no interest in into picking up another show you will be interested in following.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 pm

I hate reaction channel who overreact over anything, and then skip important plot points because they just HAD to get up in shock and look away from the screen, and make a dumb looking face. It's even worse when they are all like "Wait, why did this happen???"
PAY ATTENTION, YOU MORON. What's the point of watching if you're not just gonna look away and scream in shock half of the time?
Get Fucked, C_unt

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 am

I don't know if this is cultural or what, but it always annoys me when I see people referring to Toriyama as just "Akira". As far as I've understood it, referring to an author by first name only is disrespectful, so you're supposed to write "Akira Toriyama" or "Toriyama", never "Akira".
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

Me too. Nicknames I can handle, but not first name basis.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am

Alruneia wrote:I don't know if this is cultural or what, but it always annoys me when I see people referring to Toriyama as just "Akira". As far as I've understood it, referring to an author by first name only is disrespectful, so you're supposed to write "Akira Toriyama" or "Toriyama", never "Akira".
Let's not get "Culturally Appropriated" here, calling an artist by his or her first name makes very little sense as it's usually something very popular so logically, it's better to refer by the surname, preferably.

I hate when people on this community call Toriyama just by "AT" which was a term that never became a thing neither did "Ball" (Dragon Ball), thankfully. How lazy does one have to be just to write "AT" or "Ball" to supposedly make it easier or save space on the thread's title. :lol:
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:I hate reaction channel who overreact over anything, and then skip important plot points because they just HAD to get up in shock and look away from the screen, and make a dumb looking face. It's even worse when they are all like "Wait, why did this happen???"
PAY ATTENTION, YOU MORON. What's the point of watching if you're not just gonna look away and scream in shock half of the time?
Yes, I can't stand this. I'm assuming you're referring to Super episode reactions (which I've never watched reactions to) but I've seen other people title themselves "reactors" and it's such a lame trend that's probably not going anywhere soon. As regards missing plot information, I have friends that do that all the time. A plot point that initially doesn't make sense is brought up. They're trying so hard to nitpick it that they talk over the explanation of why that plot point is happening.

Anyway, one of my gear grinders (that I should probably chill out on) is when friends I have that claim to be superfans watch the new movies or Super and ask things like "Well if they brought Freeza back for the ToP, why not Cooler?" or "Wait, how is Fat Boo there didn't Goku kill Boo?" It's like, please, go learn something about this show you claim to be a hardcore fan of.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:37 pm

I hate when people on this community call Toriyama just by "AT" which was a term that never became a thing neither did "Ball" (Dragon Ball), thankfully. How lazy does one have to be just to write "AT" or "Ball" to supposedly make it easier or save space on the thread's title. :lol:
...are there seriously people who just use(d) "Ball" in place of the full title?? I do vaguely recall "AT" used to abbreviate Akira Toriyama, but I don't think I've ever seen "Ball" used that way before before.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Pantalones wrote:
...are there seriously people who just use(d) "Ball" in place of the full title?? I do vaguely recall "AT" used to abbreviate Akira Toriyama, but I don't think I've ever seen "Ball" used that way before before.
People here and elsewhere used it to distinguish between the original three anime series, so they'd say Ball, Z and GT, because the first series didn't have a suffix.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Pantalones wrote:
People here and elsewhere used it to distinguish between the original three anime series, so they'd say Ball, Z and GT, because the first series didn't have a suffix.
I just use classic or original Dragon Ball when referring to the first series but... you know, it is a very weird shortened version of DB.

Actually, it bothers me enough that I would also include it among the things that grind my gears.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"