Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:When some people praise mediocrity or garbage, like its breaking new ground. AKA Dragon Ball Super
So you don't like the idea of people liking stuff that you don't like?
I never said that or implied it, DBS is nothing more than uncreative and uninspired mediocrity most of the time and during certain points of the story, some people try to make more out of something of what's really being shown.
Well it was certainly implied. You say that it grinds your gears "when some people praise mediocrity or garbage. AKA Dragon Ball Super". That's more than an implication.

The way I try to look at it, this is the first time many fans will be experiencing the release new Dragon Ball content it. Odds are they're going to enjoy it.

I don't think Super is ALL bad. I certainly prefer it to GT.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:39 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Nia wrote: The second time he and Goku fought (what, two chapters later?), this happened [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That was their first fight.
So it was!
Guess my memory was a bit more faulty than I thought. :oops:
Honestly, I think that's a further way of cementing how Yamcha was mostly played for laughs...
ABED wrote:
If you want that type of character then you could watch Superman movies.
Or the animated series because the movies are awful.
You best not be talking about the Christopher Reeve films, otherwise them's fightin' words. =_=

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 am

Nickolaidas wrote:- Masako Nozawa's voice of adult Goku. I cannot, for the life of me, find it fitting for a character who has a body-builder physique. The scream especially ... ugh.
I don't know what has appearance got to do with voice, have you heard Mike Tyson voice?
His voice is much more high pitched than we would expect from a muscular man and trust me I have actually seen adult man with High Pitched voices and its not really that uncommon and I don't know why you are looking at Dragon Ball in such a realistic way. Gokū is a character entirely made up for that kind of child-yet-adult personality and thus the voice fits him Flawlessly and he doesn't even look like a Body builder, look at Tenshinhan or Broli now that's what we call body builder . I don't know how you didn't say that "I cannot find it fitting that in the world of Dragon Ball their are flying cars and Dinasours co-existing together" or "King of the Earth being a Dog" or "Entire houses and Cars can be minimized in a capsule" or "people flying and shooting Ki Blast and Blowing up Planets".
Nickolaidas wrote: MasakoX's voice of adult TFS Goku. Sounds gay and lame. I know his voice with the S's is something he has in default, but it annoys me.
So according to you everyone who doesn't make Gokū sound deep has a gayish voice
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:54 am

Nia wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Nia wrote: The second time he and Goku fought (what, two chapters later?), this happened [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That was their first fight.
So it was!
Guess my memory was a bit more faulty than I thought. :oops:
Honestly, I think that's a further way of cementing how Yamcha was mostly played for laughs...
ABED wrote:
If you want that type of character then you could watch Superman movies.
Or the animated series because the movies are awful.
You best not be talking about the Christopher Reeve films, otherwise them's fightin' words. =_=
He IS talking about the Reeve films. He thinks the first Reeve Superman movie is godawful.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:58 am

MasakoX's voice of adult TFS Goku. Sounds gay and lame. I know his voice with the S's is something he has in default, but it annoys me.
That doesn't make any sense... you can sound like a male or a female, but not gay.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 am

Nickolaidas wrote:- Masako Nozawa's voice of adult Goku. I cannot, for the life of me, find it fitting for a character who has a body-builder physique. The scream especially ... ugh.
People that have that type of physique can have high-pitched voices.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:19 am

BrolyKale wrote:
MasakoX's voice of adult TFS Goku. Sounds gay and lame. I know his voice with the S's is something he has in default, but it annoys me.
That doesn't make any sense... you can sound like a male or a female, but not gay.
To be fair, you can have a voice that has certain traits associated with gay people. Like, the stereotype of many gay men having an effeminate lisp.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:21 am

Nia wrote:You best not be talking about the Christopher Reeve films, otherwise them's fightin' words. =_=
Bring it on - in a PM.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 am

Blu Ray comparisons and content aren't receiving as much attention as they should besides from the Spanish speaking community

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
I don't know what has appearance got to do with voice, have you heard Mike Tyson voice?
His voice is much more high pitched than we would expect from a muscular man and trust me I have actually seen adult man with High Pitched voices and its not really that uncommon and I don't know why you are looking at Dragon Ball in such a realistic way. Gokū is a character entirely made up for that kind of child-yet-adult personality and thus the voice fits him Flawlessly and he doesn't even look like a Body builder, look at Tenshinhan or Broli now that's what we call body builder . I don't know how you didn't say that "I cannot find it fitting that in the world of Dragon Ball their are flying cars and Dinasours co-existing together" or "King of the Earth being a Dog" or "Entire houses and Cars can be minimized in a capsule" or "people flying and shooting Ki Blast and Blowing up Planets".
Nickolaidas wrote: MasakoX's voice of adult TFS Goku. Sounds gay and lame. I know his voice with the S's is something he has in default, but it annoys me.
So according to you everyone who doesn't make Gokū sound deep has a gayish voice
So you're telling me that I'm wrong to be annoyed by something that annoys me?

I find Nozawa's voice unfitting for a grown man. The yell especially irritates me. I don't care how Mike Tyson sounded - if he was also high pitched, I would find his voice equally cringe-worthy. It's my honest opinion.

As for MasakoX, no, his voice is deep enough - it's the accent and the way he makes the 's' ending in various words that annoys me. I watched him on live interviews and the voice still grinds my gear - it's not ONLY Goku related - I have issues with his accent.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
Well it was certainly implied. You say that it grinds your gears "when some people praise mediocrity or garbage, like it's breaking new ground. AKA Dragon Ball Super". That's more than an implication.
It certainly wasn't, you just misinterpreted that way.
The way I try to look at it, this is the first time many fans will be experiencing the release new Dragon Ball content it. Odds are they're going to enjoy it.
Doubt it, if your talking about someone who's never been exposed to Dragon Ball before, even a good bunch of long time DB fans have dropped Super or don't like it.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:56 pm

ABED wrote:
Nia wrote:You best not be talking about the Christopher Reeve films, otherwise them's fightin' words. =_=
Bring it on - in a PM.
Oh, it's on... momentarily in a PM!

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:30 pm

My two cents:

First two Superman films are good.
Can't remember for the life of me what the third one was about.
Fourth one is utter shit and rightly considered one of the worst superhero films of all time.

Anyway, things that grind my gears:

-Thinking that power levels actually matter. They're okay when you're not trying to use them for matchups, and are just fucking around by making a silly list. It becomes a problem when you say those statistics have any actual bearing. There's "power scaling", which is just basic "Tenshinhan and Krillin are around the same level, Goku and Vegeta are around the same level" etc - just a metric of approximate strength compared to other people. But that's stuff that's obvious and doesn't require numbers. We all know the humans are weaker than the Saiyans. That's common sense. Then there's "power levels" which is arbitrary statistics that's attaching numbers to characters, ignoring the fact that characters are human and can get fatigued. No one has an infinite reserve of power besides Androids 17 and 18 and Cell.
-The existence of Minus. It's offensive in its badness. Gine has armor that literally looks like a skirt. She's a doting housewife straight out of a 1950s sitcom. When I think "Saiyan woman", Selypa comes to mind, not...this shit. It also tries to make Goku into Superman, and furthers the trend of making Bardock special that started with Episode of Bardock. The original TV special was great. What followed was unnecessary. It's even worse considering Toriyama is on record as saying he LOVED the Bardock special...and then proceeded to make a manga that completely screws it over. I'll stick with the TV special when it comes to Bardock backstory, thanks.
-Much of the stuff since 2008 and the "revival" of DB is unnecessary. The JSAT special is inconsequential. Kai is a shitty version of Z. Heroes is glorified fanfiction. Episode of Bardock is tolerable as a what-if, but has become annoying due to people trying to say it actually happened. Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans is an inferior version of the original OVA. Battle of Gods is okay. Jaco is great. Minus, as said before, is awful. Resurrection "F" is unnecessary and kinda dumb, and continued the trend of Super Saiyan forms that are just recolors of SS1 (because fuck originality). Super is dragged down by the first two arcs being recaps, and the only chunk that has actually been enjoyable was Zamasu. The rest is boring. Dragon Ball should've stayed dead. Sure, this resurgence brought us Jaco, but it brought a bunch of awful stuff along with it.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:My two cents:

Fourth one is utter shit and rightly considered one of the worst superhero films of all time.

Anyway, things that grind my gears:

-Thinking that power levels actually matter. They're okay when you're not trying to use them for matchups, and are just fucking around by making a silly list. It becomes a problem when you say those statistics have any actual bearing. There's "power scaling", which is just basic "Tenshinhan and Krillin are around the same level, Goku and Vegeta are around the same level" etc - just a metric of approximate strength compared to other people. But that's stuff that's obvious and doesn't require numbers. We all know the humans are weaker than the Saiyans. That's common sense. Then there's "power levels" which is arbitrary statistics that's attaching numbers to characters, ignoring the fact that characters are human and can get fatigued. No one has an infinite reserve of power besides Androids 17 and 18 and Cell.
-The existence of Minus. It's offensive in its badness. Gine has armor that literally looks like a skirt. She's a doting housewife straight out of a 1950s sitcom. When I think "Saiyan woman", Selypa comes to mind, not...this shit. It also tries to make Goku into Superman, and furthers the trend of making Bardock special that started with Episode of Bardock. The original TV special was great. What followed was unnecessary. It's even worse considering Toriyama is on record as saying he LOVED the Bardock special...and then proceeded to make a manga that completely screws it over. I'll stick with the TV special when it comes to Bardock backstory, thanks.
-Much of the stuff since 2008 and the "revival" of DB is unnecessary. The JSAT special is inconsequential. Kai is a shitty version of Z. Heroes is glorified fanfiction. Episode of Bardock is tolerable as a what-if, but has become annoying due to people trying to say it actually happened. Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans is an inferior version of the original OVA. Battle of Gods is okay. Jaco is great. Minus, as said before, is awful. Resurrection "F" is unnecessary and kinda dumb, and continued the trend of Super Saiyan forms that are just recolors of SS1 (because fuck originality). Super is dragged down by the first two arcs being recaps, and the only chunk that has actually been enjoyable was Zamasu. The rest is boring. Dragon Ball should've stayed dead. Sure, this resurgence brought us Jaco, but it brought a bunch of awful stuff along with it.
Supes got drunk in the third one.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:My two cents:

Honestly, I don't even consider the fourth one that bad. Or rather, I think it's so bad it's good. :P
I've legit seen worse, but I won't say it on here for fear of turning this into a different beast altogether.

So, to get myself back on track in the thread, something that grinds my gear:

The way Toyotaro draws Zamasu. Really, Toyotaro in general, but especially Zamasu. What is with his neck being thicker than Goku's legs? Why does he have an emover hairdo? For some reason, this drives me absolutely bonkers.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:18 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:It certainly wasn't, you just misinterpreted that way.

Doubt it, if your talking about someone who's never been exposed to Dragon Ball before, even a good bunch of long time DB fans have dropped Super or don't like it.
I tend to interpret things how they're written.

I haven't mentioned "long time DB fans".
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:15 pm

The fact we still don't have an accurate reliable Dragon Ball wiki. Seeing Dubism's in subtitles for Super also rustles my jamies.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:40 am

Nia wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The way Toyotaro draws Zamasu. Really, Toyotaro in general, but especially Zamasu. What is with his neck being thicker than Goku's legs? Why does he have an emover hairdo? For some reason, this drives me absolutely bonkers.
The neck is definitely a Toyotaro thing, he also drew Black with a thick neck most of the time, as opposed to the anime making him slim, his elegance in contrast to the foul brutish mortals.
In regards to his hair, there was a correction made by Toriyama, specifically for Toyotaro to draw inspiration from, but I can't recall, if he drew his hair like that.
DragonBallKing wrote:The fact we still don't have an accurate reliable Dragon Ball wiki. Seeing Dubism's in subtitles for Super also rustles my jamies.
Yeah, that one particularly bothers me.. wish we could buy those $÷@#!& out and make a proper wiki. The in house Kanzenshuu wiki is still being worked on over 5 years after announcing it, so at this rate we shouldn't expect it very soon.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:How hypocritical fans can be.
Sure, but could you be specific?
I'll give you one example: There's this one guy who used to post a lot on Kanzenshuu who said he didn't mind cartoony voices in the Funi dub, yet he hated the Ocean dub for having cartoony voices. I have a feeling this guy hates Canadians.
I take back what I said, since this guy likes Ed Edd'n Eddy, a cartoon that the guys from the Ocean Group worked on.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:It certainly wasn't, you just misinterpreted that way.

I tend to interpret things how they're written.

I haven't mentioned "long time DB fans".
Well you obviously misinterpreted this one.