Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:One does not simply walk into the wastelands of Earth...
I don't know how you can avoid doing that since 90% of Earth IS a barren wasteland :P
I wonder about the accuracy of that figure.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
I don't know how you can avoid doing that since 90% of Earth IS a barren wasteland :P
There was clearly some ecological disaster between Piccolo losing and Raditz showing up for most of Earth's vegetation to just die off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
83% of all statistics you read on the internet are BS.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The Kienzan apparently being capable of cutting through anything. If it took a long time to charge or a massive amount of ki to make, I could see that as a good counter balance but I don't like it being unstoppable if you can just spam it the way Krillin does against Freeza.
Cell tanks it in the anime.
Which I like, it shows it has a limit that you can eventually hit provided you throw it at someone tough enough. But according to everything else its basically unstoppable.
Not me. That's a scene I hate since I LOVE the idea of the Kienzan cutting through anything. I mean I wouldn't say it's overpowered since it's like the easiest thing to dodge for anyone even remotely fast.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:00 pm

When people claim the Vegeta arc is part of the Freeza arc and isn't its own thing. Yes, he did work for Freeza for years, but the second he decided to go after the Dragon Balls, he rebelled and became his own boss. Saying he worked for Freeza at the time of the Saiyan arc would imply Vegeta was gathering the DB's for Freeza to use.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Some Norihito Sumitomo BGMs.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 pm

The fanboy worship the Falcouner score gets by American DBZ fans especially its dude bro section. Seriously it sounds like ass. Give me the DiC score from Sailor Moon or the recycled Masked Rider soundtrack from Digimon any day of the week for dub replacement scores (or hell even the Shuki Levy score for the early DBZ dub)

Any comments toward Kai that are born from ignorance. Blue Popo! They edit all the blood and gore! The new cast sucks!

In the show former serious threats being brought back as jokes. Looking at Tao Pai Pai, Freeza, and Cell.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: In the show former serious threats being brought back as jokes. Looking at Tao Pai Pai, Freeza, and Cell.
Tao Pai Pai became a joke in the very arc he was introduced in.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:28 am

It still annoys me how the anime portrayed Trunks' SSJ2 form, considering they also rarely gave him sparks, so I could almost never tell whether he was a SSJ1 or a SSJ2. I blame both Yamamuro and Toriyama for this, with Yamamuro taking most of the blame because he probably designed it, he couldn't make Trunks' SSJ2 different from his SSJ1. But Toriyama is also to blame, as it seems like he couldn't bother spend 5 minutes of his life drawing Trunks' SSJ2 hair, unless he did, and Toyotaro decided to change it, which could be possible considering he also did some touch-ups on Goku Black, for the worse in that case.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 am

ABED wrote:When people claim the Vegeta arc is part of the Freeza arc and isn't its own thing. Yes, he did work for Freeza for years, but the second he decided to go after the Dragon Balls, he rebelled and became his own boss. Saying he worked for Freeza at the time of the Saiyan arc would imply Vegeta was gathering the DB's for Freeza to use.
While I'm not trying to argue with your point (as I agree that the two arcs should be separate on their own merits), the specifics of "working for Freeza" are lost on me. In practice, he absolutely rebelled against Freeza in chasing after the Dragon Balls on Earth, but when exactly is he officially "not working for Freeza" anymore? Was there a moment (before Vegeta's open attacks on Namek) I missed in which Freeza acknowledges his rebellion? The soldiers that helped him recover after his failure on Earth did not seem to get the memo on his termination.

You're gonna hate me for bringing this up, but DBZA does something interesting (for the sake of comedy) with the idea of Vegeta still having "worked" for Freeza on Earth - as Shenlong revives even Nappa during the collapse of Namek. I'm well aware that it's a parody, but it does make you think for a second - what do Vegeta, Freeza and Shenlong consider "employment" as? Were the Saiyans under contract? Food for thought.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:21 am

the specifics of "working for Freeza" are lost on me. In practice, he absolutely rebelled against Freeza in chasing after the Dragon Balls on Earth, but when exactly is he officially "not working for Freeza" anymore? Was there a moment (before Vegeta's open attacks on Namek) I missed in which Freeza acknowledges his rebellion? The soldiers that helped him recover after his failure on Earth did not seem to get the memo on his termination.
My thoughts are that he was rebelling from Freeza the second he left for Earth to get the DB's. Of course, he doesn't tell Freeza or anyone in his army because he doesn't want them knowing what he's up to, but actions speak louder than words. The best guess I have (beyond lack of logic) for Freeza's men still healing Vegeta was that Freeza doesn't fear Vegeta at all so he doesn't care if he's healed.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:11 pm

I still don't get why Vegeta isn't considered to be working under Freeza just because he has intentions to betray him/overthrow him? That villain archtype does exist.

Why would he be healed by Freeza's men if he wasn't still considered to be working under Freeza? (that time they needed him healed later on in the Namek saga to get information on where he has the Dragon Balls not withstanding).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I still don't get why Vegeta isn't considered to be working under Freeza just because he has intentions to betray him/overthrow him? That villain archtype does exist.

Why would he be healed by Freeza's men if he wasn't still considered to be working under Freeza? (that time they needed him healed later on in the Namek saga to get information on where he has the Dragon Balls not withstanding).
Regardless of whether anyone from Freeza's ranks considers Vegeta to be working for Freeza, Vegeta is not working for him. He's going to get the Dragon Balls for himself. He doesn't have mere intentions, he is in fact betraying Freeza by going after the Dragon Balls. Just think about it if you were Freeza. Would you not consider Vegeta's actions acts of insubordination and betrayal?

ANd it is an arc. There is a beginning, middle, and resolution.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: In the show former serious threats being brought back as jokes. Looking at Tao Pai Pai, Freeza, and Cell.
How was he a joke in that arc?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

He didn't become a joke until the Tenshenhan arc, no?

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

emi_b7 wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
How was he a joke in that arc?
MasenkoHA wrote:He didn't become a joke until the Tenshenhan arc, no?
After his Karin training Goku effortlessly clowned him and Tao made a complete fool of himself and ended up nearly dying by his own hand.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:02 pm

ABED wrote:When people claim the Vegeta arc is part of the Freeza arc and isn't its own thing.
Not helping matters is Toei deciding to lump the two together for the DVD releases of DBKai. Also,
Vegeta arc
When people call the Saiyan arc the Vegeta arc. Vegeta barely does anything until his fight and doesn't carry the same amount of presence that Freeza, Cell, and Buu do for their respective arcs.
MasenkoHA wrote:The fanboy worship the Falcouner score gets by American DBZ fans especially its dude bro section. Seriously it sounds like ass. Give me the DiC score from Sailor Moon or the recycled Masked Rider soundtrack from Digimon any day of the week for dub replacement scores (or hell even the Shuki Levy score for the early DBZ dub)
While the Faulconer Production score is terrible, I'd give it an edge over Levy's score. The FP score at least made it's presence known (not necessarily in the best way mind you) whereas Levy's score just kinda half-assedly mumbles in the background adding no emotion or weight to the show, it's just sorta... there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:09 pm

When people call the Saiyan arc the Vegeta arc. Vegeta barely does anything until his fight and doesn't carry the same amount of presence that Freeza, Cell, and Buu do for their respective arcs.
I don't know why that grinds your gears, and Vegeta has plenty of presence. Nappa and Raditz are carrying out his orders. Lastly, I don't know why this grinds you gears seeing as how the arcs are typically named after the big bad.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Lunaar wrote:Was there a moment (before Vegeta's open attacks on Namek) I missed in which Freeza acknowledges his rebellion? The soldiers that helped him recover after his failure on Earth did not seem to get the memo on his termination.
Dragon Ball Chapter 247 wrote:Vegeta: "They must have learned about my rebellion by now...Freeza will want me dead."
[...]
Zarbon: "Lord Freeza, Kewi has arrived just now, pursuing Vegeta. The two large power readings that suddenly appeared and disappeared haven't yet returned."
Zarbon: "We're investigating the area of the readings. With luck, we'll soon know what they were."
Freeza: "Fine, fine. But our priority is the rebellious Vegeta."
Freeza: "Kewi will dispatch him soon enough. Those two always did hate each other."
That would qualify for "before Vegeta's open attacks on Namek". Now, before Vegeta arrives into Freeza Planet No. 79, soldiers discuss among each other that they weren't informed of Vegeta's return & questioned Nappa's absence, too (Freeza just left before this, by the way). Kewi, on the other hand, makes a talking point of Freeza's anger towards the Saiyan. Antagonizing Vegeta further, Kewi assures Freeza will "forgive" him for "providing" intelligence about the Dragon Balls.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
Lunaar wrote:Was there a moment (before Vegeta's open attacks on Namek) I missed in which Freeza acknowledges his rebellion? The soldiers that helped him recover after his failure on Earth did not seem to get the memo on his termination.
Dragon Ball Chapter 247 wrote:Vegeta: "They must have learned about my rebellion by now...Freeza will want me dead."
[...]
Zarbon: "Lord Freeza, Kewi has arrived just now, pursuing Vegeta. The two large power readings that suddenly appeared and disappeared haven't yet returned."
Zarbon: "We're investigating the area of the readings. With luck, we'll soon know what they were."
Freeza: "Fine, fine. But our priority is the rebellious Vegeta."
Freeza: "Kewi will dispatch him soon enough. Those two always did hate each other."
That would qualify for "before Vegeta's open attacks on Namek". Now, before Vegeta arrives into Freeza Planet No. 79, soldiers discuss among each other that they weren't informed of Vegeta's return & questioned Nappa's absence, too (Freeza just left before this, by the way). Kewi, on the other hand, makes a talking point of Freeza's anger towards the Saiyan. Antagonizing Vegeta further, Kewi assures Freeza will "forgive" him for "providing" intelligence about the Dragon Balls.
That absolutely clears it up! Thanks, boss.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★