Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears...

Certain parts of the fanbase considering characters to be worthless if they don't have a high power level/strength or never get as much accomplished.(People like Krillin, Android 16, etc.)
I agree. But to be fair, that's how they're portrayed in the series. Kurilin retires, suddenly he's barely relevant. Yamucha gives up fighting and is reduced to literally standing in the background. Same with Tenshinhan. I don't know how Super handles these characters, but toward the end of Z, anyone who isn't a big time fighter, is pretty much left standing around waiting to be killed.
Yeah, but even then... I still think parts of the fandom overblow this kind of thing.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Calling eleven years old Gohan "Teen" Gohan :evil: .
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Is it just me, or are there not any "Nearly Complete Works of Akira Toriyama" entries available on the official DB website other than the most recent one?
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 pm

I get annoyed when people give me a hard time for pronouncing several names correctly. I read the manga and I watch the show subbed I'm accustomed to their proper names. There are exceptions since if I say "Saiyan" correctly or Kuririn then 90% of DB fans I speak to have no idea what I'm talking about so I just go with the flow on those.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 pm

People using the word "Ball" as shorthand for the first 153 episodes of the anime.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:44 pm

I have NEVER seen people doing that in my life and for that I'm glad.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 am

John Pannozzi wrote:Is it just me, or are there not any "Nearly Complete Works of Akira Toriyama" entries available on the official DB website other than the most recent one?
They are only available for a limited time for whatever reason. Herms also mentioned this on his twitter.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm

When people use the terms " bad fanfiction" to hate Super.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Zephyr wrote:People using the word "Ball" as shorthand for the first 153 episodes of the anime.
Me and my friend like to jokingly say "Balls" and "Zballs" but I've never seen anyone use it unironically.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:People using the word "Ball" as shorthand for the first 153 episodes of the anime.
Me and my friend like to jokingly say "Balls" and "Zballs" but I've never seen anyone use it unironically.
Wouldn't it be more clever to refer to it as Ball and BallZ?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 pm

ABED wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more clever to refer to it as Ball and BallZ?
Well there's that too, but Zballs kinda has a ring to it. :lol:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Some people refer to the different parts of the franchise by their suffixes. As in calling them Z, GT or Super. What name would you suggest to them while following their name scheme? Preferably without dismissing the naming scheme altogether. I don't do this myself, but I know people who do.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Alruneia wrote:Some people refer to the different parts of the franchise by their suffixes. As in calling them Z, GT or Super. What name would you suggest to them while following their name scheme? Preferably without dismissing the naming scheme altogether. I don't do this myself, but I know people who do.
"DB" seems straightforward enough (and it's a shorter abbreviation!). The only rationale I can imagine for using "Ball" over the good old "DB" is that someone might think you're referring to the entire franchise in general, rather than the first 153 episodes of the anime. I don't think that makes much sense, though, upon closer inspection.

I feel like, when talking about the different anime series as distinct things, "DB" would suffice. If you say "DB did this, while Z did this", for instance, nobody is going to think that you're referring to the entire franchise when you say "DB", because it would make no sense to contrast the entire franchise, which contains Z, to Z by itself.

I'm also apprehensive about assessing DB and Z separately to begin with, barring certain anime-exclusive bits and behind-the-scenes production stuff (like animation, voice acting, localization, etc.). Outside of those particular things, DB and Z generally don't warrant being split up and treated as distinct, in comparison to GT and Super, which are very distinct from all else in both time and creative process.

Moreover, any discussion that warrants DB and Z be split up (which essentially boils down to discussions of production), also warrants Kai be included in the conversation and comparison, as that has its own distinct production process. It's either DB vs GT vs Super, or it's DB vs Z vs GT vs Kai vs Super. In either context, what is meant by "DB" seems to me like it should be quite clear.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am

Zephyr wrote:
Alruneia wrote:Some people refer to the different parts of the franchise by their suffixes. As in calling them Z, GT or Super. What name would you suggest to them while following their name scheme? Preferably without dismissing the naming scheme altogether. I don't do this myself, but I know people who do.
[spoiler]"DB" seems straightforward enough (and it's a shorter abbreviation!). The only rationale I can imagine for using "Ball" over the good old "DB" is that someone might think you're referring to the entire franchise in general, rather than the first 153 episodes of the anime. I don't think that makes much sense, though, upon closer inspection.

I feel like, when talking about the different anime series as distinct things, "DB" would suffice. If you say "DB did this, while Z did this", for instance, nobody is going to think that you're referring to the entire franchise when you say "DB", because it would make no sense to contrast the entire franchise, which contains Z, to Z by itself.

I'm also apprehensive about assessing DB and Z separately to begin with, barring certain anime-exclusive bits and behind-the-scenes production stuff (like animation, voice acting, localization, etc.). Outside of those particular things, DB and Z generally don't warrant being split up and treated as distinct, in comparison to GT and Super, which are very distinct from all else in both time and creative process.

Moreover, any discussion that warrants DB and Z be split up (which essentially boils down to discussions of production), also warrants Kai be included in the conversation and comparison, as that has its own distinct production process. It's either DB vs GT vs Super, or it's DB vs Z vs GT vs Kai vs Super. In either context, what is meant by "DB" seems to me like it should be quite clear.[/spoiler]
That's fair. Well, I mean, I already use DB. It does introduce need for context to avoid confusion with the franchise as a whole, but I can't really think of any instances where you wouldn't naturally include the necessary context anyway. So yeah, I suppose that works.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:33 pm

With the series itself? Just that vague sense that a lot of plots unfolded or concluded in rather unsatisfying ways. It's hard to really explain this one, but it's a natural result of Toriyama's "pantsing" nature to writing long storylines. Maybe I just feel that way because I'm the sort of guy that likes to over-outline things and play unwritten story events back in my head 1,000 times before ever writing them down, as well as let concepts sit and develop over the course of months and years just to see what actually works. But it's a franchise aimed at grade-schoolers in a time when shonen was still developing as a demographical genre so I'm not going to go overboard ragging on things like plot development and exposition— as much as I want to.

Another thing is how the biggest draw of the series— the fighting— feels so lackluster the further you go. It doesn't matter if your best feats of strength are "breaking a large boulder with a single megaton punch" or "vaporizing five universes with a weak pimp slap". When fight scenes are done well, they're done well. Yet so much of the choreography and impact vanished after the Freeza saga, and it's been almost totally nonexistent since the start of Super. I could go on and on about how good fights feel.

I could also go on and on about why Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Supers' attempts to recapture early Dragon Ball's comedy and then give it Z-styled action failed so hard, but I actually found a video that explained everything perfectly—
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

In summary for that, if you want to really recapture the feel of Dragon Ball without also bringing back the adventure aspect of the show, you need to focus mostly on making the fighting funny and impactful. Super's fights are neither funny or impactful, which is why you see the sentiment towards the series balancing so dangerously between "best thing since Z" and "as bad as GT".

Meta-series: the writing. I really just don't understand why Toei writers don't understand that "Toriyama's legendary laziness and make-it-up-as-you-go writing" does not equal "aggressively stupid, pandering, and lazy writing". Toriyama's laziness came from the fact he didn't write new chapters until it was nearly time to publish them. If he did spend more time with the story, he would have made a much more cohesive product. He didn't because he was doing other things with his time. For some reason, Toei seems to think that gives them full excuse to come up with the most breathtakingly inane plotlines imaginable for anything Dragon Ball related. In this case, I point mostly to the games and their what-if storylines or original storylines when there's such a mode. It's been six years still I played the game and I am still absolutely astounded by how Satanically bad Ultimate Tenkaichi's Hero Mode story was. It floored me when I learned that the final villain of that story was, without any hint of irony, Omega Shenron. Maybe I'm too used to modern Western storytelling conventions where clever plot twists are celebrated, because I was hoping for even a weak twist like "the destroyer of the world is actually SSJ4 Goku, but he's been corrupted by the Black Star Dragon Balls!"

Fanbase: This image in a nutshell. Maybe it's because I've grown to prefer Dragon Ball's Wuxia style so much more or because the American dubs before Kai started sounding like a parody dub as I grew older. But man, I swear there's this image of a "casual" Dragon Ball Z fan that's been imprinted so hard into my brain that it's rerouted my synapses. The fans who are so stuck in their ways with nostalgia that they actually prefer Drummond-ripoff Sabat over Sabat's gruffer Vegeta voice, will defend Faulconer to Zunzabit, and hilariously miss the point involving transformations (preferring increasingly muscular/lean overdesigned transformations in particular). They tend to agree with me that a lot of the fighting's gone to shit due to a much cheaper presentation and misunderstanding of choreography, as well as that the story's been treated as completely extraneous material, and that the series has completely forgotten how cathartic it is to bloody up a battlefield, but then things differ. A lot of these casual fans want everything to be darker, edgier, and more epic to an almost Shadow the Hedgehog-level of cringiness.

Likewise, maybe it's just that I've been hanging around the wrong crowd, but a lot of the more gatekeeping DB fans I've seen act more like Dragon Ball was never an over-the-top-with-violence action-comedy and was always just a mystical comedy with action bits for little kids that started trying too hard at one point. I think that perception was shaped when one of those 'gatekeepers' acted as if an actual manga shot of Goku holding his bloodied chest during the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai was bad, overly edgy fanart done by fans who wanted more mindless blood and violence in a kid's show (which I thought was the height of irony).

Another parting thing: I don't get the hate the dub voices get. Especially with the Reddit AMA that Sabat and Schemmel did recently, where gatekeeper fans literally acted as if they had any control over how the dub was written in the first place.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm

With the series itself? Just that vague sense that a lot of plots unfolded or concluded in rather unsatisfying ways. It's hard to really explain this one, but it's a natural result of Toriyama's "pantsing" nature to writing long storylines. Maybe I just feel that way because I'm the sort of guy that likes to over-outline things and play unwritten story events back in my head 1,000 times before ever writing them down, as well as let concepts sit and develop over the course of months and years just to see what actually works. But it's a franchise aimed at grade-schoolers in a time when shonen was still developing as a demographical genre so I'm not going to go overboard ragging on things like plot development and exposition— as much as I want to.
It works just fine when the stories are simple. I'm interested in your last sentence because DB doesn't really require much exposition.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't get how "Ball" is synonymous to DB, it's such a vague word and I've only seen it being used once on this forum. Thankfully. Calling DB as "Ball" makes no sense whatsoever.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 pm

ABED wrote:
It works just fine when the stories are simple. I'm interested in your last sentence because DB doesn't really require much exposition.
What do you mean?
I meant that I couldn't go on about things like development and exposition precisely because DB never really did them well. Today's episode is a great example— we got a little backstory with Jiren, but it was as basic and generic of a backstory as you can possibly get. Who is the mysterious shadowy figure that we see? In a more story-heavy series, we'd go deeper into that, getting a better explanation. But in Dragon Ball, you accept it at face value and know that we'll never see that figure brought up again. He kills Jiren's family, Jiren wants revenge, Jiren develops, yada yada, now JIren believes strength is justice. Who was that guy? I'unno. Leave that one for fanfiction to fill in the blanks.

That's sort of what it's like for Dragon Ball. When Freeza remarked that Goku resembled his father, Bardock, we never got a single line further in the manga explaining who Bardock was supposed to be. He's just Goku's father and Freeza remembers him for rebelling against him. There you go. Or Raditz, when he explains that he and Goku are brothers. That's never brought up again after Raditz is killed. We're never told who Freeza is besides being emperor of the universe/galaxy (seems a bit inconsistent there which one he actually controls).

If the execution is pulled off well, no one cares. No one cared who Darth Sidious was or how he was once Chancellor Sheev Palpatine. He was just that black-robed super wizard apparently even more powerful than Darth Vader.
Similar thing in Dragon Ball.

Thing is, it works up to a point. After a certain point, refusing to explain things about your world really starts to catch up to you. If you can keep a work short enough, you won't have that problem, but Dragon Ball's big damn problem is that it's grown into a mythology all its own and yet so much stuff is still unexplained. And the things that are explained have that distinct George Lucasian feeling to them where it feels like the creator forgot the point behind his own creation at some point (most notably S-cells and that Goku was destined to be kind because his mother was a kind Saiyan). Speaking as a wannabe mythmaker, I can tell you I've forgotten things about stories I wrote a decade ago and if I were to return to them without reading over them, it'd definitely feel like I was writing fanfiction of my own material.

There's that very thin line between expanding a lore and overcomplicating it, and I just feel Dragon Ball's falling into the trap of the latter after coasting so long on not explaining anything that didn't narrowly have anything to do with Goku's current adventures. And that's how we get these contradictory elements to the lore. From an expository point, it's just building up to a point where the entire lore will collapse in on itself unless someone takes the time to go through everything with a fine-tooth comb and give us a grand Dragon Encyclopedia.

One Piece may fall into the same trap, but it's helped by the fact that there generally is an attempt at storytelling, whereas Dragon Ball is persisting with having a simplistic story in an increasingly complex mythos. Having your cake and eating it too, I believe the saying goes. It's a very strange predicament for an IP.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm

There's little need for lots of exposition in DB because it's not a complicated story.

Backstory is overrated. What's more important is knowing what he wants and what his methods are to get them. That's what truly makes a character interesting, not what happened before we met him or her. Freeza has a little backstory, but not much. We know nothing about the race he comes from. We know he wants immortality and power. And we know he will inflict pain out of personal enjoyment. He's fully formed. We don't need to know about his parents, it doesn't matter.
Thing is, it works up to a point.
I don't agree. Exposition is overrated. Audiences need less of it to follow the story and care than writers think. Honestly, I think far too many people place importance on lore and exposition than they ought to.

Explaining things often just stops stories dead in their tracks. Watch that scene where Cell tells Piccolo his whole life story and tell me that scene doesn't just go on forever.

There's a lot of lore in DB, but it's not that complex.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

People not understanding the anime exists solely to sell merchandise to little children (check out one of Kanzenshuu's latest podcast to see the difference in profits between broadcast licensing and merchandise licensing. It's astronomical) and thus taking things too seriously like discussing power levels and "omg why is 17 on par with goku now??!!! :x " I think the fanbase would enjoy the Dragonball series as a whole if they stopped overthinking everything.