Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Guesswhoo wrote:Toei being OK with average thus shitting all over Akira Toriyama's good work :x
I don't really get you, i'm pretty sure that people on Toei are trying (maybe not succesfully) to make the show actually good (in the case you were talking about dbs)
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm pretty sure TOEI nor most artists are intentionally putting out okay work. I think most do their best.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 am

TOEI is obviously doing their best since Super has gotten much better with time. The only grip I still have is powerscaling but the rest is so enjoyable I can overlook it.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:40 am

When dub fans insist that we use FUNi dub names and terms because we are speaking English. I've seen comments like, "Speak English you weeb", "Are you a Japanese person who speaks Japanese?" or "English only please", when someone uses Kinto-Un or some other name that's not well know to dub fans. What's funny is that these type of fans, the "English only" type, use untranslated terms all the time without even knowing. Kaio-ken, Kamehameha, and Roshi come to mind.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Bajosexto wrote:When dub fans insist that we use FUNi dub names and terms because we are speaking English. I've seen comments like, "Speak English you weeb", "Are you a Japanese person who speaks Japanese?" or "English only please", when someone uses Kinto-Un or some other name that's not well know to dub fans. What's funny is that these type of fans, the "English only" type, use untranslated terms all the time without even knowing. Kaio-ken, Kamehameha, and Roshi come to mind.
Those people aren't worth talking to, just ignore them, there aren't enough of them around that it's a problem. Hell, there are virtually none of them on these forums.
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

ABED wrote:I'm pretty sure TOEI nor most artists are intentionally putting out okay work. I think most do their best.
And this brings me to what grinds my gears: when people say Toei is "lazy" and "greedy". Sure, the corporate executives may be, but not the writers and animators, who put their best out every week.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm pretty sure TOEI nor most artists are intentionally putting out okay work. I think most do their best.
And this brings me to what grinds my gears: when people say Toei is "lazy" and "greedy". Sure, the corporate executives may be, but not the writers and animators, who put their best out every week.
I don't think the execs are lazy nor would I use "greedy" in this context as a pejorative. Is the show the highest quality it could be? Nope, but that doesn't mean they don't care. They have a different strategy for how they create their content. They go for quantity instead of quality.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:When dub fans insist that we use FUNi dub names and terms because we are speaking English. I've seen comments like, "Speak English you weeb", "Are you a Japanese person who speaks Japanese?" or "English only please", when someone uses Kinto-Un or some other name that's not well know to dub fans. What's funny is that these type of fans, the "English only" type, use untranslated terms all the time without even knowing. Kaio-ken, Kamehameha, and Roshi come to mind.
Those people aren't worth talking to, just ignore them, there aren't enough of them around that it's a problem. Hell, there are virtually none of them on these forums.
I do. You can't have an serious conversation with someone who thinks like that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm

When people automatically dismiss SSG, Golden Freeza and SSGSS as "lazy recolourings". This really drives me up the wall, not only do these have different aura but SSG Goku Toriyama actually made his clothes lighter in colour and gave his shoes a white trim and made him slimmer, Golden Freeza actually has differences from his final form for example his purple shoulder blades are completely gone, and SSGSS as well as having a new aura set apart from both SS and SSG Toriyama designed a new set clothes for both Vegeta and Goku. Compare those to SS2 & 3 where the only difference were longer hair and lightning sparks, heck even SS1 didn't have much ingenuity, spike the hair, make it gold and change eyes to green. I'd say Toriyama has been way more experimental with the Super Saiyan form in modern DB then he ever was.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:When people automatically dismiss SSG, Golden Freeza and SSGSS as "lazy recolourings". This really drives me up the wall, not only do these have different aura but SSG Goku Toriyama actually made his clothes lighter in colour and gave his shoes a white trim and made him slimmer, Golden Freeza actually has differences from his final form for example his purple shoulder blades are completely gone, and SSGSS as well as having a new aura set apart from both SS and SSG Toriyama designed a new set clothes for both Vegeta and Goku. Compare those to SS2 & 3 where the only difference were longer hair and lightning sparks, heck even SS1 didn't have much ingenuity, spike the hair, make it gold and change eyes to green. I'd say Toriyama has been way more experimental with the Super Saiyan form in modern DB then he ever was.
4s the only one where any actual design work went into it, let's be honest. Toriyama has a great flare for giving his bad guys interesting physical alterations from form to form (not always but a lot of times) but he cannot give the Saiyan's anything close to that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:42 pm

When a fight yanks away a satisfying conclusion/finisher for the hero too many times. I was annoyed when Omega Shenron wasn't defeated by Gogeta thanks to plot convenience, and then again bullcrapped his way out of being defeated by Nova Shenron. I bring this up because I just finished DBSuper Chapter 23 and [spoiler]TWO dumb plot conveniences saved Zamas! One, was Goku successfully sealing him but then bringing Roshi's coupon instead. The other, from this particular chapter, is Vegeto (or "Vegerot") splitting up randomly and THAT plot convenience is just as annoying as it was in GT.[/spoiler] I personally felt that both of these outcomes would have been pretty satisfying/awesome conclusions to the battle, and it bugs me that the writers keep doing that "almost got 'em" nonsense over and over again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:37 pm

That wasn't a plot convenience when the fusion time limit expired quickly and the four star dragon was nowhere near as strong as the 1 star Dragon, especially when he absorbed 6 of the DB's. Sure it can get annoying when the good guy almost gets the bad guy far too many times, but reversals are just good storytelling.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:11 pm

I would've been fine with Gogeta beating Omega if the two put up an actual battle against one another instead of a boring, one-sided curb stomp in-favor of the good guy. Might as well make Gogeta pay for dicking around and not simply finishing the fight.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I would've been fine with Gogeta beating Omega if the two put up an actual battle against one another instead of a boring, one-sided curb stomp in-favor of the good guy. Might as well make Gogeta pay for dicking around and not simply finishing the fight.
Those types of fights have begun to annoy me, though only on the Heroes side for some reason. I feel like Piccolo watching Gotenks fighting Buu. It was especially aggravating in GT considering that Gogeta never fucked around against Janemba, but suddenly in the series were both Goku and Vegeta were far more serious, he completely changes. It was simmiilar to how I felt when Gohan was suddenly just fucking around with Cell because he's suddenly sadistic.

The Super Buu fight was an exception though, because the fucking around part was simply a ploy to get inside Buu. Which makes me appreciate that Vegetto takes the Merged Zamasu fight seriously, instead of dicking around until the fusion runs out.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:The Super Buu fight was an exception though, because the fucking around part was simply a ploy to get inside Buu. Which makes me appreciate that Vegetto takes the Merged Zamasu fight seriously, instead of dicking around until the fusion runs out.
The Vegetto thing is stupid for me too because Vegetto can just kill him and revive everyone with the Namekian Dragon Balls. Which brings me to another point: either care for real or stop caring entirely about death, because it really annoys me how the characters flip flop on the issue depending on what the plot needs when they really, really shouldn't given how many ass pulls they have to fix things.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I would've been fine with Gogeta beating Omega if the two put up an actual battle against one another instead of a boring, one-sided curb stomp in-favor of the good guy. Might as well make Gogeta pay for dicking around and not simply finishing the fight.
Those types of fights have begun to annoy me, though only on the Heroes side for some reason. I feel like Piccolo watching Gotenks fighting Buu. It was especially aggravating in GT considering that Gogeta never fucked around against Janemba, but suddenly in the series were both Goku and Vegeta were far more serious, he completely changes. It was simmiilar to how I felt when Gohan was suddenly just fucking around with Cell because he's suddenly sadistic.

The Super Buu fight was an exception though, because the fucking around part was simply a ploy to get inside Buu. Which makes me appreciate that Vegetto takes the Merged Zamasu fight seriously, instead of dicking around until the fusion runs out.
You seem ambivalent about the issue. On one hand you get irritated that Vegetto was dicking around, but on the other hand acknowledge he was screwing around to get Buu to absorb him.
The Vegetto thing is stupid for me too because Vegetto can just kill him and revive everyone with the Namekian Dragon Balls.
Nah, even if it was an option, I'd still rather not kill my friends and family even if I knew I could revive them later. I blame this partially on how damn easy the DB's make everything.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:30 pm

ABED wrote: The Super Buu fight was an exception though, because the fucking around part was simply a ploy to get inside Buu. Which makes me appreciate that Vegetto takes the Merged Zamasu fight seriously, instead of dicking around until the fusion runs out.
You seem ambivalent about the issue. On one hand you get irritated that Vegetto was dicking around, but on the other hand acknowledge he was screwing around to get Buu to absorb him.[/quote]
Not really, I said I was fine with him dicking around because there was an actual point to it. That's why i said it was an exception.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 pm

ABED wrote:Nah, even if it was an option, I'd still rather not kill my friends and family even if I knew I could revive them later. I blame this partially on how damn easy the DB's make everything.
That is crux of my problem with death in later Dragon Ball and even in comic books. The characters are so aware that death matters nothing to them that I find reactions to it or hesitation about it odd. Goku is 100% fine with Bulma's parents and hometown being destroyed by Boo because the DBs are around to fix it but Vegetto himself isn't okay with killing the boys & Piccolo even though the same solution applies.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 pm

The thing that bugs me more than anything is Goku being able to hunt for the Dragon Ball right after the end of the tournament, even though it was said that he only trained with Kame'sennin for eight months. It also bugs me that this really messes with Goku's age, since at the tournament he gives his age as 12 which would mean he was 11 when he met Bulma but he told her he was 14 because he thought 14 came after 11, so he had to be 12 then which would make it impossible for him to not be 13 at the tournament.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:Nah, even if it was an option, I'd still rather not kill my friends and family even if I knew I could revive them later. I blame this partially on how damn easy the DB's make everything.
That is crux of my problem with death in later Dragon Ball and even in comic books. The characters are so aware that death matters nothing to them that I find reactions to it or hesitation about it odd. Goku is 100% fine with Bulma's parents and hometown being destroyed by Boo because the DBs are around to fix it but Vegetto himself isn't okay with killing the boys & Piccolo even though the same solution applies.
Yeah, they probably should be more consistent in their reactions. In DB, death doesn't feel final, but even in DC and Marvel where characters get brought back, it's not as easy as making a wish with the Dragon Balls, so I feel like even the temporary deaths carry more weight. I like when stories hang a lantern on this issue.