Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:55 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:The claim that "Super Goku is only different because you watched the dub"
Discussion of characters in Super, Goku in particular, tends to gravitate toward binaries in a way I find frustrating. Most recently, I think Goku's underlying motivations have been spot on, but the execution has been off. That doesn't fit into an eye-catching Reddit post title like "This is the way Goku has ALWAYS been" or "Why they're getting Goku WRONG" though. Sometimes it seems like people aren't interested in discussing elements of the series if the reactions can't be one-note and bite-sized. C'est la vie when you're talking about kids' cartoons, I guess.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:His name is Muten Roshi, I think that Roshi is a title. But you are right.
They're both titles. The character doesn't have a proper name. He's either the Turtle Hermit or the Invincible Old Master.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:20 am

Bajosexto wrote:When people(spicifically FUNi dub fans) say "his name is Beerus not Bills". Yes I'm know that his name is Beerus/Beers but some dubs translated his name as Bills. This bothers me because "Bills" is an official dub name, yet if you call him that in an English speaking forum, more than likely someone will come out and say that it is a fan name and you shouldn't call him that. Yet the majority, not everyone of course but around 75-80% of the English speaking fans use (incorrect)dub names all the time. Why don't I see FUNi dub fans saying "Master Roshi is an incorrect dub name, his name is Kame Sennin". I mean after all "Master Roshi", just like "Bills", is an incorrect dub name.
Most of those fans probably used "Bills" themselves before this site and Funimation came out with "Beerus".

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:His name is Muten Roshi, I think that Roshi is a title. But you are right.
I think his complete title is, not completely sure though, Kame Sennin Muten Roshi.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 am

Bajosexto wrote:
I think his complete title is, not completely sure though, Kame Sennin Muten Roshi.
No, those are two separate titles. Kame Sennin means "Turtle Hermit".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 am

DBZ Macky wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:When people(spicifically FUNi dub fans) say "his name is Beerus not Bills". Yes I'm know that his name is Beerus/Beers but some dubs translated his name as Bills. This bothers me because "Bills" is an official dub name, yet if you call him that in an English speaking forum, more than likely someone will come out and say that it is a fan name and you shouldn't call him that. Yet the majority, not everyone of course but around 75-80% of the English speaking fans use (incorrect)dub names all the time. Why don't I see FUNi dub fans saying "Master Roshi is an incorrect dub name, his name is Kame Sennin". I mean after all "Master Roshi", just like "Bills", is an incorrect dub name.
Calling Beerus "Bills" is like calling Trunks "Tlunks". It's not wrong but it misses the point of the name completely. Both the name puns of "Virus" and "Beer" are lost. Besides, it's good to have a standard naming convention and it's best that everyone follows that.
I know that it misses the point. But not everyone uses "correct" name translations exclusively, for lack of a better word. How can you correct someone for using "Bills" when you yourself use names like Tien of Pikkon. I mean if you actually didn't use any incorrect dub names at all then it wouldn't bother me(as much). I feel that if I don't correct someone when they say Tien, then they shouldn't correct me when/if I use Bills.
ABED wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:I think his complete title is, not completely sure though, Kame Sennin Muten Roshi.
No, those are two separate titles. Kame Sennin means "Turtle Hermit".
Didn't know they were two separate titles.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 am

Why don't you use Beerus? Bills doesn't convey either of the puns.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:07 pm

ABED wrote:Why don't you use Beerus? Bills doesn't convey either of the puns.
I do use Beerus even though I was introduced to the character as Bills. I'm not saying that I personally use it. What I'm saying is that I've seen fans on the Dbz subreddit who call Beerus "Bills" getting called-out for it many times. I understand why an English dub fan would think Bills is a fan name. But like I said on my other post, if I have the courtesy to not correct them when they say things like Tien, Hercule etc, (because shouldn't we be allowed to use whichever dub names we like without someone saying "Eww don't call him that. His "correct" name is blank") then I would expect them not to correct me or anyone else for using Bills.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
ABED wrote:Why don't you use Beerus? Bills doesn't convey either of the puns.
I do use Beerus even though I was introduced to the character as Bills. I'm not saying that I personally use it. What I'm saying is that I've seen fans on the Dbz subreddit who call Beerus "Bills" getting called-out for it many times. I understand why an English dub fan would think Bills is a fan name. But like I said on my other post, if I have the courtesy to not correct them when they say things like Tien, Hercule etc, (because shouldn't we be allowed to use whichever dub names we like without someone saying "Eww don't call him that. His "correct" name is blank") then I would expect them not to correct me or anyone else for using Bills.

Dub fans get corrected all the time. And not to be rude but is Bills really an official name??
I was introduced to the name as Bills were. Many people were. We just switched when the official translation came out.
"Hercule" is pretty much gone as a name besides the games and the other name changes still (mostly) have a resemblance of the original name

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 pm

It is in Latin America. And while I use Beerus, I dont like the implication that english dub names are okay and the Latin American one's arent. True, I never say "Milk" for Chichi, but the point stands.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:I do use Beerus even though I was introduced to the character as Bills. I'm not saying that I personally use it. What I'm saying is that I've seen fans on the Dbz subreddit who call Beerus "Bills" getting called-out for it many times. I understand why an English dub fan would think Bills is a fan name. But like I said on my other post, if I have the courtesy to not correct them when they say things like Tien, Hercule etc, (because shouldn't we be allowed to use whichever dub names we like without someone saying "Eww don't call him that. His "correct" name is blank") then I would expect them not to correct me or anyone else for using Bills.
Dub fans get corrected all the time. And not to be rude but is Bills really an official name??
I was introduced to the name as Bills were. Many people were. We just switched when the official translation came out.
"Hercule" is pretty much gone as a name besides the games and the other name changes still (mostly) have a resemblance of the original name
Yes. Bills is the official name for Beerus in Latin America.

Your right, FUNi Dubs fans do get corrected. But most of the time you can get away with using FUNi dub names while you can't with non English dub names. If I were to start using "Bills", "Pikkoro Daimaku", "Dr.Maki Gero"(all official Latin American dub names by the way) I'm pretty sure that someone would try to make me use the "correct" names. But if I were to use Tien, Pikkon, King Kai, etc, only the "hardcore Japanese version only elitist"(for lack of a better term) would call me out. And yes I know this is an English forum but if the FUNi dub names are OK, why aren't the Latin American dub names?

EDIT: Cure Dragon 255 comment pretty much sums up how I feel about using Bills.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Actually, pretty sure Bills is the name used everywhere except the English speaking countries, France, and maaaybe Israel? Unfortunately. I too prefer Beerus, but Bills probably is the romanization Toei sends in the scripts.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 pm

omegalucas wrote:Actually, pretty sure Bills is the name used everywhere except the English speaking countries, France, and maaaybe Israel? Unfortunately. I too prefer Beerus, but Bills probably is the romanization Toei sends in the scripts.
Actually in the Spanish dub (from Spain) of Resurrection of "F", his name was corrected to Beerus, meanwhile in the dub of Super they use Lord Bills and Lord Beerus at the same time (pretty inconsistent). After episode 27 they will stick with Beerus, upon requests from Toei.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 pm

YonedgeHP wrote: Actually in the Spanish dub (from Spain) of Resurrection of "F", his name was corrected to Beerus, meanwhile in the dub of Super they use Lord Bills and Lord Beerus at the same time (pretty inconsistent). After episode 27 they will stick with Beerus, upon requests from Toei.
Lucky for you guys. They don't seem to care for Portugal's mistakes unfortunately...
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Because YT comments

Fans who refer to the Funi in house dub with the Faulconer score as "the original DBZ" which is wrong both in the sense of the Japanese version and the original Funi/Saban/Ocean collab english dub

The fact that Funimation is absolved of any wrong doing for the first two broadcast seasons. With many fans on youtune and other places acting like Ocean (and less frequently Saban) wrote the scripts when in fact the scripts were written by funimations writers to the point they just recycled them for the uncut redub. HFIL, I can see their parachutes...they're okay, and "Your father was an average fighter but a brilliant scientist" was all Funimation

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm

omegalucas wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote: Actually in the Spanish dub (from Spain) of Resurrection of "F", his name was corrected to Beerus, meanwhile in the dub of Super they use Lord Bills and Lord Beerus at the same time (pretty inconsistent). After episode 27 they will stick with Beerus, upon requests from Toei.
Lucky for you guys. They don't seem to care for Portugal's mistakes unfortunately...
Yeah, I've seen the Portuguese dub, I don't know why they keep making the same mistakes.

PD:By the way, I'm not from Spain, but from Venezuela. :)
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Because YT comments

Fans who refer to the Funi in house dub with the Faulconer score as "the original DBZ" which is wrong both in the sense of the Japanese version and the original Funi/Saban/Ocean collab english dub

The fact that Funimation is absolved of any wrong doing for the first two broadcast seasons. With many fans on youtune and other places acting like Ocean (and less frequently Saban) wrote the scripts when in fact the scripts were written by funimations writers to the point they just recycled them for the uncut redub. HFIL, I can see their parachutes...they're okay, and "Your father was an average fighter but a brilliant scientist" was all Funimation
You're overreacting there. They don't mean English Z is the original, it's in comparison to Kai.

Even the most hardcore dub fans admit the Ocean dub had shitty scripts. And those lines you listed are not in the redub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 pm

You're right those lines are not in the redub. But most of the lines WERE in both versions. The only changes were their most out there and censored changes were altered and of course the stuff they originally left out. 90 percent of the time if the scene is in both version the dialog was exacty the same. Because Funimation was ALWAYS the script writers even when Ocean dubbed the show for them.

I never said those specific lines were in the redub btw I'm just stating those lines were written by Funimation themselves.

And I'm not overreacting. I've seen Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel referred to as the original voices. Yes I know they mean English voices that's still incorrect. They also will refer to the Falcouner score as the original score when comparing to Kai. Even talking strictly about the English dub that is incorrect.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 pm

I don't like that despite the fact that GT was created as the official continuation more than 20 years ago, and for quite a while fit comfortably enough in the timeline to the point that there was nothing stopping it from having happened after Dragon Ball Z (at least it doesn't sound like it), I am made to feel as though GT is the questionable stepchild that breaks the timeline and is the odd one out.

Let's be clear. Dragon Ball Super is the portion of the story that came more than a decade later and contradicted an already established timeline in which GT follows the End of Z.
It's not really anyone or anything in particular that upsets me on this issue. I feel like it's just a general stigma...when considering 'canon' or continuity in Dragon Ball, even my own reaction is to treat it like some black sheep timeline breaker.

It's a shame because I really quite enjoy both--Super's manga release schedule means I'm relatively behind the times but I really dig these forms, battles, and most of all the new characters (dare I say a bit more than the way GT introduced new characters and world-building), and I don't think I'll ever not like DBGT.

Rant over :)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It is in Latin America. And while I use Beerus, I dont like the implication that english dub names are okay and the Latin American one's arent. True, I never say "Milk" for Chichi, but the point stands.
This is something that has annoyed me for the longest time. I think DB is one of the few fandoms where the dub names are the default names, and everyone else is weird for not using them, at least in North America. Like back when we had the word filter, so many people would complain about it. Yeah sure it was stupid and a bit overboard, but at least it made sense. Those are the original names, and the dub names are just that, dub names.

And to piggyback off jamiljamtheman point, that's something that always seemed odd to me. GT was made as an official sequel and fits in perfect (till super) and so many people and quick to say, "not cannon". The Dragon Ball fandom is weird.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It is in Latin America. And while I use Beerus, I dont like the implication that english dub names are okay and the Latin American one's arent. True, I never say "Milk" for Chichi, but the point stands.
This is something that has annoyed me for the longest time. I think DB is one of the few fandoms where the dub names are the default names, and everyone else is weird for not using them, at least in North America. Like back when we had the word filter, so many people would complain about it. Yeah sure it was stupid and a bit overboard, but at least it made sense. Those are the original names, and the dub names are just that, dub names.
It's still better than dealing with names that no one has ever used and people are insistent about using. I'd go into detail but this isn't the thread to complain about the DB Wiki (and I'm not talking about the English one, that one is positively accurate compared to the PL one).
And it could have always been worse. Had Harmony Gold stuck Goku would be known as Zero in America.
Do whatever you like, ghost.