Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:15 pm

It would be nice to have a OVA that explains the story behind Freeza's Empire and how he runs the business with King Cold
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:35 pm

That's not a story as much as it is exposition.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:42 pm

ABED wrote:That's not a story as much as it is exposition.
Probably I didn't use the correct wording, but not just Freeza's Empire but his origin, early days until become the most feared figure in the Universe.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:50 pm

ABED wrote:Because doing something in your free time doesn't occupy as much of one's time as if you do it as an "occupation". It doesn't fit the concept of leisure or hobby. Freeza is never not a dictator.
There's a difference between being a dictator, and a conquer. A Conqueror is someone who conquers. A dictator is a ruler with complete and total power over a country (For Freeza it would be multiple worlds), typically one who has obtained by force. Freeza is a dictator, a monstrous, murderous vile dictator who rules over worlds with his God Like power which he was born with. But, he also has a hobby of conquering, and collecting worlds in his spare time. Which he quickly grows bored of as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Gog wrote:
ABED wrote:Because doing something in your free time doesn't occupy as much of one's time as if you do it as an "occupation". It doesn't fit the concept of leisure or hobby. Freeza is never not a dictator.
There's a difference between being a dictator, and a conquer. A Conqueror is someone who conquers. A dictator is a ruler with complete and total power over a country (For Freeza it would be multiple worlds), typically one who has obtained by force. Freeza is a dictator, a monstrous, murderous vile dictator who rules over worlds with his God Like power which he was born with. But, he also has a hobby of conquering, and collecting worlds in his spare time. Which he quickly grows bored of as well.
It's still not a hobby. HIs empire runs on conquering planets. It's how they obtain their vast wealth.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Gog wrote:
It's still not a hobby. HIs empire runs on conquering planets. It's how they obtain their vast wealth.
Then Freeza enjoys his horrible job, and does it as a hobby in his spare time as well.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Then Freeza enjoys his horrible job, and does it as a hobby in his spare time as well.
That's what makes him a villain and what is your basis for claiming it's a hobby done in his spare time? What specifically in the show makes you believe he conquers in his off hours?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:09 pm

ABED wrote: That's what makes him a villain and what is your basis for claiming it's a hobby done in his spare time? What specifically in the show makes you believe he conquers in his off hours?
I haven't actually watched Dragon Ball, I've only ever seen the dubbed versions of The Battle of Gods, and Resurrection of Freeza, I've read the series, but that's it. And heck this is what states that he conquers planets in his spare time:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Forget the caption. What in the story makes you think Freeza does it as a hobby? By series, it wasn't limited to the anime.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:01 pm

ABED wrote:Forget the caption. What in the story makes you think Freeza does it as a hobby? By series, it wasn't limited to the anime.
I'm going to be honest, nothing really does suggest. imply, or state that fact outside of the caption. (Except for one panel where Vegeta says that Freeza's bored of this planet already. But, I admit you can interpret that statement in many different ways.)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 pm

I'd have to know the context when Vegeta said it.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:56 pm

ABED wrote:I'd have to know the context when Vegeta said it.
Its just after he got from the healing pod after his battle with Earth. Vegeta asks if Lord Freeza's in, and his Doctor tells him he's out. To which Vegeta says that he's tired of this planet already. That's really it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm torn because on one hand, 16's death being the trigger for Gohan turning SS2 is weak, I'm glad his inclusion in the story made a difference.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:54 pm

ABED wrote:I'm torn because on one hand, 16's death being the trigger for Gohan turning SS2 is weak, I'm glad his inclusion in the story made a difference.
I hear it a lot, but was it really weak? #16 was able to get through to Gohan in a way that no one else could, only to be killed immediately after. It was the final straw needed to make everything finally click for Gohan. It would've been cool for one of Gohan's established role models to be the one to awaken him, but I could go on about what-if's all day in regards to that arc. The way it is holds up really well.
Retired.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:38 pm

ABED wrote:I'm torn because on one hand, 16's death being the trigger for Gohan turning SS2 is weak, I'm glad his inclusion in the story made a difference.
Do you think Cell killing Goku would have made it more believable?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I hear it a lot, but was it really weak? #16 was able to get through to Gohan in a way that no one else could, only to be killed immediately after. It was the final straw needed to make everything finally click for Gohan. It would've been cool for one of Gohan's established role models to be the one to awaken him, but I could go on about what-if's all day in regards to that arc. The way it is holds up really well.
16 is one of the characters who Gohan could truly relate to, in that he didn't show off his strength but was stronger than others and was actually truly peace loving. I mean most of the z fighters want peace but they enjoy fighting. Gohan didn't really enjoy having to fight.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 pm

But Gohan barely saw 16. Understanding him isn't the same as empathizing with him. How did 16 get to Gohan in a way no one else could? By telling him something Gohan already knew? Are you really telling me you don't think Gohan knew it's fine to fight against bad guys to protect your values?
Yes, wouldn't it be more understandable that the thing pushing Gohan over the edge was the death of his father? It didn't have to even be Goku. Hell, it could've been 16, but they should've spent more time together and formed a bond.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 pm

ABED wrote:How did 16 get to Gohan in a way no one else could? By telling him something Gohan already knew? Are you really telling me you don't think Gohan knew it's fine to fight against bad guys to protect your values?
For all intents and purposes, at that point in the story, Gohan is afraid to use his power to quell evil. This is well established throughout the Cell Games, and Gohan even momentarily regressed on that front after Goku died, only for Goku to remind him once again. Whether you think that character trait is justified or not is another issue, but once again, if we're going into what-if's, I could go on for days with this arc. It works fine in accordance with what Toriyama was going for at that point.
Retired.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:36 pm

ABED wrote:But Gohan barely saw 16. Understanding him isn't the same as empathizing with him. How did 16 get to Gohan in a way no one else could? By telling him something Gohan already knew? Are you really telling me you don't think Gohan knew it's fine to fight against bad guys to protect your values?
Yes, wouldn't it be more understandable that the thing pushing Gohan over the edge was the death of his father? It didn't have to even be Goku. Hell, it could've been 16, but they should've spent more time together and formed a bond.
Ha well I'd say that Gohan had a pretty messed up child hood so its probably not best to get inside his mind/ I wasn't being 100% serious about being understood in a way nobody else would.

I like the relevance it gave to 16 as he had been shown to have an accurate grasp of understanding the true power of everyone that arc so I found it cool that he got that out of Gohan.

I feel that if Goku could have gotten Gohan to go SS2 he would've done it in the year together. I think the point was that 16 represented the rest of the world/what Gohan was truly fighting for. It was bigger than just the Z fighters as he would've gone SS2 from the Cell Juniors alone.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:43 pm

It's not that simple. Goku knows what Gohan needs - anger. The issue is getting him that angry and Goku can't do that on command. This whole idea that he needed someone else to tell him something he already knew, that of all things it's something as self evident and trite as it's okay to fight to defend your values, is ridiculous. It's not a revelation.
It works fine in accordance with what Toriyama was going for at that point.
No it doesn't. If what he was going for was organic drama, then he failed. I still love him turning SS2 in the anime, but that's likely due to the music and Nozawa's performance, rather than the writing.

This might be able to fill its own thread.