Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Gog wrote:So, what are the Japenese spellings of Vados, Bulma, and Chi-Chi?
Vadosu, Buruma and Chichi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Gog wrote:So, what are the Japenese spellings of Vados, Bulma, and Chi-Chi?
This is one of those basic things that you can rely on the DB Wiki for (probably).

ブルマ, Buruma
チチ, Chichi
ヴァドス, Vadosu
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun May 28, 2017 2:01 am

Why are so many Fan Created Dragon Ball character's bad?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 28, 2017 2:08 am

Gog wrote:Why are so many Fan Created Dragon Ball character's bad?
They don't understand Toriyama's patterns. They either make things far too complex or too simple, and sometimes fans will write stories that resort to plagiarism of the original, which sucks any interest out of the equation. This is actually where I have to give credit to Toyotaro and his version of AF. While it was based on online rumors from the time, he managed to take those rumors, elements from official material, both Toriyama and non-Toriyama, and wove all of that into something that I think most would agree felt like it could've been a legitimate continuation in some parallel universe.
Retired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Gog wrote:Why are so many Fan Created Dragon Ball character's bad?
Are you kidding? This one is actually pretty good:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm

So, where can I find the character sheets for Goku Buu Saga, and Goku in BOG?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 31, 2017 12:27 am

Something funny I found on urbandictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... +DB+series
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

mallaard

Post by mallaard » Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am

Here's something stupid but it entertains me.

Way back when DBZ was running in syndication on our local UPN station, I taped the episode where Piccolo dies while saving Gohan from Nappa's mouth blast. The tape I used was really old and worn out, so that part where Piccolo's getting blasted all to hell the tape starts to break, so the sound starts grinding out. It stutters back in just before the attack finishes. I always thought it added to the impact of the attack, like when a strong wind blocks out all nearby noises. It was really cool.

I had a similar thing happen when I found a video rental store that had a bootleg VHS of Movie 12 for rent. I got it and dubbed it onto another video (because I was a big VHS pirate back then), but once again it was an old, used-up tape. During the scene where Goku rages out and goes SS3 against Jenenba, the tape breaks up and a scene from an old movie where Sidney Poitier is in a classroom tripping over a chair comes on. Then the tape warps back into Goku's transformation and he's all done. It looks like his transformation was so powerful that it warped other realities and caused a man to fall down in another universe. That always amused me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 am

mallaard wrote:Here's something stupid but it entertains me.

Way back when DBZ was running in syndication on our local UPN station, I taped the episode where Piccolo dies while saving Gohan from Nappa's mouth blast. The tape I used was really old and worn out, so that part where Piccolo's getting blasted all to hell the tape starts to break, so the sound starts grinding out. It stutters back in just before the attack finishes. I always thought it added to the impact of the attack, like when a strong wind blocks out all nearby noises. It was really cool.

I had a similar thing happen when I found a video rental store that had a bootleg VHS of Movie 12 for rent. I got it and dubbed it onto another video (because I was a big VHS pirate back then), but once again it was an old, used-up tape. During the scene where Goku rages out and goes SS3 against Jenenba, the tape breaks up and a scene from an old movie where Sidney Poitier is in a classroom tripping over a chair comes on. Then the tape warps back into Goku's transformation and he's all done. It looks like his transformation was so powerful that it warped other realities and caused a man to fall down in another universe. That always amused me.
That's a really cool story, and lines up perfectly with my VHS experience!

Related: we actually used this as inspiration for the Cell Games track in the "Doomrider" AMV project right as Gohan's exploding into Super Saiyan 2. Made the whole thing look VHS-ish up until that point, and then just had it totally fuzz out to nothing before coming back with crazy saturation and effects with the transformation itself.

(Some people thought we actually used terrible VHS footage!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

mallaard

Post by mallaard » Wed May 31, 2017 10:12 am

VegettoEX wrote:

That's a really cool story, and lines up perfectly with my VHS experience!

Related: we actually used this as inspiration for the Cell Games track in the "Doomrider" AMV project right as Gohan's exploding into Super Saiyan 2. Made the whole thing look VHS-ish up until that point, and then just had it totally fuzz out to nothing before coming back with crazy saturation and effects with the transformation itself.

(Some people thought we actually used terrible VHS footage!)
That's awesome! Sometimes the best inspiration is "found" art, just weird stuff that serendipitously lines up and looks neat. I know VHS manipulation used to be sort of a big thing in "video art," I think maybe some people still do it on Youtube.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed May 31, 2017 10:16 am

That's such an awesome little story, it's definitely got my vote as the best first post ever!
I really wish I taped more stuff as a kid, I never bothered to figure out how the damned VCR worked.

mallaard

Post by mallaard » Wed May 31, 2017 10:55 am

TheQuazz wrote:

That's such an awesome little story, it's definitely got my vote as the best first post ever!
I really wish I taped more stuff as a kid, I never bothered to figure out how the damned VCR worked.
Thanks! Yeah, we were a VCR loving household, we had at least 3 at any given time. I would often sneak two into my room to dub rented tapes onto blanks, usually keeping about three movies per tape. But if it makes everyone feel better, I eventually did buy the Blu-Ray combo pack of Movies 12 and 13.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:10 pm

The whole concept of Hoi Poi Capsules are amazing!

Can people imagine carrying all the stuff you want: small itens, vehicules, a freaking house in a little capsule? The entire transport market probably went bankrupt because of this invention!

No wonder Bulma and her family are the richest family in Earth though.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:06 am

If someone on the level of Tao was arrested, what do you think the cops would do with him? How would you even keep a guy like that in jail when he can just bust out of his cell and Dodonpa everyone around him to death?

On that note, how do you think Tao would fare against generic Freeza soldiers in combat?
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm thinking about rewatching Dragon Ball GT should I it? I haven't watched full episodes of it in like a decade.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:15 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I'm thinking about rewatching Dragon Ball GT should I it? I haven't watched full episodes of it in like a decade.
I don't see why not. If you got the time, go for it. If you didn't like it before, you might have a new appreciation for it upon a another viewing. Plus it's fairly short.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:08 am

I watched episode 39 of Super yesterday just to check up on Goku vs Hit, before I today, by luck, finally found the original japanese version of the Tekken OVA from the late 90's and just watched some of it to hear how the characters sounded like.
Interestingly enough Kazuya's voice sounded extremely familiar to one DB Super character I had just heard a lot of, the underwhelming yell sounding so alike it had to be the same guy!
And I was correct! Kazuhiro Yamaji, the voice of Kazuya Mishima in that old Tekken OVA does indeed provide the voice of Hit in DB Super!
Furthermore he will turn 63 tomorrow, so that's a fun coincidence :lol:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:12 am

Is it alright using a selected manga panel to prove your point in an argument?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Barry Karn was not a Super-original character!

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:26 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Barry Karn was not a Super-original character!
We all knew that before the episode premiere, mate.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs